ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fat Tuesday/Lent

I agree, I couldn't handle the one day no food for my colonoscopy. I think some of the other suggestions in this thread are better, especially giving up the alcohol. Eat in moderation, reduce eating between meals, exercise...
i mean, this isnt rocket science. dont eat garbage food, exercise, eat in moderation oh and dont drink a 1/2 case of beer a day...

We all know the answers, its just doing it..

i mean, this isnt rocket science. dont eat garbage food, exercise, eat in moderation oh and dont drink a 1/2 case of beer a day...

It is hard for me to drink beer anymore. The only times I drink beer are:
1) Social situations
2) Certain foods like wings and pizza go good with beer,

But to sit down and have like 2-3 beers (or more) on my own? No way.

It is hard for me to drink beer anymore. The only times I drink beer are:
1) Social situations
2) Certain foods like wings and pizza go good with beer,

But to sit down and have like 2-3 beers (or more) on my own? No way.
move down to the south hills and hang out with me, i'll fix this in no time..

Yeah I similarly self-medicated with Nyquil. I'm a terrible sleeper bc of stress and constant use of electronic devices. Even before the baby my wife and I would get up at 5:00am for her job. So I basically go hard for weeks getting 6 or fewer hours per night and then once every 2-3 weeks I'd take a little bit of Nyquil and sleep for 9 hours and be 100% better. Unfortunately with the baby I don't get these "reset" nights anymore. I don't even get the normal nights of 6-7 hours uninterrupted.

It sucks because I love my son so much and I really wanted to have more kids, partially for him, but I just don't think I physically can. I definitely cannot do this 1+ years of sleeping 2 hours at a time again, especially not with multiple kids. The lack of sleep is taking almost all enjoyment out of my life. I physically cannot exercise anymore bc I'm spent all the time so I've lost all of this weight and become anemic. I eat 5 meals per day and I just can't keep the weight on bc I'm awake so much my body is using it all for fuel. I'm also too tired to enjoy any of my hobbies once he goes to bed. I find myself just getting into bed at 8:30 and being a zombie for 30 mins, finally falling asleep before he wakes up at 10:30 and then getting up with him and holding him for 60-90 mins until he stays asleep. Sometimes, like last night, it takes me another hour on top of that to unwind and fall back asleep.

It's been so, so hard. I can't even talk to people about this because they think it's my fault somehow that he doesn't sleep. A lot of my friends have no problem going out to basketball games, on trips abroad, etc., because their kids have always slept for 12 hours straight. Mine has made it through the night probably under 5 times since January 2022 (and even when he did I still got up 1-2 times with the dog before she passed away). I feel badly doing anything that normal parents do bc then I'm asking my almost 70 year old parents to take on this physical burden. So the last year has been a Groundhogs Day of suffering.
Sounds a lot like what I went through. My wife worked night shift at the hospital so I was left alone to care for an infant. Was like for many years. The cruelest part of it all is that just when you think you got it figured out, they change somehow. Really had to learn to adapt and yeah, lots of sleepless nights and cold meals.

Don't take other people's advice on how to do things because most of it is dumb and you end up changing things too much which is wildly disturbing. Just do whatever works. I remember the wife getting pissed because she figured out that I was using formula instead of pumped breast milk for the last feeding but the formula filled her up more and she slept longer. Of course I'm doing that. It was my problem so I came up with a solution. Figure out what works for you and tell everyone else to f-off.

I eventually gave up on trying to do things for myself. Was just too stressful to try to enjoy myself. Was stressful to ask anyone for help because it felt very imposing. I ended up taking her with me to do a lot of things. Didn't always go well but it did allow me to do more. She got to experience some things at a younger age than most of her friends. I put on a lot of weight during that time and really had to work to get rid of it. Best of luck with it all.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
dont listen to these guys, raising kids is easy. two things, buy plenty of wipes and park next to the cart return areas when going grocery shopping... the rest takes care of itself..

Sounds a lot like what I went through. My wife worked night shift at the hospital so I was left alone to care for an infant. Was like for many years. The cruelest part of it all is that just when you think you got it figured out, they change somehow. Really had to learn to adapt and yeah, lots of sleepless nights and cold meals.

Don't take other people's advice on how to do things because most of it is dumb and you end up changing things too much which is wildly disturbing. Just do whatever works. I remember the wife getting pissed because she figured out that I was using formula instead of pumped breast milk for the last feeding but the formula filled her up more and she slept longer. Of course I'm doing that. It was my problem so I came up with a solution. Figure out what works for you and tell everyone else to f-off.

I eventually gave up on trying to do things for myself. Was just too stressful to try to enjoy myself. Was stressful to ask anyone for help because it felt very imposing. I ended up taking her with me to do a lot of things. Didn't always go well but it did allow me to do more. She got to experience some things at a younger age than most of her friends. I put on a lot of weight during that time and really had to work to get rid of it. Best of luck with it all.

That's all good advice. We breast-fed, too. It was good and bad. 2022 had wicked formula supply issues so we got to skip those but I think most of his waking up is to feed. Formula almost definitely would have kept him asleep longer (and probably fewer diaper blowouts from what I've heard) but we were too scared to switch and then potentially have to deal with not being able to find the specific formula that worked for him or even any formula at all.

One thing that's really helped has been hiring out more help. I don't do most of the yard work anymore, I definitely don't do any home improvement stuff, and we pay for housekeeping and lots more takeout. That's all stuff that I previously enjoyed doing but I just can't. Thankfully the yard crew is extraordinarily cheap somehow and we did most home upgrades before the baby so money hasn't been a major issue.

I really want to be able to work out again. I'm in a lot of pain from not lifting or stretching. Just sports and military injuries with my joints that get a lot worse when I don't do strength training. And I hate the way I look bc of the weight loss but yeah there's nothing I can really do about it at this point. At least I still have my hair lol.

That's all good advice. We breast-fed, too. It was good and bad. 2022 had wicked formula supply issues so we got to skip those but I think most of his waking up is to feed. Formula almost definitely would have kept him asleep longer (and probably fewer diaper blowouts from what I've heard) but we were too scared to switch and then potentially have to deal with not being able to find the specific formula that worked for him or even any formula at all.

One thing that's really helped has been hiring out more help. I don't do most of the yard work anymore, I definitely don't do any home improvement stuff, and we pay for housekeeping and lots more takeout. That's all stuff that I previously enjoyed doing but I just can't. Thankfully the yard crew is extraordinarily cheap somehow and we did most home upgrades before the baby so money hasn't been a major issue.

I really want to be able to work out again. I'm in a lot of pain from not lifting or stretching. Just sports and military injuries with my joints that get a lot worse when I don't do strength training. And I hate the way I look bc of the weight loss but yeah there's nothing I can really do about it at this point. At least I still have my hair lol.
Oh yeah. That formula thing was problematic.

Smart to source some work. I went so far as to put her in a car seat and put her in the shade near where I was working. Usually an old, nearly transparent, thread worn blanket over her to keep the bugs out. Our dog never left her when I did that so I felt reasonably confident she'd be okay. Treadmill was a big help. I could keep her nearby. Later, she played with her toys near me. Not the greatest workout but it was better than nothing. I actually find it harder to workout now that she's so busy with various activities. Irony of it all.

Yeah I similarly self-medicated with Nyquil. I'm a terrible sleeper bc of stress and constant use of electronic devices. Even before the baby my wife and I would get up at 5:00am for her job. So I basically go hard for weeks getting 6 or fewer hours per night and then once every 2-3 weeks I'd take a little bit of Nyquil and sleep for 9 hours and be 100% better. Unfortunately with the baby I don't get these "reset" nights anymore. I don't even get the normal nights of 6-7 hours uninterrupted.

It sucks because I love my son so much and I really wanted to have more kids, partially for him, but I just don't think I physically can. I definitely cannot do this 1+ years of sleeping 2 hours at a time again, especially not with multiple kids. The lack of sleep is taking almost all enjoyment out of my life. I physically cannot exercise anymore bc I'm spent all the time so I've lost all of this weight and become anemic. I eat 5 meals per day and I just can't keep the weight on bc I'm awake so much my body is using it all for fuel. I'm also too tired to enjoy any of my hobbies once he goes to bed. I find myself just getting into bed at 8:30 and being a zombie for 30 mins, finally falling asleep before he wakes up at 10:30 and then getting up with him and holding him for 60-90 mins until he stays asleep. Sometimes, like last night, it takes me another hour on top of that to unwind and fall back asleep.

It's been so, so hard. I can't even talk to people about this because they think it's my fault somehow that he doesn't sleep. A lot of my friends have no problem going out to basketball games, on trips abroad, etc., because their kids have always slept for 12 hours straight. Mine has made it through the night probably under 5 times since January 2022 (and even when he did I still got up 1-2 times with the dog before she passed away). I feel badly doing anything that normal parents do bc then I'm asking my almost 70 year old parents to take on this physical burden. So the last year has been a Groundhogs Day of suffering.
Sleeping habits will change as they get older. More variety of food and solids will help a lot. Sometimes it's acid reflux related, we had that with our middle child. She was up constantly. Our youngest used to sleep like crazy, usually 10-12 hours a night. It was really weird, particularly for a breast fed baby. I think her record was 17 or 18 hours one time. My wife actually called the doctor worried about it. They laughed and said enjoy it while you can.

Try not to get discouraged. It will change as they get older, and your next child will likely be completely different.

Sleeping habits will change as they get older. More variety of food and solids will help a lot. Sometimes it's acid reflux related, we had that with our middle child. She was up constantly. Our youngest used to sleep like crazy, usually 10-12 hours a night. It was really weird, particularly for a breast fed baby. I think her record was 17 or 18 hours one time. My wife actually called the doctor worried about it. They laughed and said enjoy it while you can.

Try not to get discouraged. It will change as they get older, and your next child will likely be completely different.
And teething
And ear infections
And every damned viral thing they catch at daycare

Man.. This sounds like an excellent idea to try . My Irish-Catholic Mother would be ecstatic for me .. Unfortunate that I just read this and I'm on my 4th beer tonight ..
Oh well .. Good luck . And Cheers !!

Finances (unless you don't make any money) and eating right (unless you don't make any money) are two of the simplest things to get right but you have to sacrifice short term enjoyment for long term success. I'm good at that with money... bad with diet. I crave junk foods and want a nice cocktail or beer when I go to dinner somewhere

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Well....made it through the weekend. No issues. I do realize I totally drink out of boredom (and like the taste) but I really have no physiological addiction to it. Because not drinking anything since last Tuesday has had no impact, except I am sleeping better (which is good).

good, but man not having a beer with a fish sammie on Friday would be tough to do

These foods trigger alcohol with me:
Wings. Beer
Pizza. Beer.
Steak. Red Wine.
Good red sauce. Red Wine.
When I start counting calories, I eat my tuna or whatever it is, and then I’m already thinking about my next meal. It’s all mental.

Then when I’m not counting calories I can eat 1-2 times per day with no issue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT