ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cub Scouts

upj87

Head Coach
Nov 5, 2003
Since nothing of value to discuss football-wise...

Why do the Cub Scouts have these awful fundraisers outside of store with the popcorn etc.? I can kick myself every time I buy something instead of just dropping ten bucks into the till. They had your average sized can of Virginia Nuts for like $18. Peanuts. Microwave popcorn outrageous. I ended up buying a 12oz bag (which goes for about $2 in the store I was coming out of) of shelled peanuts from the kid for 14 bucks I think....I sure miss the days of raffle tickets for this sort of thing. Growing up in a mill town the old man always had a Costanza sized wallet full of stubs. When my turn came up he took them in to work. Would rather buy a 50/50 ticket for 10 bucks than the absurdity of these food items where their profit is cut into by a third party..

Reactions: Dan1911
Since nothing of value to discuss football-wise...

Why do the Cub Scouts have these awful fundraisers outside of store with the popcorn etc.? I can kick myself every time I buy something instead of just dropping ten bucks into the till. They had your average sized can of Virginia Nuts for like $18. Peanuts. Microwave popcorn outrageous. I ended up buying a 12oz bag (which goes for about $2 in the store I was coming out of) of shelled peanuts from the kid for 14 bucks I think....I sure miss the days of raffle tickets for this sort of thing. Growing up in a mill town the old man always had a Costanza sized wallet full of stubs. When my turn came up he took them in to work. Would rather buy a 50/50 ticket for 10 bucks than the absurdity of these food items where their profit is cut into by a third party..
They need money for all the lawsuits.

Haha. Just happened to me too. I think I did a triple take when I saw the prices. I just gave them some cash. I preferred to donate straight out than pay $25 for caramel corn. Just felt better.

Reactions: Dan1911
I always hated when my kids were asked to sell something. And I hate when someone asks me to buy something. The only time I ever ask any of my friends or co-workers to buy something is when I know there is value in what I'm offering or if I know people actually want it. Discount cards are great if you already use the businesses that are on the card. They basically pay for themselves in a month or so. Super Bowl or other big game squares are also something I'm ok with my kid having to sell. Chinese auction (am I allowed to call them that? ) tickets are also good if the prizes/baskets are good.

Candles are just about the worst. Christmas decorations are pretty bad too. Cookie dough, not so good. Way overpriced and 90% of the time it is already thawed by the time it shows up at my house.

My son's youth football program back in the day did a simple can drive. I really think people preferred that vs buying something. I know when the kids come to my door asking for money vs trying to sell me an overpriced candy bar, I usually empty out my wallet. $20 is the min I give. And those proceed go 100% to the organization.

I will confess to being a big consumer of Girl Scout cookies. I know they are overpriced and not a really good value. But I love them. Tag-a-longs are like crack to me. I'm good for at least 15 - 20 boxes per year. I still have some from this past spring in my pantry. I actually have to split up my buy now because I don't want to show favoritism to any of my neighbors. It becomes a chore to figure out who all will be selling them and ensuring that I break my order up between them. :)

I always hated when my kids were asked to sell something. And I hate when someone asks me to buy something. The only time I ever ask any of my friends or co-workers to buy something is when I know there is value in what I'm offering or if I know people actually want it. Discount cards are great if you already use the businesses that are on the card. They basically pay for themselves in a month or so. Super Bowl or other big game squares are also something I'm ok with my kid having to sell. Chinese auction (am I allowed to call them that? ) tickets are also good if the prizes/baskets are good.

Candles are just about the worst. Christmas decorations are pretty bad too. Cookie dough, not so good. Way overpriced and 90% of the time it is already thawed by the time it shows up at my house.

My son's youth football program back in the day did a simple can drive. I really think people preferred that vs buying something. I know when the kids come to my door asking for money vs trying to sell me an overpriced candy bar, I usually empty out my wallet. $20 is the min I give. And those proceed go 100% to the organization.

I will confess to being a big consumer of Girl Scout cookies. I know they are overpriced and not a really good value. But I love them. Tag-a-longs are like crack to me. I'm good for at least 15 - 20 boxes per year. I still have some from this past spring in my pantry. I actually have to split up my buy now because I don't want to show favoritism to any of my neighbors. It becomes a chore to figure out who all will be selling them and ensuring that I break my order up between them. :)
good post OH Pete, all this crap i have no problems saying no, but girl scout tag alongs are gold. i'll pay the 5 bucks for a box that has 12 cookies in it and probably finish the box before i get home..

Reactions: OH Pete
cub scout sales of popcorn etc give a much higher percentage back to the troop to support all of their activities during the year. This keeps the individual charges per scout down which opens up scouting to a much larger group of children from varying economic backgrounds.

Girl scouts and their cookie sales are a different story. Where cub scouts get 70-80% of the sales dollars back to local troop, the girl scouts get about 5-7% back directly. The rest goes to the cookie company and the girl scout national leaders. much more of a racket.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
what about the little kids that sell you 2 dollar chocolate bars at the steeler/pitt tailgates and then they go back over to their older brother who's watching and he just pockets the money.

is that a racket or no?

Also, since I’m paying a membership fee, why do I get to be harassed by the phone parasites inside Costco and Sam’s?
I learned the magic words that cuts them off quickly. Just that your cell phone is thru Comcast/Xfinity. They can’t beat ‘em, and they know it.

cub scout sales of popcorn etc give a much higher percentage back to the troop to support all of their activities during the year. This keeps the individual charges per scout down which opens up scouting to a much larger group of children from varying economic backgrounds.

Girl scouts and their cookie sales are a different story. Where cub scouts get 70-80% of the sales dollars back to local troop, the girl scouts get about 5-7% back directly. The rest goes to the cookie company and the girl scout national leaders. much more of a racket.
Yeah. But the popcorn isn't nearly as special as the girl scout cookies. I know that Aldi's has a couple of GS cookie knock offs, but I've tried them and they're not the same. Sort of like methadone to a heroin addict. They'll do, but the real deal is way more satisfying.

Having said that, I usually buy some popcorn. After all, it is popcorn. Who doesn't like popcorn? Even if it is way overpriced. And it is a good cause. Not like it is a crappy candle or something.

But while we are talking about the scouts, can we all agree that no grown man should ever wear a scout uniform? I don't care that they're the Den Master or not. It just looks ridiculous. :)

Ghosts-Season-2-Episode-7-Mathew-Baynton.jpg

One of my biggest pet peeves are these people who "fundraise" for their kids' travel sports teams. If you cant afford to pay their "tuition" and need to sell Super Bowl squares or lottery tickets, maybe you shouldn't be spending money on their travel team.

Reactions: NTOP
One of my biggest pet peeves are these people who "fundraise" for their kids' travel sports teams. If you cant afford to pay their "tuition" and need to sell Super Bowl squares or lottery tickets, maybe you shouldn't be spending money on their travel team.
High level competitive sports programs are for the wealthy, not the peasants. Let those kids eat cake!

Thurston-Howell.jpg

I buy them. Kind of reluctantly from a value perspective but I like to support kids and if they're out there hustling for something that is important to them I'll give them the equivalent of a gin and tonic to reward that behavior. Plus, Scouting is a good way to get kids outside and off the devices.

I live almost on the crossroads of 3 big suburban towns in Atlanta so we have multiple troops. There's one in my neighborhood but the one at my VFW does paint recycling. I live in a 40 year old house and the old owners left all their paint (thanks?). The Scouts will recycle that old crap for me for like $5 per gallon which is way cheaper than I can pay a trash service. That's a good event to have if you're ever trying to raise money for a cause.

I saw the thread title and assumed I’d wandered over to BWI by mistake…

Making kids sell crap inevitably means making the parents sell crap. I would much rather cut to the chase and say “what’s your cut?” and then scratch the check. The time and mind-space spent on this nonsense is worth 100x more than the pittance the organization stands to gain.

• Haha
Reactions: upj87 and Pitt79
good post OH Pete, all this crap i have no problems saying no, but girl scout tag alongs are gold. i'll pay the 5 bucks for a box that has 12 cookies in it and probably finish the box before i get home..
Tag a Longs = Samoa wannabes....(thinking this could be an OT smack talk topic when they open up their next round of sales)

Last edited:
Yeah. But the popcorn isn't nearly as special as the girl scout cookies. I know that Aldi's has a couple of GS cookie knock offs, but I've tried them and they're not the same. Sort of like methadone to a heroin addict. They'll do, but the real deal is way more satisfying.

Having said that, I usually buy some popcorn. After all, it is popcorn. Who doesn't like popcorn? Even if it is way overpriced. And it is a good cause. Not like it is a crappy candle or something.

But while we are talking about the scouts, can we all agree that no grown man should ever wear a scout uniform? I don't care that they're the Den Master or not. It just looks ridiculous. :)

Ghosts-Season-2-Episode-7-Mathew-Baynton.jpg
No more ridiculous than a soccer referee or a bicycle cop.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT