ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How bout FAMU getting snubbed in FCS playoffs

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
9-2. Only losses to UNC and undefeated Jackson State. Jackson State opts to play in the Celebration Bowl instead of the FCS playoffs so you'd think a SWAC team who hasn't lost to anyone besides a Top 20 FBS team and an unbeaten FCS team would be a good unofficial replacement.

BTW, if I'm a lower tier FBS bowl game, I'd offer Jackson State a bid. They play the Celebration Bowl on Dec 17. How interesting would Jackson State make a Birmingham Bowl vs lets say Duke? That would be the only non-Pitt bowl that I'd make sure I'd watch

I follow FCS football somewhat close. IMO, FAMU being left out is a huge snub. FAMU did lose to Jackson State pretty bad, but I do think they deserved to make it. Any 9-2 team should be in.

I know the NCAA wants to make money so they give home games in the FCS playoffs to teams with bigger stadiums and good attendance, but I don't like how they determine who gets the home games (is this going to be an issue when FBS goes to 12 playoff teams?). I don't think it's fair to St. Francis, who had a great season at 9-2, to have to play an away game at Delaware, a team that totally backed into the playoffs (and arguably should not have gotten in over FAMU). St. Francis has won 9 straight, and one of their 2 losses was in OT to FBS Akron and Shockey Jacques-Louis. Was the champs of their conference. Give them a home game up in Loretto.

I follow FCS football somewhat close. IMO, FAMU being left out is a huge snub. FAMU did lose to Jackson State pretty bad, but I do think they deserved to make it. Any 9-2 team should be in.

I know the NCAA wants to make money so they give home games in the FCS playoffs to teams with bigger stadiums and good attendance, but I don't like how they determine who gets the home games (is this going to be an issue when FBS goes to 12 playoff teams?). I don't think it's fair to St. Francis, who had a great season at 9-2, to have to play an away game at Delaware, a team that totally backed into the playoffs (and arguably should not have gotten in over FAMU). St. Francis has won 9 straight, and one of their 2 losses was in OT to FBS Akron and Shockey Jacques-Louis. Was the champs of their conference. Give them a home game up in Loretto.

I didn't realize you had to buy your home games. 30K for 1st Round, 40K for 2nd, etc. Deion mentioned that he didn't think Jackson State could afford that or to keep traveling for away games. However, they have been drawing huge crowds at home so I think that's more/less an excuse. I think his goal is to create a great HBCU program and become a dominant program. He doesn't need to go play in North Dakota to validate anything. An FCS Championship doesn't do anything for him.

As for St. Francis, the NEC is like the weakest conference. My guess is Delaware wins that easily. Has an NEC team ever hosted? Also, could they afford to pay the 30K?

9-2. Only losses to UNC and undefeated Jackson State. Jackson State opts to play in the Celebration Bowl instead of the FCS playoffs so you'd think a SWAC team who hasn't lost to anyone besides a Top 20 FBS team and an unbeaten FCS team would be a good unofficial replacement.

BTW, if I'm a lower tier FBS bowl game, I'd offer Jackson State a bid. They play the Celebration Bowl on Dec 17. How interesting would Jackson State make a Birmingham Bowl vs lets say Duke? That would be the only non-Pitt bowl that I'd make sure I'd watch
Shingles doesn't care...

FAMU has got it a bit rough having to share Tallahassee with FSU. It’s not a big city and only so much support to go around. They are traditionally one of the best HBCU programs as far as support goes. They have a proposal out there to build a flashy new stadium but I have no idea how much likelihood that has. Their stadium is pretty decrepit but they have a nice new basketball arena.

That is really too bad. Probably some CAA teams with 7-4 records got bids?
CAA got 5 teams in -- Richmond (8-3), Elon (8-3), William & Mary (10-1), New Hampshire (8-3), and Delaware (7-4). Although 7-4, Delaware does have a win over FBS Navy, who hung with ND and beat UCF, so that had to help the Delaware resume. Still think FAMU should have been in over them, and still don't think Delaware is worthy of the home game in the matchup with St. Francis.

Reactions: Panthers2015
What’s SFU’s home field again? (Wasn’t it called the Palm Bowl at one point?) Maybe the home venue, ability to sell tickets, traditional program, has something to do with Delaware getting the home game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT