ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bands that went from GREAT to SAAWFT!!!!

Radiohead’s last couple albums I think are bad.
In rainbows was great -
But I think they are in decline

Few of these bands can sustain much as they hit their 40s and 50s. There is a skill to getting out at the right time. I like Pink Floyd's post-Waters stuff but they probably should have quit after The Wall. And while The Who had some good stuff post-Moon, they probably should have ended when he died.

In rainbows was great -

I agree that the last few albums have not been to the level of In Rainbows and the records before that point, but I would still call them good records. They have only released two commercial albums in the past 13 years (since In Rainbows), so they have not exactly been releasing a lot of material.

More interestingly with them, Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood release their own projects (solo/soundtrack albums for Yorke and soundtrack albums for Greenwood) that are high quality (probably more so than The King of Limbs at least). Suspiria and ANIMA were very high quality records in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: thirteenNINE
I agree that the last few albums have not been to the level of In Rainbows and the records before that point, but I would still can them good records. They have only released two commercial albums in the past 13 years (since In Rainbows), so they have not exactly been releasing a lot of material.

More interestingly with them, Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood release their own projects (solo/soundtrack albums for Yorke and soundtrack albums for Greenwood) that are high quality (probably more so than The King of Limbs at least). Suspiria and ANIMA were very high quality records in my opinion.
Yeah -
Just May be the heavily electronic sound tilt bores me , to be fair.

as a 15 second clip- say for phone alerts they are good -
Mr magpie is my go to alert
But 4-5 minutes of it - isn’t for me

Reactions: TheChair
Chicago after Terry Kath died would seem to be a better fit of the category.
Absolutely and they are one of the top's of this category. Very similar to Styx, they moved from being a rocking (or in Chicago a Rock/Jazz ensemble) to both becoming outlets for sappy pop songs for Dennis Deyoung and Peter Cetera. Incidently neither has any relationship with their former bandmates.

Believe it or not, I have given this issue a lot of thought over the years. I think it boils down to the fact that the 80s were probably the worst decade in history of modern pop music — by a mile!

In fact, I don’t even think that’s debatable. If you took a list of the top 25 worst chart topping songs of all-time, that list would be dominated by music from the 1980s.

This is just my rationale. It does not include any selections. Please don’t read any further if you’re not interested in the rationale. There is nothing sadder than seeing a grown man cry, especially about reading.

“They” always say do you always love the music of your teenage years the most. They also say that you will marry your mother. Finally, they always say that you get more conservative as you get older. None of those things are remotely true for me.

I think the music of my youth was largely garbage, I married a girl who could not be more different than my mom if she tried and I’ve never been less conservative in my life than I am right now.

Maybe a better way to put that last one is I’ve never been less trusting of conservatives than I am right now.

As for the music, I have this theory that teenagers and kids in early 20s — college kids — determine what is cool and what is not cool for the entire culture.

Then, all of the fashion houses along with the movie executives, record companies, etc., try to fish that hole.

Wherever there are young people with disposable income, there will be lots and lots of advertisers looking to court them and separate them from their parents’ money.

The problem is the record companies by their very nature can’t stop, so to fill the void they will typically put derivatives after derivatives after derivatives in there and before long, instead of NIN you end up Filter.

Also, teens are fickle and their tastes change. Additionally, it’s a short period in someone’s lives and new teens are there to replace them all the time, so the attitudes and preferences change quickly, which causes the fishing hole to move — often dramatically.

So, you have this natural tension between what the record companies want – which is stability and predictability in the market please – and what young people want – which is fresh new music that reflects their ever-evolving feelings/experiences.

I always look at the 80s as the first time the record companies had full control of the industry and fully understood how to exploit that control. Also, MTV’s impact cannot be overstated.

Unfortunately, that corporatization of the music led to a lot of very cynical measures, which in turn led to a ton of unfortunate outcomes.

One of the cynical measures would be to take really great artists and water them down for mass consumption. That’s what you saw with Starship and Heart. It’s also what we saw with legendary acts like Lionel Richie and Stevie Wonder.

How could an artist do something as amazing as Superstition and really, just a few years later, do something as pathetic as I Just Called to Say I Love You?

It would make more sense had it happened the other way. You’d have an artist that scuffed around for a bit and then found his voice. However, that’s not what happened there. Everyone’s music got demonstrably worse. It just all got so syrupy and inauthentic and plastic-y, and well, chintzy.

If I could pick one instrument to represent the music of the 1980s, I would choose the keyboard, and that’s not good.

In the UK, things were a little bit different. They are different culturally anyway and MTV hadn’t taken over there yet. They went a different route and, in my view, had far better outcomes. However, that’s a discussion for a different day.
I dunno....music right now is pretty awful.

Well, they did have one the most iconic singles of the 80s in Blue Monday.

I'd argue that New Order was greater than Joy Division. They continually improved until Technique, one of my favorite albums ever. Steep drop off to Republic and downhill from there. They probably shouldn't have continued after Hook left.
I actually agree. I was just being kind in my first response.

Sure, they are still around and no longer really relevant. But they don’t put out pop crap.

It is a great song. That Was Yesterday was another great song off that album. I was never a huge Foreigner fan but you can argue that Lou Gramm had one of the best voices in rock. Shame he lost it with his health issues. That was their downfall more than anything else
I don’t think Foriegner is good for the category because they were a mediocre pop rock band from the very beginning.

Really? Honestly? I think pretty much any group that has stayed together for 25 years, the latter years are going to be much different than their early years. Because in most cases, you are talking 20 year olds vs 50-60 year olds. Alot of life lived and alot of sharp edges are now rounded.

In fact, I think these groups, like a U2, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, even Stones, even when they put out "new stuff", 75-80% of the people who would attend their concerts, are attending mostly hoping to hear their signature songs off of their first few albums, because that is what established these groups and people remember them by.

In effect, they become their own cover bands, because most people don't want to hear their original (new) music, they want to hear their classics. Is a crowd at a Pearl Jam concert going to react more to "Dance of the Clairvoyants?" (their newest single) or "Alive" or "Jeremy"? It kind of sucks for these groups, damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they don't change or evolve they become bored, boring and caricatures, when they do, they "sell out" and people don't care about their new stuff." That is why for many groups, 4-5 albums, 10 years is pretty much enough.

Reactions: JoseLind13
In rainbows was great -
How do you not decline after OK Computer?

A Moon Shaped Pool is still an extraordinary album.

They are nowhere near this category.

Ok. Those of you know me, know my all time favorite group is U2. It is who as a kid I first discovered (before all my friends) and championed them and seen them live more than any other.

I mean, 11'Oclock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, An Cat Dubh, New Years Day, were so awesome.......then they hit it big with Pride and Bad, then Joshua Tree made them the biggest band in the world. My personal fav album is Achtung Baby. I think from start to finish it was their best, and.....the songs that may have been a bit muted in the studio were fantastic live. Which brings me to.......one of my most hated songs of all time in rock in roll. "Get On Your Boots". What the heck was that? Not a fan of Vertigo either.

I just don't think U2 has many good songs anymore, and their best of the new songs never are pushed as hits, and the songs that are pushed as hits are just borking.

Orchestral Manoeuvers In the Dark were a really good, some would say pioneering electronic band until they hit the mid 80s and had their one US hit with "If You Leave". They got stuck on that schlocky 80s pop vibe afterwards.

Really? Honestly? I think pretty much any group that has stayed together for 25 years, the latter years are going to be much different than their early years. Because in most cases, you are talking 20 year olds vs 50-60 year olds. Alot of life lived and alot of sharp edges are now rounded.

In fact, I think these groups, like a U2, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, even Stones, even when they put out "new stuff", 75-80% of the people who would attend their concerts, are attending mostly hoping to hear their signature songs off of their first few albums, because that is what established these groups and people remember them by.

In effect, they become their own cover bands, because most people don't want to hear their original (new) music, they want to hear their classics. Is a crowd at a Pearl Jam concert going to react more to "Dance of the Clairvoyants?" (their newest single) or "Alive" or "Jeremy"? It kind of sucks for these groups, damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they don't change or evolve they become bored, boring and caricatures, when they do, they "sell out" and people don't care about their new stuff." That is why for many groups, 4-5 albums, 10 years is pretty much enough.
But these bands who stick around a long time usually don’t turn their music into embarrassing sell out pop crap like We Built This City. Or if they do release stuff, it’s kind of low key.

Reactions: Ski11585
But these bands who stick around a long time usually don’t turn their music into embarrassing sell out pop crap like We Built This City. Or if they do release stuff, it’s kind of low key.
Hopefully not.

Or...the band that gives us Crystal Ball and Pieces of Eight then gives us Mr. Roboto.

Or....25 to 6 to 4 and I'm A Man to........all the Peter Cetera drivel.

Orchestral Manoeuvers In the Dark were a really good, some would say pioneering electronic band until they hit the mid 80s and had their one US hit with "If You Leave". They got stuck on that schlocky 80s pop vibe afterwards.
Their album after If You Leave — the Pacific Age — was as good as anything from their first few albums.

But I agree that If You Leave was terrible.

Then again.......the Goo Goo Dolls started out as a fairly hardcore punk band. And then struck it big with ballads. And Johnny Reznik was asked about this.....his answer made alot of sense. If we stayed a garage punk band, I am working in a warehouse during the day, playing in small clubs at night to 40 people.

Ok. Those of you know me, know my all time favorite group is U2. It is who as a kid I first discovered (before all my friends) and championed them and seen them live more than any other.

I mean, 11'Oclock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, An Cat Dubh, New Years Day, were so awesome.......then they hit it big with Pride and Bad, then Joshua Tree made them the biggest band in the world. My personal fav album is Achtung Baby. I think from start to finish it was their best, and.....the songs that may have been a bit muted in the studio were fantastic live. Which brings me to.......one of my most hated songs of all time in rock in roll. "Get On Your Boots". What the heck was that? Not a fan of Vertigo either.

I just don't think U2 has many good songs anymore, and their best of the new songs never are pushed as hits, and the songs that are pushed as hits are just borking.
But U2 is still U2. It’s hard to continue the greatness that they were previously. But they haven’t turned into an embarrassing something else.

Then again.......the Goo Goo Dolls started out as a fairly hardcore punk band. And then struck it big with ballads. And Johnny Reznik was asked about this.....his answer made alot of sense. If we stayed a garage punk band, I am working in a warehouse during the day, playing in small clubs at night to 40 people.
But the Goo Goo Dolls were often compared to the Replacements.

The Mats were able to make this transition and still make albums like Pleased to Meet Me and Don’t Tell A Soul.

I Wanna Know What Love Is is critically considered perhaps the best single of Foreigners career.

Sure, by people who like schmaltzy crap. That's why it was such a big hit. Schmaltz sells. Look at what that crappy ballad, "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" did for Aerosmith's career at a time when they weren't very popular. That song doesn't hold a proverbial candle to their early work, but it's the song that a lot of people know them by because it was a huge hit.

Sure, by people who like schmaltzy crap. That's why it was such a big hit. Schmaltz sells. Look at what that crappy ballad, "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" did for Aerosmith's career at a time when they weren't very popular. That song doesn't hold a proverbial candle to their early work, but it's the song that a lot of people know them by because it was a huge hit.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...foreigner-i-want-to-know-what-love-is-155208/

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-to-know-what-love-is-works-as-gospel-115922/

And it's not as if Foreigner was ever putting out anything other than mediocre pop rock to begin with.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
But the Goo Goo Dolls were often compared to the Replacements.

The Mats were able to make this transition and still make albums like Pleased to Meet Me and Don’t Tell A Soul.
Yes that's my point. And the Replacements never really went ballad oriented and wasn't "Dyslexic Heart" a solo effort by Westerburg?

Hopefully not.

Or...the band that gives us Crystal Ball and Pieces of Eight then gives us Mr. Roboto.

Or....25 to 6 to 4 and I'm A Man to........all the Peter Cetera drivel.

Elvis Costello is a great example. The impact of is music 1977-1983 cannot be overstated. But over the last two decades, he's quietly releasing records, some in different genres. He's not looking to sell lots of records -- just make music.

Yes that's my point. And the Replacements never really went ballad oriented and wasn't "Dyslexic Heart" a solo effort by Westerburg?

Dyslexic Heart was solo, and while it was a bit icky, I give him a pass cause he was writing for a movie.

But 14 Songs was a decent album and Love Untold was a ballad two years later which was touching, but the rest of the Eventually album was largely unsuccessful.

I am not an elitist when it comes to music or literature.

As a soph in HS, I asked why are most that are considered great writers so hard to read.

Writing and music are about communicating. There is nothing wrong with being popular. Complexity doesn't automatically make something better.

I got this off of Twitter this week. But I am trying to figure out the correct way of saying it, but (mostly rock) but bands who really became wimpy at their end or currently.

For example......Styx. I mean Crystal Ball, Blue Collar Man-------------> Mr. friggin Roboto??

That's one.

The obvious and this thread should be called the Jefferson Airplane Project. I mean Jefferson Airplane. Friggin White Rabbit. Volunteers! Wooden Ships. Then Jefferson Starship.....still good...Miracles....Ride the Tiger....Jane.........then Starship....>>>>>We Built this Shitty with Rock n Roll.

That is the maybe most overt example. But there are tons of others.

Allow me to add Cheap Trick to the list: "I Want You To Want Me" to "The Flame"

Agree with DVY's comments about the 80's music. Was watching the Elton John movie "Rocket Man" and thought about the 80's drivel, which was evident when he had the video "I'm Still Standing."

Most rock stars came out with crap in the early to mid 80's.

I got this off of Twitter this week. But I am trying to figure out the correct way of saying it, but (mostly rock) but bands who really became wimpy at their end or currently.

For example......Styx. I mean Crystal Ball, Blue Collar Man-------------> Mr. friggin Roboto??

That's one.

The obvious and this thread should be called the Jefferson Airplane Project. I mean Jefferson Airplane. Friggin White Rabbit. Volunteers! Wooden Ships. Then Jefferson Starship.....still good...Miracles....Ride the Tiger....Jane.........then Starship....>>>>>We Built this Shitty with Rock n Roll.

One could probably add Kansas to the list -- "Carry On Wayward Sun" to anything after Steve Walsh left.

Reactions: crharris8892

That's one.

The Cars could fit as an example: "Just What I Needed" to "Hello Again"

Reactions: crharris8892

That's one.

Some might not agree with this one but the B-52's -- "52 Girls" to "Love Shack."

That's one.

Consider Queen -- "Killer Queen" to "Radio Ga-Ga"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT