ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Buccos

Can any Pirate fan help me out with some insights into Rodolfo Castro? I'm a Phillies fan and hated to see Falter go? He got a bum deal this year and lost his confidence. I think a change of scenery will be great for him. He was super clutch for the Phillies last year during their late season run.

I've read that Castro hits for some pop from one side of the plate, but Ks a lot and is an average defender. He started for the Phillies in game 2 of a double header and couldn't have looked worse. He boggled two absolutely routine plays in the field and swung wildly at the plate. I'm hoping the field part was just nerves. Based on what I saw, he shouldn't play at all unless in an emergency or as a PH.
Castro will probably be an all-star for somebody some day once he learns how to play baseball.

Buccos match last season’s win total last night with 27 games still to play. This is an improved ball club. 62-73.

2022: 62-100
2022: 61-101
2021: 19-41
Mitchy with another strong outing. Looking like he has navigated through that rough patch.

I bullishly picked 81-81 for them this year, not coming to fruition but they are improved. I'm just not a fan of Shelton, Haines and Marin.

Skenes was terrific last night in Erie to. 2IP, 3k's, 1 hit allowed. 18 of 25 for strikes.

Nothing for nothing they're down 6-4 but what ever happened to runner's advantage call ? Now we have to spend 10 minutes looking at the same angle to show the throw and the runner were simultaneous ?

Sheesh ... I need a beer ...

Nothing for nothing they're down 6-4 but what ever happened to runner's advantage call ? Now we have to spend 10 minutes looking at the same angle to show the throw and the runner were simultaneous ?

Sheesh ... I need a beer ...
And just like that, the Pirates get the same call.
Need 2 now to really sting the Cards!

Reactions: mike 301
Ten games to go and the Bucco's still aren't mathematically eliminated from the playoffs (they will be in next day of two). However 7 other teams already have been eliminated. This team is definitely trending upward and doing so with younger talent. Likely about a 12-15 game improvement from last year as they avoided the second half losing cliff when they sell off the old veterans like previous years.

2023: 71-81
2021: 61-101
2020: 19-41

Last edited:
Ten games to go and the Bucco's still aren't mathematically eliminated from the playoffs (they will be in next day of two). However 7 other teams already have been eliminated. This team is definitely trending upward and doing so with younger talent. Likely about a 12-15 game improvement from last year as they avoided the second have losing cliff when they sell off the old veterans like previous years.

2023: 71-81
2021: 61-101
2020: 19-41
I'm a Pirates homer so this is what I do, but there's honestly a lot to be encouraged about by this Pirates team. And when you consider that they had a 12-15 game improvement with Cruz out the whole year, I can definitely talk myself into Buccos Fever 2024!

I'm a Pirates homer so this is what I do, but there's honestly a lot to be encouraged about by this Pirates team. And when you consider that they had a 12-15 game improvement with Cruz out the whole year, I can definitely talk myself into Buccos Fever 2024!
or 20 games under .500 since May 1...Cruz will be one of the greatest down or up by 7 runs clutch hitters of all time. Kid hits some awesome meaningless home runs...

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
Crap, I almost forgot that it's unjustified optimism season for the Pirates.

Yeah, it's been a "good" season by their standards, but I'm a little concerned with when they stacked their wins. Teams haven't hit their stride early in the season and not every team is putting forth their best effort after the All Star Break.

That sounds like I'm trying to find negativity, and I am. It's the Pirates, and they deserve every ounce of it. Hayes and Reynolds coming alive is the main thing I care about. Hopefully they can do that when the games still matter next season. But these rotating, overachieving Quad A players who will be here today and gone tomorrow don't do much for me.

Yeah, it's been a "good" season by their standards, but I'm a little concerned with when they stacked their wins. Teams haven't hit their stride early in the season and not every team is putting forth their best effort after the All Star Break.

That sounds like I'm trying to find negativity, and I am. It's the Pirates, and they deserve every ounce of it. Hayes and Reynolds coming alive is the main thing I care about. Hopefully they can do that when the games still matter next season. But these rotating, overachieving Quad A players who will be here today and gone tomorrow don't do much for me.
So basically, you're saying we should only care about wins from what... May to July?

So basically, you're saying we should only care about wins from what... May to July?

I'm saying that, in a 162-game season, weird things tend to happen at the beginning and the end. Many teams flat out concede that their season no longer bears meaning as of the trade deadline on August 1st, and then they still play two months of baseball after that. You have guys getting shut down, expanded rosters and call-ups, etc. It's really silly to put too much weight into August and September, as it could just mean our JV squad is better than your JV squad or our young guys vying for future employment care more than your veterans who know they won't be making the playoffs. We're 12-17 in August and September against teams that are .500 or better. That's not horrible, but it's also not great. Those are the teams I'm pretty confident are still expending max effort.

I'm saying that, in a 162-game season, weird things tend to happen at the beginning and the end. Many teams flat out concede that their season no longer bears meaning as of the trade deadline on August 1st, and then they still play two months of baseball after that. You have guys getting shut down, expanded rosters and call-ups, etc. It's really silly to put too much weight into August and September, as it could just mean our JV squad is better than your JV squad or our young guys vying for future employment care more than your veterans who know they won't be making the playoffs. We're 12-17 in August and September against teams that are .500 or better. That's not horrible, but it's also not great. Those are the teams I'm pretty confident are still expending max effort.
Following Ski’s lead, so you’re basically saying the Pirates were way better than their 60-some win/100-some loss records the last 2 seasons since a large # of those losses came in August and September?

Following Ski’s lead, so you’re basically saying the Pirates were way better than their 60-some win/100-some loss records the last 2 seasons since a large # of those losses came in August and September?

I said August/September records in baseball are deceptive, because teams have traded away some of their starters, are getting a look at call-ups, may or may not be playing for anything, etc. Is that really a controversial take?

I said August/September records in baseball are deceptive, because teams have traded away some of their starters, are getting a look at call-ups, may or may not be playing for anything, etc. Is that really a controversial take?
I am sure your glass is always half empty.

Here is a fact: One team cost the Pirates the playoffs this year.
Pirates are 2-10 against the cubs this year and 69-71 against everyone else
The Cubs are 10-2 against the pirates and 69-71 against everyone else

Cubs currently have a wildcard spot.

I am sure your glass is always half empty.

Here is a fact: One team cost the Pirates the playoffs this year.
Pirates are 2-10 against the cubs this year and 69-71 against everyone else
The Cubs are 10-2 against the pirates and 69-71 against everyone else

Cubs currently have a wildcard spot.

When it comes to the Pittsburgh Pirates? No, not half empty.... empty AF. And shattered.

I was joking more than anything but also pointing out that it works both ways.

To a certain extent, I agree with you though. I’m in a fantasy BB league and in the semifinals right now with the final next week. League needed to be shortened a week or two because now you have to deal with guys on non-playoff teams being shut down for the season, particularly pitchers, or guys on teams like the Braves coasting to the playoffs with nothing to play for and giving guys rests.

Pirates did me a big favor yesterday though. My opponent had the Cubs ace Justin Steele and the ole Bucs tagged him for 6 earned runs in 3 innings.

Still not eliminated with 8 games to go. Beating cubs and reds who are both fighting for a playoff spot. Not sure why anyone would consider them not to count as much lol

Buccos were down 9-0 and came back to win 13-12 against the playoff seeking reds. Still not eliminated with 7 to go. Maybe Pitt can come back from 18

Reactions: Mufasa94
Going to bump this as single-game tickets go on sale Friday. I’m going to try for Opening Day. Hopefully we get some moves soon…

MLB network reported the pirates changed their offseason plans after some of the players they though were in their range going for around 10mill,they mentioned they would look for the trade route and the rule 5 draft

MLB network reported the pirates changed their offseason plans after some of the players they though were in their range going for around 10mill,they mentioned they would look for the trade route and the rule 5 draft
Great

So is this the lineup?:

3B - Hayes
SS - Cruz
2B - Gonzalez
1B - Free Agent
Catcher - Rodriguez
OF - Suwinski, Reynolds, Davis
Utility/DH/Bench/Platoons with the above - Palacios, Triolo, Piguero, Delay, Joe or McCutchen

Starting Rotation: The best 5 out of Keller, Oviedo, Contreras, Skenes, Brubaker, Ortiz, a free agent, and maybe another youngin who performs well in camp (Jackson, Priester, etc.)

So is this the lineup?:

3B - Hayes
SS - Cruz
2B - Gonzalez
1B - Free Agent
Catcher - Rodriguez
OF - Suwinski, Reynolds, Davis
Utility/DH/Bench/Platoons with the above - Palacios, Triolo, Piguero, Delay, Joe or McCutchen

Starting Rotation: The best 5 out of Keller, Oviedo, Contreras, Skenes, Brubaker, Ortiz, a free agent, and maybe another youngin who performs well in camp (Jackson, Priester, etc.)
Oviedo is having Tommy John surgery

Oviedo is out for the year and Brubaker is recovering from TJ surgery and isn’t expected to start working out until July,they also benched Contreras at the end of the year,I doubt he gets another chance

Picking up where we left off last year .
Bucs leading in an impressive 2nd game in Fla. 6-1 . 8th .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT