ADVERTISEMENT

OSU subpoenaed to produce records dating back to 2014 in regards to recruiting violations...

I see the NCAA has put Condi Rice in charge of "draining the swamp" so to speak. Must be a lot of agitah going around.

The Fed's are ALL in with this investigation.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/feds-t...candal-oklahoma-state-subpoena-183650183.html

(Don't know how to edit thread titles but the correct spelling is subpoenaed.)
Good for them!
The entire college basketball ( and it will extend to football) pay for play should be investigated with college admins, AD's, coaches, and players paying the appropriate price!
This is a slam dunk for the Feds, it involves big money, big people, and big players some in the Pro's!
We're one step closer to football and basketball minor leauges!

Last edited:
The Fed's are ALL in with this investigation.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/feds-t...candal-oklahoma-state-subpoena-183650183.html

(Don't know how to edit thread titles but the correct spelling is subpoenaed.)

I think if the FBI wanted to they could fill their time cards with investigations of NCAA basketball and football for the next several decades.

I suspect football is just as bad. You can't tell me some pretty decent athlete chooses to go to Alabama to just sit on the bench and thinks that will help him get to the pros. Some payola came first, even if it was small.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I suspect football is just as bad. You can't tell me some pretty decent athlete chooses to go to Alabama to just sit on the bench and thinks that will help him get to the pros. Some payola came first, even if it was small.

I suspect basketball is just a bit more aggressive in this coordinated effort since guys are going pro in one year instead of three.

[QUOTE="IamHeisenberg, post: 2035460, member: 4712"]I think if the FBI wanted to they could fill their time cards with investigations of NCAA basketball and football for the next several decades.

I suspect football is just as bad. You can't tell me some pretty decent athlete chooses to go to Alabama to just sit on the bench and thinks that will help him get to the pros. Some payola came first, even if it was small.[/QUOTE]
This isn't a "nickel and dime" event.
Its big money, big people, big Universities,and big companies conspiring to break the law especially if this investigation spills over into NCAA football.

This investigation has elements of bibery, NCAA rules violations,possible RICO Act violations, tax evasion, possible SEC violations for the shoe companies depending how the money was accounted for and more!

It's an easy one for the FBI since they're not working with experienced criminals, parties of interest will roll on the other guy since they're not going "up state" to take the rap, these people and companies never thought anyone would be interested in this, and I bet the money trail is a mile wide!

P.S. I bet some bigtime football coaches are calling their attorney and saying something like this:
Hey Bob I have this friend who's a football coach and I think he did this --------- do you think my friend is in trouble???

Last edited:
Football is bad no doubt. But for the most part I think it's as simple as boosters, money, and gifts. College basketball is much more toxic with aau, shoe deals, and all the shady characters involved with that stuff kids get involved with.

Reactions: bwh05 and levance2
OSU basketball but not football? Why is football being excluded from this?
Pryor wrecked 3 different cars in under 6 months, all leased from the same Columbus dealership. don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to piece that mystery together..

The NCAA knew, said they investigated, fooled the public and waited long enough for it to go away. That's what the NCAA does, they act like they are doing something, delay it long enough so everyone forgets and moves on to another topic..

I'm sure Brad Underwood & Travis Ford have been taking a lot of Pepto these last few weeks. Especially Travis

Go to your original post. At the top to the right hand side where there is an "unwatch thread" link there is a little wrench icon with a drop down arrow. Click the drop down arrow. One of the choices there will be "Edit Title".
Thank you - I fixed it. (I'm weird in that I like to fix any incorrect spelling I may type.)

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I'm sure Brad Underwood & Travis Ford have been taking a lot of Pepto these last few weeks. Especially Travis
Yep - Mr. Pitt-girl (Illinois) read this, looked at me and said , "Oh great.".

Pryor wrecked 3 different cars in under 6 months, all leased from the same Columbus dealership. don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to piece that mystery together..

The NCAA knew, said they investigated, fooled the public and waited long enough for it to go away. That's what the NCAA does, they act like they are doing something, delay it long enough so everyone forgets and moves on to another topic..

We're talking about a federal investigation here with lawyers trying to find a case to make their careers. Showing that some car salesman gave away leases in Columbus is meaningless compared to millions in fines or jail time from shoe companies' execs.

We're talking about a federal investigation here with lawyers trying to find a case to make their careers. Showing that some car salesman gave away leases in Columbus is meaningless compared to millions in fines or jail time from shoe companies' execs.

They'll get the Shoe Co Execs too! This whole deal is long hanging fruit for the FBI.
They'll put a bunch of Jr Agents on this to get their training wheels.
They investigate Fraud, Bribery, Corruption Mail Fraud ( which could be present here), and forward tax fraud and SEC matters to those agencies!

well its' about time. those shoe exec's giving money to high school basketball players has been a real drag on the safety of this country. im just glad now that one day soon, me and my kids will be able to walk the streets of this city, free of any worry..

They'll get the Shoe Co Execs too! This whole deal is long hanging fruit for the FBI.
They'll put a bunch of Jr Agents on this to get their training wheels.
They investigate Fraud, Bribery, Corruption Mail Fraud ( which could be present here), and forward tax fraud and SEC matters to those agencies!
Well two Adidas exec's were among the first 10 people arrested related to this case also, so yeah, the shoe companies are already involved.

well its' about time. those shoe exec's giving money to high school basketball players has been a real drag on the safety of this country. im just glad now that one day soon, me and my kids will be able to walk the streets of this city, free of any worry..
You crack me up. Honestly - this potentially is all good for schools like Pitt as it may even out the recruiting playing field.

You crack me up. Honestly - this potentially is all good for schools like Pitt as it may even out the recruiting playing field.
Hey, I'll take all the help I can get. I'm not offended by it, I just find it humorous how some people take this so serious. let's hope HCs, ADs are involved too. These evil show execs aren't just giving it away, school officials are why this is happening. I want to see HCs and ADs on the electric chair before some adidas rep.

Reactions: dirge999
well its' about time. those shoe exec's giving money to high school basketball players has been a real drag on the safety of this country. I'm just glad now that one day soon, me and my kids will be able to walk the streets of this city, free of any worry..
It's more than paying players.

When you have fraud, bibery, tax evasion, possible SEC violations in the mix its a big deal.

The companies who illegally paid the players and coaches got huge visibility and advertising for their products?
They potentially broke the law and should be prosecuted like anyone else who gets caught breaking the law!

Its called the Rule of Law one of the pillars of this country. Once that breaks down then you children may not be able to walk the streets free of worry!

Many U's and shoe companies play the game by the rules and are put at a competitive disadvantage by those who dont.

Once this crackdown takes place in football and basketball watch some of the Top Rat Coaches scurry to the NFL and NBA.

Yea I do feel a little bad for these people as this is basically a victimless crime brought upon by the ridiculous system of non-paid minor league basketball that created a market for this. For anyone who calls the players victims of exploitation, you can make just as compelling an argument that they actually helped those kids far more than the NCAA.

Yea I do feel a little bad for these people as this is basically a victimless crime brought upon by the ridiculous system of non-paid minor league basketball that created a market for this. For anyone who calls the players victims of exploitation, you can make just as compelling an argument that they actually helped those kids far more than the NCAA.
good point, there are no victims here, especially a high school kid getting 5 and 6 figures for doing something he was already doing for free..

good point, there are no victims here, especially a high school kid getting 5 and 6 figures for doing something he was already doing for free..

These kids take money from slimeball financial advisors who prey on the youth because of their amateur status and the parents' likely lack of financial flexibility. Once these kids are actually earning money, these guys are embezzling money and taking advantage of pro athletes, committing crimes because they've artificially gained their trust from a young age.

I don't know how many times you guys are going to incorrectly paint this as punishing kids for getting paid. That is the least interesting part of this whole investigation as far as the government is concerned.

These kids take money from slimeball financial advisors who prey on the youth because of their amateur status and the parents' likely lack of financial flexibility. Once these kids are actually earning money, these guys are embezzling money and taking advantage of pro athletes, committing crimes because they've artificially gained their trust from a young age.

I don't know how many times you guys are going to incorrectly paint this as punishing kids for getting paid. That is the least interesting part of this whole investigation as far as the government is concerned.
who is saying its punishing kids? These kids are high school kids getting money for putting a ball in a hoop, getting paid 6 figures to go get a free education cause they can jump high. I wish I was punished like that when I was 16..

What are you talking about? I hope coaches go down with ADs and this isn't just a witch hunt for a few shoe exec's, loser AAU coaches who we already knew were sumbags and one or two asst coaches who were offered up as sacrificial lambs to save the program.

who is saying its punishing kids? These kids are high school kids getting money for putting a ball in a hoop, getting paid 6 figures to go get a free education cause they can jump high. I wish I was punished like that when I was 16..

What are you talking about? I hope coaches go down with ADs and this isn't just a witch hunt for a few shoe exec's, loser AAU coaches who we already knew were sumbags and one or two asst coaches who were offered up as sacrificial lambs to save the program.

You claimed it is a victimless crime, which is analogous to saying that loan sharks are doing a favor by loaning money to people rejected by banks. They are doing a "favor" to these athletes because they're ripping them off down the road, and lining their own pockets.

I'm sure there's a bunch of mid-level kids that pick up a bit of cash and never develop, but some of these top kids are taking minimal sums as "amateurs" and likely losing it ten-fold to these same guys later. That is why there is an investigation.

I hope so, but I doubt it--it will probably just drive the "underhandedness" deeper under cover, most likely will still be done, just differently.

You claimed it is a victimless crime, which is analogous to saying that loan sharks are doing a favor by loaning money to people rejected by banks. They are doing a "favor" to these athletes because they're ripping them off down the road, and lining their own pockets.

I'm sure there's a bunch of mid-level kids that pick up a bit of cash and never develop, but some of these top kids are taking minimal sums as "amateurs" and likely losing it ten-fold to these same guys later. That is why there is an investigation.
if a kid is getting taken advantage of, AFTER they've become an adult and for the most part, is making millions of dollars, im not seeing the crime in this. so a scumbag is feasting on a dumb millionaire, sorry if I don't think the feds should prioritize this.. Shame on the FBI if this is the true cause of this investigation, our country faces bigger issues than a 22 year old basketball player who is too lazy to hire a financial consultant.

if a kid is getting taken advantage of, AFTER they've become an adult and for the most part, is making millions of dollars, im not seeing the crime in this. so a scumbag is feasting on a dumb millionaire, sorry if I don't think the feds should prioritize this.. Shame on the FBI if this is the true cause of this investigation, our country faces bigger issues than a 22 year old basketball player who is too lazy to hire a financial consultant.

What are you talking about? Have you actually read ANY of the reporting about this? The athletes agree in high school to hire these slimeballs once they turn pro. Once they are "handling" the athletes' money, they then embezzle it and pay themselves outrageous commissions because they did not have to compete against law abiding consultants because they hooked these kids way earlier.

Embezzling and operating ponzi schemes, as the guy from Pittsburgh at the center of all of this, was actually charged with.

Blazer, who founded Blazer Capital Management, was accused of investing money into movies and entertainment ventures without his clients' knowledge between 2010 and 2012. As part of his plea agreement with the U.S. Attorney's office, Blazer agreed to plead guilty to securities fraud, aggravated identity theft, false statements and documents, and two counts of wire fraud, according to the Sept. 19 cooperation agreement.

Those are crimes!

Reactions: PHATWOOD

That was a different OSU. :)

That's not why there is an investigation!
If a financial advisor/agent etc convinces an adult NBAer to sign a bad deal that's to bad for the NBAer!

There's no laws protecting people against Personal Stupidity! This happens everyday to professional athletes, entertainers, and others who are consenting idiots!

The investigation is about shoe companies and others redirecting money to U's, coaches, AD's, and others to entice players to attend a designated U and wear the shoe companies shoes.
The violations include:
Fraud
Bibery
Tax Evasion ( coaches, AD's, players, etc) A report I read indicated a lot of this money ended up with the coaches i.e. Pitino
SEC violations for the shoe cos how was this money accounted for allowing it to be redirected and essentially "unaccounted" for!

I know this may be a bit of a stretch but I consider schools like Pitt and whoever else played it mostly straight as victims. They suffered financially and competitively , hemorrhaging fans and support. And as a fan, I feel like that edge they gave themselves cheated me to the point where my enthusiasm has waned immensely. Now we have to pick up the pieces of a once fine program while Pitino and his ilk stole players who had us on their shortlists.

Hey wasn't our new AD Lyke at OSU in this timeframe????????????????

I know now all you dopes who said she was tight with the basketball coach "It Doesn't Matta", at the top of the athletic dept hierarchy at OSU ( Asst AD which she wasnt), will now say she was a nothing and buried in the OSU organization managing non revenue sports? Which is true!

Last edited:
Hey wasn't our new AD Lyke at OSU in this timeframe????????????????

I know now all you dopes who said she was tight with the basketball coach "It Doesn't Matta", at the top of the athletic dept hierarchy at OSU ( Asst AD which she wasnt), will now say she was a nothing and buried in the OSU organization managing non revenue sports? Which is true!
Oklahoma State not tOSU.

What are you talking about? Have you actually read ANY of the reporting about this? The athletes agree in high school to hire these slimeballs once they turn pro. Once they are "handling" the athletes' money, they then embezzle it and pay themselves outrageous commissions because they did not have to compete against law abiding consultants because they hooked these kids way earlier.

Embezzling and operating ponzi schemes, as the guy from Pittsburgh at the center of all of this, was actually charged with.

Blazer, who founded Blazer Capital Management, was accused of investing money into movies and entertainment ventures without his clients' knowledge between 2010 and 2012. As part of his plea agreement with the U.S. Attorney's office, Blazer agreed to plead guilty to securities fraud, aggravated identity theft, false statements and documents, and two counts of wire fraud, according to the Sept. 19 cooperation agreement.

Those are crimes!

This isn't about Ponzi schemes. Blazer got his and was the informant for this. By the way, how strange is it that the FBI informants for both the FIFA scandal and college basketball scandals both had the last name of Blazer. Its not that common if a last name. I wonder if there is Marty Blazer from Pittsburgh is related to Chuck Blazer and that's how they found him in the first place.

The crimes here are money laundering and wire fraud. Yes, they are crimes and yes they should be prosecuted. I am delighted this is happening but in the grand scheme of things, paying some HS kids to win their services after they graduate is so not a big deal. I can't call the kids victims because there is no contract saying they have to hire that advisor or wear that shoe. The victims, ok, are the honest (tongue-in-cheek) financial advisors and agents. Poor them.

Again, crimes, yes. Good for college basketball, yes. But what these guys did in the grand scheme of things didn't really hurt anybody.

Reactions: Swervin27
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT