ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy Retirement, Phil Coyne!

I hope someone interviews him before he fades out. I can't imagine the stories he has stored up. When my grandma was put in a home, there was a guy there that was over a hundred years old that would wander the halls helping the nurses and generally just liked entertaining the other folks, visitors, etc. He saw me wearing a shirt with an Italian flag on it and he always remembered me after that as I stirred his memories of a an Italian friend of his from his youth. Every time we went in to see grandma he'd see me and remember who I was and he'd stop in and tell stories of helping his friend Pepe against the Mafia and the KKK. The stories were unreal. I hated going there to see the shell of what used to be my grandma but Mr. Sinclair was amazing. He also actually boxed against Art Rooney!

I hope someone interviews him before he fades out. I can't imagine the stories he has stored up. When my grandma was put in a home, there was a guy there that was over a hundred years old that would wander the halls helping the nurses and generally just liked entertaining the other folks, visitors, etc. He saw me wearing a shirt with an Italian flag on it and he always remembered me after that as I stirred his memories of a an Italian friend of his from his youth. Every time we went in to see grandma he'd see me and remember who I was and he'd stop in and tell stories of helping his friend Pepe against the Mafia and the KKK. The stories were unreal. I hated going there to see the shell of what used to be my grandma but Mr. Sinclair was amazing. He also actually boxed against Art Rooney!
He regularly takes the bus from Oakland to spend time with his family in highland park (my neighbors)
As of last summer and fall was still doing yard work- fill dirt, grass , trimming hedges.
Just saw him Easter Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT