ADVERTISEMENT

OT - First Sub 2 Hour Marathon

doing 12mph on a bike is a pretty solid pace for your average biker..my wife and I went out for an 18 mile ride yesterday at about 10mph and were beat....I mentioned had this dude started a few minutes before we did he would pass us on the trail and we would never see him again...that really put it into perspective...

As an ex runner and a best of a sub 2:50.. I struggle mentally with a sub 2 hour marathon... that is crazy.

Awesome going out for 18 miles.. couple important things when cycling, saddle height and tire pressure.
If you are looking for a beautiful bike ride.. Skyline Drive Virginia.

The beautiful thing about running is for most “hobby joggers” your accomplishments are only against your expectations. So if that was your goal, you achieved something great. And that’s all that matters. Just like most sports, it’s a transferable lesson in life to train for and achieve something that you otherwise thought was improbable.

Beyond the fact that most don’t have a frame of reference of what this kind of pace means (I consider myself relatively fast— top 2.5% overall of male marathon runners and haven’t sniffed 4:30 for 1 continuous mile), most are completely missing the point of the orchestrated event. So much criticism over how he went about it. It wasn’t meant to create a World Record (which Eliud already owns). If he had run a 1:59:40 at Boston it wouldn’t be record eligible anyway. It wasn’t meant to win a race (this event wasn’t a race). It was purely an event that Eliud and team put together to prove, under a scenario as controlled as it could be, that it’s physically possible for a human to run 26.2 miles in under two hours.

Top 2.5% congrats.. ton of training involved for sure.

I've run a 4:21 mile at the Field House a few years out college..

The beautiful thing about running is for most “hobby joggers” your accomplishments are only against your expectations. So if that was your goal, you achieved something great. And that’s all that matters. Just like most sports, it’s a transferable lesson in life to train for and achieve something that you otherwise thought was improbable.

Beyond the fact that most don’t have a frame of reference of what this kind of pace means (I consider myself relatively fast— top 2.5% overall of male marathon runners and haven’t sniffed 4:30 for 1 continuous mile), most are completely missing the point of the orchestrated event. So much criticism over how he went about it. It wasn’t meant to create a World Record (which Eliud already owns). If he had run a 1:59:40 at Boston it wouldn’t be record eligible anyway. It wasn’t meant to win a race (this event wasn’t a race). It was purely an event that Eliud and team put together to prove, under a scenario as controlled as it could be, that it’s physically possible for a human to run 26.2 miles in under two hours.

Top 2.5% congrats.. ton of training involved for sure.

I've run a 4:21 mile at the Field House a few years out college..

Thank you. Still have a few years left in me to try to go sub-2:50 like you but I’m nearing my aerobic capacity. Not too far off, but you know how improvements go when you hit that threshold.

4:21 is so impressive. I’ve run a 2:15 800m within some interval training and thought I was going to pass out. I just can’t comprehend doing it for an entire mile, let alone 26+ of them.

Running fast is for 120 pound chicken legged runners. I prefer my ultras where a hill involves running 4 miles up and gaining 3,000-4,000 feet, and that’s just at the start. Nothing like a day full of trail, 10-15,000 feet of gain and 50 miles. My warmup in a race is a marathon. No pacers, no mules, no drafting, just dirt, rocks, getting lost, and lots of hot chicks with tasteful tattoos peeing in the woods right next to you. Oh, and usually bbq and beer at the finish.

Running fast is for 120 pound chicken legged runners. I prefer my ultras where a hill involves running 4 miles up and gaining 3,000-4,000 feet, and that’s just at the start. Nothing like a day full of trail, 10-15,000 feet of gain and 50 miles. My warmup in a race is a marathon. No pacers, no mules, no drafting, just dirt, rocks, getting lost, and lots of hot chicks with tasteful tattoos peeing in the woods right next to you. Oh, and usually bbq and beer at the finish.
You lost me at tattoos. I'm with you on all of the rest. At least I was when my knees still worked.

I am really struggling to understand why so many posters are trying to discount this accomplishment.

Meanwhile I'm over here just trying to break 4:30:00.

Thank you. Still have a few years left in me to try to go sub-2:50 like you but I’m nearing my aerobic capacity. Not too far off, but you know how improvements go when you hit that threshold.

4:21 is so impressive. I’ve run a 2:15 800m within some interval training and thought I was going to pass out. I just can’t comprehend doing it for an entire mile, let alone 26+ of them.

Speed work is vital and good training partners... it’s super tough by yourself. I was fortunate with training partners... some were paid runners/all Americans and I’ve mentioned previously that I did some training with R. Kingdom.. some of them were smokin fast. Train fast.. race fast.

Reactions: E_Kegs

That’s like saying a Ferrari stinks because it can’t ride off-road.

You’re a badass, bro. Keep running your 9-12 minute miles or whatever you do. But don’t discount the marathon and its requirements for success.

I like the motto .. just train..

Doesn’t matter what.. just get the heart rate up and the juices flowing.

Reactions: E_Kegs
Can we get the location with GPS???
Lol, yeah. My man RJ is in races running up mountains with the finish line consisting of beer, bbq and hot chicks shamelessly urinating in the open.

Why the hell am I just hearing about such a thing? I’d be a running and training fool if I knew this was around.

Lol, yeah. My man RJ is in races running up mountains with the finish line consisting of beer, bbq and hot chicks shamelessly urinating in the open.

Why the hell am I just hearing about such a thing? I’d be a running and training fool if I knew this was around.
Lots of hot road and cross country chicks are doing ultras. It’s hard as hell and these chicks make it look easy. I’ve done hundred milers and some of them just hop and skip up the mountain past me and I’m in the top 25% percent finishing times. And yes, those black short tights with tank tops are everywhere on the mountain. Let’s just say, I’m ok following behind.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

You’re a badass, bro. Keep running your 9-12 minute miles or whatever you do. But don’t discount the marathon and its requirements for success.
I’ve run a sub 20 hour 100 miler. I feel pretty good not being a 2:30 marathoner, but a hundred mile finisher numerous times. Running four marathons at once, not too bad.

I’ve run a sub 20 hour 100 miler. I feel pretty good not being a 2:30 marathoner, but a hundred mile finisher numerous times. Running four marathons at once, not too bad.
You ran 100 miles in under 20 hours??

I have no clue how this works. What kind of breaks do you take??

pardon my language here but one hundred F’in miles??

That’s awesome. Maybe I’ll be like the rest of them and switch from marathons to ultras when I get too slow for road races.

But again, you’re talking about really slow paces. Have you ever thought that maybe some people just aren’t impressed by what you do because you’re so damn slow? Just like you aren’t impressed by marathons because they’re only 26.2 miles? Both events have impressive attributes.

My recovery paces in between lactic threshold intervals are ~ 8’45” mi. I don’t think I’ve run a mile at slower than a 10’00” lpace since middle school. I can’t imagine running an entire event at such a snails pace.

Different strokes for different folks.

That’s awesome. Maybe I’ll be like the rest of them and switch from marathons to ultras when I get too slow for road races.

But again, you’re talking about really slow paces. Have you ever thought that maybe some people just aren’t impressed by what you do because you’re so damn slow? Just like you aren’t impressed by marathons because they’re only 26.2 miles? Both events have impressive attributes.

My recovery paces in between lactic threshold intervals are ~ 8’45” mi. I don’t think I’ve run a mile at slower than a 10’00” lpace since middle school. I can’t imagine running an entire event at such a snails pace.

Different strokes for different folks.

For some people, running 26.2 at a 10 minute pace from start to finish would be a remarkable accomplishment. Like I said upthread, I'm really working to break 4:30 for my next race. I'm just not designed to be a fast distance runner. Your speed is remarkable. As is @RJPittPanther ultra distances. But that doesn't discount the great unwashed masses of us who love the physical and mental challenge of a marathon but acknowledge we'll be out there for 4+ hours.

I'd rather be the guy with the beer at the finish line.

Reactions: PittFamily2
As an ex runner and a best of a sub 2:50.. I struggle mentally with a sub 2 hour marathon... that is crazy.

Awesome going out for 18 miles.. couple important things when cycling, saddle height and tire pressure.
If you are looking for a beautiful bike ride.. Skyline Drive Virginia.
I've been through it via vehicle and it is wonderful..Unfortunately, the knees won't take the elevation climbs very well any more...More of a rails to trails kind of guy nowadays. Some nice ones here in Central PA. Best ones, of course, have trail heads near a bar..

Honestly - who cares ?
It’s an epic achievement .
26.2 miles in less than 2 hours is insane
Sometimes it takes over 2 hours to drive from Monroeville to the City of Pittsburgh on the parkway!!! LOL LOL!!! One other thing, why in the world are there people trying to take away from this man's incredible athletic accomplishment? The man covered 26+ miles in just under an two hours...that by itself is amazing.

Sometimes it takes over 2 hours to drive from Monroeville to the City of Pittsburgh on the parkway!!! LOL LOL!!! One other thing, why in the world are there people trying to take away from this man's incredible athletic accomplishment? The man covered 26+ miles in just under an two hours...that by itself is amazing.
Would you call a sprinter who runs a 9.00 time in the 100m on a downhill track a world record holder? They don't recognize times posted with a strong tailwind

It's a fabulous feat, but not a legit record..

You and a few others keep questioning why so many on here are minimizing this guy’s achievement.

I guess I’m not interpreting it that way, I don’t see many if anyone minimizing the achievement, just providing the background of the whole event and explaining why it isn’t considered an official world record.

Amen to that. I enjoy going to the gym. Weights and some cardio. I can’t even begin to understand running these distances but I respect the hell out of it. Pretty remarkable whether it’s 2 or 5 hours for the 26.2.
You betcha. Bad knees ended any thoughts I had of being competitive in anything more strenuous than Parcheesi. But I really admire the work ethic of these folks.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
It does matter. It matters how it was done. There are former record holders who did it in races against competitors without personal guides and excessive drafting. We don’t acknowledge fastest cyclist with automobile drafting or even pacers and drafters. They do it on a track by themselves.
These cyclists beg to differ.
bike.png

These cyclists beg to differ.
bike.png
That’s a team time trial. Check out individual time trial and also world record distances on a track are done alone. And the UCI is very strict about bikes in regards to geometry, weight, length and angle of TT bars etc. The marathon record was suppose to be solo, not with 40 pacers.

Amen to that. I enjoy going to the gym. Weights and some cardio. I can’t even begin to understand running these distances but I respect the hell out of it. Pretty remarkable whether it’s 2 or 5 hours for the 26.2.
Was never fast and ran a bunch of halfs
When training for a full my knee really ached and got it checked out a couple times .

completed the full and took a break .
Began jogging again - and pain returned
Became so bad it woke me up at night .

Turns out had a stress fracture and mcl tear .

8 weeks no weight bearing and a bunch rehab .

decided that was the end of my running career.

You haven’t had real running fun until you’ve raced on an 11 lap wood board track, with elbows flying, pushing, unexpected springy boards, and ridiculously banked turns.

I grew up racing on a velodrome. Fixed gear, no brakes, exceptionally fast, crashes, punctures, and dangerous.
I grew up with a 20 inch three speed (gear shifter knob) Schwinn with a banana seat that had an alternative lifestyle bar...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT