ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Fans

The best thing you can say about Mountain fans is they also pull for the Steelers.

Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

I just want to know if any other fan base is like this. Maybe some of the SEC schools... ? The fans at Tennessee told us there would be some fights when they play Florida, so maybe it's more common than I think and I just don't see it. But I can't imagine West Virginians ever being cordial. I wouldn't even consider going to a game at WVU again. I went down there in '09 and they were quizzing us before the game, saying numbers of Pitt players and seeing if we could name them, in an attempt to prove that we weren't real fans. It was weird.
Do you remember some years back when Tx Tech beat Tx a&m & tech students tore down a goal post & shoved it @ a&m fans & some fights broke out. But Tech fans are just as rowdy & belligerent @ Jones Stadium when the Mad Cows come calling as Mountain fans are when you come calling @ Milan Puskar Stadium. It is just as intense.

This is the reason I did not buy any season tickets this year. I have had season tickets for 37 years, but after the last home game with WVU I called it quits. I'm not going to the game to be pushed and shoved and called names. I have gotten so tired of that, very tired.
I'm 74 years old and don't need their fans running through the parking lots yelling at us, throwing trash and trying to get in your face?
That's a lot of fun? Not in my book.
I wrote the administration about what happened. Apparently they just laughed it off as 'college football'.
After 37 years of season tickets I didn't receive one phone call or letter asking why we dropping the tickets. Not one.
Soooo.........
It's an arch rivalry. You need to grow a pair & continue to be there for your team.

I hear ya". That type of obnoxious, sub-human fan behavior from wvu fans coming to OUR town is the reason my group probably isn't renewing our season's tickets next year. We have seats on the 40 in the lower bowl on the home side, really good seats. We sold them yesterday because we didn't want to put up with the s%$t we'd have to with the drunk morons from wvu. That and the exorbitant parking fees for a game.

Seats are always available for individual games in any given year. That's the route we're going next year.
Yes, good seats are always available on the resale market, but there's something to be said for supporting the program.

And as for the person who complained to the administration about WVU fans, what are they supposed to do? Really? Give them a wide berth and don't engage. They aren't going to randomly punch a 74-year old.

Do you remember some years back when Tx Tech beat Tx a&m & tech students tore down a goal post & shoved it @ a&m fans & some fights broke out. But Tech fans are just as rowdy & belligerent @ Jones Stadium when the Mad Cows come calling as Mountain fans are when you come calling @ Milan Puskar Stadium. It is just as intense.

No, I don't watch high school football.

Yes, good seats are always available on the resale market, but there's something to be said for supporting the program.

And as for the person who complained to the administration about WVU fans, what are they supposed to do? Really? Give them a wide berth and don't engage. They aren't going to randomly punch a 74-year old.

Me and my group have been supporting the program for decades. Personally, I've been supporting it since the 60's. Now it's your turn. I'll buy tickets when I see the chance to go to games. But traveling with my wife takes priority now.

I think the guys who used to be hardcore gameday fans are more into realignment conspiracy theories than football. When you have a sub standard internet connection, it can be an all day grind just to check up on whether or not East Carolina is leaning hard towards your conference or not.

I was in 531. Lots of WVU fans behind me. 50-50 split in my immediate vicinity. Other than the
"Eat S*&t Pitt" cheer" (IMO not a great example for kids), no problems at all. When "ESP" started,
I'd turn around and pump my fist answering "Let's Go Pitt". EVERYBODY laughed, even though I
was being out-shouted. Trash talk makes it fun, as long as everyone keeps things in perspective.
One Pitt fan did almost get something bad started flipping off the WVU fans, but virtually
everyone behaved well. This included walking back to downtown post-game and in our hotel later.
DEFINITELY THIS GAME SHOULD BE AN ANNUAL EVENT. I know most coaches don't want
a 12-game schedule with nothing but P4 teams but what's the use of running over Kent St.
or Albany etc. Not to mention the economic benefit to the hotels, restaurants, etc.

I was in 531. Lots of WVU fans behind me. 50-50 split in my immediate vicinity. Other than the
"Eat S*&t Pitt" cheer" (IMO not a great example for kids), no problems at all. When "ESP" started,
I'd turn around and pump my fist answering "Let's Go Pitt". EVERYBODY laughed, even though I
was being out-shouted. Trash talk makes it fun, as long as everyone keeps things in perspective.
One Pitt fan did almost get something bad started flipping off the WVU fans, but virtually
everyone behaved well. This included walking back to downtown post-game and in our hotel later.
DEFINITELY THIS GAME SHOULD BE AN ANNUAL EVENT. I know most coaches don't want
a 12-game schedule with nothing but P4 teams but what's the use of running over Kent St.
or Albany etc. Not to mention the economic benefit to the hotels, restaurants, etc.
I'm glad you mentioned about the revenue the city of Pittsburgh receives from Pitt home games. Question is what revenue does the city of Pittsburgh receive when morganhole & st college have home games???

The year we wore those dumb ass uniforms against them, I sat near a Pitt fan who wouldn't stop prodding a WVU fan. It was the only time I've seen it happen it that direction. They eventually walked down (presumably to the bathroom) together to settle their differences. It did not end well for the Pitt fan, judging by how his face looked when he came back up to the section.
Aside from the obvious alcohol angle, why do people do this? Why would you want to get into a physical confrontation where almost every outcome from it will be negative.

I'm glad you mentioned about the revenue the city of Pittsburgh receives from Pitt home games. Question is what revenue does the city of Pittsburgh receive when morganhole & st college have home games???
Obviously, virtually none. The difference is PSU and WVU have fan bases that attend well regardless of the opponent. Pitt
attendance is poor by comparison, unless opponent is WVU, Notre Dame, PSU (may never play them again). Also Clemson
in 2021.

Obviously, virtually none. The difference is PSU and WVU have fan bases that attend well regardless of the opponent. Pitt
attendance is poor by comparison, unless opponent is WVU, Notre Dame, PSU (may never play them again). Also Clemson
in 2021.
Here we go with nitter or hoopie trolls lecturing us about attendance. PSU post paterno rarely sells out. Tons of empties and opposing fans. Their student section outside of Ohio state and Michigan never sells out. Because wvu has no true big12 rival, their attendance is piss poor too. So take that stance elsewhere

Here we go with nitter or hoopie trolls lecturing us about attendance. PSU post paterno rarely sells out. Tons of empties and opposing fans. Their student section outside of Ohio state and Michigan never sells out. Because wvu has no true big12 rival, their attendance is piss poor too. So take that stance elsewhere
I'm definitely not trolling. just stating facts. NOBODY WANTS PITT TO WIN MORE THAN I DO. It's a fact. Any home Pitt game,
other than the ones I've mentioned is a sea of yellow. It's the "curse" of being a college program in a pro sports town. PSU rarely
draws less than 90,000 (out of 107,000 capacity). Relative attendance at Acrisure would be around 50,000. Don't think we
hit that number very much.

in 2021.
Reason I brought that up is because our local Pittsburgh media treats those 2 like local teams. Pitt generates revenue in Pittsburgh during home games. Pittsburgh doesn't receive any revenue when those 2 have home games in morganhole and st college. Those 2 should receive little to no coverage here for that reason. H2P

Reactions: ratking17
Reason I brought that up is because our local Pittsburgh media treats those 2 like local teams. Pitt generates revenue in Pittsburgh during home games. Pittsburgh doesn't receive any revenue when those 2 have home games in morganhole and st college. Those 2 should receive little to no coverage here for that reason. H2P

I have always said that Ohio State should be treated as a home team by the local media before WVU. OSU has more fans in the local media and are actually good. And parts of Eastern Ohio are essentially part of the Pittsburgh market as much as Morgantown is.

I'm definitely not trolling. just stating facts. NOBODY WANTS PITT TO WIN MORE THAN I DO. It's a fact. Any home Pitt game,
other than the ones I've mentioned is a sea of yellow. It's the "curse" of being a college program in a pro sports town. PSU rarely
draws less than 90,000 (out of 107,000 capacity). Relative attendance at Acrisure would be around 50,000. Don't think we
hit that number very much.
I always tell these st penn and wvcc fans that comparing rural and urban campus college football attendances is ridiculous. Those college teams that draw well are the only major football game in town. Let's savor the victory over wvcc!!!!!! H2P

Reactions: ratking17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT