ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hockey Playoffs

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
OMG. Imagine if this team played Canada or the USA??

GL4wm5cWQAALBke

I mean 57 goals and 122 shots are horrid. But the goalie only had a save% of slightly above 50%. He could lay on the ice and achieve that.
What level is this? Looks like the U16 development league?
I ask because there are two players from the Thailand U18 team spending a couple months near here on a school exchange. (Two brothers).
They come play the adult drop in games in Gore. They're pretty good players. Not US or Canada national team level of course, but would be high school level players around Pittsburgh.
I hit one of them in the face with my goalie stick. He tried the Michigan in drop in. No penalty as I played the puck with the paddle and the blade happened to hit him "accidentally". That and there are no refs in Gore for drop-in, or for most adult games.
He had a facecage on so didn't spit chicklets. He was unhappy with it, but you know what they say....FAAFO.

I never understood why you cant go and teach some Sumo Wrestler how to skate and then stick him in goal.
Our regional team is doing goalie sumo at intermission for one of the games this year. Three teams of two goalies in the centre ice circle. Once completely out of the circle you are done. Team with the last man standing wins. No other rules.

What level is this? Looks like the U16 development league?

Apparently it was in the U18 Asian and Oceania Championship, played in Uzbekistan.

It was Kuwait's first game ever at the U18 level.

Other opening day of the tournament scores, Uzbekistan beat Iran 19-0 and Mongolia beat India 32-0.

That sounds like one heck of a tournament.

Link!

Apparently it was in the U18 Asian and Oceania Championship, played in Uzbekistan.

Other opening day of the tournament scores, Uzbekistan beat Iran 19-0 and Mongolia beat India 32-0.

Link!
These tournaments are usually held for teams that have not qualified for the lower level IIHF championship tournaments. They used to do U16 ones too. So some of these countries are just starting up national programs, or entering age-grade teams for the first time.

A friend of mine went to an IIHF development camp (was for both coaching and youth player development) in Uzbekistan. She is a national team coach for the NZ U-18 women's team. She told me that the players were basically quarantined in their hotel rooms the entire time. They went to and from the rink, and otherwise could not go outside the hotel. Coaches were allowed out, but the women coaches were all followed around by military security everywhere they went.

I just think that is completely insane. What a waste of what could be a great life experience for the young players. No idea why a country like that is hosting a camp like that.

My son has played some international ice hockey for NZ, and we always saw it as something in addition to hockey. A chance to go to new places and learn something about other countries and cultures.

Link!

Sometimes I wonder about the true level of those teams. Like could a high quality 4th grade team beat Kuwait U18? You see this in other sports as well. Could Seneca Valley HS beat Mongolia in soccer?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT