ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bills fire their OC

Buffalo seems like they are trying too hard.

giphy.gif

And Tomlin is giving Art II exactly what he wants.
It's a real paradox, The Rooneys made Pittsburgh Football great and also ruined it and handcuffed it. Myself I think Dan Rooney was the champion innovator mastermind and he was sandwiched by two idiots, The 2 Arts, who had no business running a football team. I think if Dan could live forever, he'd want to update his offense and philosophy as a whole to something modern- capable of winning in 2023, while the idiot, dunce, son, inheritor of privilege. the current Art has no original thoughts and just goes with, "if it was good enough for dad, it's good enough for me".

It's a real paradox, The Rooneys made Pittsburgh Football great and also ruined it and handcuffed it. Myself I think Dan Rooney was the champion innovator mastermind and he was sandwiched by two idiots, The 2 Arts, who had no business running a football team. I think if Dan could live forever, he'd want to update his offense and philosophy as a whole to something modern- capable of winning in 2023, while the idiot, dunce, son, inheritor of privilege. the current Art has no original thoughts and just goes with, "if it was good enough for dad, it's good enough for me".
Art II holding onto the past is why I don't want the bottom to fall out with 10+ loss seasons, you know he'll waste a top 5 pick on a running back.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
Sure looks more and more like this is true.
About three weeks ago, I blamed Canada for his vanilla offense that every team knows. But now, it appears like there is a directive not to throw the ball downfield. Like the game plan is built for a team who is playing their backup. That game plan comes from the top. It has to, right? So in this offense, Kenny might be the 3rd or 4th problem, behind the head coach and the OC. But Joe yinzer and Joe media guy are starting to put more of the blame on Kenny.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
About three weeks ago, I blamed Canada for his vanilla offense that every team knows. But now, it appears like there is a directive not to throw the ball downfield. Like the game plan is built for a team who is playing their backup. That game plan comes from the top. It has to, right? So in this offense, Kenny might be the 3rd or 4th problem, behind the head coach and the OC. But Joe yinzer and Joe media guy are starting to put more of the blame on Kenny.
Where do you get this? Is there some conformation? I believe it fully, just curious if you read something?

yep, the "Rooneys" get a lot of credit when it was 99.999% dan. Art Senior "got lucky" at a horsetrack, the smartest thing he did was give his son full control.

yep, the "Rooneys" get a lot of credit when it was 99.999% dan. Art Senior "got lucky" at a horsetrack, the smartest thing he did was give his son full control.
He hired Noll, came up with the strategy of drafting players from the HBCUs when nobody was doing that, hired black scouts, drafted Mean Joe #1 when he was really kind of unknown, the drafts in the 70s produced a dozen hall of famers, there's even talk that he made them draft Ben when Cowher wanted an OT or DB. He's the one who modernized the operation, I think if he was here now, he'd have different ideas about building a team and game strategy than his kid, he was often on the cutting edge and not living in the past like the 2 Arts.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Where do you get this? Is there some conformation? I believe it fully, just curious if you read something?
No no. Just if you watch the last two games, the elementary passing game has been dumbed down even more.

No no. Just if you watch the last two games, the elementary passing game has been dumbed down even more.
True, but I can't comprehend why they want this?
I realize, Rooney and Tomlin and Cowher before him are obsessed with this kind of football, it probably pissed them off that they had Ben all those years forcing them to pass because he was so good. But what is the atraction to this garbage? They didn't enjoy the Ben Era and the high powered offense he could give them?
I guess it's like Narduzzi being upset about too much passing after an ACC Championship and an 11-3 record season?

Art I was a tough hard knuckle fighter and gambler; the football team was just another hustle. He had emotional involvement in it but didn’t have much intellectual involvement with it. He hired cronies and their buddies to run it.

Dan literally grew up with the team, starting as a ball boy. He was emotionally AND intellectually invested in it. His early focus was making it successful by being innovative and dragging his fellow owners along that didn’t have vision. And he made it a big success.

Art II like so many business scions that come along after the hard work and success has been achieved, is not nearly as driven. To his credit, most of those types are frivolous playboys that blow the money and often run the business into the ground. He’s certainly the altruistic alternative. Everything for him is about the do-good social welfare aspect at the expense of the success of the business. Oh for sure, he’s still an entitled fat cat in town and you can tell he revels in the royalty status of his family in this town and within the NFL. But he’s far, far more interested in being known for the Rooney Rule than for overseeing any more Super Bowls. Great for society, not so much for Steelers fans

A lot of the plays are short, single read passes to the boundary. They don't push the ball unless they absolutely have to. Tomlin seems more than fine with it, so I've come to the same conclusion that he approves of it. I think he's so afraid of turnovers and just want to "keep it close" and wait for his defense to make a big play.

We know Ben used to often times ignore the OC and run his own plays. Kenny's not going to do that at this point in his career.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Matt Canada wasn't going to be a good NFL OC in the first place. Even so, the guy has some pride and doesn't want to suck either. It's obvious the approach is from Tomlin because Tomlin doesn't want to risk turnovers. He plays it safe now on offense. It started with Fichtner and has continued with Canada. You can win around 9 regular season games this way but no playoff team is going to fear playing this offense.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
A lot of the plays are short, single read passes to the boundary. They don't push the ball unless they absolutely have to. Tomlin seems more than fine with it, so I've come to the same conclusion that he approves of it. I think he's so afraid of turnovers and just want to "keep it close" and wait for his defense to make a big play.

We know Ben used to often times ignore the OC and run his own plays. Kenny's not going to do that at this point in his career.
So you’re sayin Tomlin is living in his fears? I agree. It appears that way. I wish someone in the media would ask him that.

Whatever they're doing, no matter how much you guys hate it, they're 6-3 and a half game out of first place in the toughest division in the NFL.

Will it last? Who knows, but looking at that schedule, you can easily see 11 or 12 wins there.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

Tell us how you really feel.

So you’re sayin Tomlin is living in his fears? I agree. It appears that way. I wish someone in the media would ask him that.
Madden is saying that every week, but most of you care WHO SAYS IT, so it doesn't count when he says it :)

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Tell us how you really feel.
I should have, I was too polite. But yeah, big props to Dan-he is the reason for all the success, Old Art was a drunken bum who hired his drunken bum friends to coach and lose for 40 years, and Young Art is a woke, PC poser who cares more about appearances than winning.

I don't think they trust Kenny, and I'm not convinced they see Kenny as a long term guy.
If they don't trust him to make the risky throws that AVERAGE NFL QBs make, I certainly hope he's not there long term, personally, I'm sick of this gutless pass game already.

Do you see a playoff win? Making a wild card game isn't a great accomplishment.
Depends on who they play and how they play?
If I had those kind of prognosticating skills I wouldn't waste them on predicting Steeler games.
It would be the Lotto and Stock Market for me!!

Whatever they're doing, no matter how much you guys hate it, they're 6-3 and a half game out of first place in the toughest division in the NFL.

Will it last? Who knows, but looking at that schedule, you can easily see 11 or 12 wins there.
OK, expanding on the 11/12 win prediction.
They have 6.
They will be favored against the Cards, Patriots and probably the Colts.
That's likely 3 more.
So you're up to 9.
Then it gets dicier, you need to beat Seattle, a .500 team but it is on the road, and split with Cincy.
That gets you to 11.
Plus or minus 1 for good measure. Very doable!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT