ADVERTISEMENT

OT: FIBA Champions League??

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I haven’t clicked into the NBA playoff thread, but seeing it had me thinking about the NBA and how great their marketing has always been. The playoff play-in is brilliant and I’d bet money that the NHL steals the idea sooner than later. And the In season tournament is extremely forward thinking, except it is flawed for reasons we’ve all discussed here. So it had we wondering for all you NBA guys…would the NBA’s entrance into the Champions League interest you more than the in season tourney? Would it make the league’s membership more money, which is certainly what every owners wish.

Has world basketball got to a level where the top 4 NBA teams (those who reach the conference championship each year) could enter the champions league each year and it would have you interested in seeing them navigate through group play and into knockout rounds of a tourney to determine a FIBA world champ? Surely the NBA teams would advance and be the top teams. But would it be interesting?

Just for reference and what it could become one day when basketball grows, 458 million people watch the UEFA (soccer) Champions League Final, while 20 million people watch the NBA final. I’d imagine that no one watches the FIBA champions league now, but add the NBA and the growth will be significant. I’d imagine the NBA has looked into this? Or no?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News