ADVERTISEMENT

OT: #1 "Coolest City" is...

Mrs Buffett and I aren't from Pittsburgh although our kids went to PITT and live in suburban Pittsburgh.

At tailgates and other gatherings I try to explain to native Pittsburghers how great the Pittsburgh area is and they just give me the confused dog titled head look. If you've never lived elsewhere you don't and won't get it!

The people are really nice, it's a family oriented society, its a sports oriented city/ group of people, there's a ton of stuff to do, we bring our mountain bikes, golf clubs, and sometimes even our tandem kayak on our visits, and at night there's alot of fun things going on all over the area especially the Northshore and Southside.
A few years back money magazine rated the city on of the best places to live.
There's great jobs and job opportunities in Pittsburgh. Both of our kids 32 and 30 have their own home, have good jobs, and make really good money in Pittsburgh.
They're not participating in this supposed "millennial" lost generation.

A journalist who Mrs Buffett uses as a freelancer for her media business wrote an article about six months ago that millennials should scrap plans to move to NY City, San Fran, Seattle, etc and try Pittsburgh. Great advise!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"

Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

I've been to half the cities on that list:

Asheville NC
Savannah GA
Greenville SC
Kansas City, MO
Pittsburgh, PA

Savannah is the prettiest city... When General Sherman marched through Georgia during the Civil War, he burned everything to the ground, including Atlanta. When he reached Savannah, he stopped and couldn't do it. He said it was too beautiful to burn... He was right...

Kansas City reminded me a lot of Charlotte NC. A really nice City... Very underrated...

Asheville is another beautiful town, located in the mountains. The Biltmore Estate is a must see, especially during Christmas..

Greenville SC? I don't know why it's on the list... Nothing cool about it...

Asheville NC
Savannah GA
Greenville SC
Kansas City, MO
Pittsburgh, PA

Savannah is the prettiest city... When General Sherman marched through Georgia during the Civil War, he burned everything to the ground, including Atlanta. When he reached Savannah, he stopped and couldn't do it. He said it was too beautiful to burn... He was right...

Kansas City reminded me a lot of Charlotte NC. A really nice City... Very underrated...

Asheville is another beautiful town, located in the mountains. The Biltmore Estate is a must see, especially during Christmas..

I've been to Asheville NC very beautiful and agree with the Biltmore, but too hipster for my liking.

Savannah GA, I agree with you completly I really liked that town.

Haven't been to the other towns mentioned.

Asheville NC
Savannah GA
Greenville SC
Kansas City, MO
Pittsburgh, PA

I've been to all and none of them are like or can compare to the Pittsburgh area!
Savannah GA might get close. No match!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: Big Marty1

Asheville NC
Savannah GA
Greenville SC
Kansas City, MO
Pittsburgh, PA

Charleston ,sc should be on that list instead .
Love Charleston

Reactions: beiglepanther

Asheville NC
Savannah GA
Greenville SC
Kansas City, MO
Pittsburgh, PA

Lived in Greenville. My company is HQ'd in Greenville. It is definitely a cool city, if you don't think so, not sure what your experience was. Charlotte sucks. KC is much better than Charlotte. Raleigh is much better than Charlotte. Asheville and Savannah are both great.

I am currently in Milwaukee. Milwaukee is decidedly "NOT COOL"! It sucks.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Lived in Greenville. My company is HQ'd in Greenville. It is definitely a cool city, if you don't think so, not sure what your experience was. Charlotte sucks. KC is much better than Charlotte. Raleigh is much better than Charlotte. Asheville and Savannah are both great.

I am currently in Milwaukee. Milwaukee is decidedly "NOT COOL"! It sucks.

Yeah- Charlotte has developed a bit, thanks to a brewery scene - but cool isn’t an adjective I’d use.
It’s a nice city.

Asheville NC
Savannah GA
Greenville SC
Kansas City, MO
Pittsburgh, PA

Love Savannah almost as much as Charleston.

Reactions: pittmeister
Gotta chime in with Colorado Springs.

Awesome place.....much to do...great weather. Close to Denver but with elbow room......

I know...i know.....i am inviting a Crime and Punishment reply from Buffethead......

Greenville is super cool. Only a short drive away from Asheville and they make a good pair. Asheville is hipster and arty while Greenville has an awesome lively downtown with tons of nightlife. I like to visit Asheville but would love to live in Greenville.

Also, Montgomery? I've been there a few times, never came away impressed.

Glad to see Tallahassee (my hometown) get some love. Its super isolated but a really wonderful place to live.

Ive been to tallahassee in the spring and was blown away by the beauty of all the oaks....azaleas.....bougainvilla......crepe myrtles....

And ive been to Tallahassee in the Summer amid 102 degrees with no breeze.

Nice town.....

Ive been to tallahassee in the spring and was blown away by the beauty of all the oaks....azaleas.....bougainvilla......crepe myrtles....

And ive been to Tallahassee in the Summer amid 102 degrees with no breeze.

Nice town.....

A lot of antebellum history being the only southern capital not captured during the civil war. A real hotbed of culture and outdoor activities as well. Agree about the heat, summers could be awfully oppressive and swampy. But that goes for most of the south anyways. Interesting how many cities on this list are mid-sized southern cities.

Last edited:
Love Savannah almost as much as Charleston.

Savannah is beautiful, but I couldn't get past all the homeless people wandering the streets and loitering in the parks. Also all of the signs warning you not to leave anything of value exposed in your car and the signs in people's yards for delivery people not to leave packages. Not a place I'd rush back.

Savannah is beautiful, but I couldn't get past all the homeless people wandering the streets and loitering in the parks. Also all of the signs warning you not to leave anything of value exposed in your car and the signs in people's yards for delivery people not to leave packages. Not a place I'd rush back.

Homeless? Holy hell welcome to my hell this week in Milwaukee. Which isn't beautiful. But I have never been so frequently accosted by homeless/indigents looking for handouts. I did a nice deed yesterday and gave a lady $5. By Noon on walk back (2 blocks) from Convention Ctr to hotel, I was approached by 5 more, which brought the count for 10 in 3 days. I finally snapped at the last one and told them to "get the **** away from me".

Gotta chime in with Colorado Springs.

Awesome place.....much to do...great weather. Close to Denver but with elbow room......

I know...i know.....i am inviting a Crime and Punishment reply from Buffethead......

I lived in the Springs for a year. The weather is confusing in the fall and spring because it can go from 70 and sunny to snowing in ten minutes and people that live in a region like that have zero ability to drive in the snow. But it's cool because there is a lot to do very nearby.

Full disclosure: I've spent maybe 10 days in Pittsburgh over the last 10 years after having spent the first 20+ years living there.

And... what makes it so cool? I loved growing up in Pittsburgh. Great place to go to school. But... I don't see it. The biggest hurdle for me is that it isn't very walkable. So it's well and good that it's a budding food town, but I don't want to drive everywhere to try these places.

Charleston? The article was about cities to check out before everyone else does. Everyone has already checked out Charleston.

Actually, I might like Savannah a shade better than Charleston. Savannah is a little seedy in places, but then again I love New Orleans. So it makes sense that I might favor Savannah.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT