ADVERTISEMENT

Dukies just got screwed

wbrpanther

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
Tie score. Dukie takes the inbounds and drives to the hoop as time runs out. Replay clearly showed his hand is hacked with .2 seconds on the clock. Refs look at it a decide it was after time ran out so we have OT.

Tie score. Dukie takes the inbounds and drives to the hoop as time runs out. Replay clearly showed his hand is hacked with .2 seconds on the clock. Refs look at it a decide it was after time ran out so we have OT.
That was a horrible call - how could they not see that the contact was before the clock went to zero?

By the way, Virginia had 2 fouls to give - they should have fouled him as soon as he caught the ball.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
For the first time in ACC history, Duke will likely be receiving an apology letter from the conference.
They did get it. I told my Duke body now they should go back and issue apologies for all the games Sheldon Williams played in
” we are very sorry. He actually committed 15 foils, but was only charged with three.”

Reactions: JD1976 and Fredact
What is the actual rule on that. I think there was a similar play in a recent Pitt game (but with the shot clock). You get hacked with 0.2 seconds left but the ball doesn't release your hand until after 0.0? The contact was before. The shot was after. If a player doesn't get an actual shot off before the buzzer, can you call a shooting foul? FWIW, I think Filipowski did beat the buzzer

Would the call have gone Duke’s way if K. was still coaching?……..

There's a video clip from a different angle circulating. It shows that Beekman got a clean block, and that Dunn didn't make contact. Very different from what you think you saw in the broadcast. That said, there are no means by which the officials are allowed to reverse the call. If I am not mistaken, it was not reviewable. So, the crew blew the original call, and then made up a reason to correct it. The end result was as it should have been, but the way it was reached is a bit concerning. And, just to add, before I saw the play from the different angle, I was pretty certain that Filipowski was fouled.

Here's a link:
I don't see a foul here.

Last edited:
There's a video clip from a different angle circulating. It shows that Beekman got a clean block, and that Dunn didn't make contact. Very different from what you think you saw in the broadcast. That said, there are no means by which the officials are allowed to reverse the call. If I am not mistaken, it was not reviewable. So, the crew blew the original call, and then made up a reason to correct it. The end result was as it should have been, but the way it was reached is a bit concerning. And, just to add, before I saw the play from the different angle, I was pretty certain that Filipowski was fouled.

Here's a link:
I don't see a foul here.
So you are saying the ACC saying they missed the call are incorrect? Lol

Here's a link:
I don't see a foul here.
He most certainly made contact with his hand. But that is irrelevant. A foul was called and there were .2 seconds left.

Reactions: FireballZ

Here's a link:
I don't see a foul here.

That's a terrible angle. #2 clearly contacted him with his body. Now would it have been the worst non-call in the world had they not called it? No. But it was a foul.

Why is that a terrible angle? It clearly shows Beekman got ball. To call a foul there was ridiculous, imo.

Its behind the play. The TV view shows him 100% contacting his body in the air. Absolutely a foul. But as I said, with the game on the line, I wouldn't have had a problem with letting the foul go because he didnt hit him super hard.

Its behind the play. The TV view shows him 100% contacting his body in the air. Absolutely a foul. But as I said, with the game on the line, I wouldn't have had a problem with letting the foul go because he didnt hit him super hard.

The foul wasn't called on Beekman. It was called on Dunn. Where did Dunn make contact?

It was pretty clear. They showed a replay several times at the game on Saturday. The foul wasn't called on the guy blocking the shot. It was called on Dunn (13)

And if it wasn't then that's just another error. Because the guy blocking the shot not only got the ball, he got the hand and the wrist and the arm. And the clip in the link actually shows him getting a piece of the arm, if you actually look for it.

Look at the original contact there. You can clearly see number two's elbow making contact with Filipowski's elbow. Just like you could on the replays that most people have been showing since it happened.

It was obviously a foul, obviously a shooting foul, and obviously happened before the clock got to zero.

And if it wasn't then that's just another error. Because the guy blocking the shot not only got the ball, he got the hand and the wrist and the arm. And the clip in the link actually shows him getting a piece of the arm, if you actually look for it.

Look at the original contact there. You can clearly see number two's elbow making contact with Filipowski's elbow. Just like you could on the replays that most people have been showing since it happened.

It was obviously a foul, obviously a shooting foul, and obviously happened before the clock got to zero.

Yeah probably. It was all clean in my biased opinion.

Ty Jerome double dribbled too. And Kyle Guy wasn't really fouled. There's missed calls in every game. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Go Hoos!!!

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT