ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ed Sheeran and Caliente Pizza

Italians think all American pizza is garbage. All new Yorkers think pizza anywhere else is garbage. The original isn't always the best. True Italian pasta has pasta that can pish al dente chewy to the limit of interpretation and their sauce is thin and watery. I think American sauce with, as they say in the industry, "visible solids" meaning hearty/chunky, is an improvement.

To each his own. I love Grimaldi's, but I love lots of pizzas outside of Brooklyn.

To be honest, I like the taste at Maggiano's and Olive Garden better than Rao's, and pasta sauce in America better than that in Rome, Florence, or Sicily and a local pizza better than an original Margherita in Italy.
Sauce depends on the region of Italy. Sicilian sauce is going to be different than Calabrese or Abbruzzese sauce.....

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Sauce depends on the region of Italy. Sicilian sauce is going to be different than Calabrese or Abbruzzese sauce.....
I mean I love your typical Italian American red sauce. I am not going to be snobby over that. It is awesome and perhaps overall, one of my favorite things to eat.

I mean I love your typical Italian American red sauce. I am not going to be snobby over that. It is awesome and perhaps overall, one of my favorite things to eat.
My father in law was 1st generation and learned his sauce from his mom. It was on the thicker side and his meatballs were cooked directly in the sauce. The guy who owns Domenicos in Cranberry, Dom Lombardo, is from Italy and he learned his favorite sauce from his mom....chopped Roma tomatoes, olive oil and garlic cooked for about 20 minutes.....my FIL's took hours....

And of course it is what you are used to. Right?? But on pasta, I do find one of the biggest issues with local red sauce joints in the US, is they turn the pasta into literally "paste". They cook the hell out of it. Al dente pasta, well cooked and not smothered in sauce is a really great thing.
Al dente is fine. Some peoples definition is borderline crunchy. That's where I draw the line.

My father in law was 1st generation and learned his sauce from his mom. It was on the thicker side and his meatballs were cooked directly in the sauce. The guy who owns Domenicos in Cranberry, Dom Lombardo, is from Italy and he learned his favorite sauce from his mom....chopped Roma tomatoes, olive oil and garlic cooked for about 20 minutes.....my FIL's took hours....
That’s Ron cooks buddy and his watering hole.

Here’s a question:

Sauce…mixed and tossed with the pasta? Or spooned over the pasta? I believe that could be region specific too.

On the subject of jarred red sauce. I have never gotten the lust over Rao’s. Not terrible. But frankly some store brand sauces of the same variety are at least as good. I have never had a jarred sauce worth some of the insane prices you’ll see, ie 8 or 9 bucks a jar. In WPA the best bargain IMO is DelGrosso’s sauces, whether marinara, meat flavored, or three cheese. Often put on great sales at Da Iggel.

Here’s a question:

Sauce…mixed and tossed with the pasta? Or spooned over the pasta? I believe that could be region specific too.
Mix and toss ahead in my house.

The Al Dente question caused consternation in the household. My wife and kids like it boiled to near disintegration. I like a chew in mine.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

Here’s a question:

My father in law used to put a small ladle of sauce into the pasta to keep it from sticking together, giving them a bit of a coating and then put out the sauce in bowl and a seperate dish of Meatballs, sausage (always cooked in a different pot of sauce) etc.

Here’s a question:

It's a nice place. No pretense or bullsh*t just solid pizza and good Italian food at reasonable prices....nice bar area, good draft list and bourbon selection. Ron is there every time my wife and I go there glad-handing the owner for free drinks....although they genuinely seem to be friends as much as Cook isn't my cup of tea.

I've been to the one in Bloomfield. It was alright but nothing more than that. Barely in the top 3 in the neighborhood. I got a plain cheese, not one of the many fancy ones. An old roommate used to get their seafood pizzas. That was actually pretty good.

It's a nice place. No pretense or bullsh*t just solid pizza and good Italian food at reasonable prices....nice bar area, good draft list and bourbon selection. Ron is there every time my wife and I go there glad-handing the owner for free drinks....although they genuinely seem to be friends as much as Cook isn't my cup of tea.
Thanks. I’ll check it out and be sure to stay out of the bar and away from Cookie.

Yes. Best pizza in the burgh is A Slice of New York out on Rt 22 past Murraysville. I called on Friday to order pick up at 5:30 and was told it will be 7:30 before I could. The word is out. It is probably the most authentic "NY" style pizza.

On that note, Pizza can be really good without being "like New York". I mean Napolitan (Naples) pizza is the OG and it is different. New Haven style is good. Detroit is too. Different is okay. Comparing every pizza with one of the NYC famous ones is stupid and arrogant.
Mercurio’s in Shadyside is the best place in pittsburgh

I do enjoy Spak Brothers .
Angelo’s was my go to for awhile but they’ve changed their pizza recipe a few times lately
Graziano’s is pretty good - its a bit better than Slice
Both Angelo's and Pizza Italia have struggled with new ownership and changes in ovens. They are both still fantastic but not up to the amazing old days when they and Lombardozi's were top notch in the city.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Mercurio’s in Shadyside is the best place in pittsburgh
I never at there, but have at their Fox Chapel location. I really enjoyed it. Plus their wedding soup has exactly what my biggest complaint about local "Eyetalian" restaurants. Those little pasting pasta in the soup was absolutely perfectly cooked, you could bite each one and it wasn't mush.

Anyways, back to the pizza. I like Mercurios like alot of Napolitan styles, they are easy to eat. They aren't overly filling. Which is a good thing.

I do enjoy Spak Brothers .
Angelo’s was my go to for awhile but they’ve changed their pizza recipe a few times lately
Graziano’s is pretty good - its a bit better than Slice

Graziano's is having major staffing issues. Went there recently and there was literally one person working. Taking orders, making the food, cashing people out. Didn't answer phone so we ordered online. Said twenty minutes but when we got there not ready and turned into 40 minutes.

Spak isn't open for lunch anymore, wish they had room to sit down. Would be cold by the time I picked it up for dinner and brought it home.

This thread is going in to the always controversial pizza favorites, probably second only to politics when it comes to heated discussion. But at any rate has anyone ever been to Spirit Pizza in Lawrenceville? Surprisingly good pizza and a great deal at happy hour for beer and pizza. Kind of an "eclectic" clientele, but it was a good experience.

Another good pizza in Lawrenceville is Driftwood. But a warning it is very over-priced. Good for splurge now & then but don't think any pizza is worth what they charge (well over $20 for a standard pie). Another of the new generation of people makers that takes themselves too seriously, but as I said it was tasty.

Last edited:
also, I was only there once, but big time Pitt supporters/fans who own Piazza Talerico's have a good pizza and a nice outdoor seating area.

I want to try Pizza Lupo in Lawrenceville. It is supposedly really good. The problem is for alot of these, there aren't much sit down areas, and they are out of the way for pickups. I mean what they are doing with Rt 28 right now, I have pretty much written off Pittsburgh and the Strip, etc.... Because it is a pure clusterbleep

Agree. My wife an I ate there quite often when we lived in Cranberry.

I gotta tell you - I wholeheartedly agree. I’ve heard people rave about Caliente. I’ve tried it three times now; and it was seriously a$$. I’m guessing people that eat it have no idea what good pizza is.

The best pizza in Pittsburgh is Fiori’s, and it’s not particularly close. Not their Peters Twp location, the original one. It’s simply the best. Mineo’s Squirrel Hill and Aiello’s Squirrel Hill.

Authentic style - Il Pizzaiolo and Piccolo Forno.
Let’s be honest -
Pizza in pittsburgh is mid at its best

True, but here are a few outliers imho, summarized from a few other posts I think I made on this thread.

Il Pizzaoili - good, fairly authentic Neapolitan, but very over-priced. Owner of original place is kind of a jerk too.
worked at the original one in mt lebo in late 90s for a bit. the owner was a nice guy, his dad was a D-bag though who thought he owned it.

Personally I have never had their pizza but have been wanting to hit up the Mt Lebo or Crafton location. Who has had it and how is it?
I live in Lebo and It is good as well as all their food...it's not Mineo's or Fiori's but a good place to go for a change of pace.

worked at the original one in mt lebo in late 90s for a bit. the owner was a nice guy, his dad was a D-bag though who thought he owned it.

lol, I deleted my post since I thought the pizza thread was getting old but on second thought I guess I should have left it in. Thanks for quoting and rescuing it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT