ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How much were Taylor Swift tickets through Ticketmaster?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The cheapest upper deck ticket on Stubhub is $1000. I wished I bought 10 of the day it went live. What could that have cost $200 each? Could have made a nice chunk of change. Wow did they underprice this tour. No wonder it crashed. This has to be the highest grossing tour in American history, right? And besides Super Bowls, these 50 or so Taylor Swift concerts have to rank up there with every other sporting event in history in terms of secondary market price/demand. Just totally unreal.

You would have zero chance to buy 10 tickets. The shows sell out almost instantaneously, in no small part due to resellers, bots and other scumbags scraping the sites to buy up blocks of tickets. They know some idiot parent will pay up because their kid just has to go to the show.

Probably but it sold out instantly because they priced it far too low. Resellers knew the demand better than Live Nation so they bought up a ton of tickets. If they priced uppers at 750, even 500, resellers wouldn't have taken the risk.

Is the tour tomorrow? No? Then the current secondary market prices mean absolutely nothing.

You couldn't have bought that many tickets, because there is a hard cap on what you're allowed to purchase and they will void and nullify your entire order if you you exceed it.

And I'm pretty sure she used dynamic pricing, which is about as grimy as it gets. I doubt she left too much money on the table. People are so incredibly stupid that they panic and pay those prices, only to feel like bozos once the dust settles.

Edit: Here is an article I found on it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kx...-on-taylor-swift-to-stop-dynamic-pricing/amp/

Reactions: Drew1208
I got tickets for Springsteen’s second show in Barcelona when they went on sale months ago. Face price was 250€ per and I paid 350€ each for 2.

I started thinking about also going to see the first show on April 28. It’s the first show of his European tour and it’s two weeks after the prior concert in Newark, so I thought they should be rested. Started looking three weeks ago. Tickets in similar locations were 850€ to 1200€. Hard pass.

Saturday, he missed an awards ceremony in New Jersey because, it was announced, he and his wife both have COVID. Other members of the band have contracted it during the tour and missed concerts; 3 dates have had to be rescheduled because too many band members were sick with it.

I went on the site where I had been looking for tickets and there wasn’t really any movement in prices. But, it’s the weekend and I suspect there will be some downward movement during the week as people planning to resell tickets worry about not being able to get rid of them if the concert is cancelled. Two weeks usually is enough time to recover, but you never know. And, his wife has missed every concert on the tour after the first 5. So, she might have a serious complication which could cause him to cancel just to stay with her.

I’m mostly concerned with their health, of course, but also hoping they will be fully recovered in time to perform in Barcelona.

The April show will be my 50th live Springsteen show, but last since seeing him live in Barcelona in 2002. My first was at Constitution Hall in DC in March 1975 before “Born To Run” was released. The majority of the subsequent ones have been in Los Angeles. On 3 of his tours he has done 6 to 8 dates in LA and I saw 18 of those shows (all with free tickets). I also went to Santa Barbara and San Diego to see him during those tours; two of my favorite places for short vacations, and combining that with an E Street Band show was a no-brainer.

I’m old enough and have been a fan long enough to have seen him in smaller venues before he started playing large ones. I’ve seen him in Los Angeles at The Forum, the LA Sports Arena and the LA Coliseum, but also at The Roxy in 1975. I went to see him at The Winterland in San Francisco in 1978 with Boz Scaggs when we were doing his divorce case there. And, I saw him at the Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh in December 1978 when I was back for Christmas Vacation.

I’m also lucky enough that with all of my connections in the music industry I haven’t had to pay for tickets since “The River Tour” in 1980, except for the 2002 show in Barcelona and this one. At the prices they are charging now for top concerts, it wouldn’t be easy to pay for a lot of concerts by big name acts. And, all of the artists’ managers, business managers, booking agents, etc. that I used to get tickets through are now retired or dead.

At least she is doing 3 plus hour 40 plus song sets each night in the humid heat and giving fans at least a good experience hopefully. Bruce has a solid set, but would have liked more changes each night given his history. But he is 70 plus years now.

At least she is doing 3 plus hour 40 plus song sets each night in the humid heat and giving fans at least a good experience hopefully. Bruce has a solid set, but would have liked more changes each night given his history. But he is 70 plus years now.

Yeah, I picked up tickets to the Cleveland show for Bruce. Then I ended up going to Penn State, so I sold my Cleveland tickers because the setlists are so static.

I've come to realize that what I want from a Springsteen show and what 95% of the crowd wants are completely different. I love hearing the deeper cuts, and I'd pay top dollar for a show full of outtakes. Born to Run, Thunder Road, Badlands, The Rising, etc. are great, but when you've followed him for as long as I have they start to get stale. I totally get it, though - most fans aren't hardcore fans, and if I was going to see someone like Billy Joel or something, I would want the hits.

But I loved how the setlists changed so much that I could go see multiple shows on each tour and they would be completely different. Like there were years when I would hit five shows on a tour and probably see at least 100 different songs played, which you don't see with too many artists.

But I think his stint on Broadway changed his thinking a bit and he really wanted to put "a show" together this time. Everything was well-rehearsed, each band member (including the extended band members) was highlighted in a different segment, and there was minimal audience interaction. The theme was basically mortality, about a dozen songs kind of spooling things together with his history and the band's history (Last Man Standing into Backstreets was the highlight of the show, in my opinion). I mean, that is what it is, but I really hope things open up in Europe and then it becomes a free-for-all on that Fall US leg. I've got tickets to both Pittsburgh shows, but I'd like to hit up a few more. I think the final song count tally was 52 for this leg, which checks out with some other "first leg of the tour" counts he's had in the past, but it didn't feel like 52 because so many were only played once or twice, as opposed to being rotating slots. Plus I'm spoiled. I think the song count on the first leg of the 2014 tour was damn near 200, and that was only like two months I think.

My wife is a huge Taylor Swift fan. We had access to the presale that was supposed to start at 10 am. Between Ticketmaster crashing and all of the other chaos we finally were able to get tickets at like 3 PM that day.

The cheapest upper deck ticket on Stubhub is $1000. I wished I bought 10 of the day it went live. What could that have cost $200 each? Could have made a nice chunk of change. Wow did they underprice this tour. No wonder it crashed. This has to be the highest grossing tour in American history, right? And besides Super Bowls, these 50 or so Taylor Swift concerts have to rank up there with every other sporting event in history in terms of secondary market price/demand. Just totally unreal.
I have to ask, why would someone pay to go inside a stadium and sit in the upper deck to watch a person sing??? You are so far away you really wouldn't get a chance to see the singer, dancers, band, etc... . I know people do it all the time, in fact I know people who are going to that concert.
If you are really into the singer (in this case Taylor Swift) and want to hear her music live, just go to the stadium and sit on the grass outside the stadium. Sure you won't be able to see her, but the folks in the upper deck really won;t be able to see her as well and you'll be ahead a thousand dollars.

Reactions: Ray-Ray
I have to ask, why would someone pay to go inside a stadium and sit in the upper deck to watch a person sing??? You are so far away you really wouldn't get a chance to see the singer, dancers, band, etc... . I know people do it all the time, in fact I know people who are going to that concert.
If you are really into the singer (in this case Taylor Swift) and want to hear her music live, just go to the stadium and sit on the grass outside the stadium. Sure you won't be able to see her, but the folks in the upper deck really won;t be able to see her as well and you'll be ahead a thousand dollars.
If they have the screen in the NW corner turned on, you'll have a pretty good view from outside the stadium. I saw a good number of people did this in Tampa.

I always find it funny when people say they are "so far away" from the stage at arena show, because the farthest seat in an arena is still closer than probably 75% of the seats in a stadium.

I've only been to a few concerts in a stadium, and I was near the stage so it didn't really matter. But I looked back at the people in the 500 level, and it was a pretty good distance. Not far enough that you couldn't have fun, but far enough to not pay a whole lot of money to be in the building.

But I loved how the setlists changed so much that I could go see multiple shows on each tour and they would be completely different. Like there were years when I would hit five shows on a tour and probably see at least 100 different songs played, which you don't see with too many artists.
In 1980, when he did “The River” tour, I saw 4 shows in LA, one in Santa Barbara and one in San Diego. He was doing 3.5 hour to 4.25 hour shows then and his catalog wasn’t nearly as big as it is now. (47 songs on 5 albums, including “The River” which was a double album.) To fill out the show, he did a number of covers each night. And, they weren’t just throwaways either. He opened each LA show with a cover that was a big production number. On Halloween night he opened with “House of the Rising Sun.” Clarence Clemons came out in all red, dressed as Dracula. All the band members wore costumes and Bruce was carried onto the stage in a coffin. The whole stage was covered with multicolor smoke. Another night, he opened with “Jailhouse Rock” with the band all dressed in prison stripes. They built a set which looked a little like “Hollywood Squares” except with prison bars. A third night was “C.C. Rider” with everyone dressed like bikers and half of them driving motorcycles onto the stage. Including Bruce. They had built a ramp around the stage so they could drive the cycles around. Another night was the first time I think he did the “La Bamba/Twist and Shout” duo that he still does.

Even though you heard pretty much the same songs every night, they all were relatively new. I loved every show. None felt repetitive.

I have looked at all of the set lists which are published for every concert, and they are pretty repetitive, especially the encores. But, for me I wouldn’t want to go to a show where he didn’t do “Thunder Road” and “Born To Run” so I’m glad those have been in every encore. “Tenth Avenue Freezeout” also has been in every encore because that’s the song he uses to introduce the band.

There are at least a dozen other songs I never get tired of because he might repeat the song but he varies the performance. Look at “Thunder Road” from “Live in Barcelona” which I was lucky enough to attend. It was in an arena which seats 16,000 for concerts, but is very compact and feels compressed. He almost does the first two-thirds of the song as a solo with him and his harmonica, and the audience singing every word along with him. Then, look at “Thunder Road” from Hyde Park in London, a huge outdoor venue. Almost a different song.

I would feel cheated if he doesn’t do both of them in Barcelona. Along with “The River” and “Glory Days” they speak more meaningfully to my teenage years in Pittsburgh than almost any other songs. I know every word of all 4, and love singing along to them. I truly hope he does all 4 of them.

So if you buy tickets from Ticketmaster on their resale platform for $1000, and the show cancels, you can't get the whole amount refunded?

This thread makes me glad I don’t go to concerts
I go to concerts, alot of them.... just not these kind.
Big Artists have really failed their fans but the fans are just taking it so they sort of deserve it

I go to concerts, alot of them.... just not these kind.
Big Artists have really failed their fans but the fans are just taking it so they sort of deserve it

As long as the fans are willing to pay, why shouldn't the big artists charge whatever the market will bare? If people will pay $500 for a Taylor Swift ticket, why shouldn't that money go to Taylor Swift rather than a scalper who bought the ticket for $100 in the first place?

As long as the fans are willing to pay, why shouldn't the big artists charge whatever the market will bare? If people will pay $500 for a Taylor Swift ticket, why shouldn't that money go to Taylor Swift rather than a scalper who bought the ticket for $100 in the first place?
I could write a book about that.
If that's what what you want as an artist that's fine.
As a human with principles I personally find alot of it to be disgusting.
I'd much rather talk to you in person about this than try to text my million thoughts on it.

Right. They priced this tour WAY too low. Resellers are probably retiring off of it.

The thing about these ticket prices is that live shows are now most bands' main vehicle for income. I personally don't get how fans are still paying $500 to see the Rolling Stones put on the same show they've been putting on for the last 30 years, but I guess it's supply and demand at work. It does suck that it weeds out a lot of the people who may be bigger fans but simply can't afford to attend. I think Pearl Jam does something to combat that, whereby they offer discounts to members of their fan club and they get the first crack at tickets (may not be that exactly, but I think it's pretty close).

But in fairness, the fans decided long ago that they're not going to pay for the albums. I pay a monthly Spotify subscription and that's it. I think it might be 12 bucks, give or take. In the past, I'd have been buying at least five CDs per month at $10 - $15 per, so I think most of us our still coming out ahead with music.

Bought 2 on the field for $1750 as a gift on the release date via ticketmaster. They could sell the same 2 tickets for $9000 today.

And there's no way in hell they would sell them lol.

You dont watch the news I guess?

I was online trying like hell to get any ticket at any venue and fly my daughter anywhere to see her. The site crashed, you couldnt get tickets, there was like a million user line. It was madness

The thing about these ticket prices is that live shows are now most bands' main vehicle for income.

That is exactly it. Bands used to tour to promote and sell records. They weren't really trying to make a bunch of money off the tour, they wanted to make the money selling records. Today, pretty much no one makes money selling records. The only way for most bands to make any money is to tour like crazy, and price their tickets accordingly.

There are multiple bands/artists who are currently doing things like sales to fan club members first to try to ensure that their biggest fans can buy tickets at whatever passes for a reasonable price. But at some level, if you are going to sell tickets to the general public, and everyone wants to sell tickets to the general public, if you are a popular act you have two choices. Either make the ticket prices high, so that most of the money goes to the band. Or make the prices low, which makes them attractive to scalpers, so that most of the money goes to people other than the band.

Reactions: USN_Panther
That is exactly it. Bands used to tour to promote and sell records. They weren't really trying to make a bunch of money off the tour, they wanted to make the money selling records. Today, pretty much no one makes money selling records. The only way for most bands to make any money is to tour like crazy, and price their tickets accordingly.

There are multiple bands/artists who are currently doing things like sales to fan club members first to try to ensure that their biggest fans can buy tickets at whatever passes for a reasonable price. But at some level, if you are going to sell tickets to the general public, and everyone wants to sell tickets to the general public, if you are a popular act you have two choices. Either make the ticket prices high, so that most of the money goes to the band. Or make the prices low, which makes them attractive to scalpers, so that most of the money goes to people other than the band.
When regulation is eliminated (allowing ticket resale) the market truly sets the pricing.

Yeah, it's the same reason why music videos (i.e. advertisements for the new album) all but cease to exist anymore and probably part of the reason why so many established acts are content just touring behind their greatest hits, trying to appeal to as many casual fans as possible, rather than structuring a tour around their latest album. Some of them aren't even releasing new music (which, in some cases, I realize is more attributable to their creativity having evaporated).

In October, I went to see an artist who released five albums, including one in 2022. He played around 20 songs, and all but like four were off his first two albums. He played one song off the new album.

The industry really sucks right now. Since I'm a Bruce fan, I know the he was involved in a legal dispute and really didn't start making money until he released The River in 1980. His next album, Nebraska, was a depressing, demo-quality album that absolutely nobody expected at the time, blah blah. It's looked back upon as being brilliant. If it were today, there is a 0% chance he would have ever released that album. It just wouldn't have been a financially viable move. It's all about the generic lyrics and mass appeal so that you can sell as many tickets as possible nowadays. The industry is so much worse for it, in my opinion. Not saying there are no good artists, but it's tough to find them. And you'll probably never see another music video like the great ones of the 80's and 90's.

Yeah, it's the same reason why music videos (i.e. advertisements for the new album) all but cease to exist anymore and probably part of the reason why so many established acts are content just touring behind their greatest hits, trying to appeal to as many casual fans as possible, rather than structuring a tour around their latest album. Some of them aren't even releasing new music (which, in some cases, I realize is more attributable to their creativity having evaporated).

In October, I went to see an artist who released five albums, including one in 2022. He played around 20 songs, and all but like four were off his first two albums. He played one song off the new album.

The industry really sucks right now. Since I'm a Bruce fan, I know the he was involved in a legal dispute and really didn't start making money until he released The River in 1980. His next album, Nebraska, was a depressing, demo-quality album that absolutely nobody expected at the time, blah blah. It's looked back upon as being brilliant. If it were today, there is a 0% chance he would have ever released that album. It just wouldn't have been a financially viable move. It's all about the generic lyrics and mass appeal so that you can sell as many tickets as possible nowadays. The industry is so much worse for it, in my opinion. Not saying there are no good artists, but it's tough to find them. And you'll probably never see another music video like the great ones of the 80's and 90's.

Spending on music videos used to be so ridiculous though. I heard someone discussing the new Metallica album the other day, and apparently they have made videos for all the songs on the album. I haven't seen them, and surely some number of them are just essentially "performance" videos, but the person was positing that Metallica spent less money combined making a video for every song on their album than many artists back in the 80s spent to make a video for just one song. It was nothing back then for a big band to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to make just one video.

Which, I guess if that got them a ton of airplay on MTV back when MTV actually played music, was probably worth it.

Spending on music videos used to be so ridiculous though. I heard someone discussing the new Metallica album the other day, and apparently they have made videos for all the songs on the album. I haven't seen them, and surely some number of them are just essentially "performance" videos, but the person was positing that Metallica spent less money combined making a video for every song on their album than many artists back in the 80s spent to make a video for just one song. It was nothing back then for a big band to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to make just one video.

Which, I guess if that got them a ton of airplay on MTV back when MTV actually played music, was probably worth it.
Music videos serve a different purpose now. They are more for social media and driving views, which is another way of monetising content. And also promoting ticket sales.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

I have to imagine the ROI on some of them was through the roof. Money for Nothing, for instance. And then with things like TRL... no matter how much those things cost to make, the dividends were much greater. Beyond that, it was just such an art attached to an art. I know they worked, because I could never listen to a song like November Rain without the video vividly playing in my mind.

But yeah... most of what I see now are essentially lyrics videos - some with the band playing in the backgrounds, others with just a blank screen or something thereabouts. Kind of feels like what happened with special effects in movies, where you would think they'd have kept getting better but they actually maxed out some time ago and were succeeded by a much cheaper alternative.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Yeah, I picked up tickets to the Cleveland show for Bruce. Then I ended up going to Penn State, so I sold my Cleveland tickers because the setlists are so static.

I've come to realize that what I want from a Springsteen show and what 95% of the crowd wants are completely different. I love hearing the deeper cuts, and I'd pay top dollar for a show full of outtakes. Born to Run, Thunder Road, Badlands, The Rising, etc. are great, but when you've followed him for as long as I have they start to get stale. I totally get it, though - most fans aren't hardcore fans, and if I was going to see someone like Billy Joel or something, I would want the hits.

But I think his stint on Broadway changed his thinking a bit and he really wanted to put "a show" together this time. Everything was well-rehearsed, each band member (including the extended band members) was highlighted in a different segment, and there was minimal audience interaction. The theme was basically mortality, about a dozen songs kind of spooling things together with his history and the band's history (Last Man Standing into Backstreets was the highlight of the show, in my opinion). I mean, that is what it is, but I really hope things open up in Europe and then it becomes a free-for-all on that Fall US leg. I've got tickets to both Pittsburgh shows, but I'd like to hit up a few more. I think the final song count tally was 52 for this leg, which checks out with some other "first leg of the tour" counts he's had in the past, but it didn't feel like 52 because so many were only played once or twice, as opposed to being rotating slots. Plus I'm spoiled. I think the song count on the first leg of the 2014 tour was damn near 200, and that was only like two months I think.

You must have loved the Tunnel of Love tour, lol. Still kicking myself for missing that one.

I'm still debating whether trying to get tickets on the after-market for any of the upcoming shows. Like so many other artists, Springsteen is now a juke-box. And while Born to Run is fun live, I agree it is getting a little stale.

I've heard some tracks from this tour on Sirius XM and they sounded pretty good, so I may end up going if I can score tickets at a not insane price.

Taylor is the new Springsteen, the real deal. I rarely go to concerts now but am looking forward to this one.

In 1980, when he did “The River” tour, I saw 4 shows in LA, one in Santa Barbara and one in San Diego. He was doing 3.5 hour to 4.25 hour shows then and his catalog wasn’t nearly as big as it is now. (47 songs on 5 albums, including “The River” which was a double album.) To fill out the show, he did a number of covers each night. And, they weren’t just throwaways either. He opened each LA show with a cover that was a big production number. On Halloween night he opened with “House of the Rising Sun.” Clarence Clemons came out in all red, dressed as Dracula. All the band members wore costumes and Bruce was carried onto the stage in a coffin. The whole stage was covered with multicolor smoke. Another night, he opened with “Jailhouse Rock” with the band all dressed in prison stripes. They built a set which looked a little like “Hollywood Squares” except with prison bars. A third night was “C.C. Rider” with everyone dressed like bikers and half of them driving motorcycles onto the stage. Including Bruce. They had built a ramp around the stage so they could drive the cycles around. Another night was the first time I think he did the “La Bamba/Twist and Shout” duo that he still does.

Even though you heard pretty much the same songs every night, they all were relatively new. I loved every show. None felt repetitive.

I have looked at all of the set lists which are published for every concert, and they are pretty repetitive, especially the encores. But, for me I wouldn’t want to go to a show where he didn’t do “Thunder Road” and “Born To Run” so I’m glad those have been in every encore. “Tenth Avenue Freezeout” also has been in every encore because that’s the song he uses to introduce the band.

There are at least a dozen other songs I never get tired of because he might repeat the song but he varies the performance. Look at “Thunder Road” from “Live in Barcelona” which I was lucky enough to attend. It was in an arena which seats 16,000 for concerts, but is very compact and feels compressed. He almost does the first two-thirds of the song as a solo with him and his harmonica, and the audience singing every word along with him. Then, look at “Thunder Road” from Hyde Park in London, a huge outdoor venue. Almost a different song.

I would feel cheated if he doesn’t do both of them in Barcelona. Along with “The River” and “Glory Days” they speak more meaningfully to my teenage years in Pittsburgh than almost any other songs. I know every word of all 4, and love singing along to them. I truly hope he does all 4 of them.
I saw him at the Civic Arena during that tour and he played so long that the arena turned all the lights on and he played for 45 minutes after that. I think it was some fire code that at a certain time, all lights come on.

I took my daughter to see Taylor Swift a few years back at Nationals Stadium in DC. I’ll admit she put on a good show and usually brings out a pretty famous special guest to her shows.

One thing that impressed me: In the middle of the concert one of the smaller stages she was on got stuck high above where it was supposed to be and it wouldn’t come down. It was cool seeing her continue to entertain the crowd as she adjusted her set and worked with the crew to fix the problem. She was a legit pro.

The cheapest tickets on Stubhub for the June 16 show are $1805 for section 509. June 17 is much cheaper. Only $1576. I am so mad I didnt try to buy these tickets. The cost people are willing to pay to see her boggles my mind.

Who is Taylor Swift?
A pleasant but bland young woman that won the lottery of the chosen icon of young girls/women this past decade. Nothing great nor terrible about her, she’s one of hundreds of thousands of young girls of similar decent but unspectacular ability during the auto tune/The Voice era.

She could literally be anyone. But basically through random circumstances she became the IT girl. There always has to be one. Young girls want to be her, and young boys want to fornicate with those young girls, so they tolerate her. As for these shows and crazy ticket prices, similar to parents are unable to say No to their kids (think Cabbage Patch kids, Tickle Me Elmo etc), and obtaining those tickets are a Status thing of sorts for wealthy suburban parents now. And others no so wealthy, well, credit card companies can’t actually go after defaulters anymore, so they will “pay.” Thus the prices soar. Ain’t that America, something to see baby…

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT