ADVERTISEMENT

OT: All Star Games

jivecat

Senior
Jul 5, 2001
Are All Star games primarily an American phenomenon? Focusing on the major world sports throughout the world. I cannot recall a soccer (football) all star game held throughout Europe. No rugby all star game in Australia, South Africa, or island nations. No all star cricket match in Asia. No all star rock throwing in the Middle East.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I know this, they have long past their expiration date. MLB was the ultimate, the only chance of say seeing Steve Carlton pitch to George Brett. NFL has long been past, I mean who wants to play after their season is long gone. And with every game televised in every sport, there is no more intrigue. Plus, these guys make so much money, at one time the All Star games where nice supplements to their salaries.

College all star games are fun because they are essentially a job interview for the next level. I always enjoyed the Senior Bowl, Shrine Bowl, Blue-Grey (when it existed).

MLB all star game can be okay, but the rest can go away.

people now seem genuinely angry about these all star games. people flipping out about the nba all star game, the nfl game has been mocked for decades but now people just seem really upset about hockey and hoops all star games too.

i dont get it, i mean yes, it's not nearly as entertaining as it was but why be this angry about it, just dont watch.

people now seem genuinely angry about these all star games. people flipping out about the nba all star game, the nfl game has been mocked for decades but now people just seem really upset about hockey and hoops all star games too.

i dont get it, i mean yes, it's not nearly as entertaining as it was but why be this angry about it, just dont watch.
I'm with you. I don't really know what people expect from these games.

I'm with you. I don't really know what people expect from these games.
i was at the 90 NHL one at the igloo, it was awesome. never heard a louder chant than when Mario was announced, still gives me goosebumps. 4 minutes of MARIO MARIO, man it was sweet.

I have some good memories of some NBA all star games too, not that long ago. late 90s, even into the early 2000's. Football, cant recall i have one good memory ever of an NFL All star game being good in my lifetime..

baseball, last good one was in 86 when Doc went up against Roger Clemons. intrasquad scheduling ruined baseball's all star..

hey, things run their course, things get stale, it happens.

i was at the 90 NHL one at the igloo, it was awesome. never heard a louder chant than when Mario was announced, still gives me goosebumps. 4 minutes of MARIO MARIO, man it was sweet.

I have some good memories of some NBA all star games too, not that long ago. late 90s, even into the early 2000's. Football, cant recall i have one good memory ever of an NFL All star game being good in my lifetime..

baseball, last good one was in 86 when Doc went up against Roger Clemons. intrasquad scheduling ruined baseball's all star..

I was there in 91 also. One of the most electric atmospheres I've ever seen. Pittsburgh has to get another soon, right? I mean its been 34 years and there's only 32 teams.

The MLB game always was and still is the best because baseball isnt a team sport. Its an individual sport with team components similar to wrestling. Its pitcher vs batter 1v1 with everyone watching. You have no choice but to give it your best shot.

I like the hockey idea with the mini tournament but I dont know that that's helped the competitiveness.

Here's my idea for the NBA game:

Mini Tournament
USA East (based on where the players were born/grew up and not necessarily the basketball boarding school they attended for HS)

USA West

Europe

World (mostly Africa + South America)

10 man rosters. 500K for winning players. 500K made the Lakers and Pacers play hard for what was essentially a mid-season exhibition game in Vegas.

I know this, they have long past their expiration date. MLB was the ultimate, the only chance of say seeing Steve Carlton pitch to George Brett. NFL has long been past, I mean who wants to play after their season is long gone. And with every game televised in every sport, there is no more intrigue. Plus, these guys make so much money, at one time the All Star games where nice supplements to their salaries.

Yeah, MLB was cool before rampant free agency and interleague play. The others have sucked for a long time. And the Pro Bowl is so bad that it actually skews career resumes, because guys will be "Pro Bowlers" after the first 27 guys they chose told them they'd rather stay home and wash their hair.

On top of all that, selecting all-stars after only half of a season has been played is also pretty dumb. They should just squash all the silliness and name all-stars like they do all-conference teams in college football. I don't need to see Baker Mayfield - maybe the league's 20th best quarterback on a good day - try to throw footballs at moving dinner plates and into garbage cans, like I'm watching a Nickelodeon Guts redux. Dumb.

Last edited:
That's cherrypicking the last minute of a game. I've seen recent All-Star games with guys trying when its close at under 2 minutes.
maybe, just seems like games were actual games back then but maybe not. recently though, man they are brutal. and pretty much across the board with hockey and hoops.

Baseball you really cant half-ass it, i mean it's baseball, so pitchers will pitch, hitters will hit so again, the lack of effort is hard to show itself in a sport where there isnt alot of effort there in the first place..

football has always been terrible.

maybe, just seems like games were actual games back then but maybe not. recently though, man they are brutal. and pretty much across the board with hockey and hoops.

Baseball you really cant half-ass it, i mean it's baseball, so pitchers will pitch, hitters will hit so again, the lack of effort is hard to show itself in a sport where there isnt alot of effort there in the first place..

football has always been terrible.

The NBA game has become less competitive but it hasnt gotten much worse over the years. The big difference is that guys are much better shooters now than in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, so they make a ton more 3s.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
The NBA game has become less competitive but it hasnt gotten much worse over the years. The big difference is that guys are much better shooters now than in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, so they make a ton more 3s.

3-point shot used to be my favorite part of the game, but that's what ruined it. Like a glitch they found in a video game or something. Those traditional centers (such as the 90's guys like Olajuwon, Shaq, Ewing, Robinson, Duncan, etc.) had such huge personalities, and the game is missing that, among other things.

Like my friend observed when we started playing again a few years ago, it's really trickled down to all levels/walks of the game. I used to be one of the only guys we played with who almost exclusively shot threes. Now it's everybody, including guys with ugly shots. And the crazy part is everybody makes them, too. Like they used to fear them for some reason, until the NBA said, "Nope, coast is clear to let 'em fly."

I sat next to Mario's mom and dad during that game. I mean in the seat right next to them. It was awesome to see them react to the chants and cheers.

3-point shot used to be my favorite part of the game, but that's what ruined it. Like a glitch they found in a video game or something. Those traditional centers (such as the 90's guys like Olajuwon, Shaq, Ewing, Robinson, Duncan, etc.) had such huge personalities, and the game is missing that, among other things.

Like my friend observed when we started playing again a few years ago, it's really trickled down to all levels/walks of the game. I used to be one of the only guys we played with who almost exclusively shot threes. Now it's everybody, including guys with ugly shots. And the crazy part is everybody makes them, too. Like they used to fear them for some reason, until the NBA said, "Nope, coast is clear to let 'em fly."

I think the game of basketball is going to need to do something about this. Guys are such great shooters now. You have Centers now shooting 3s as well as the best 3 point shooters in the 90s. They may have to take away the corner 3 and make the NBA line like 28 feet and the college line 25 with no corner 3.

Most of us reminiscing about the all star games of our better days are getting closer to our expiration date as well. There’s always Blue Bloods reruns on some channel.

i dont have an answer how to fix it, i dont think anyone does. there really arent any bad guys in this. i dont blame a player for kind of going half ass on this, especially in more contact sports like football and hockey..

Hoops, i dont get it to be honest but again, they dont want to be there so why even force it. the actions of these guys are more than telling. Do you just shut it down and lose a lot of money? Do you add bigger incentives?

again, we all see the problem but no one knows the solution. But here is a bigger question? What has changed from the past to now? Why did they care back then but now now? again, this isnt just nba but NHL too

i dont have an answer how to fix it, i dont think anyone does. there really arent any bad guys in this. i dont blame a player for kind of going half ass on this, especially in more contact sports like football and hockey..

Hoops, i dont get it to be honest but again, they dont want to be there so why even force it. the actions of these guys are more than telling. Do you just shut it down and lose a lot of money? Do you add bigger incentives?

again, we all see the problem but no one knows the solution. But here is a bigger question? What has changed from the past to now? Why did they care back then but now now? again, this isnt just nba but NHL too
What changed is that the stakes are way to high to bother with playing aggressively. Imagine a playoff contender with a very small window to win a championship, losing their best player for the rest of the season? There would be a-holes like Steven A Smith questioning why a player would go all out in a meaningless game. It's really a no-win for the players. No matter what they do, it's wrong. Most of them would rather have a few days off.

I disagree. The bball guys do want to be there but they dont want to exert much energy, especially on defense. They dont even play defense in the regular season let alone an All-Star game. The East made 42 3s. The 3 point shot is just too easy. They took 97 so shooting 43.2% even with very little defense is really good especially since probably 30 of those shots were from "logo" range. Heck, Dame made 2 from half-court and what amazes me about those long-rangers is they are regular jump shots. Their form is the same from 25 feet or 50. If I shoot a half-courter, I have to get a running start and strain myself. These guys are shooting jumpers from mid-court. Its like they hacked the 3 point code.

What changed is that the stakes are way to high to bother with playing aggressively. Imagine a playoff contender with a very small window to win a championship, losing their best player for the rest of the season? There would be a-holes like Steven A Smith questioning why a player would go all out in a meaningless game. It's really a no-win for the players. No matter what they do, it's wrong. Most of them would rather have a few days off.
ok, i get it but the stakes were high in the 80s yet magic, bird, worthy, drexler, all those guys played hard. stakes were high for michael jordan in the 90s and kobe in the 00's but they all played pretty hard in the all star game, they all seemed to genuinely care and not want to embarress themselves or the league out there with pitiful performances..

the stakes were no less then than they are now..

the more i think about hockey, the more i realize that they never really played a lick of defense at these. even the one i was at in 1990, it was basically just an onslaught of odd man breaks. I think Mario had 3 goals in the first period, a true hat trick. score was like 10-9 or something.

I disagree. The bball guys do want to be there but they dont want to exert much energy, especially on defense. They dont even play defense in the regular season let alone an All-Star game. The East made 42 3s. The 3 point shot is just too easy. They took 97 so shooting 43.2% even with very little defense is really good especially since probably 30 of those shots were from "logo" range. Heck, Dame made 2 from half-court and what amazes me about those long-rangers is they are regular jump shots. Their form is the same from 25 feet or 50. If I shoot a half-courter, I have to get a running start and strain myself. These guys are shooting jumpers from mid-court. Its like they hacked the 3 point code.
watching an nba player take a jump shot from half court is insane. i agree, the strength alone is crazy. i'd be doing the same, running and heaving it like the halftime guy who makes one occasionally for a 50k check.

ok, i get it but the stakes were high in the 80s yet magic, bird, worthy, drexler, all those guys played hard. stakes were high for michael jordan in the 90s and kobe in the 00's but they all played pretty hard in the all star game, they all seemed to genuinely care and not want to embarress themselves or the league out there with pitiful performances..

the stakes were no less then than they are now..
Jordan made around $100 million in his career. Steph Curry will make that in two seasons.

The worst thing is the pick-up team thing, like LeBron's team vs. Giannis team, East vs. West is better. The NHL mini tournament was great for a while, then they ruined it by making that pick-up teams instead of divisions. With divisions I could root for the team with the Penguins and its clear-cut rooting interest, which is the biggest factor for me to enjoy sports.

The worst thing is the pick-up team thing, like LeBron's team vs. Giannis team, East vs. West is better. The NHL mini tournament was great for a while, then they ruined it by making that pick-up teams instead of divisions. With divisions I could root for the team with the Penguins and its clear-cut rooting interest, which is the biggest factor for me to enjoy sports.
Hockey had a most natural thing to make it somewhat interesting, but they went away from it. North America vs the World. There are enough great Euros to field more than a competitive team to play against the US/Canadian guys.

Hockey had a most natural thing to make it somewhat interesting, but they went away from it. North America vs the World. There are enough great Euros to field more than a competitive team to play against the US/Canadian guys.

They dont hit though. You cant have a real hockey game without hitting. Give the NBA guys 500K for winning and you'll see them put effort in.

They dont hit though. You cant have a real hockey game without hitting. Give the NBA guys 500K for winning and you'll see them put effort in.
This is why NIL has ruined sports, everyone from a young age will be programmed that it's not worth the effort without big pay. used to be guys wanted to win for free. Just to say they won.

The great thing about those early Mario All-Star games is that we got to see what he could do when he got the Gretzky treatment. It was amazing.

This is why NIL has ruined sports, everyone from a young age will be programmed that it's not worth the effort without big pay. used to be guys wanted to win for free. Just to say they won.
Well we are seeing this in college now with opt outs and so forth. And I hate to say this, this is the divide between Gen X/Boomers vs Millennials/Gen Z. We were taught rightly or wrongly to honor commitments and when you are part of a team you do your part, where now it is being taught selfishness and self serving/promotion (aka your brand) is the way to go. Maybe we were suckers, but maybe society was better for us subscribing to kind of being a bit less selfish.

Oh god...here we go. On that note, these guys make so much money now, the sport, every game is televised and promoted, they would rather have a 4-5 day vacation in Hawaii or the Bahamas than go to say Cleveland for All Star weekend. I can't blame them for that.

Here's the thing though, a lot of NBA stars play in this elite pickup "league" in the summer. Its not a real league. Its pickup. But you see highlights of these All-Stars going balls out against each other like its Game 7 and they're doing it for free in front of nobody. So you hear former NBA players turned analysts saying just play like you do for that.

Well we are seeing this in college now with opt outs and so forth. And I hate to say this, this is the divide between Gen X/Boomers vs Millennials/Gen Z. We were taught rightly or wrongly to honor commitments and when you are part of a team you do your part, where now it is being taught selfishness and self serving/promotion (aka your brand) is the way to go. Maybe we were suckers, but maybe society was better for us subscribing to kind of being a bit less selfish.

Oh god...here we go. On that note, these guys make so much money now, the sport, every game is televised and promoted, they would rather have a 4-5 day vacation in Hawaii or the Bahamas than go to say Cleveland for All Star weekend. I can't blame them for that.
It's not a generational thing...it's an intelligent thing. These players are not locked into long term contracts with one team (free agency) and need to protect their most valuable asset (themselves). These games will not put bread on the table and are risk a long term opulent contract. Anyone with half a brain would not risk any type of injury to play the all star games.

Reactions: happjack
Aussie NRL plays the State of Origin all star game. They take it very seriously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT