ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ICYMI - Restaurant opening on 10th floor of The Oaklander Hotel

Should be interesting, but not sure if that restaurant concept will work all that well for location in the city and city in general.

Should be interesting, but not sure if that restaurant concept will work all that well for location in the city and city in general.
I think this place will be just like any other lobby level, higher end restaurant. Its biggest impediment is not being on the ground level (harder for walk-ins), but it's main goal is for those staying in the hotel, anyone they meet with and other casual business patrons/visitors who need a nicer place to have a cocktail and meal in Oakland.

The more prime location is on the ground floor. Not sure, but it could have been leased out already.

Steak frites will be made with Jubilee Hilltop Ranch grass-fed beef and paired with a lemon shallot compote.
A Nicoise salad is tweaked to include beets and an anchovy breadcrumb.
The classic salmon tartare will be accompanied by a rich and creamy oyster aioli.
(I did not know oysters had nipples)
Vadouvan shrimp, a French curry with prawns and langostinos.

but the $64,000 question, can you get a fried egg on any of it?

Last edited:
thank goodness for elevators.

what difference does ground floor or 10th floor make? they will market the view of the 10th floor.

I bet it does just fine, just as the Porch has been doing well too. With all of the new apartments being built in Oakland, more professionals will be living there and will want a place like this to go to. Also Squirrel Hill isn't far either.

I think this place will be just like any other lobby level, higher end restaurant. Its biggest impediment is not being on the ground level (harder for walk-ins), but it's main goal is for those staying in the hotel, anyone they meet with and other casual business patrons/visitors who need a nicer place to have a cocktail and meal in Oakland.

The more prime location is on the ground floor. Not sure, but it could have been leased out already.

thank goodness for elevators.
what difference does ground floor or 10th floor make? they will market the view of the 10th floor.

I bet it does just fine, just as the Porch has been doing well too. With all of the new apartments being built in Oakland, more professionals will be living there and will want a place like this to go to. Also Squirrel Hill isn't far either.

It's difficult for a restaurant to succeed when it's on any floor but the ground level.
Of course the exceptions are the various big city landmark restaurants but those are exceptions.

Only a few tables benefit from the view those near the windows. The remainder of the patrons, the bulk of the restaurant, without window seats end up looking at the people who have window seats with a view. So using the view as a marketing tool isn't as effective as one might think.

First timers like to look at a restaurant, maybe peek in the window, walk inside and look around to see if has an atmosphere they might like. Alot of restaurant business especially first time business comes from walk-ins who visually identify with the restaurant or bar.

Restaurants use their first floor window space to advertise the place and get their message out with window designs.
The restaurant hopes for the "Hey this place looks like fun " reaction.
Most restaurants publish their menu in the window or on the door, advertise their specialty, and drinks that are available.
Others with entertainment do the same.
It's really hard to notice the restaurant or any of this advertising when it's ten stories off the ground.

In addition to regulars a big money maker for restaurants is the bar traffic especially walk-in bar traffic.
A lot of people like to make a quick stop at the bar, have a few drinks, maybe something to eat with drinks, and get out quickly. Getting to a 10th floor bar isn't on the top of the list for most people.

10th floor restaurant patrons have to wait for an elevator, ride the elevator, get off the elevator, to enter the restaurant to dine, have a quick drink or two or to take a look at the place.
Some people simply don't like elevators or the extra time it takes to deal with them.

I do a lot of advertising for restaurants and most restaurant owners and investors look for first floor locations. That's why first floor locations are more expensive. They increase the probability of success in a very competitive business where line of sight advertising is very effective and important.

"save a horse ride a cowboy"
Signed: Mrs Buffett
Go CSU Rams & PITT Panthers!

Last edited:
Reactions: gary2
i'm not discounting your experience, but to me, this seems your scenario is for a restaurant located in a strip of other restaurants that needs to set itself apart. i agree, if they are wanting to do a bulk of their business on walk up traffic, then first floor would be ideal. this is an isolated location without nearby shopping or entertainment, so i see this as a destination restaurant, thus meaning if there is an elevator ride from the lobby or parking area, than so be it.

If i know where i'll be before a show/concert/movie, i will determine where we are eating ahead of time based on menu and price point. My wife and i ate at Scratch Food & Beverage on Saturday in Troy Hill and it full the entire time. I would assume 95% of their business consists of destination diners and not depending on walk by traffic in Troy Hill.

It's difficult for a restaurant to succeed when it's on any floor but the ground level.
Of course the exceptions are the various big city landmark restaurants but those are exceptions.

Only a few tables benefit from the view those near the windows. The remainder of the patrons, the bulk of the restaurant, without window seats end up looking at the people who have window seats with a view. So using the view as a marketing tool isn't as effective as one might think.

First timers like to look at a restaurant, maybe peek in the window, walk inside and look around to see if has an atmosphere they might like. Alot of restaurant business especially first time business comes from walk-ins who visually identify with the restaurant or bar.

Restaurants use their first floor window space to advertise the place and get their message out with window designs.
The restaurant hopes for the "Hey this place looks like fun " reaction.
Most restaurants publish their menu in the window or on the door, advertise their specialty, and drinks that are available.
Others with entertainment do the same.
It's really hard to notice the restaurant or any of this advertising when it's ten stories off the ground.

A big money maker for restaurants is the bar traffic especially walk-in bar traffic.
A lot of people like to make a quick stop at the bar, have a few drinks, maybe something to eat with drinks, and get out quickly. Getting to a 10th floor bar isn't on the top of the list for most people.

10th floor restaurant patrons have to wait for an elevator, ride the elevator, get off the elevator, to enter the restaurant to dine, have a quick drink or two or to take a look at the place.
Some people simply don't like elevators or the extra time it takes to deal with them.

I do a lot of advertising for restaurants and most restaurant owners and investors look for first floor locations. That's why first floor locations are more expensive. They increase the probability of success in a very competitive business where line of sight advertising is very effective and important.

Go CSU Rams & PITT Panthers!

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
i'm not discounting your experience, but to me, this seems your scenario is for a restaurant located in a strip of other restaurants that needs to set itself apart. i agree, if they are wanting to do a bulk of their business on walk up traffic, then first floor would be ideal. this is an isolated location without nearby shopping or entertainment, so i see this as a destination restaurant, thus meaning if there is an elevator ride from the lobby or parking area, than so be it.

If i know where i'll be before a show/concert/movie, i will determine where we are eating ahead of time based on menu and price point. My wife and i ate at Scratch Food & Beverage on Saturday in Troy Hill and it full the entire time. I would assume 95% of their business consists of destination diners and not depending on walk by traffic in Troy Hill.

You're correct about the destination diners, and regulars at the tables or bar. I added - In addition to regulars- to a line in my post.

I was highlighting how powerful a ground floor location is for bars and restaurants providing streetside visibility.
A good example are the Northshore bar and restaurant locations during the football season. Lots of people make purchase decisions based on streetside visibility. There might be a better place five floors up but it's not in line of sight.

Regulars are very important and so are new walk in new and bar transient traffic who have the potential to become destination or regulars.

The most effective advertising for bars and restaurants is word of mouth.

Go CSU Rams & PITT Panthers

I agree, and there are plenty of rooftop hotel restaurants. The view is probably going to orgasmic for Pitt people up on that floor and it is more of a destination place. There isn't much competition for its niche in Oakland.

Along those lines, the view from the University Club Terrace is spectacular. That would be an awesome location if the UC knew better how to run and promote it. I mean, really, it is by far the best place in Oakland, view wise, to eat or get a drink for Pitt people.

Rooftop-Terrace.jpg
UClubroofColPitt.JPG
weddings-at-PITT-University-Club_0017.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, and there are plenty of rooftop hotel restaurants. The view is probably going to orgasmic for Pitt people up on that floor and it is more of a destination place. There isn't much competition for its niche in Oakland.

Along those lines, the view from the University Club Terrace is spectacular. That would be an awesome location if the UC knew better how to run and promote it. I mean, really, it is by far the best place in Oakland, view wise, to eat or get a drink for Pitt people.

Rooftop-Terrace.jpg
UClubroofColPitt.JPG
So agree Crazy Paco. We have been to 2 different events there (one being my parents 60th!) and the view is incredible. I made sure to hire a professional photographer. I can 100% recommend their catering and planners. It was lovely and they were a pleasure to work with.

I will point out the wedding we were at had a cocktail hour there but then shut it down. It was summer time and I was hoping to go up there with a cocktail to look at all the lights. Disappointed that it was locked up.

So agree Crazy Paco. We have been to 2 different events there (one being my parents 60th!) and the view is incredible. I made sure to hire a professional photographer. I can 100% recommend their catering and planners. It was lovely and they were a pleasure to work with.

I will point out the wedding we were at had a cocktail hour there but then shut it down. It was summer time and I was hoping to go up there with a cocktail to look at all the lights. Disappointed that it was locked up.

That is what I'm talking about. It is run very strangely. Alumns would love to go up there for drinks if it was open normal hours. It could do a killer business if it was actually run like a normal business.

That is what I'm talking about. It is run very strangely. Alumns would love to go up there for drinks if it was open normal hours. It could do a killer business if it was actually run like a normal business.
Maybe baby steps? The rehab is lovely. Probably not in their business plan to open it for "general" business. My issue is that the parents spent a good deal of $$ there for the wedding - why not leave that open? Liability?

Maybe baby steps? The rehab is lovely. Probably not in their business plan to open it for "general" business. My issue is that the parents spent a good deal of $$ there for the wedding - why not leave that open? Liability?

Well it was originally supposed to be UC members only. And it was really overpriced so it was failing. Faculty aren't high end people. That didn't work, so they tried opening up to the general public, but they ran it with weird hours and, really, it is still overpriced. They really need to just contract it out to a restaurant group that knows what the hell it is doing. Generally it is just such a waste of an absolutely gorgeous space.

Last edited:
Reactions: pitt-girl
i agree, if they are wanting to do a bulk of their business on walk up traffic, then first floor would be ideal. this is an isolated location without nearby shopping or entertainment, so i see this as a destination restaurant, thus meaning if there is an elevator ride from the lobby or parking area, than so be it.

Agreed. Who is casually walking around Oakland looking for a $70 dinner? I'll be checking it out in a couple weeks.

Rooftop-Terrace.jpg
UClubroofColPitt.JPG
Now those are some awesome pictures. Never saw anything like those.

Love your handle. I'm there every Wed. playing trivia with my son and his crew.

Do you guys really go to Oakland unless it's for a sporting event? Doing anything in Oakland is such a hastle that I try to avoid it at all costs. Parking sucks, traffic and one way streets suck, walking around there is a pain. I don't see anything about the place that makes me want to go there.

Curious if you guys do go there, and if so, for what? Maybe there's something worth it for me to go there for. An overpriced stuffy restaurant is not one of them.

Do you guys really go to Oakland unless it's for a sporting event? Doing anything in Oakland is such a hastle that I try to avoid it at all costs. Parking sucks, traffic and one way streets suck, walking around there is a pain. I don't see anything about the place that makes me want to go there.

Curious if you guys do go there, and if so, for what? Maybe there's something worth it for me to go there for. An overpriced stuffy restaurant is not one of them.
Concerts at the Pete.

Steak frites will be made with Jubilee Hilltop Ranch grass-fed beef and paired with a lemon shallot compote.
A Nicoise salad is tweaked to include beets and an anchovy breadcrumb.
The classic salmon tartare will be accompanied by a rich and creamy oyster aioli.
(I did not know oysters had nipples)
Vadouvan shrimp, a French curry with prawns and langostinos.

but the $64,000 question, can you get a fried egg on any of it?
....or - at the very least - top it with some fries and coleslaw?

Dude, what are you? A walking recruitment meme for Penn State?? Oakland is cool! Manhattan is cool. Don't give in to old age so willingly...

Dude, what are you? A walking recruitment meme for Penn State?? Oakland is cool! Manhattan is cool. Don't give in to old age so willingly...

Ok, well what do you do when you go to Oakland? What is "cool" about it? What makes you think I like Happy Valley?

I was asking a serious question, because as an adult, I don't see it as a place where there is much for me to do down there.

They probably don't want the UC to be super successful. That way the Chancellor can schedule a private event whenever he wants.

Ok, well what do you do when you go to Oakland? What is "cool" about it? What makes you think I like Happy Valley?

I was asking a serious question, because as an adult, I don't see it as a place where there is much for me to do down there.

Let's see, the city's major art and natural history museums are in Oakland, Phipps is in Oakland, Schenley Park is in Oakland, the Nationality Rooms and Heinz Chapel are in Oakland, Pitt's and CMU's theatre arts perform in Oakland, the best ice cream in Western PA is in Oakland. Things are held all the time at Soldiers & Sailors as well. I love taking people to Oakland to show it off. There are tons of things to do there without stepping foot in the Pete. You can easily spend a whole day there without any sports events, and the food scene has been improving but its always had a handful of decent ethnic eateries.

Carnegie nature science and art museums , Phipps, cathedral nationality rooms, and Heinz chapel.

For food-Butter joint , legume , fuel and fuddle, Pamela’s union grill, the porch at schenely.

Brah, did you even Oakland??

I take my 6 year old into Oakland regularly for activities.

are you 80 years old and/or mobility challenged? You could spend a day in Schenley park hiking, frisbee golf, swimming, golfing. As Paco mentioned the Phipps, Museums. St. Paul's Cathedral compares well with great churches of Europe.

Seriously, you are a very good poster but this wasn't one of your better takes.

Carnegie nature science and art museums , Phipps, cathedral nationality rooms, and Heinz chapel.

For food-Butter joint , legume , fuel and fuddle, Pamela’s union grill, the porch at schenely.

Brah, did you even Oakland??

I take my 6 year old into Oakland regularly for activities.
Don't forget Lucca. Really nice place to have dinner on their porch in warmer months. Great food too.

Let's see, the city's major art and natural history museums are in Oakland, Phipps is in Oakland, Schenley Park is in Oakland, the Nationality Rooms and Heinz Chapel are in Oakland, Pitt's and CMU's theatre arts perform in Oakland, the best ice cream in Western PA is in Oakland. Things are held all the time at Soldiers & Sailors as well. I love taking people to Oakland to show it off. There are tons of things to do there without stepping foot in the Pete. You can easily spend a whole day there without any sports events, and the food scene has been improving but its always had a handful of decent ethnic eateries.

This !
I can't wait to have a picnic on Flagstaff, play catch with our son and finish the day at Phipps..

None of what any of you mentioned seems interesting to me. Guess that's why I don't go to Oakland and turned down Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT