ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Hamilton" on Disney+....

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
The film of the show was released today on Disney+ to stream. A bit of censoring but the exact production with the original cast. What a great show. I have never had the pleasure to see it live but we thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to watch it again.

FWIW my oldest saw it in London and said the audience was dying over the King George character and at one point the actor had to hold up on one of lines to let the laughing/clapping die down.

Hot take...

The second act is terrible and it has one of the worst finales I’ve ever seen. In the Heights is far superior.

Hot take...

The second act is terrible and it has one of the worst finales I’ve ever seen. In the Heights is far superior.
Never saw In the Heights so I can't comment. But Hamilton was groundbreaking on so many levels - a successful, mainstream Broadway musical with rap? And an overwhelming minority cast? I loved it.

Reactions: TFBaum and Ski11585
Never saw In the Heights so I can't comment. But Hamilton was groundbreaking on so many levels - a successful, mainstream Broadway musical with rap? And an overwhelming minority cast? I loved it.

If you’re bored, I’d recommend trying it out on Spotify. It’s got a lot of the same themes as Hamilton, as Miranda has a very signature style. Still got hip hop but a few more classically broadway songs. Also a predominately minority cast as it’s set in a Puerto Rican neighborhood in NYC.

Reactions: pitt-girl
If you’re bored, I’d recommend trying it out on Spotify. It’s got a lot of the same themes as Hamilton, as Miranda has a very signature style. Still got hip hop but a few more classically broadway songs. Also a predominately minority cast as it’s set in a Puerto Rican neighborhood in NYC.
Will do - thanks!

Reactions: Ski11585
Am I bad for saying I don't normally enjoy musicals?

I did like Hair, and Rocketman

I think it’s a matter of personal taste. Some are very well done. I haven’t seen Hamilton yet but I loved Greatest Showman. Although watching Wolverine sing and dance is a bit of a reset from Les Mis and takes a minute to get used to.

I recommend Mama Mia to a couple of people to see on Broadway not long after it opened based on reviews. They had a blast and made me wish I had the finances to go. Even if you don’t like ABBA you have to appreciate the way they used the music. The movie wasn’t good but these things usually work better live anyway.

As someone who loves music, musicals bore the ever loving snot out of me.

But sat down with my daughter and watched the first hour last night and it is pd impressive.

Hot take...

I saw both (in Pittsburgh) and enjoyed them tremendously. The second act of Hamilton is excellent, so not sure why you would say it's terrible?

I saw both (in Pittsburgh) and enjoyed them tremendously. The second act of Hamilton is excellent, so not sure why you would say it's terrible?

I just feel like it loses steam after The Reynolds Pamphlet. And I find the finale lackluster. It lacks a powerful gut punch moment that the all time greats usually have.

Well - the first act is so brilliant it’s hard to sustain that level
It’s more emotional though

No disagreements there. First act is great. I just think, for me personally, it lacks that one song that really makes me feel something. I think Burn is intended to be that song, but it doesn't resonate with me the same way Breathe does from In the Heights.

No disagreements there. First act is great. I just think, for me personally, it lacks that one song that really makes me feel something. I think Burn is intended to be that song, but it doesn't resonate with me the same way Breathe does from In the Heights.
It’s quiet uptown made me cry- so , I guess it’s subjective

Reactions: Ski11585
We actually won free tickets via the Hamilton app 3 times :eek:

My wife and daughter went first, opening night in Schenectady, then I took my son to Philly.

About a month later, we hit again and I got to go with my wife.

I didn’t like the second act the first time I saw it, and honestly hated the final song (thought it was too much crammed into a fast ending)

But after seeing it twice, and now watching the movie a couple times, I think I like the second act better than the first. The performances by the original cast are filled with so many moments of pure brilliance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT