ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Friday Night College Football

Thursday is pretty much done for college football since the NFL moved in and took over. So you aren't going to see many good games then. ESPN is trying to make Friday the new Thursday. Thursday will be filled with MAC, AAC, etc.

I hate this and wish nothing but the very worst on Roger Goodell for destroying this. I loved Thursday Night college football. Loved it.

Friday night football sucks no matter what team is playing because it's not fair to HS football.

Friday = High School football
Saturday = College football
Sunday = Pro (for the most part) football

On top of that, it sucks for ALL COLLEGE COACHES. If a college team is playing away, on a Saturday, it gives that coach a chance to go and see any potential HS recruits in that area on Friday night. Playing on Friday now makes that a non-option.

Like I said: Friday night college sucks for all parties involved.

There's a fallacy here. So College BB shouldn't play on Tuesday nights, because HS basketball plays? Way too much sacredness is given to HS football, like it is some holy event.

Nfl should start playing games on Saturday. Give nbc a chance to bid for some games. I’d love to see that tv ratings battle between college and nfl. I’d be watching college but it would be interesting to see head to head, which would do better.

Pitt and Penn State played on Friday in 1976, 1980, and 1982. The first one was in Pittsburgh. The last two at Penn State. Ironically, in two of those years, 1976 and 1982, the winning Friday team went on to win a National Championship.
Yep. The day after Thanksgiving on National TV when Pitt was actually better than PSU.... but PSU was still a top 10 type team.

There's a fallacy here. So College BB shouldn't play on Tuesday nights, because HS basketball plays? Way too much sacredness is given to HS football, like it is some holy event.
I don't care about it in the least. I had only pointed that out because at the time Pitt had Friday game, the Pgh media, as ordered by their PSU masters, scornfully crucified Pitt for this supposed blasphemy. With the obvious conclusion that high school recruits should spurn Pitt for it. I'm guessing that won't be mentioned now.

Nfl should start playing games on Saturday. Give nbc a chance to bid for some games. I’d love to see that tv ratings battle between college and nfl. I’d be watching college but it would be interesting to see head to head, which would do better.

You really don't know that the NFL would crush the college games in the ratings?

The NFL doesn't and won't play games on Saturday because they don't want to screw with their free feeder system.

You really don't know that the NFL would crush the college games in the ratings?

The NFL doesn't and won't play games on Saturday because they don't want to screw with their free feeder system.
north of the mason Dixon line nfl would win, south if it, college football would. Markets like Charlotte, Atlanta, all of the redneck states would choose college football.

Middle America, aka big 10 country, would choose college. Out west, well who cares about out west, it’s irrelevant.

Have college games on sat-sun and same with nfl, let us choose and let the tv networks bid for the rights. I’d love to see it.

north of the mason Dixon line nfl would win, south if it, college football would. Markets like Charlotte, Atlanta, all of the redneck states would choose college football.

Middle America, aka big 10 country, would choose college. Out west, well who cares about out west, it’s irrelevant.

Have college games on sat-sun and same with nfl, let us choose and let the tv networks bid for the rights. I’d love to see it.

That is just simply, ridiculously wrong.

If it wasn't then why did the NFL starting to play on Thursdays chase nearly all the good college games off of Thursday nights? Those games got very good ratings when they had no NFL competition, and then when the NFL started playing games on Thursdays the college games got crushed. That's why you don't see many top matchups on Thursday night any more. No sense wasting good game inventory in a time slot you know you are going to get clobbered.

When you suck like Illinois, you do what the Big 10 tells you to do. Host a game on a Friday night in Champagne.

They draw 30,000 fans and PSU will have another 8,000 crash the stadium.

It isn’t a true road game for PSU and they will crush Illinois

The PAC 12 has a feature game on Fridays also. It’s all about money
I've got to hear your definition of a "true" road game. Perhaps playing a game in a non-english speaking country, that requires a travel visa, on very short notice...say one week? Your statement above may be the dumbest thing I've ever seen written regarding sports.

I don't care about it in the least. I had only pointed that out because at the time Pitt had Friday game, the Pgh media, as ordered by their PSU masters, scornfully crucified Pitt for this supposed blasphemy. With the obvious conclusion that high school recruits should spurn Pitt for it. I'm guessing that won't be mentioned now.
Oh I totally get what you are saying and I agree. Why isn't the Pittsburgh media (hi Ron Cook) bitching about this game?

Thursday is pretty much done for college football since the NFL moved in and took over. So you aren't going to see many good games then. ESPN is trying to make Friday the new Thursday. Thursday will be filled with MAC, AAC, etc.
Well for sure it is NOT the big night it was when ESPN started Thursday nigh football....
There’s a few good games scheduled on Thursday left this year but Friday is as good if not better.

They put a few decent PAC 12 games on Thursday so they get that 10:30 Eastern START time and avoid at least most of the NFL.

http://www.lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

Last edited:

You state this as if PSU wants to play on Friday night. They absolutely don’t. Franklin has stated very clearly that Friday night is for high school football and the Conference should not play on Friday. This is a greedy money grab by the conference. PSU, and a few other teams in the conference, have told the conference that they refuse to play home games on Friday night. The conference has agreed to their demand but told them they don’t have a choice regarding away games.

If you want to criticize the Big Ten for scheduling games on Friday go right ahead. Just about every PSU fan would agree with you. But claiming that the conference forcing PSU to play an away game on Friday is a sign of hypocrisy on the part of PSU is ridiculous.

You state this as if PSU wants to play on Friday night. They absolutely don’t. Franklin has stated very clearly that Friday night is for high school football and the Conference should not play on Friday. This is a greedy money grab by the conference. PSU, and a few other teams in the conference, have told the conference that they refuse to play home games on Friday night. The conference has agreed to their demand but told them they don’t have a choice regarding away games.

If you want to criticize the Big Ten for scheduling games on Friday go right ahead. Just about every PSU fan would agree with you. But claiming that the conference forcing PSU to play an away game on Friday is a sign of hypocrisy on the part of PSU is ridiculous.
LOL!
They hypocrisy lies with the PedState fans who ragged on Pitt for playing weeknight games but now find themselves in EXACTLY the same position.
I realize your branch campus diploma doesn't allow you to interpret irony, but that's ok.
Now, go get your shinebox!

Reactions: paulbl99

So when Pitt played away games on Fridays because they refuse to play home games on Fridays and because their conference had a television deal that included Friday night games it was a sign that Pitt was small time, but when Penn State plays an away game on Friday because they refuse to play home games on Fridays and because their conference has a television deal that includes Friday night games it's no reflection on Penn State at all. Got it.

Double standards much?

No hypocrisy or double standard at all. It’s crap for a major conference to schedule on a Thursday or Friday night. It was for the the Big East, it is for the ACC and it is for the B1G. Leave those nights for the G5 schools.

It’s a greedy money grab that makes conferences look small time.

No hypocrisy or double standard at all. It’s crap for a major conference to schedule on a Thursday or Friday night. It was for the the Big East, it is for the ACC and it is for the B1G. Leave those nights for the G5 schools.

It’s a greedy money grab that makes conferences look small time.
My God but you're dense.

My God but you're dense.

I think you are. People here are claiming that PSU fans are all for playing Friday night games now that the B1G scheduled us to do it. Bull crap. We hate it, it’s stupid and it makes the conference look small time. Where’s the hypocrisy in that?

I think you are. People here are claiming that PSU fans are all for playing Friday night games now that the B1G scheduled us to do it. Bull crap. We hate it, it’s stupid and it makes the conference look small time. Where’s the hypocrisy in that?
The hypocrisy, D-head, was all your fellow NitWit fans coming over here and busting Pitt's balls for playing weeknight games, saying it was small time, etc. etc.
AND now, you find yourselves in the exact same position.

Pitt fans hated it as well, but had no choice, but that didn't stop idiots from crappy valley coming over here and rubbing it in our faces.

But as always, what goes around comes around.

That's not what people are claiming, dumbass. People are pointing out that when Pitt played games like that the nitter fan base pretty much universally declared that it was a sign of how Pitt was small time even though Pitt doesn't want to play games like that but had to because of conference television deals. But now that Penn State has to do the same thing the same people are saying that it's no reflection on Penn State because they don't want to play games like that but have to because of the conference television deals.

The only thing that is difficult to understand in all this is if you are just trolling or if you really are this dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT