ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ed Sheeran and Caliente Pizza

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Reactions: USN_Panther
The wife and I had this back in September when we were back. In fact she just commented about it 2 days ago when we got "New York" style pizza here. She said our pizza was nowhere near as good as what we had in the Burgh ... which was Calientes. It's pretty good stuff.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

Personally I have never had their pizza but have been wanting to hit up the Mt Lebo or Crafton location. Who has had it and how is it?

The personal pan pizza you get at PPG Paints is one of the best I've ever had. We went to the one in Lebo recently and tried to get it but they said they make that type special for the arena but they are going to start it in the shops eventually.

To take the other part of your thread, who is Ed Sheeran and is he any good? I never heard of him and he's selling out stadiums. I'm hopelessly old and irrelevant.

Took the family to the Whiskey Rebellion Festival in Washington, PA instead. Symphony orchestra Friday night playing Patriotic songs. Sat live music all.day: country, blues, bluegrass, rock and colonial. Food and history tours. Very impressed with this little gem of a festival.

I went to the concert last night, he put on a great show. He uses a Loop Pedal to keep layering the music, really cool.

As for Caliente, the Sewickley location is closest to me. They have lots of options, I think that they have a lot of hype because they have won a couple of National Events. I think that they are decent, not great.

Personally I have never had their pizza but have been wanting to hit up the Mt Lebo or Crafton location. Who has had it and how is it?

Good pizza, owner is great at self-promotion. Seems to enter a lot of pizza contests and then boast about winning them. Still, it is in the upper end on the Pittsburgh Pizza scene

Good pizza, owner is great at self-promotion. Seems to enter a lot of pizza contests and then boast about winning them. Still, it is in the upper end on the Pittsburgh Pizza scene
When the one in Castle Shannon opened I went to try the award winning pizza. Nothing better than a good pie.

Those pizzas weren’t available in the restaurant. Seems like he does it for the publicity. Of course it’s possible those pizzas are now available but it felt very odd at the time.

Pizza is rather frustrating in the Pgh NH, I’ve not ever found a really good place. This Caliente seems to have many locations, but none in the NH, the greater Mccandless region at least, unless they have put one up in stealth (which doesn’t seem their style, obviously) . I think the closest Caliente we have in my area is either in Sewickley or way past Hampton, not terrible spots but not the greatest to grab one and bring home hot either. I have a ‘place’ nearby we use regularly and they’re nice folks but the pizza is just, you know, ok. If any one knows other hidden jewels around here I’m not aware of…

Pizza is rather frustrating in the Pgh NH, I’ve not ever found a really good place. This Caliente seems to have many locations, but none in the NH, the greater Mccandless region at least, unless they have put one up in stealth (which doesn’t seem their style, obviously) . I think the closest Caliente we have in my area is either in Sewickley or way past Hampton, not terrible spots but not the greatest to grab one and bring home hot either. I have a ‘place’ nearby we use regularly and they’re nice folks but the pizza is just, you know, ok. If any one knows other hidden jewels around here I’m not aware of…
Yes. Best pizza in the burgh is A Slice of New York out on Rt 22 past Murraysville. I called on Friday to order pick up at 5:30 and was told it will be 7:30 before I could. The word is out. It is probably the most authentic "NY" style pizza.

On that note, Pizza can be really good without being "like New York". I mean Napolitan (Naples) pizza is the OG and it is different. New Haven style is good. Detroit is too. Different is okay. Comparing every pizza with one of the NYC famous ones is stupid and arrogant.

Yes. Best pizza in the burgh is A Slice of New York out on Rt 22 past Murraysville. I called on Friday to order pick up at 5:30 and was told it will be 7:30 before I could. The word is out. It is probably the most authentic "NY" style pizza.

On that note, Pizza can be really good without being "like New York". I mean Napolitan (Naples) pizza is the OG and it is different. New Haven style is good. Detroit is too. Different is okay. Comparing every pizza with one of the NYC famous ones is stupid and arrogant.

He's another great self-promotion guy and the media loves him. For "authentic" NYC pizza, I think Slices on broadway is hard to beat. Six-fiver, there is a slices in the flats in Wexford. Might help reduce the North Hills pizza desert

My favorite pizza in Pittsburgh has always been Luciano’s since the first time I tried it as a kid in White Oak. Last time I had it was at their North Hills location behind Laroche College. Is it still there? I want to say I heard it was a Covid casualty. If it’s there or elsewhere in the north hills, I’d pick one up today. The absolute best for me hands down.

My favorite pizza in Pittsburgh has always been Luciano’s since the first time I tried it as a kid in White Oak. Last time I had it was at their North Hills location behind Laroche College. Is it still there? I want to say I heard it was a Covid casualty. If it’s there or elsewhere in the north hills, I’d pick one up today. The absolute best for me hands down.
I just drove past there a week ago or so.....and I am trying to remember if it is still there. I think so. On further research, there is a pizza place in that spot, but it is now something different. Pints and Pies or something like that.

I just drove past there a week ago or so.....and I am trying to remember if it is still there. I think so. On further research, there is a pizza place in that spot, but it is now something different. Pints and Pies or something like that.
Pints and pies sound good too. Lol.

I just looked up Luciano’s and it appears there’s a Mars location in the north.

With everything else on their menu, I could eat at Luciano’s everyday. It’s hard to find a good family owned Italian restaurant, and when you do find one, it’s a keeper.

Large Plain is the name of the place (yeah, that is actually the name). I’ve heard mixed reviews ... actually, better things about its burgers and other non-pizza. But it isn’t incredibly far from where I live so I may try it out soon.

I went to the concert last night, he put on a great show. He uses a Loop Pedal to keep layering the music, really cool.

As for Caliente, the Sewickley location is closest to me. They have lots of options, I think that they have a lot of hype because they have won a couple of National Events. I think that they are decent, not great.
I only know a couple of his songs, but he seems very talented and a pretty cool guy who is down to earth. He seems to get it by going to Caliente's and interacting with the fans. Not many performers would do something like that right before the big show.

Reactions: The Ole Six-Fiver
Pizza Roma on rt 19 in NH was my go to but not been there lately
Is that the place that looks like a penis in cranberry? I wanted to mention that one but I always get it confused with another place on 19. Might actually be the other pizza Roma location. Very good pizza.

Is that the place that looks like a penis in cranberry? I wanted to mention that one but I always get it confused with another place on 19. Might actually be the other pizza Roma location. Very good pizza.

Lol. I was visiting Pittsburgh on Friday and drove by that place and wondering what the heck it was supposed to be.

• Haha
Aiellos on Rt 8 is good. Pasquale’s good for a basic pie.

Caliente Pizza in Hampton is one of the worst pizzas I've ever had.
I gotta tell you - I wholeheartedly agree. I’ve heard people rave about Caliente. I’ve tried it three times now; and it was seriously a$$. I’m guessing people that eat it have no idea what good pizza is.

The best pizza in Pittsburgh is Fiori’s, and it’s not particularly close. Not their Peters Twp location, the original one. It’s simply the best. Mineo’s Squirrel Hill and Aiello’s Squirrel Hill.

Authentic style - Il Pizzaiolo and Piccolo Forno.

Pints and pies sound good too. Lol.

I just looked up Luciano’s and it appears there’s a Mars location in the north.

With everything else on their menu, I could eat at Luciano’s everyday. It’s hard to find a good family owned Italian restaurant, and when you do find one, it’s a keeper.
Yeah there is on rt 228.

I gotta tell you - I wholeheartedly agree. I’ve heard people rave about Caliente. I’ve tried it three times now; and it was seriously a$$. I’m guessing people that eat it have no idea what good pizza is.

The best pizza in Pittsburgh is Fiori’s, and it’s not particularly close. Not their Peters Twp location, the original one. It’s simply the best. Mineo’s Squirrel Hill and Aiello’s Squirrel Hill.

I don’t understand Fiori’s. It’s ok but far from the best. 4 out of 10 for me.

The worlds a funny place, isn’t it? How people have such different opinions.

Reactions: FireballZ
Vincent's?
Vincent’s is very good. Just a different experience. I had a Shelly Pie (Vincent’s knockoff) recently and really liked it. As a matter of fact, anyone driving through turtle creek should stop and have a pie and a beer at Shelly’s. It’s a cool atmosphere. And the pizza is the same as Vincent’s. Just a different pizza experience altogether than a Pizza Roma or Luciano’s.

Reactions: jtbuba
Vincent’s is very good. Just a different experience. I had a Shelly Pie (Vincent’s knockoff) recently and really liked it. As a matter of fact, anyone driving through turtle creek should stop and have a pie and a beer at Shelly’s. It’s a cool atmosphere. And the pizza is the same as Vincent’s. Just a different pizza experience altogether than a Pizza Roma or Luciano’s.

Conforti's in Irwin is the same way. It used to be a Vincent's years ago, until the people running the place had a fall out with Vinnie (or by that point probably Vinnie's family). So they changed the name but they still make the same pizza the same way.

Conforti's in Irwin is the same way. It used to be a Vincent's years ago, until the people running the place had a fall out with Vinnie (or by that point probably Vinnie's family). So they changed the name but they still make the same pizza the same way.
Is that the place on Rt 30 in front of Giant Eagle where Teddys used to be or next to it? I remember having a Vincent’s there about 20 years ago.

Is that the place on Rt 30 in front of Giant Eagle where Teddys used to be or next to it? I remember having a Vincent’s there about 20 years ago.

Yes, it's a hundred or two yards down the highway from where Teddy's used to be. There was the former Teddys, then going west there is a little plaza with a drug store and a couple other things in it, and then Conforti's is just past there.

Correct.

I don’t understand Fiori’s. It’s ok but far from the best. 4 out of 10 for me.

The worlds a funny place, isn’t it? How people have such different opinions.
What I laugh is the so called "experts" on here who decry there is no good pizza in Pittsburgh. Like they grew up in Brooklyn. I would say and most people would say amongst cities, Pittsburgh is probably in the top 10 in quality and quantity. Visit other cities outside of NYC and Chicago and tell me different.

Italians think all American pizza is garbage. All new Yorkers think pizza anywhere else is garbage. The original isn't always the best. True Italian pasta has pasta that can pish al dente chewy to the limit of interpretation and their sauce is thin and watery. I think American sauce with, as they say in the industry, "visible solids" meaning hearty/chunky, is an improvement.

To each his own. I love Grimaldi's, but I love lots of pizzas outside of Brooklyn.

To be honest, I like the taste at Maggiano's and Olive Garden better than Rao's, and pasta sauce in America better than that in Rome, Florence, or Sicily and a local pizza better than an original Margherita in Italy.

Italians think all American pizza is garbage. All new Yorkers think pizza anywhere else is garbage. The original isn't always the best. True Italian pasta has pasta that can pish al dente chewy to the limit of interpretation and their sauce is thin and watery. I think American sauce with, as they say in the industry, "visible solids" meaning hearty/chunky, is an improvement.

To each his own. I love Grimaldi's, but I love lots of pizzas outside of Brooklyn.

To be honest, I like the taste at Maggiano's and Olive Garden better than Rao's, and pasta sauce in America better than that in Rome, Florence, or Sicily and a local pizza better than an original Margherita in Italy.
And of course it is what you are used to. Right?? But on pasta, I do find one of the biggest issues with local red sauce joints in the US, is they turn the pasta into literally "paste". They cook the hell out of it. Al dente pasta, well cooked and not smothered in sauce is a really great thing.

Reactions: pittguy81

Honestly FK their pizza is excellent. It's pricey but worth a splurge every once and a while. Good wings too....and a nice draft selection...I went to the original in Bloomfield and the one in Sewickley.

Last edited:
  • Love
Gonzo. New pizza joint in its place

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT