ADVERTISEMENT

OT: campus rankings

Because my everyday life needs to include things that my vacation life doesn’t.

The fact that Venice doesn’t have anything I would call a grocery store, is okay. Vacation me isn’t really doing a ton of cooking.

Real life me likes having a bunch of different kinds of grocery stores within 5 miles of my house.
I’ve been to Venice three times and, although I never really thought about it before, I don’t remember seeing anything remotely resembling a grocery store in the tourist areas. There really aren’t any barber shops, hair salons, etc. either in the touristy parts of the city.

Cannaregio is the only area of the city which isn’t touristy. We went there on our last trip during a photographic tour. It is a working class area and has some small mini-markets, and, according to our photographer/guide, he gets his hair cut there in his barber’s apartment. Space is at such a premium there that they can’t afford to have a separate location.

That’s a big reason why it’s not really a city made for living in. A bigger reason for me personally is that GPS pretty much is worthless there. And, after 3 days there I’m pretty much sick of canals for about 10 years.

I’ve been to Venice three times and, although I never really thought about it before, I don’t remember seeing anything remotely resembling a grocery store in the tourist areas. There really aren’t any barber shops, hair salons, etc. either in the touristy parts of the city.

Cannaregio is the only area of the city which isn’t touristy. We went there on our last trip during a photographic tour. It is a working class area and has some small mini-markets, and, according to our photographer/guide, he gets his hair cut there in his barber’s apartment. Space is at such a premium there that they can’t afford to have a separate location.

That’s a big reason why it’s not really a city made for living in. A bigger reason for me personally is that GPS pretty much is worthless there. And, after 3 days there I’m pretty much sick of canals for about 10 years.

All the Italian cities are the same.

Coop is the “supermarket” chain in Rome. It’s like 4, maybe 5 aisles. And the aisles aren’t very long. And one of them is booze. And another is sweet treats since, since they have such a sweet tooth over there.

I forget what the grocery supermarket chain in Florence is called. But it’s essentially the same thing.

And it’s not like it’s common to even see these places.

As an American, I just have no interest in living in a city where the my local 7-11 is the same size and has about as big of a selection as a European city’s grocery store.

That’s a sh*tty standard of living to me. I don’t care if I’m about to walk to that sh*tty grocery store. Or walk to a restaurant.

All the Italian cities are the same.

Coop is the “supermarket” chain in Rome. It’s like 4, maybe 5 aisles. And the aisles aren’t very long. And one of them is booze. And another is sweet treats since, since they have such a sweet tooth over there.

I forget what the grocery supermarket chain in Florence is called. But it’s essentially the same thing.

And it’s not like it’s common to even see these places.

As an American, I just have no interest in living in a city where the my local 7-11 is the same size and has about as big of a selection as a European city’s grocery store.

That’s a sh*tty standard of living to me. I don’t care if I’m about to walk to that sh*tty grocery store. Or walk to a restaurant.

Because they are more likely to walk daily to the local market then to drive to the mega grocery store chain.

I’m shocked that Mizzou’s campus was ranked that highly. I visited it for a basketball game against Kentucky in December and, although the columns and lawn were nice, I didn’t find it particularly special. Pitt’s campus was much nicer with much more diverse architecture and scenery (OK, I’m bias).

Also, how is Colorado’s campus only 25th?
I agree, Missouri and Syracuse seem vastly overrated on this list and Kansas vastly underrated. I thought the entire central part of Missouri between St Louis and Kansas City was quite boring, while eastern Kansas was more interesting than I would have guessed.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I agree, Missouri and Syracuse seem vastly overrated on this list and Kansas vastly underrated. I thought the entire central part of Missouri between St Louis and Kansas City was quite boring, while eastern Kansas was more interesting than I would have guessed.
Agreed, I much prefer Lawrence to Columbia. As for Missouri, I think you actually have to go south to find interesting places outside the cities (Ozarks, caves).

went to the Palko "Im so f'in proud of these guys" game and really liked the ND campus. the pre-game atmosphere was very weak to be honest, i was expecting a lot more as far as a pre-game party atmosphere and it was a huge let down but the campus itself was really nice..

you want a tailgate party college football atmosphere, dont go to an ND game.. stick with ohio state or any sec venue..
ND's parking has a lot of trailers owned by older folks (I hate those things) and not as many folks indulging in beverages. There is a certain mood of supremacy that rankles. Their stadium is a nothingburger, squeezed into narrow bleachers......unless they fixed that.
The campus is nice, traffic OK.

Two reasons people headed to the "burbs," crime and schools. Cities still haven't quite figured that out.

I've only seen like 7 or 8 of these, so I mostly have no opinion. But Tennessee seemed a little underwhelming. We stayed in Gatlinburg, which I thought was fantastic, so I didn't really get a great look at the campus (only what I saw walking to the stadium). It just didn't fit into the imagine I had in my mind, I guess. Nor did the stadium. It, with its checkered end zones, always seemed so magnificent on TV... I felt like I was at some rundown drive-in movie theater once inside it.

Because they are more likely to walk daily to the local market then to drive to the mega grocery store chain.

Right, and I guess that’s fine for them.

My point is I want nothing to do with their gas station sized grocery store, and needing to go a million different stores to get the assortment of things you can at Walmart/Target. It me, for purposes of my daily life, European cities would be a huge inconvenience. But I’m spoiled by the American living standard I guess.

Give me my car and a drive if that’s the trade off.

My point is I want nothing to do with their gas station sized grocery store, and needing to go a million different stores to get the assortment of things you can at Walmart/Target. It me, for purposes of my daily life, European cities would be a huge inconvenience. But I’m spoiled by the American living standard I guess.

Give me my car and a drive if that’s the trade off.

I would bet it takes most people in the US longer to get to their grocery store than it does most Europeans to get to their local market. Doesn't seem too inconvientnt to me.

ND's parking has a lot of trailers owned by older folks (I hate those things) and not as many folks indulging in beverages. There is a certain mood of supremacy that rankles. Their stadium is a nothingburger, squeezed into narrow bleachers......unless they fixed that.
The campus is nice, traffic OK.
I like ND's campus, but take away the Golden Dome, Touchdown Jesus and The Grotto and it's really nothing exceptional. But I guess that's like saying take away the Pacific Ocean and Pebble Beach is just a really nice golf course.

That mood of supremacy increases exponentially the closer to the stadium the tailgating gets. The fur coat wearing mother of one of my nieces roommates refused to offer us a beer in the 45 minutes we were talking to her family. Probably just wanted to be rid of us.

Reactions: Hail2PittPanthers
I would bet it takes most people in the US longer to get to their grocery store than it does most Europeans to get to their local market. Doesn't seem too inconvientnt to me.

I’m sure it does. America is big.

And the local markets suck. That’s my point. It’s only with a vacationer’s demands, that you would ever want that to be your local market option.

But in your every day life? Nope.

I’m sure it does. America is big.

And the local markets suck. That’s my point. It’s only with a vacationer’s demands, that you would ever want that to be your local market option.

But in your every day life? Nope.

So your stance is that the local markets in Europe suck?

So your stance is that the local markets in Europe suck?

Bruh.

You keep asking me the same questions over and over again.

Your original question was:

Why don’t people choose to live around the kind of structure they choose to vacation?

I’ve told you already. Because vacation areas tend to suck as it relates to are everyday needs and convenience. But we’re okay with that while we’re on vacation. We’re not okay with that the other weeks in the year. As an American, it would suck if I had to live like that while not on vacation.

We don’t need to keep having the same conversation over and over again.

Bruh.

You keep asking me the same questions over and over again.

Your original question was:

Why don’t people choose to live around the kind of structure they choose to vacation?

I’ve told you already. Because vacation areas tend to suck as it relates to are everyday needs and convenience. But we’re okay with that while we’re on vacation. We’re not okay with that the other weeks in the year. As an American, it would suck if I had to live like that while not on vacation.

We don’t need to keep having the same conversation over and over again.

My original point was that many college campuses and many vacation destinations are considered desirable for similar reasons. That they tend to he walkable and that people have what they need in close proximity.

My original point was that many college campuses and many vacation destinations are considered desirable for similar reasons. That they tend to he walkable and that people have what they need in close proximity.
I'm with cashisking on this ... my needs as a college student that didn't own a car were much different than the needs of my current life with a wife and kids. I had to be able to walk to get what I needed given my car situation, I only needed a tiny market/convenience store because I wasn't cooking much and even when I did cook, it was for me only and not for a family. Now, I need Walmart/Target and a large grocery store in my life and I want to drive to those places -- I don't want to live next to them. I want a house with a yard for my kids, and those are rarer and more expensive to come by the closer you get a small business district.

I don't know. The places I go to on vacation do not have walkable places to go to when you want to eat, shop, get groceries, whatever. You have to get in your car and drive at least 10 or 15 minutes, sometimes more that come to mind, before you get to a restaurant or store. One place my wife and I love to go to, and will be going to this year, is at least a 30 minute driving distance to "civilization". And that's the way we want it. I don't want to be near a city or town when I vacation or where I live, unless it's Rome or Venice. And I certainly don't want any parts of living around Pittsburgh or anywhere near it. But that's just me.

Where we live in Barcelona, we have two large supermarkets within east walking distance. We only use them for non-food supplies and occasionally for spices. They have everything, but I prefer to walk 100 meters to the local bakery (it’s been there since 1798) to get a baguette every morning and other freshly-baked bread when we are in the mood.

There is a huge neighborhood farmers’ market consisting of stalls (manned mainly by non-farmers), Santa Caterina, that is maybe 300 meters away from our apartment. We have a stall we like where we buy poultry and eggs, another one where we buy bacon, another one where we buy cheese and olive oil, and two where we buy fresh fish. Right next to that market is one of the two large supermarkets; in fact, there are interior doors between them, so you theoretically can do all of your shopping there.

We don’t. We prefer the bread at the bakery and the pastries at the patisserie a half block from the bakery. It’s a relative newcomer, having opened in 1804.

There is very good fruit and vegetables in the stalls at Santa Caterina and sometimes Masha buys exotic and hard to find things there, but I happened upon the best fruit and vegetable store I have found in my life two months ago about 800 meters ftom the apartment. It is near a hardware store I really like and since I was a kid, I always have spent time just browsing through hardware stores, so I buy all of the other fruits and vegetables there after visiting the hardware store. We buy beef from a Halal butcher who saves small — but good for chewing — bones for Masha’s dog, who he adores. It reminds me of growing up, before Pittsburgh had Giant Eagle, when the local Kosher butcher used to save bones for Duke, our Boxer.

It’s just a question of “horses for courses” but I don’t missing driving to Ralph’s and buying everything in one place like I did in California at all. We don’t have a candlestick maker, but the butcher and baker know both Masha and I by name.

Last edited:
Where we live in Barcelona, we have two large supermarkets within east walking distance. We only use them for non-food supplies and occasionally for spices. They have everything, but I prefer to walk 100 meters to the local bakery (it’s been there since 1798) to get a baguette every morning and other freshly-baked bread when we are in the mood.

There is a huge neighborhood farmers’ market consisting of stalls (manned mainly by non-farmers), Santa Caterina, that is maybe 300 meters away from our apartment. We have a stall we like where we buy poultry and eggs, another one where we buy bacon, another one where we buy cheese and olive oil, and two where we buy fresh fish. Right next to that market is one of the two large supermarkets; in fact, there are interior doors between them, so you theoretically can do all of your shopping there.

We don’t. We prefer the bread at the bakery and the pastries at the patisserie a half block from the bakery. It’s a relative newcomer, having opened in 1804.

There is very good fruit and vegetables in the stalls at Santa Caterina and sometimes Masha buys exotic and hard to find things there, but I happened upon the best fruit and vegetable store I have found in my life two months ago about 800 meters ftom the apartment. It is near a hardware store I really like and since I was a kid, I always have spent time just browsing through hardware stores, so I buy all of the other fruits and vegetables there after visiting the hardware store. We buy beef from a Halal butcher who saves small — but good for chewing — bones for Masha’s dog, who he adores. It reminds me of growing up, before Pittsburgh had Giant Eagle, when the local Kosher butcher used to save bones for Duke, our Boxer.

It’s just a question of “horses for courses” but I don’t missing driving to Ralph’s and buying everything in one place like I did in California at all. We don’t have a candlestick maker, but the butcher and baker know both Masha and I by name.

I don’t want to pass judgment on which one is a better life style per se. Nobody is ever going to convince the other side.

My only point has been to answer the original question posed:

Why don’t people choose to live in the setups that are similar to college towns or where they choose to vacation?

The answer is because a lot of people will see the housing situation (or lack thereof) as frequently sucking, and the convenience as not great.

If you like your life in Spanish Mayberry, I’m not trying to convince you to leave it.

I’m only trying to point out why others aren’t convinced to join it.

My Spanish Mayberry is home to 2 million people, with 5.7 million in the metropolitan area and 9 million tourists visiting a year.

Last edited:
I don’t want to pass judgment on which one is a better life style per se. Nobody is ever going to convince the other side.

My only point has been to answer the original question posed:

Why don’t people choose to live in the setups that are similar to college towns or where they choose to vacation?

The answer is because a lot of people will see the housing situation (or lack thereof) as frequently sucking, and the convenience as not great.

If you like your life in Spanish Mayberry, I’m not trying to convince you to leave it.

I’m only trying to point out why others aren’t convinced to join it.

Pretty ignorant comparing Barcelona to Mayberry.

Last edited:
My Spanish Mayberry is home to 2 million people, with 5.7 million in the metropolitan area and 9 million tourists visiting a year.
Any tips for visiting Portugal? going in the next couple of weeks.

This is a good example of what I am talking about. Outside of a small number of places in the US, it seems like the Europeans have done a better job setting up their cities and markets to maximize how it is people actually prefer to live their daily lives. I'm not saying everyone prefers the same thing, or that all of Europe is one big same magical utopia, but I think by and large it seems to me that most people really prefer one way of life over the other, and I've used the love of college campuses and vacation locations as indications to me what the prefrence really is. And I realize that it's not changing. We've developed this weird, sometimes political 'us vs them' view of cities and suburbs/exburbs dwellers. It's really interesting to me that when the city of Pittsburgh wants improve the livability for it's actually citizens by making an improvement like adding additional bike lanes, that the biggest complainers are those living in the burbs because it's perceived to slightly effect their commute time. That type of mentality does a lot of damage.

This is a good example of what I am talking about. Outside of a small number of places in the US, it seems like the Europeans have done a better job setting up their cities and markets to maximize how it is people actually prefer to live their daily lives. I'm not saying everyone prefers the same thing, or that all of Europe is one big same magical utopia, but I think by and large it seems to me that most people really prefer one way of life over the other, and I've used the love of college campuses and vacation locations as indications to me what the prefrence really is. And I realize that it's not changing. We've developed this weird, sometimes political 'us vs them' view of cities and suburbs/exburbs dwellers. It's really interesting to me that when the city of Pittsburgh wants improve the livability for it's actually citizens by making an improvement like adding additional bike lanes, that the biggest complainers are those living in the burbs because it's perceived to slightly effect their commute time. That type of mentality does a lot of damage.
When did you start drinking today?

You’ll care about this wayyyyy too much.

He gave you an account of his literal life daily experience. And it sounds like a nice way of living, which is my point. We seem to like that style, too. But we often only experience it on a vacation or in college

Anyone been to Pepperdine? Is it all that it's hyped up to be.

When I was in HS, I visited William and Mary. I thought the place was gorgeous.
Great golf course on or near campus.

I’ve been to Pepperdine. The views are gorgeous; the campus wouldn’t be anything without the scenery, and topography.

I got my master's at W&M. I loved the campus. I spent a summer at Wake Forest. That was a nice campus.

The history of Europe is obvious. City-dwellers walked everywhere, still do. They live in small homes or smaller apartments crammed into small, narrow streets. (NB: there are lots of bigger joints for the rich, but they have help to shop for their fresh foods while they browse boutiques.) Nothing wrong about it, but they haven't the space for gigantic malls in the burbs of our decayed cities. We prefer walking when we're away, too. Urban campuses need amenities close by.

The history of Europe is obvious. City-dwellers walked everywhere, still do. They live in small homes or smaller apartments crammed into small, narrow streets. (NB: there are lots of bigger joints for the rich, but they have help to shop for their fresh foods while they browse boutiques.) Nothing wrong about it, but they haven't the space for gigantic malls in the burbs of our decayed cities. We prefer walking when we're away, too. Urban campuses need amenities close by.

I mean, we used to walk everywhere in our cities, too. Then the continual road building out led to one suburban development after the next. People left cities for what seeed like greener pastures (but all the actual pastures were covered with homes and strip malls). Now, I see more developments being built that mimic actual city neighborhoods. People like being able to walk to those amenties, even in the US. We just havn't figured it all out yet, though.

I mean, we used to walk everywhere in our cities, too. Then the continual road building out led to one suburban development after the next. People left cities for what seeed like greener pastures (but all the actual pastures were covered with homes and strip malls). Now, I see more developments being built that mimic actual city neighborhoods. People like being able to walk to those amenties, even in the US. We just havn't figured it all out yet, though.
Well, the current plan is to make cars obsolete. I grew up just outside Philly, really a city vibe. Walked everywhere. Family of 5 kids, no cars. Life was full. Great public trans helped a lot. Milk , bread and beer delivered every week.

Reactions: HailtoPitt
https://www.axios.com/2023/05/13/us-suburbs-boom-housing-retail

Even the most “hipster”and urban generation is fleeing cities.

Americans like houses. They like yards. They like pools. They like being able to have sex with their young wife in their hot tub and pool because their neighbors aren’t piled on top of them enough to see into their backyard. They like Costco.

The liking of these things is not some insidious brainwashing that has been forced onto Americans, that causes them to go against what they actually want.

And I’m not anti-city. I live in the city of Dallas.

But American cities afford you the ability to live in 3k+ square foot homes with a yard and pool.

European cities don’t. College towns don’t.

If you like an apartment and care that the butcher knows your dog’s name, that’s fine.

I get my beef marrow bones for my dogs from the Hong Kong Market on Walnut. It’s about a 4 minute drive. The butchers barely speak a word of English, let alone know my dog’s name.

But that’s fine. I’m not looking to be their friend and invite them to the next backyard cookout. And I can have a cookout. Because I own a home. Not a dorm room.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT