ADVERTISEMENT

OOC

May 6, 2017
If you had 3-4 schools to pick from to schedule who would you?

For me -

PSU - rival game

WVU - stand filler

MD - dmv proximity

D1 schools who somewhat have a name but are average to below average - ECU, Southern Miss, Colorado, Colorado state, byu, Illinois, etc.

For me -

PSU - rival game

WVU - stand filler

MD - dmv proximity

D1 schools who somewhat have a name but are average to below average - ECU, Southern Miss, Colorado, Colorado state, byu, Illinois, etc.
always wanted a home and home with UMD, was jealous of WVU always playing them in past OOC, dating back to mid 90's. Think they did a home and home with the Col Buffs too, that would be cool. Not very good P5 program but still a nice win perception wise, good road trip, etc.

Outside of the obvious, psu/wvu/ND, some Pac 10 school (or whatever the conference is called) would be fun. Az state, (tempe is a cool town, close to Scottsdale and even Phx for a nice weekend). How about UT? Cant decide if I'd want to play texas or not.

always wanted a home and home with UMD, was jealous of WVU always playing them in past OOC, dating back to mid 90's. Think they did a home and home with the Col Buffs too, that would be cool. Not very good P5 program but still a nice win perception wise, good road trip, etc.

Outside of the obvious, psu/wvu/ND, some Pac 10 school (or whatever the conference is called) would be fun. Az state, (tempe is a cool town, close to Scottsdale and even Phx for a nice weekend). How about UT? Cant decide if I'd want to play texas or not.

Agree with a lot of what you said except Arizona. I went to Arizona to visit the brother in law as he works at the Grand Canyon. I must say not a fan of the Phoenix or Tempe area at all. Other than the Mexican food (some of the best I ever had) not enjoyable areas, just a very ugly cities in my opinion. Now the Flagstaff area is very nice.

As as far as other OOC teams, I am a minority here. Obviously I want to see Pitt win, but if given the option of watching Pitt beat MAC and FCS schools or playing and possibly losing to P5 schools I will chose the latter. I loved the games against Iowa and Mich St & Texas A&M in the 2000's even the loses as they were good match ups.. I want Pitt to get better so that we have more match ups like that and less like Okie St which was a miserable experience because we sucked so bad, not because we lost.. I would love to play all the Big 10 schools. I would love to play Texas, U So Cal, UCLA, Washington, Colorado. For the time being I would rather play Indiana/Illinois and such while we rebuild than watch Pitt vs Youngstown St again.

-Just saw the updated preseason Rankings from ESPN.

-Pitt plays 3 preseason ranked Top 18 teams in the country. in the non conference schedule Way to go toughest non-conference U once again. And Pitt wins 5-7 games this year because of a murder schedule again.

-Meanwhile other teams competing for the playoffs have 1 good ooc and a garbage pile of 3 cupcakes.

-Pitt will never win 10 games with this scheduling. Never

Reactions: Dillj

For me -

PSU - rival game

WVU - stand filler

MD - dmv proximity

I would do:

Arkansas/Vanderbilt
Purdue/northwestern/Minnesota/Indiana/Maryland/Rutgers
Rice

Reactions: JSSTartan
Agree with a lot of what you said except Arizona. I went to Arizona to visit the brother in law as he works at the Grand Canyon. I must say not a fan of the Phoenix or Tempe area at all. Other than the Mexican food (some of the best I ever had) not enjoyable areas, just a very ugly cities in my opinion. Now the Flagstaff area is very nice.

As as far as other OOC teams, I am a minority here. Obviously I want to see Pitt win, but if given the option of watching Pitt beat MAC and FCS schools or playing and possibly losing to P5 schools I will chose the latter. I loved the games against Iowa and Mich St & Texas A&M in the 2000's even the loses as they were good match ups.. I want Pitt to get better so that we have more match ups like that and less like Okie St which was a miserable experience because we sucked so bad, not because we lost.. I would love to play all the Big 10 schools. I would love to play Texas, U So Cal, UCLA, Washington, Colorado. For the time being I would rather play Indiana/Illinois and such while we rebuild than watch Pitt vs Youngstown St again.

As fun as it is to think about, these series haven’t been kind to Pitt over the last 10-15 years. It took one of the best individual talents in Pitt history to beat T A&M there and even he couldn’t keep Wlat from bungling the swinging gate game here. We dropped both to OkSt, both to MSU, both to Utah, 3 of 4 to Iowa, and both to Nebraska with the one upside being that they bought a ton of tickets.

Reactions: 3genpanther
As fun as it is to think about, these series haven’t been kind to Pitt over the last 10-15 years. It took one of the best individual talents in Pitt history to beat T A&M there and even he couldn’t keep Wlat from bungling the swinging gate game here. We dropped both to OkSt, both to MSU, both to Utah, 3 of 4 to Iowa, and both to Nebraska with the one upside being that they bought a ton of tickets.

-The Ok State game was on National TV and the stadium was empty in the 2nd quarter when we were losing something like 56-14 in the 2nd quarter. Great way to recruit talent!!! Keep loading up the non conference schedule to lose games, miss bowl season, get blown out on National TV, get players injured for the conference schedule, and no tuneup games for the younger guys to get experience.

Reactions: Teh Teh
You forgot Iowa State? Outside of Maryland because of proximity, I’m struggling to see the allure of any of those.

Victories?

That’s all I care about. After we get a few 9-3 seasons then I’ll worry about sos. It has seldom been a factor for power 5 schools during bowl season. In fact most bowl tie ins are for victories and dont consider SOS at all

Reactions: daminals76
Its actually 5 Top 18 teams.
Nothing you can do about playing Miami, VT and Notre Dame, most want a rival like Penn State.
And who would have thought UCF would be this good ?
Schedules are done years in advance.

Reactions: FieldHouse12
Victories?

That’s all I care about. After we get a few 9-3 seasons then I’ll worry about sos. It has seldom been a factor for power 5 schools during bowl season. In fact most bowl tie ins are for victories and dont consider SOS at all

I’m with you there. But I’d stick with MAC teams. Those jalopies aren’t going to draw any more fans, they likely require a 1 for 1 deal and some aren’t even gimme wins.

Again obviously i would love for Pitt to win, but outside of the Ok St series Ienjoyed those other games way more than I do seeing Pitt play the MAC and Youngstown St. Those Iowa games and T A&M games were fun and entertaining. I can honestly say there were very few games against the MAC where I was entertained, because Pitt either killed them or Pitt struggled and it is not fun struggling against a MAC team.

Reactions: Swervin27
Again obviously i would love for Pitt to win, but outside of the Ok St series Ienjoyed those other games way more than I do seeing Pitt play the MAC and Youngstown St. Those Iowa games and T A&M games were fun and entertaining. I can honestly say there were very few games against the MAC where I was entertained, because Pitt either killed them or Pitt struggled and it is not fun struggling against a MAC team.

Every year we make fun of ups's cupcake schedule and flaunt our hard schedule.. then when they go 6-1 against theirs and we are at 4-3 we say about how we almost won some, and then say our schedule was way more difficult, bla, bla, bla. Years later, or months later, who cares?? We careget a 10 win season. I want the cupcake schedule for awhile.

I’m with you there. But I’d stick with MAC teams. Those jalopies aren’t going to draw any more fans, they likely require a 1 for 1 deal and some aren’t even gimme wins.

That’s the key point... we would probably lose half of these “gimmies” anyways. I would like to play a lower tier power 5 every year (heck, we are considered that ourselves most years), and a cupcake or 2, and just filter in a good team every other year.

Victories?

But we would lose some of those games and certainly would have to play 1 and 1 series to get them. That scheduling would be even dumber than what we have now, because we wouldn't even sell tickets to those games.

But we would lose some of those games and certainly would have to play 1 and 1 series to get them. That scheduling would be even dumber than what we have now, because we wouldn't even sell tickets to those games.

-2009 team sold the most tickets, had the best record, finished ranked, and played the fewest ranked teams. Even the game against Youngstown put almost 50,000 in the seats. People in Pittsburgh dont support losing teams. If Pitt college football didnt learn that lesson yet, they learned it in basketball the last 2 years, and they certainly learned it with the Penguins in 2004. I guarantee if Pitt had 4 cupcakes ooc and was competing for 10 win seasons and a National Ranking, the stadium would look just like 2009 did, a schedule filled with cupcakes.

Victories?

Couldn't agree more... I would be 100% okay with playing all 4 cupcakes.

Most fans do want to see at least 1 rivalry game though.

Last edited:
I'm all for the Wisconsin model and scheduling no P5 teams to go with terrible non-P5 teams to stack wins.

If they are going to schedule a P5 team it needs to be WVU. If not WVU in a given year, make it Wisconsin..

For me -

PSU - rival game

WVU - stand filler

MD - dmv proximity

I would like to see Temple again, we haven't played them in a while and last time we played them Temple was not relevant my any means.

With that said I feel we need to have one of the following scheduled every year between, PSU, Temple, WVU, and Cincy. I know temple and Cincy may not be glamour but geographical and historical I enjoy them.

I would like to see Temple again, we haven't played them in a while and last time we played them Temple was not relevant my any means.

With that said I feel we need to have one of the following scheduled every year between, PSU, Temple, WVU, and Cincy. I know temple and Cincy may not be glamour but geographical and historical I enjoy them.

"PSU, Temple, WVU, and Cincy. I know temple and Cincy may not be glamour but geographical and historical I enjoy them."

I like your list, and would add Navy (Army, once in a while, too), and Maryland.

I doubt Georgia would want to play outside of their recruiting footprint, but it would be fun to have an occasional home and home series with them, and it might help Pitt's recruiting.

For me -

PSU - rival game

WVU - stand filler

MD - dmv proximity

I’m almost solely into it from a road game trip.

My choices would be:

UCLA
Washington
LSU
Michigan

- Vanderbilt, Nashville would be a fun trip
- KSU/KU/Mizzou, I want a game closer to me
- TCU; Good team and would be fun to check out Fort Worth.

OSU - should be a local rival, easy 3hr drive
WVU - fun, exciting, hatred. True rival
Tennessee - not that bad of a drive and would love an SEC team on the schedule.

I wouldn’t play Penn State if they offered Pitt a $20 million payout.

People need to forget about PSU and WVU. Pitt's new rivalries need to be built within the Coastal Division. You aren't going to play the pedos or hoopies more than a few times every 10 - 15 years.

I'm fine with rotating through P5 conferences and playing different opponents. I dig the upcoming Tennessee series. Rotate around the conferences for one solid named team each year. Florida, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Oregon, Wisky, Michigan, MSU. Give me some variety.

#1 WVU - would like to see a yearly rivalry game and screw Penn St
#2 MAC, Sun Belt or CUSA team - a game Pitt should (better) win that isn’t a total cakewalk
#3 any PAC game, hopefully one I can drive to. Doesn’t have to be USC, would like to see UCLA or either of the Arizona schools as well.
#4 BYU, Army or Navy

#1) Rotating National Opponent on 2-2 home-away schedules
#2) Rotating Opponent on a 2-2 home/away schedule in an area of recruiting prioritization
#3) See #2 but add a location worth visiting as an away fan

the home and home with UCF and Cincy are actually pretty respectable non P5 series, obviously we are catching UCF at their program peak which is our luck but when this series was announced, I liked it.

Id be curious Lyke's opinion on scheduling home and home non P5 games in the future. I think our last knucklehead said it wont happen anymore but he's gone to care for his elderly mother so that may have changed. This policy on paper is good but in reality, I like the idea of scheduling respectable non P5 programs. Flip side is, if they suck, its truly terrible (See FIU and Akron games recently). Those away games at FIU and Akron set back major Footballl at least 50 years perception wise.

Id say try and get avg to below avg P5 programs and above avg non P5 programs (Mt west teams) and avoid any FCS scrimmages like the plague..

Actually, I wouldn't want to overschedule. So if there are 4 OOC games, 2 have to be gimmies. Don't care who they are.

P5? Love the suggestion of Maryland. Shame they didn't stay in the ACC, would have been a nice regional rival.
I am so done with Penn State. I also grew up in the glory days of the rivalry, but I am just so done with their arrogance. If we can replace PSU with a rotation of ND/Michigan/Oklahoma/WVU that would be fine.
Wouldn't mind more PAC 12 cross country rivals with UW, ASU (which seems to have some real western PA connections), USC/UCLA.

Its actually 5 Top 18 teams.
Nothing you can do about playing Miami, VT and Notre Dame, most want a rival like Penn State.
And who would have thought UCF would be this good ?
Schedules are done years in advance.
actually, the subject is out of conference schedule...

I'd love an excuse for a trip to West Point or Colorado Springs. The two trips to Navy I took were both great times so doing that again would be fun too.

As far as overall scheduling philosophy, I'd be in favor of one P5 team, one AAC/BYU/Upper Mt. West (better G5 team), and two complete gimmies. Preferably from the MAC l, Sun Belt, or CUSA. But if we must then make it a regional FCS like Youngstown or Nova.

I’d like to see a survey of people by age bracket of what they think of PSU. I’m willing to bet people under 35 don’t see then as a rivalry and only see them as a cool local game. WVU is the true rival anymore.

That being said, I agree with Gunga, build your rivalries with Miami, VaTech, UNC. I’m all in favor of getting rid of all OOC games and having 2 preseason games vs Duquesne and Rober Morris instead.

I’d like to see a survey of people by age bracket of what they think of PSU. I’m willing to bet people under 35 don’t see then as a rivalry and only see them as a cool local game. WVU is the true rival anymore.

That being said, I agree with Gunga, build your rivalries with Miami, VaTech, UNC. I’m all in favor of getting rid of all OOC games and having 2 preseason games vs Duquesne and Rober Morris instead.
Pitt fans 40 and over- psu rivalry
Pitt fans 39-20- Wvu is rivalry
Pitt fans under 20- Syracuse?

I am actually on that cusp, im 41 ( I think) and I truly hate PSU but am kind of young to really recall too many great pitt-psu matchups. So in short, I hate PSU more but consider the Backyard brawl much more relevant..

The sad thing is, pitt fans in high school and maybe even college now will view the backyard brawl as irrelevant and outdated much like a lot of people in their 30's consider the pitt-psu rivalry irrelevant and outdated..

Non-P5 road games may be a thing of the past for Pitt, but I selfishly would be thrilled with USF... recruiting grounds is part of it, but it's mainly because I love to visit the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater areas and air travel options are plentiful, direct flights, and cheap!

Non-P5 road games may be a thing of the past for Pitt, but I selfishly would be thrilled with USF... recruiting grounds is part of it, but it's mainly because I love to visit the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater areas and air travel options are plentiful, direct flights, and cheap!
yeah, I see at cincy and at marshall but those were already set up. I was surprised we paid 1m+ for Miami OH to come here without a return game. That seems like a lot of money for us to pay just to get that 7th home game. cant for the life of me figure out how we make money on that but im bad with numbers so what do I know.

Reactions: JoseLind13
Pitt fans 40 and over- psu rivalry
Pitt fans 39-20- Wvu is rivalry
Pitt fans under 20- Syracuse?

I am actually on that cusp, im 41 ( I think) and I truly hate PSU but am kind of young to really recall too many great pitt-psu matchups. So in short, I hate PSU more but consider the Backyard brawl much more relevant..

The sad thing is, pitt fans in high school and maybe even college now will view the backyard brawl as irrelevant and outdated much like a lot of people in their 30's consider the pitt-psu rivalry irrelevant and outdated..

Put me in the first group you have listed as one who grew up on Pitt v PSU as the only rivalry game for each school.

When I was in high school, the WVU game was just another on the schedule every year. Proximity was the only factor that made it any different than, say, Syracuse. But, nonetheless, not anything to get fired up about.

Today, I'm firmly in the camp of not caring if either PSU or WVU is ever on Pitt's schedule again.

If I HAD to choose between one over the other, it would be PSU; otherwise, leave them both off, and move on.

I really liked the days of Pitt being an Eastern Independent, but those days are long gone. It's time to focus on the ACC schedule, and supplement it with one tough OOC game, and three soup cans.

I've done a 180 on that idea. It's really come down to, "If you can't beat 'em, join them" mentality. There's no reason for Pitt to have a higher standard for itself that other schools have. We tried that on the football academic front enough times in our past, and met disastrous results each time.

Reactions: PhPanther2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT