ADVERTISEMENT

OT:50M Payroll

MLB needs a salary floor to prevent this garbage. I don’t think it iis asking too much in to have a floor and frankly it helps the union. What a joke.

MLB is the closest American pro sport to the EPL. The Pirates are Watford, or Bournemouth, or Norwich City. Those fans are excited to just BE in the EPL. Pirates fans should be the same. You are in Major League Baseball. You will never win anything but you're in it!

The initial projections for 2020 are in and the Pirates’ team WAR is 24.4. Almost comical.

Yes they still owe him. He just signed a contract in 2018 that pays him $5.25million this year and $7.25million next season. After that they have two club options for 2022 and 2023 that will cost them $1.5million to buy out and get him off the books. So he is still owed $14million.

If he is suspended by MLB then they may not have to pay some of that. But as of now, he is on "administrative leave", which means they are still paying him.

I always thought these contracts included some sort of “morals” clause. Guess that’s a thing of the past. So if the guy can’t report because he’s in jail he still gets paid?
Unreal.

I always thought these contracts included some sort of “morals” clause. Guess that’s a thing of the past. So if the guy can’t report because he’s in jail he still gets paid?
Unreal.

Players who are unable to report due to some legal problem like that can be put on a restricted list, which is like unpaid leave. The team had to request it and MLB has to approve. That’s what they did for Kang. I think Vazquez is only on administrative leave because he hasn’t been convicted or missed any time. But that is likely to change if his troubles aren’t resolved before the season.

MLB is the closest American pro sport to the EPL. The Pirates are Watford, or Bournemouth, or Norwich City. Those fans are excited to just BE in the EPL. Pirates fans should be the same. You are in Major League Baseball. You will never win anything but you're in it!

Yeah, no not at all. EPL is won solely by 4 teams: Man U, Man City, Arsenal, and Chelsea. That's it. A total of 2 championships have been won in the past 30 years by teams not on that list.

Baseball is far more competitive than EPL. For example, the World Series has been won by a ton of small and medium market teams in the past 30 years: Arizona, Kansas City, Toronto, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Florida, etc. And a lot of other small and medium market teams have finished second: Cleveland, Detroit, Colorado, San Diego, Oakland, etc. Saying that the game is already lost because of payroll is nothing but excuse-making for worthless billionaire Bob Nutting. And it's divorced from reality insofar as other small teams have won it all, or at least had more than 3 good years out of the last 22. There's only one explanation for the Pirates lack of success: ownership would rather make money than win.

I think a better comparison to the modern Pirates are the 1990s Phoenix Cardinals or Cincinnati Bengals.

Reactions: pittdan77
I don't think a mayor can shake down a business owner because his business didn't generate enough secondary tax money from other enterprises if there isn't something already in place that defines how that's done.

It would be 100% an over reach. However, just even floating that idea in the media would be spectacular. It would put Nutting on the defensive and hopefully be one of many steps involved in him deciding to sell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT