ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Deadpool (read at your own risk)

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I only named the thread in that manner because undoubtedly spoilers will appear as this thread gets going.

So what do you guys think? I thought it was a fun 2 hours at the theater. I started laughing at the opening credits and laughed throughout even though plenty of jokes missed their mark. Deadpool’s crude and vulgar humor and gratuitous drops of F bombs was never my thing but that’s what you get with this IP and the movies have been smart notwithstanding. And if you like blood, there’s lots of it.

It’s not deep, and it appears to me that it’s pretty much a self contained 2 hours of fan service. I was never a fan of the X-Men stuff, never saw any of them, not even the wolverine stuff, but I think if I was a fan of them I would have geeked out several times…But even though I’m not, I was never really lost while watching. But there’s so many cameos and infinite amounts of fan service, I’m pretty sure everyone will leave the theater happy. And here’s the thing, I think some people are turned off by Marvel because they feel they have to watch all the movies and all the shows in order to keep watching to know what’s going on. And with this film, while seeing all the movies is helpful, I don’t think it’s imperative. And it remains to be seen but I don’t think this film will have a bearing on future movies either. So it’s not like 10 year olds have to see it, which I wonder if that’s what they were going for given this is an R rated film with a hard R.

So I’ll leave it there to get the discussion going.

Oh one more thing…the chemistry between Reynolds and Jackman is worth the price of admission alone.

I’d rate it a 7 out of 10.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Fun. I don't love the first two but they're also fun. This was a MCU by way of Mel Brooks to it's gain and detriment. I was glad they essentially made a Bugs Bunny Deadpool and go over for anything remotely serious ever.

Loved seeing a packed theater and engaged audience. Audience lapped it up. Legs should be good.

Another huge win for the Mouse House this summer. Unless there's an unexpected super breakout, only other two movies that are likely $1B+ huge box office earners in 2024 are Joker and Moana.

Inside Out 2 is now the highest grossing animated film ever.

Deadpool & Wolverine has a shot at a $200M+ opening weekend at the domestic box office.

It was absolutely hysterical and pitch perfect to say good bye to the Fox characters the right way .
Like you. I laughed the entire movie

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
It was absolutely hysterical and pitch perfect to say good bye to the Fox characters the right way .
Like you. I laughed the entire movie
I gotta ask…do we think that was Ryan Reynolds in the suit during the opening credits doing the *NSYNC Bye Bye Bye dance while he hurled bones and cut through TVA agents? 😂 Hysterical.

I gotta ask…do we think that was Ryan Reynolds in the suit during the opening credits doing the *NSYNC Bye Bye Bye dance while he hurled bones and cut through TVA agents? 😂 Hysterical.
Yeah
From him humming the marvel theme at the beginning . I really like how he acknowledged how down the MCU is and how the multiverse isn’t working.
207 bones if I’m watching Gossip Girl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Yeah
From him humming the marvel theme at the beginning . I really like how he acknowledged how down the MCU is and how the multiverse isn’t working.
207 bones if I’m watching Gossip Girl.
Man I kinda got excited when he essentially said that the multiverse sucked and it’s dead. But then I realized that it was just empty words meant for comic relief. It can’t be dead right? There’s still a ways to go with it. Or am I missing something?

I’ve never seen one of these comic book hero movies unless you count Michael Keaton’s Batman. Just can’t get into it.

Man I kinda got excited when he essentially said that the multiverse sucked and it’s dead. But then I realized that it was just empty words meant for comic relief. It can’t be dead right? There’s still a ways to go with it. Or am I missing something?
I think with all this slowing down to do things right -
It’s going to only be two universes
616 and 10005 which will have an incursion in be combined by Doctor Doom like Battle world -
After an avengers vs X-men movie

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I’ve never seen one of these comic book hero movies unless you count Michael Keaton’s Batman. Just can’t get into it.
It is entertaining to listen to grown men talk about them though...

No different than listening to grown men talking about high school recruiting. Or their fantasy teams. Or gambling. Or the sports they watch.

I mean, we like what we like. It’s all entertainment. Personally, I don’t understand men who read comic books…yet I watch the movies. I chuckle when men discuss the brilliance of Rush. I chuckle when grown men discuss some kind of hip hop feud between guys named Lamar and Drake. And I chuckle when I see grown men discussing 17 year old football recruits running around in shorts. I chuckle when adult men over the age of 30 vote a certain way. I mean, we have 200 page long threads about Pirate baseball and even threads with the same men discussing their video game exploits and their gamer tags.

At the end of the day, we’re all men, and we can be a bit immature. We will go to our graves immature.

yeah this is wild, you know they have to tie it into Stark somehow, don't they?
No. They do not and I don't expect them to. I think they'll make sure he looks different. I fully expect RDJ to be playing Doom and not some Stark variant possessed by Doom or something like that.

He played 4 different, unrelated characters in Sympathizer on HBO just recently.

1681372473_robert-downey-jr.jpg

There’s something to learn here….
What? They were already planning for Blade to R rated when it eventually releases? Or, is it something else? Hopefully they'll finally rate Batman movies R now.

We learned what we already know... Cameos are hip, people love Jackman as Wolverine and Reynolds as Deadpool.

What? They were already planning for Blade to R rated when it eventually releases? Or, is it something else? Hopefully they'll finally rate Batman movies R now.

We learned what we already know... Cameos are hip, people love Jackman as Wolverine and Reynolds as Deadpool.
Simply put, they didn’t mess with a good thing.

Simply put, they didn’t mess with a good thing.
They/Fiege usually don't, no? Especially with any hugely successful franchise in the MCU. I'm confused.

They already did something similar with even more success with No Way Home 3 or 4 years ago. Big change in Wakanda Forever was due to a beloved leading man passing. Didn't make any insane changes for Love & Thunder or Multiverse of Madness either.

No huge changes with Quantumania it just sucked. No huge changes with Marvels it just stunk and wasn't really wanted.

Last edited:
This was the most "guy" centric marvel movie or series in years. Shockingly we didn't need a female lead to come in and save the day.

• Haha
Reactions: Ski11585
This was the most "guy" centric marvel movie or series in years. Shockingly we didn't need a female lead to come in and save the day.
lol. How dare Marvel have a movie (The Marvels) featuring characters that made their first comic book appearances in 1968, 1982, and 2013. WOKE MARVEL!

Reactions: PittPharm2002
I don't know anything about Deadpool never read the books. A Deadpool wolverine channel popped up on my XM radio. I like every song the station plays. Think I will check out the movie based on the musical playlist.

I don't know anything about Deadpool never read the books. A Deadpool wolverine channel popped up on my XM radio. I like every song the station plays. Think I will check out the movie based on the musical playlist.
A little fk nugget…I never saw any superhero movies and never had an interest in the comic book movie genre until 2016ish when I went to see a guardians of the galaxy flick for a winter night out with my kids and I was blown away by the music and the comedy. It was so smart and well done. And that’s all it took for me to get sucked into the whole marvel universe. Pretty much all of them now follow the same roadmap. So be very careful, you might follow the same path as I did.

And here’s the thing, what guy doesn’t love music and comedy? So what if it’s set around sci fI and fantasy fiction.

(And yes I understand that Deadpool and Wolverine weren’t Marvel until now).

Enjoy the ride Jayhawk. There’s a reason why most of these films gross a billion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT