ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Buccos

This is a fun team to watch.

Plus, MLB has sped up the pace of play. Tonight’s game lasted only 2 hours and 9 minutes. So much better for the fans.
I know! I was in rush hour traffic for 30 mins and I’m pretty sure I heard at least three full innings on XM. I’m typically a staunch traditionalist, but the pitch clock has been an excellent rule change.

I've gotten so used to not giving af about baseball that I keep forgetting to watch these guys. What a unique box score. 4 runs on 4 total hits. Got up 4-0 in the first and held on for dear life!

Its the pitching that has been so amazing. This bunch is putting together a great string of quality starts, each going 6 solid innings.
That plus the scrappy hitting and showing some power has made this start possible.
Bednar looks great closing as well.
This team could sniff a wildcard this season for real unless they have further injuries.
Remember they have pieces at AAA that could come in mid season to give them a boost as well.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I mean I am now doing things I haven't done in years. Like yesterday driving home, tuning in the game and screaming YEAH! Raising a fist pump in my car when they hit the 3 run homer in the first inning.

Looking at boxscores. Of course, it is enjoyable because at this point, the Pirates actually have guys showing up in league leaders. But the game itself now has so much more pace and flow. Yes, I know chicks dig the long ball. But walks are boring. More balls being hit in play, more base running.....it is fun to watch.

Who would have thought baseball of all things, would have got it right. And no thanks to the MLBPA who voted against these.

I mean I am now doing things I haven't done in years. Like yesterday driving home, tuning in the game and screaming YEAH! Raising a fist pump in my car when they hit the 3 run homer in the first inning.

Looking at boxscores. Of course, it is enjoyable because at this point, the Pirates actually have guys showing up in league leaders. But the game itself now has so much more pace and flow. Yes, I know chicks dig the long ball. But walks are boring. More balls being hit in play, more base running.....it is fun to watch.

Who would have thought baseball of all things, would have got it right. And no thanks to the MLBPA who voted against these.
Nothing more boring than sitting there watching NOTHING happen!!!
Pitcher fidgeting with his belt, rosin bag, shaking off multiple signs, stepping off rubber, talking a walk around the mound............and...
on the other end, the batter constantly stepping out to readjust those velcro'd batting gloves that don't really move! Remember a time when batting gloves were not necessary???

Years ago, Rusty Staub of the Expos was one of the first guys to wear batting gloves. He looked like a sissy!!!

Keeping action in the game will save it from the egomaniac players.
Now if they can figure the balance of $$$ out, it will rival football once again as the National Past time!

Reactions: HOF Coach
Doesn't look like the pitch clock benefits Keller very much . I mean I think it's a good thing but maybe not all pitchers ...
Not very beneficial for the Reds pitcher Asscrack either ....

Well . They most certainly don’t have the premadonna’s in the line up they had in 91 that’s for damn sure . For what that’s worth ….
This team feels more like 12/13 instead of 91/92. They seem to get along well and are having fun. The sword gesture they do reminds of the Zoltan hand sign. It’s night and day from just a few seasons ago when guys were swinging at each in the dugout.

This team feels more like 12/13 instead of 91/92. They seem to get along well and are having fun. The sword gesture they do reminds of the Zoltan hand sign. It’s night and day from just a few seasons ago when guys were swinging at each in the dugout.
Winning will do that!
There is young talent here, this is not a fluke.
As long as the few veteran players stay healthy this could continue.
They still have cards to play in Indianapolis.

Winning will do that!
Pitching is usually the biggest key to sustained success. The Buccos starting pitching has definitely delivered to this point, what are they up to now, 11 or 12 quality starts in a row. Not putting too much of a burden on the bullpen.

Who knows, if the starting pitching can continue its ways supported by good defense and timely hitting, maybe this winning can carry on.

Winning will do that!
What is amazing, if you would tell me that the Pirates would have started out 14-7,I would have said O'Neill Cruz likely got off to an MVP like start to his season.

They are getting good pitching, good defense and timely hitting.

What is amazing, if you would tell me that the Pirates would have started out 14-7,I would have said O'Neill Cruz likely got off to an MVP like start to his season.

They are getting good pitching, good defense and timely hitting.
Instead, it's Cutch, who most thought would be a contributor but not a star. He's rocking it again

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but the schedule thus far as been, um, favorable. I know it's easy to predict implosion as a Pirates fan, so I don't mean to be that guy. Just saying this is our 7th series: Six have been against teams either in last place or next to last place, and the other was against a team that is .500.

But I get it - we're supposed to *be* one of those teams, so it's nice to assert ourselves among them. And I also get that standings don't mean a ton just yet. Just being cautious.

Its the pitching that has been so amazing. This bunch is putting together a great string of quality starts, each going 6 solid innings.
That plus the scrappy hitting and showing some power has made this start possible.
Bednar looks great closing as well.
This team could sniff a wildcard this season for real unless they have further injuries.
Remember they have pieces at AAA that could come in mid season to give them a boost as well.
I admit that I have some catching up to do regarding some of these players, and that includes Bednar. But last night was as impressive as a close as I’ve ever seen. I do hate the Renegade intro though. But yinzers eat the shit up.

I do wonder about that hoopie who is the set up man. I need to see more. Nice guy though for sure.

I admit that I have some catching up to do regarding some of these players, and that includes Bednar. But last night was as impressive as a close as I’ve ever seen. I do hate the Renegade intro though. But yinzers eat the shit up.

I do wonder about that hoopie who is the set up man. I need to see more. Nice guy though for sure.
I think it's cause he's from Mars, why they play Renegade. He's a Yinzer at heart. Bednar is rock solid.

Oviedo has a chance to be the real star of this rotation. He throws gas.

I have a problem differentiating between which of these young guys are part of the future versus who is just up here right now as a cheap placeholder. I mean, some of it obviously depends on performance, but still. It sort of makes for a difficult watch keeping track of all these guys.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but the schedule thus far as been, um, favorable. I know it's easy to predict implosion as a Pirates fan, so I don't mean to be that guy. Just saying this is our 7th series: Six have been against teams either in last place or next to last place, and the other was against a team that is .500.

But I get it - we're supposed to *be* one of those teams, so it's nice to assert ourselves among them. And I also get that standings don't mean a ton just yet. Just being cautious.

The first step in becoming a good team isn't regularly beating the good teams. It's beating the bad teams on a regular basis.

I'd also point out that it might turn out that all the teams the Pirates have played aren't any good, but, for example, they have played the Astros, who started the season as World Series favorites. And the White Sox, who were favorites to win their division. And the Cardinals, who were favored to win their division. Maybe the reason that some of the teams the Pirates have played are off to slow starts is because they just couldn't handle the juggernaut that is the 2023 Pittsburgh Pirates!

:p

The first step in becoming a good team isn't regularly beating the good teams. It's beating the bad teams on a regular basis.

I'd also point out that it might turn out that all the teams the Pirates have played aren't any good, but, for example, they have played the Astros, who started the season as World Series favorites. And the White Sox, who were favorites to win their division. And the Cardinals, who were favored to win their division. Maybe the reason that some of the teams the Pirates have played are off to slow starts is because they just couldn't handle the juggernaut that is the 2023 Pittsburgh Pirates!

:p
The first step in becoming a good team isn't regularly beating the good teams. It's beating the bad teams on a regular basis.”

Bob Prince used to say that all the time. He said you gotta pound lumps on the bad teams and split with the good ones and you’ll be in contention for a division title…

Sure. But see Penguins, Pittsburgh. You got to beat the "easy" teams too.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
In other news, how about Shelton getting an extension for the hot start? Honestly, not sure I’m a fan of it. I like that they’re committed to their plan doubling down on their guy, but I’m not sure I actually like Shelton as the manager. He looks better when he doesn’t have to put Tsutsugo or VanMeter in the lineup, but what’s the rush? Why not wait to see how the season plays out?

Johnson had a 2 run single in his season debut last night. really looking forward to seeing how he progresses. I think he could be special at the plate.

If Hugley was a .230 hitter who hit awe inspiring home runs usually on either ends of 7 run gaps in game score, sure..

I just mean insofar as coming into the season as the main attraction before people realize that the team might be better off with him and his attitude.

I just mean insofar as coming into the season as the main attraction before people realize that the team might be better off with him and his attitude.
Where have you heard Cruz has attitude issues? As for his game, he was fine before his injury. He was drawing more walks and generally showing more patience at the plate. His average was fairly low but he hadnt even played 20 games.

In other news, how about Shelton getting an extension for the hot start? Honestly, not sure I’m a fan of it. I like that they’re committed to their plan doubling down on their guy, but I’m not sure I actually like Shelton as the manager. He looks better when he doesn’t have to put Tsutsugo or VanMeter in the lineup, but what’s the rush? Why not wait to see how the season plays out?

The timing may make it look that way, but there was talk even at the beginning of spring training that they were going to give him an extension and it was just a matter of when it got done and not if it was going to get done.

And for the record, I don't think he's all that good a manager either. But his bosses do seem to think so, so that's that.

Good teams beat the teams they should .
So far the Bucs fit that mold ....
I know .. It's early .. But still ..

Raise It !!

In typical Pirates fashion, they are on a historically hot start and somehow aren't even in first place.

Not that it matters yet, obviously. But what shit luck.

Reactions: mike 301
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT