ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fishing season

USN_Panther

Assistant Coach
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2001
1 October opens the fishing season for trout for most waters in NZ. It's been raining and flooded last week throughout the lower south island. So I changed it up and went out at midnight to fish still water as the rivers are high and muddy.
Was cold but calm and clear with a full moon. A big meteor flashed across the sky too.
I caught three ( one brown two rainbows) and my buddy caught 3 rainbows. We were using lumo doll flies down deep. Decent fish 2.5-3 pounds.
So I'm on the board already this season, and with a few hours sleep and 3 coffees I'm jacked up and ready to watch Pitt.
So let's go!
And BTW, has anyone ever fished for steelhead on the Deschutes? Going to be in Oregon on Monday for a conference. Some days for the conference look better than others lol.

1 October opens the fishing season for trout for most waters in NZ. It's been raining and flooded last week throughout the lower south island. So I changed it up and went out at midnight to fish still water as the rivers are high and muddy.
Was cold but calm and clear with a full moon. A big meteor flashed across the sky too.
I caught three ( one brown two rainbows) and my buddy caught 3 rainbows. We were using lumo doll flies down deep. Decent fish 2.5-3 pounds.
So I'm on the board already this season, and with a few hours sleep and 3 coffees I'm jacked up and ready to watch Pitt.
So let's go!
And BTW, has anyone ever fished for steelhead on the Deschutes? Going to be in Oregon on Monday for a conference. Some days for the conference look better than others lol.
You are one lucky son of a gun. In my dreams (only) am I fly fishing there. Please, Keep reporting on your trip.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Was fulfilling my civil duties of picking up trash at the erie tribs Friday morning. Report: lots of Steel in Trout Run and probably 50 guys on the beach fishing the lake. Saw one guy fighting one but it looked slow. Neither Elk or Walnut have water yet; rode past Walnut and nobody was at the Manchester hole and nobody in the project waters. Just so dry.

sorry for bombing the thread but i figured the local fisherman would be interested.

You are one lucky son of a gun. In my dreams (only) am I fly fishing there. Please, Keep reporting on your trip.
I live in Winton, not far from 5 world class fly fishing rivers. In summer it is light past 10 pm. I can bugger off from work and still fish for a few hours.
The fishing is amazing, but you have to be good if you're catching something in these rivers. Rarely do you accidentally hook up. It's mostly sight fishing in really clear water. You walk a lot, and a bad cast puts them down.
There isn't a mayfly hatch like you get in the states. It's more sporadic. I fish a lot with a dry and a small nymph as a dropper in summer. Otherwise I waste a lot of time changing flies.
But even fishing the nymph (probably more so) a good cast and perfect presentation is required. Sort of like being a D1 QB!

Reactions: moose121
Was fulfilling my civil duties of picking up trash at the erie tribs Friday morning. Report: lots of Steel in Trout Run and probably 50 guys on the beach fishing the lake. Saw one guy fighting one but it looked slow. Neither Elk or Walnut have water yet; rode past Walnut and nobody was at the Manchester hole and nobody in the project waters. Just so dry.

sorry for bombing the thread but i figured the local fisherman would be interested.
I'm always interested. I've never fished for steelhead. Definitely a bucket list activity for me. Might check out what's happening for Deschutes next week and if it's going might hire a guide.

Fly Fishing governs most of my time during the year, I do break away for a few weeks in the fall to try and fling some arrows at some elk CO, deer in OH and PA, and moose if I can get a tag and have the time.

Fly Fishing governs most of my time during the year, I do break away for a few weeks in the fall to try and fling some arrows at some elk CO, deer in OH and PA, and moose if I can get a tag and have the time.
Where do you fish? You don't have to disclose "Spot X". But in general...

Cool to see a lot of Fly Fisherman on this board. PA is a great state for it.
If anyone ends up on the other side of the earth, I can take you out fishing!
Southland is for the purist for sight fishing. The McKenzie hydrocanals are for catching trophy trout. A 10 pound trout is a common occurrence up there. But the waterways are artificial. But with great scenery!

Where do you fish? You don't have to disclose "Spot X". But in general...
I love small waters in northern PA, growing up I spent a lot of time on the 1st fork of the Sinnamahoning and on Kettle Creek and all the feeders. I just love wadeable waters no matter the species. My home "water" is the Little Juniata River and pretty much eveything throughout west central PA.

Due to traveling for work, I have had the opportunity to wet a fly on every continent but Australia and of course Antarctica.

As a whole, I spend damn near every weekend outside expect for Saturday afternoons in the fall.

I love small waters in northern PA, growing up I spent a lot of time on the 1st fork of the Sinnamahoning and on Kettle Creek and all the feeders. I just love wadeable waters no matter the species. My home "water" is the Little Juniata River and pretty much eveything throughout west central PA.

Due to traveling for work, I have had the opportunity to wet a fly on every continent but Australia and of course Antarctica.

As a whole, I spend damn near every weekend outside expect for Saturday afternoons in the fall.
If you ever get down this way, I'm your huckleberry.

Reactions: pafootballguy
Aparima River is my favourite. Then Mataura and Oreti,v with Waikaia running close.
That would be amazing to fish

Did you fish back home before the Navy or didn't get into it till after joining up?

I spent 5 years as a marine after college which allowed me fish in some interesting places

Hunting in Nevada blows. The deer population collapsed due to the ongoing drought. We have about 20 percent of the deer we had 50 years ago, and it’s not from hunting. You have to enter a lottery for every tag and you odds blow. I’ve given up hunting the state because even when you get a tag, finding deer is a tough time for us weekend hunters. These guys with guides and a week off do much better.

Over under... amount of fish caught per hour or the amount of completions Jurkovec throws per half?

Must be great being in NZ for fishing. Heck, I'd skip the fishing and just enjoy the scenery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT