ADVERTISEMENT

OT: FSU vs GT

I loved the result, even if I didn’t watch a second of the game. I’ll root against FSU and Clemson from now on. Hilarious.

I loved the result, even if I didn’t watch a second of the game. I’ll root against FSU and Clemson from now on. Hilarious.
the only two annually ranked teams in our conference? and we wonder why everyone mocks the ACC

the only two annually ranked teams in our conference? and we wonder why everyone mocks the ACC

Everyone mocks the ACC because fans of some of the teams root against other teams in the conference?

Yeah, I guess that's probably true. I mean we all know that Michigan and Penn State fans would never root against Ohio State when they are playing someone else. And Oklahoma fans would never root against Texas, or most of the SEC against Alabama. It's only in the ACC where something like that happens.

:rolleyes:

yes, we should all wring our hands in despair when those same two teams who wish to screw our conference by squirming their way into departing from it get their asses handed to them by another conference foe....said conference foe sort of a Southern mirror image of Pitt..

yes, we should all wring our hands in despair when those same two teams who wish to screw our conference by squirming their way into departing from it get their asses handed to them by another conference foe....said conference foe sort of a Southern mirror image of Pitt..
meh, i wouldnt go that far. but there are people on here who worry about the ACC perception and how little it's thought of.

If you dont care about such things then yeah, i get it. not sure where i fit in. i dont worry about it too much, no wringing my hands in despair. does annoy me that everyone in college football has the ACC in a very Distant 4th in the Power conferences though..

Everyone mocks the ACC because fans of some of the teams root against other teams in the conference?

Yeah, I guess that's probably true. I mean we all know that Michigan and Penn State fans would never root against Ohio State when they are playing someone else. And Oklahoma fans would never root against Texas, or most of the SEC against Alabama. It's only in the ACC where something like that happens.

yeah but the big ten and SEC have about 5-6 teams ranked, multiple teams in the top 10. will probably each have 4 teams in the playoffs this year, a whole different boat than the acc..

Best part of the game for me was the last 3 minutes because I was listening in serious XM and the war chant was just blowing the roof off of my car. It was insanely loud. FSU had just tied the game but the GTech team moved the ball, moved the clock and moved the FSU board of trustees right to the death zone. Seminole defense and perhaps some clock management not up to the task.

What does it say if the highest rated ACC team loses week 1 to an unranked team? We’re screwed
What it says is that in many, many cases pre-season rankings and predictions aren’t worth a 💩. So often done based solely on LAST year’s results (that can be meaningless) with little effort made to investigate the current state of affairs. Lots of LAZY research.

All that matters for 2024 is who is ranked at the end of the season.

Last edited:
yeah but the big ten and SEC have about 5-6 teams ranked, multiple teams in the top 10. will probably each have 4 teams in the playoffs this year, a whole different boat than the acc..

But that has nothing to do with people supposedly mocking the ACC because some fans root against some other team in the conference.

But that has nothing to do with people supposedly mocking the ACC because some fans root against some other team in the conference.
well i think it helps to have a team not named clemson in the top 10 as far as helping the acc. but honestly, you guys are right. who gives a crap about fsu or the acc in general.

im a pitt fan and fsu fans are clowns, the acc has been mediocre for a decade, what's another year. lets just get pitt winning again.. im done worrying about the acc football and hoops perception.

Reactions: Parkview57

Does Michigan or OSU or PSU sue the big10.
There’s your answer.

More conference money allows them to encourage fans to redirect their athletic donations to NIL. So in a way, it kind of is more money they could spend on players (albeit not dollar for dollar).
The talent disparity between FSU and GaTech at this very moment should have been enough to win that game. All the money in the world hasn't bought Texas a championship. Almost like you need someone running the show that knows what they're doing.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
The talent disparity between FSU and GaTech at this very moment should have been enough to win that game. All the money in the world hasn't bought Texas a championship. Almost like you need someone running the show that knows what they're doing.

Norvell gets destroyed, but he took a floundering program and went undefeated a few seasons later. He can't be that bad.

I think they're hurting at a few positions this season - QB and receiver not being the least of which. At least at QB, it's debatable if they would have done better even with much more money. There just didn't seem to be many available.

Norvell gets destroyed, but he took a floundering program and went undefeated a few seasons later. He can't be that bad.

I think they're hurting at a few positions this season - QB and receiver not being the least of which. At least at QB, it's debatable if they would have done better even with much more money. There just didn't seem to be many available.
With the way they recruit and can recruit they should just be reloading. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to recruit that way and win in the ACC, or at least that's what we keep being told. This loss is particularly embarrassing, and I mean no offense at all to GaTech fans, but this is a must win game for a program that has CFP aspirations and loudly claims that the ACC is holding them back.

Reactions: cashisking884
With the way they recruit and can recruit they should just be reloading. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to recruit that way and win in the ACC, or at least that's what we keep being told. This loss is particularly embarrassing, and I mean no offense at all to GaTech fans, but this is a must win game for a program that has CFP aspirations and loudly claims that the ACC is holding them back.

Ten guys drafted is just so many, in my opinion, and I'm sure they had some UDFA signings beyond that. I wouldn't have picked them to win the ACC, honestly. Miami probably should win it based on talent, but we know how that goes. I could see NC State surprising this season.

I assume their argument is that a better conference would lead to more appeal and money for recruiting. In my opinion, that's more than negated by the schedule, but FSU and I can agree to disagree on that one.

fsu's qb just isnt good. he wasnt good at clemson, forgot where he was at after clemson, now he's on school # 3. i admit, i was fooled early in game, thought it was gonna be a blowout and i was wrong.

not sure what people see in him that he is given not only a 2nd but 3rd choice.

Ten guys drafted is just so many, in my opinion, and I'm sure they had some UDFA signings beyond that. I wouldn't have picked them to win the ACC, honestly. Miami probably should win it based on talent, but we know how that goes. I could see NC State surprising this season.

I assume their argument is that a better conference would lead to more appeal and money for recruiting. In my opinion, that's more than negated by the schedule, but FSU and I can agree to disagree on that one.
Miami should always win it based on talent but we know how that goes.

FSU's argument is based more on hubris than anything else. Perhaps it's easier to be disappointing if Arkansas is beating you rather that GaTech. I don't know. Truth is, if they're really worth so much, they should probably have the consistent results to back it up.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan

His HS recruiting isn’t great.

He doesn’t land enough high 4* and 5* guys. And those are the recruits that are legit difference makers.

And he’s really struggled to recruit the OL and DL.

This year he missed in the portal. Those high ranking 92+ college players that he made a living landing every portal cycle, he missed on.

Instead he signed a bunch of average college players, and the only two highly ranked guys in the portal did nothing in college. That were just so young, 247 couldn’t justify dropping them that much from their 5* college ranking.

His HS recruiting isn’t great.

He doesn’t land enough high 4* and 5* guys. And those are the recruits that are legit difference makers.

And he’s really struggled to recruit the OL and DL.

This year he missed in the portal. Those high ranking 92+ college players that he made a living landing every portal cycle, he missed on.

Instead he signed a bunch of average college players, and the only two highly ranked guys in the portal did nothing in college. That were just so young, 247 couldn’t justify dropping them that much from their 5* college ranking.

Oh he definitely doesn't recruit where the fans would like him to. I remember some of them saying after the Georgia game that it was good it happened because they weren't going to win in the playoff without Travis anyway and playing Georgia would be a wakeup call for him as to just how much better their players were and where he'll need to recruit.

I'm talking strictly from a coaching/knowing what he's doing standpoint. He inherited a team that had three consecutive losing seasons. He showed steady improvement and went undefeated in the regular season in year four. That's a good job in my book. Their lofty fan expectations are at least somewhat attributable to his success. If they were still mired in 5-7 seasons, they'd just want a coach who could get them back to being competitive in a lousy ACC.

Reactions: TD_6082
Oh he definitely doesn't recruit where the fans would like him to. I remember some of them saying after the Georgia game that it was good it happened because they weren't going to win in the playoff without Travis anyway and playing Georgia would be a wakeup call for him as to just how much better their players were and where he'll need to recruit.

I'm talking strictly from a coaching/knowing what he's doing standpoint. He inherited a team that had three consecutive losing seasons. He showed steady improvement and went undefeated in the regular season in year four. That's a good job in my book. Their lofty fan expectations are at least somewhat attributable to his success. If they were still mired in 5-7 seasons, they'd just want a coach who could get them back to being competitive in a lousy ACC.

I think that’s fair. Saturday was bad. But by and large he doesn’t really get out coached or not have the team ready to play.

Some of their offensive play calling is a little too mechanical. Not enough RPO. But it’s been a pretty good offense for the most part.

I just think he’s their Dan Mullen.

Mullen took over a team that wasn’t in a good spot. Won 10+ games his first two years. Had them a game away from the playoffs his third year.

But his recruiting never got better even with the on field success. And at some point, if you’re FSU or UF, you shouldn’t be settling for a coach who has a high floor, but non-national title ceiling due to their recruiting.

I’d rather have somebody like in his prime Mack Brown. Who is going to recruit national title level talent, probably underperform with it a lot of years, but also take you to the national title as well. The national title ceiling is worth the risk of the lower floor.

Last edited:
Just a perfect storm of suck for Norvell.

His HS recruiting misses at DL, OL, and LB have been talked about non-stop by FSU people for the last few years. It was just a question of how long could he hide it with the portal. The answer was until 2024.

His portal recruiting always hit because he landed so many elite ranked portal guys, that had that elite ranking due to what they did in college, not high school. Didn’t happen this year.

And the culture has collapsed. That snub may have folded the program. They just don’t seem to care.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT