ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Gregg Berhalter

Real classy move try to drag Berhalter through the mud over a mistake 30 years ago when he is still married to the same woman

Somehow I think Danielle Reyna and Rosalind Berhalter are no longer close friends after this lol

Reactions: Allan McMurray
And there are kids that aren't so great at 8, but at 14 they pass up the kids that where great at 8. Also there will be kids that play outside this system that will end up being better than kids nurtured by it.

What if a kid isn't the greatest athlete but skilled at soccer?

You need to be athletic. My program would be looking to develop USMNT players. If you are skilled at soccer at age 8 but aren't very athletic, you have no chance to make the USMNT. Maybe you can play D2 or D3, I dont know but I would be looking for the best athletes in each area and then teach them soccer.

You need to be athletic. My program would be looking to develop USMNT players. If you are skilled at soccer at age 8 but aren't very athletic, you have no chance to make the USMNT. Maybe you can play D2 or D3, I dont know but I would be looking for the best athletes in each area and then teach them soccer.
Or you can just be strong and run fast and never master soccer skills, which is totally possible. You're absolutely wrong on this, some kids are way more athletic at 14 than they were at 8 for a lot of reasons, but then again you think it's a sure thing that Messi would be a hall of fame second baseman if he had played baseball since age 8, Or LeBron is 100% sure to have been world class in soccer :) :) :)

Or you can just be strong and run fast and never master soccer skills, which is totally possible. You're absolutely wrong on this, some kids are way more athletic at 14 than they were at 8 for a lot of reasons, but then again you think it's a sure thing that Messi would be a hall of fame second baseman if he had played baseball since age 8, Or LeBron is 100% sure to have been world class in soccer :) :) :)

We have gone over this. If you take elite athletes at 7 and 8 and coach them for 10 years, they will be good at soccer. Will they all be elite players? No. But take the best athlete you grew up with. The kid who was the QB of the football team or whatever. If that kid played ONLY soccer his whole life, he would have been very good at it.

We have gone over this. If you take elite athletes at 7 and 8 and coach them for 10 years, they will be good at soccer. Will they all be elite players? No. But take the best athlete you grew up with. The kid who was the QB of the football team or whatever. If that kid played ONLY soccer his whole life, he would have been very good at it.
Maybe, but there's no guarantee they'll be as good at soccer as they were at the sport they played. I was a crappy football player, I played in a summer basketball league with a guy who made the NFL, I easily dominated him, he was stronger, faster, but that was about it, two guys on my team in that league played D1 college football, I averaged like 15ppg, the two of them combined averaged like 4ppg.. The QB of my high school team, sucked at basketball too.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Maybe, but there's no guarantee they'll be as good at soccer as they were at the sport they played. I was a crappy football player, I played in a summer basketball league with a guy who made the NFL, I easily dominated him, he was stronger, faster, but that was about it, two guys on my team in that league played D1 college football, I averaged like 15ppg, the two of them combined averaged like 4ppg.. The QB of my high school team, sucked at basketball too.

Now take the NFL guy and the D1 college guys and have them ONLY play basketball or ONLY play soccer from age 7-8 up. They'd be really good at those sports.

Now take the NFL guy and the D1 college guys and have them ONLY play basketball or ONLY play soccer from age 7-8 up. They'd be really good at those sports.
But I was a crap athlete, I grew up with these guys, in the era where we all played different sports based on the season, so they developed as great football players, but I developed as a better basketball player than them. We all put about the same amount of time into different sports.

This is the lowest form of people
There’s an extra layer to this. There’s so much going on that we just won’t ever know. I was listening to Tony Meola and Eric Wynalda, both are connected as former USMNT players and Eric is good friend with Claudio Reyna. So there’s a lot that he knows that he won’t say on his radio show publicly.

Edit: I hit reply accidentally too soon

Eric mentioned that Berhalters son played MLS at Austin where Reyna is an exec. Austin traded Berhalter to Vancouver and shortly thereafter Berhalter was cut and his career is over.

So there’s some kind of rift between Berhalter and Reyna, who were close friends but aren’t anymore.

US soccer needs to go outside and get a guy so that nepotism is never an issue again. It’s ridiculous.

Reactions: bobfree
It is absolutely amazing. I don’t even know what to say. I understand the issue though. I have certainly lived through a coaching decision that perplexed me. I just looked for a voodoo doll to cause the coach incredible pain. Lol

Sounds like everybody wants a Soviet or East German sports system.

Maybe posting so much online isn’t as healthy as imagined.

For men's soccer. Yes. That's the only way to have a chance to win a World Cup. And what I'm suggesting isnt terribly different than what they do in Europe although its at the individual club level

For men's soccer. Yes. That's the only way to have a chance to win a World Cup. And what I'm suggesting isnt terribly different than what they do in Europe although its at the individual club level
Aren't the MLS clubs starting their own academies now? I thought a lot of the successful USA kids came from those?

Aren't the MLS clubs starting their own academies now? I thought a lot of the successful USA kids came from those?

They've had them for a while but they start at U13. That's too late and the best athletes have already left for football, basketball, and baseball

Eric mentioned that Berhalters son played MLS at Austin where Reyna is an exec. Austin traded Berhalter to Vancouver and shortly thereafter Berhalter was cut and his career is over.

That's not the way that I understand it. What I saw was the Berhalter's son was at Austin on a loan, and at the end of the loan they weren't interested in trading for his rights, so he went to Vancouver.

They've had them for a while but they start at U13. That's too late and the best athletes have already left for football, basketball, and baseball
So, ALL the best athletes, ALL of them leave for those other sports, 100% of them? All of them know for sure they will go pro in something already before age 13? Really? I know several people that I grew up with that made the NFL, really none of the one's I knew where sure things for the NFL even when they graduated from high school. None of THE BEST think soccer is what they do best and they all leave with dreams of the NFL, NBA and MLB, none of the best are among the Americans that go pro in soccer or reach the USMNT now? If these best started at age 7, we would have never heard of Aaronson, Pulisic, Reyna any of them? They'd have been beaten out by LeBron, Mahomes and Lamar Jackson I suppose, 100% for sure?

So, ALL the best athletes, ALL of them leave for those other sports, 100% of them? All of them know for sure they will go pro in something already before age 13? Really? I know several people that I grew up with that made the NFL, really none of the one's I knew where sure things for the NFL even when they graduated from high school. None of THE BEST think soccer is what they do best and they all leave with dreams of the NFL, NBA and MLB, none of the best are among the Americans that go pro in soccer or reach the USMNT now? If these best started at age 7, we would have never heard of Aaronson, Pulisic, Reyna any of them? They'd have been beaten out by LeBron, Mahomes and Lamar Jackson I suppose, 100% for sure?

90%-95%. Not 100% Pretty close to 100% of the best athletes whose parents didnt play college soccer or above leave though. The USMNT draws from a very shallow pool

- sons of former pro players
- sons of immigrants
- European kids with an American military dad and usually a German mom

The problem with the US soccer system is that the foundation is broken, and what I mean by the “foundation” is the youth system.

The better clubs have gotten to be so expensive that soccer at the higher levels has become a rich kids’ sport. Good players from humble financial backgrounds are being eliminated from any opportunity to play at the higher developmental levels.

Personally, I‘m friends with parents whose kids play for a well known club team in Western PA, and the amount of money that they pay for their (talented!) kids to play soccer is equivalent to their having a second mortgage payment. If their club fees weren’t bad enough, their cost to play in their club’s travel schedule - which involves frequent flights and hotel rooms - is outrageous. (Keep in mind that this is for youth, pre-teen soccer.)

Fortunately, my friends can still afford it, but they do feel the pinch. But how many talented players get left behind because their family income can’t afford it - or their parents would rather direct their money into a college fund where they know it would be better used?

As it stands now, a US kid can be a good player by our current standards, but still not get a D-1 scholarship. This blows away any thinking that a player who plays on an elite club team is a lock for that elusive “full ride”.

Case in point: how many roster spots on D-1 teams (especially the better teams) are held by foreign players? This is not a swipe at foreign players, because I think that we all recognize that most of the foreign players are better - proving that their systems do a better job of producing talented players.

The United States will continue to lag behind other countries in soccer until they enact a system that keeps more better players engaged in the sport instead of only the financially privileged, and stop using soccer as a moneymaker and fulltime income source for a select few.

The problem with the US soccer system is that the foundation is broken, and what I mean by the “foundation” is the youth system.

The better clubs have gotten to be so expensive that soccer at the higher levels has become a rich kids’ sport. Good players from humble financial backgrounds are being eliminated from any opportunity to play at the higher developmental levels.

Personally, I‘m friends with parents whose kids play for a well known club team in Western PA, and the amount of money that they pay for their (talented!) kids to play soccer is equivalent to their having a second mortgage payment. If their club fees weren’t bad enough, their cost to play in their club’s travel schedule - which involves frequent flights and hotel rooms - is outrageous. (Keep in mind that this is for youth, pre-teen soccer.)

Fortunately, my friends can still afford it, but they do feel the pinch. But how many talented players get left behind because their family income can’t afford it - or their parents would rather direct their money into a college fund where they know it would be better used?

As it stands now, a US kid can be a good player by our current standards, but still not get a D-1 scholarship. This blows away any thinking that a player who plays on an elite club team is a lock for that elusive “full ride”.

Case in point: how many roster spots on D-1 teams (especially the better teams) are held by foreign players? This is not a swipe at foreign players, because I think that we all recognize that most of the foreign players are better - proving that their systems do a better job of producing talented players.

The United States will continue to lag behind other countries in soccer until they enact a system that keeps more better players engaged in the sport instead of only the financially privileged, and stop using soccer as a moneymaker and fulltime income source for a select few.
Well just like college, you can blame the cost of soccer on the over protective nature of today’s parents. Where being forced to toil away in crap dorm rooms with crap food and services is an obscenity to them, So busting your ass training on your own isn’t allowed. Feeding the ego having their child take flights to tournaments and pay obscene fees is the only thing their little babies should have to accept as the norm.

Well just like college, you can blame the cost of soccer on the over protective nature of today’s parents. Where being forced to toil away in crap dorm rooms with crap food and services is an obscenity to them, So busting your ass training on your own isn’t allowed. Feeding the ego having their child take flights to tournaments and pay obscene fees is the only thing their little babies should have to accept as the norm.
Really, I think it’s more than that. People are being convinced that their 11-year old kid needs to play in a league that encompasses the Eastern half of the US, and not just Western PA. And that’s where all of the travel costs come from. (Heck, we used to bitch when one of our PA-West travel games was in the Erie area!)

Hockey parents are enduring the same thing; we know of the families who put their son in the home of some “host family“ in some Northern city so that they don’t have to travel as much. Maybe soccer will come to this alternative? We know that Christian Pulisic did something similar, but his host family was in Germany when he was 15.

Last edited:
That is just totally untrue. It is impossible to predict an athlete’s future athleticism at that early age. Studies have been done that follow top athletes at age 11. 6-7 years later only 1 of 5 top 5 athletes are still in the top 5.

That is just totally untrue. It is impossible to predict an athlete’s future athleticism at that early age. Studies have been done that follow top athletes at age 11. 6-7 years later only 1 of 5 top 5 athletes are still in the top 5.

I am talking speed, quickness, agility, coordination, muscle movements. I'm pretty sure that guys like LeBron, Kobe, Lamar Jackson, etc would have tested as an elite athlete at 8 years old.

Its gotta be free and US Soccer has to front the cost. Until this happens, the USMNT can never compete. This would create a problem though because this pay for play is not an issue for the girls. Other countries are finally starting to fund girls soccer now so the USWNNT loses occasionally but since there isnt football and baseball for girls (softball isnt widely played), the best female athletes tend to go to soccer and basketball. And its also a cultural thing as most of the best white female athletes choose soccer whereas the majority of the best black female athletes choose basketball. Point is, the US can easily produce a world-class team by charting these suburban soccer mom's tens of thousands of dollars.

Doesn’t that same problem exist for most other youth sports anytime a kid decides to focus on one given sport and move into the elite competition levels and club teams with a lot of travel. That’s certainly the case for baseball and hockey. Maybe not as much for football because aside from camps football is still centered around the local area and HS systems.

It’s gotta be free and US Soccer has to front the cost. Until this happens, the USMNT can never compete. This rwould create a problem though because this pay for play is not an issue for the girls. Other countries are finally starting to fund girls soccer now so the USWNNT loses occasionally but since there isnt football and baseball for girls (softball isnt widely played), the best female athletes tend to go to soccer and basketball. And it’s also a cultural thing as most of the best white female athletes choose soccer whereas the majority of the best black female athletes choose basketball. Point is, the US can easily produce a world-class team by charting these suburban soccer mom's tens of thousands of dollars.
I’d be hesitant - even reluctant - to put USA soccer in charge of anything that big. After all, when was the last time that they did anything right?

Could not have said it better myself. Nice job!!
I’m objective. All sports have their quirks. I defend all of them at times and rip all of them at other times. They’re all great in their own way. I just like to rip people who rip sports and weirdly flex for reasons that show they have no real understanding of what they’re talking about it.

I think it’s easier to project girls at that age. But it’s really difficult for boys.

This is so true. I’ve seen it in basketball, soccer, and wrestling. Kids certainly develop at different periods, so that kid who was ahead of his competitors earlier in life might find himself being quite average later, and visa-versa. Wasn’t it Michael Jordan who got cut from his high school team the first year that he tried-out?

In wrestling it was burnout: kids simply get tired of it + the rough workouts and the “weight losing”, and it’s even tougher when they’re not going to a high school where wrestling’s a part of the popular ”culture”. And in wrestling, a kid might be “good”, but being good usually doesn’t lead to a scholarship, so the motivation might not last.

Besides, kids develop more interests, and some even decide that an after school job ($$$) is more important to him than his sport was.

I am talking speed, quickness, agility, coordination, muscle movements. I'm pretty sure that guys like LeBron, Kobe, Lamar Jackson, etc would have tested as an elite athlete at 8 years old.
Too bad Michael Jordan did not make his high school team and got cut the first year. As far as those athletes mentioned, probably true., but not necessarily.

Another huge issue for US soccer is overemphasized value in college soccer. No other continent values college soccer as a means to go pro. Except when the players can’t cut it in Europe they know to come to the US. When a US born player leaves college at 23, 24, they are already too old compared to how other countries do it.

90%-95%. Not 100% Pretty close to 100% of the best athletes whose parents didnt play college soccer or above leave though. The USMNT draws from a very shallow pool

- sons of former pro players
- sons of immigrants
- European kids with an American military dad and usually a German mom
I think that's how it is in your area, so you think it's like that everywhere. Where I live there isn't some huge exodus to other sports at age 13, a few sure, but nowhere near 90%.

That's how I remember it from experience, there where kids that kicked everyone's ass in 6th grade, who couldn't even make the high school team 4-5 years later and vice versa. Sure, there was that 1 in 5 that was always the stud.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
Totally untrue that it is too late. Most boys are not through puberty yet at that age! Look at Freddy Adu(sp?). He was the greatest soccer player ever at age 14-15 years old. He never got any bette. He went through puberty early and was advanced for his age.

So, in your world LeBron, Kobe and Lamar would have 100% surely beaten out Pulisic, Reyna and Aaronson? There are no other intangibles or anything else? Slam dunk? 100%?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT