ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Abramovich sanctioned

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Damn. And I was going to buy a new jersey with that sweet gold FIFA world champions badge on the front.

Antonio Rudiger, Andreas Christiansen and Cesar Azpilicueta are out of contract this summer and Chelsea will it be allowed to offer one. Christiansen is headed to Barcelona anyways, And Cesar likely is too. I did not want to lose Antonio. He is a beast.

I know you posted alot of good thing Abramovich has done. In the end, he is one of Putin's homies so for that, don't care what happens to him.

I know you posted alot of good thing Abramovich has done. In the end, he is one of Putin's homies so for that, don't care what happens to him.
I don’t are either. The shame of it is I feel dirty as a fan because my worry is about the summer window and not being able to resign Rudiger and/or replace three of our top 6 defenders. Yet people are dying and guys like Mike 412 and his family have suffered. So I feel a bit dirty worrying about this wars impact on sport.

at the end of the day, do we know anything about Abromavich? No. How close is he to Putin? We don’t know. But a bunch of politicians sanctioned a football team which really had nothing to do with the war. The 3 billion the club is worth doesn’t do anything to Ukraine.

I see Three has canceled their sponsorship, so that hideous logo won’t be on their jersey today. Lol.

I don’t are either. The shame of it is I feel dirty as a fan because my worry is about the summer window and not being able to resign Rudiger and/or replace three of our top 6 defenders. Yet people are dying and guys like Mike 412 and his family have suffered. So I feel a bit dirty worrying about this wars impact on sport.

at the end of the day, do we know anything about Abromavich? No. How close is he to Putin? We don’t know. But a bunch of politicians sanctioned a football team which really had nothing to do with the war. The 3 billion the club is worth doesn’t do anything to Ukraine.

I see Three has canceled their sponsorship, so that hideous logo won’t be on their jersey today. Lol.
I only go off the limited reading I've done and seeing he is homies with him. One of the biggest oligarchs in that country and we know oligarchs and putin go hand in hand.

I just don't get how they're gonna prevent a sale or atleast that's how I read it. I get he'll get a return but it's almost like the Brits are holding the club, not Abramovich, hostage.

Now if you wanna freeze his earnings from the sale, I guess...but don't hold up the actual sale itself.

Yeah, that sponsor logo is so odd.

I am gobsmacked this has occurred. It sets a terrifying precedent. If we don’t like someone, or someone’s friends, or something…, we can take their stuff. AND pretend taking their stuff is OK because … reasons?

I am gobsmacked this has occurred. It sets a terrifying precedent. If we don’t like someone, or someone’s friends, or something…, we can take their stuff. AND pretend taking their stuff is OK because … reasons?
I am just cynical in nature when it comes to politics, and the men who participate.

Reactions: PeetWeet2

Putin is the worst European since Hitler so I think its more like "canceling" anyone remotely associated to such a monster.

How close is he to Putin? The general consensus is that he is one of the three oligarchs closest to Putin. The day after the invasion began, he flew his Boeing 787 to Moscow and personally met with Putin.

I was surprised that Britain sanctioned him. It has sanctioned almost no Russian oligarchs or businesses so far — less than 10% of the number sanctioned by the EU. The thinking is that the Russians have a lot they could spill about Boris Johnson, who rose to prominence on BREXIT, which was financed to a significant extent by illegal Russian donations. But, Abramovich has made such a public figure of himself that people began clamoring hard for sanctioning him.

Some oligarchs try to keep a low profile. He is the opposite: The biggest flat in Central London, which he keeps making bigger by buying additional floors of the building; that 787, bigger than AF-1; a huge yacht; owning the top night club in Saint Tropez; and owning Chelsea. He also is building a new home somewhere else but I can’t recall the city. He started by buying 4 units and joining them together, and has been buying adjacent units one at a time. I believe he now owns 8. He now travels under a Portuguese passport, and there now is an investigation into how he got it.

Quite a few countries have the Golden Visa program where if you open a business employing locals or buying a home worth at least a specified $ amount (usually 500,000 Euros) you can get a Golden Visa, which allows you to stay there more than the normal 90 consecutive day limit of a tourist visa. Then, after 6 years of living there, you can become a citizen. He bought a property there but somehow bypassed the 6 year living requirement and immediately got citizenship and a Portuguese passport. He also has Israeli citizenship.

The irony is that is exactly how many of the Russian oligarchs became rich. They didn’t build new businesses like Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. They didn’t create anything. After the fall of the Soviet Union and the decision to go to a capitalist system, Russia had all of these state-owned businesses to privatize. They auctioned them off. Sounds fair. Except the auctions were by invitation only; only one bidder or at most two were invited to each auction; and every business was sold for a sliver of what it was worth. Abramovich ended up owning 3 of Russia’s most lucrative businesses for a song. The Russian people suffered because they never received the money they should have from those sales.

I don’t know if Abramovich was a mobster or what his connections were to weasel his way into 3 of those only-bidder auctions, but he did. If the Brits take every penny from him — which they won’t — I wouldn’t shed a tear. If someone puts a bullet in his brain, I won’t weep.

And, it’s not like sanctions are imposed just because a country decides it doesn’t like your After Shave. Russia had to invade another country and commit war crimes on a massive scale before it was sanctioned. Putin’s enablers like Abramovich allowed that to happen.

The irony is that is exactly how many of the Russian oligarchs became rich. They didn’t build new businesses like Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. They didn’t create anything. After the fall of the Soviet Union and the decision to go to a capitalist system, Russia had all of these state-owned businesses to privatize. They auctioned them off. Sounds fair. Except the auctions were by invitation only; only one bidder or at most two were invited to each auction; and every business was sold for a sliver of what it was worth. Abramovich ended up owning 3 of Russia’s most lucrative businesses for a song. The Russian people suffered because they never received the money they should have from those sales.

I don’t know if Abramovich was a mobster or what his connections were to weasel his way into 3 of those only-bidder auctions, but he did. If the Brits take every penny from him — which they won’t — I wouldn’t shed a tear. If someone puts a bullet in his brain, I won’t weep.

And, it’s not like sanctions are imposed just because a country decides it doesn’t like your After Shave. Russia had to invade another country and commit war crimes on a massive scale before it was sanctioned. Putin’s enablers like Abramovich allowed that to happen.
Thank you for your insight and history. My questions are, why now? and where is the due process? Putin has been bad for quite some time. Abramovich was an oligarch when he bought Chelsea. Other EPL owners have oil money. Are their money sources really any cleaner or dirtier than Abramovich’s?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT