ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For you Property Brothers

TIGER-PAUL

Athletic Director
Jan 14, 2005
more opening up..

https://www.post-gazette.com/busine...-Playhouse-Shirley-Jones/stories/201903220059

There will be no encore for the former Pittsburgh Playhouse in Oakland.

Point Park University is preparing to demolish the three-building complex which during its long history entertained theater goers, helped launch the career of actress Shirley Jones, and served as a training ground for countless young students hoping to make it big one day.

The university will brief the Oakland Planning and Development Corp. on its plans next week.

The complex at 222 Craft Ave. closed last June to make way for Point Park’s new Pittsburgh Playhouse Downtown on Forbes Avenue. That opened at the end of August.

Sharon Eberson
Step back in time with an exploration of the Pittsburgh Playhouse

Point Park acquired the old playhouse in 1968. When it decided seven years ago to launch the campaign to build the new theater on Forbes, “It was understood that the Oakland facility had long outlived its useful life. The buildings were prone to mechanical failures and functionally obsolete,” the university said in a statement.

“University leaders recognized that if the new Pittsburgh Playhouse was going to be built, the Oakland facility would have to be sold, with the proceeds put into the new project. Over the last number of years, it has become obvious the property maintains more value as a clear site. This has been determined through conversations with various parties who have expressed interest purchasing the property.”

Lou Corsaro, Point Park spokesman, said the university has yet to set a target date for the demolition. “Right now, we are just taking it one process at a time,” he said.

What became the Pittsburgh Playhouse debuted as the Pittsburgh Civic Playhouse in 1934. The oldest part of the theater is a former German social club. An adjacent house became the lobby.

The last piece, which became the playhouse’s Rockwell Theatre, was acquired when the Tree of Life synagogue moved to Squirrel Hill in 1952.

Still embedded in the facade, constructed in the style of a Greek Temple, is a cornerstone that reads ‘Erected 5666’ (the Jewish calendar year 1906, when the synagogue was dedicated) and a menorah.

Point Park, Mr. Corsaro said, will “make every effort to secure” both. “If it’s possible, we will return them to Tree of Life,” he said.

Sharon Eberson
It's 'Lights Out' and one final goodbye for the Pittsburgh Playhouse in Oakland

The old playhouse complex is where actress Shirley Jones, who was born in Charleroi and grew up in Smithton, got her start. At one time, theater goers could dine in a swanky restaurant located within the complex before catching a show.

From a real estate standpoint, the old playhouse site is located next to UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital and close to the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University. It’s also situated in one of the tightest office markets in the region.

All of that should bode well in Point Park’s efforts to sell it, said Gerard McLaughlin, executive managing director of the Newmark Knight Frank real estate firm.

“It’s Oakland so I think it will command a lot of interest,” he said.

Mr. McLaughlin sees the potential for office, retail, a hotel, or residential at the site depending on its size.

“If that lot is of size and someone can put an office building there, the land will command a greater value,” he said.

He also believes the site will fetch more cleared of the old playhouse structures than if they were to remain.

Likewise, Dan Adamski, Jones Lang LaSalle managing director, sees “significant interest” in the site, not only from investors but from the universities and the hospitals.

He thinks the best use may be residential because of its location at the entrance to Oakland near two hospitals.

Additionally, “From an office user perspective, a lot of demand is concentrated there since many tech companies want to be within walking distance of the universities; however, there’s very little available office space in downtown Oakland. This site could relieve that pressure,” Mr. Adamski said.

Point Park will present its plans for the demolition at the Oakland Planning and Development Corp.’s first Oakland design development review meetingon Wednesday at 6 p.m. in the Oakland Career Center at 294 Semple St.

Was there exactly once, a number of us had gotten drunk at happy hour, and there was a party at a friend's happening at one of those hideous old rotting apts near Magee hospital, but not until much later... we wanted to kill time in that general area until then. Someone had heard the Playhouse was screening the Beatles movie A Hard Days Night early that evening (i actually think we saw a flyer in legendary Garbage Records on Forbes!). This was the mid 80s, few had access to that movie on VHS (no DVD then of course)...certainly not us nerdy college kids ... and it was well "before our time" when in theaters so none of us had ever seen it, we were Beatles fans, so we went. The crowd was a bunch of aging former ippies and beatniks, and us buzzed college clowns who snuck in cans of cheap brew. It was actually a very fun movie, if you've never seen! Anyway, the place seemed rather old and run down even then. But served its purpose for the evening.

Yeah, the writing has been on the wall for this decision for many years now. As soon as Point Park got serious about building a theater nearer to its downtown campus, and they ended up with one near Market Square, this was fait accompli.

Incidentally, what Point Park has been able to do over the past decade or so to expand its campus is one of the most under-reported stories in Pittsburgh. They have done a spectacular job taking over a large swath of that part of downtown Pittsburgh.

That area of the Boulevard of the Allies was in pretty rough shape for a while and they have cleaned it up and taken it over and they have done a very nice job with it!

I have actually spent a fair amount of time in the old Playhouse and I sincerely loved it! There’s something about it - like so many other classic structures in Oakland, past and present - that is just so historic and cool feeling. However, like many of those structures, it’s time has definitely come and gone.

Personally, I had hoped they would renovate it and sell it to Pitt or Carnegie Mellon (or vice versa). I don’t really see how Carlow could use a theater?

However, it doesn’t sound like anyone has any interest in doing that. Therefore, tearing it down is definitely not the wrong decision.

I would still love to see Pitt secure that land because I do think it is quite valuable. However, I would guess that’s going to go to a private developer for condos or even more likely, an office building.

Last edited:
Had a lot of fun taking my kids to the Children's Playhouse Productions years ago. Nice way to introduce them to theatre, they did a nice job doing classics like Aladdin (pre Disney), Shoemaker and the Elves, and others.

Place was supposed to be haunted. Guess the ghost will be looking for new digs?

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
I was there once: Saw a production of “Bye Bye Birdie” in the early 1960s. The role of “Kim” was being played by a HS classmate. I didn’t have any real impressions of the building, pro or con.

I was there once: Saw a production of “Bye Bye Birdie” in the early 1960s. The role of “Kim” was being played by a HS classmate. I didn’t have any real impressions of the building, pro or con.

What was your impression of “Bye Bye Birdie”?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT