ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Raising Cane's

I don’t get the fascination. I was excited about the franchise but it’s just blah. I was in the Oakland one the day it opened. I wasn’t impressed, so then waited for the south Fayette one to open to see if they just caught me on the wrong day…and well they didn’t. It’s totally overrated. If anyone is in south Fayette or Oakland, just order your chick fingers from Primanti that’s a stones throw away. It’s cheaper and not much different. And that’s saying something because Primanti Bros food isn’t exactly good either.
I don’t get it either. I’ll take ChikFila over Canes any day.

We have Publix markets here. Like an upscale Giant Eagle. Chicken tenders and wings are delicious.
No Canes or Chic Fil A on HHI. ZAXBY’s closed.
They make a chicken tender hoagie that is very tasty.
I still liked a Primante’s xtra meat Pastrami on rye with a dill pickle. Never disappointed me…..
Last one we got was for the 2019 Super Bowl in Greensburg before we moved south.
Things might have changed.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
We have Publix markets here. Like an upscale Giant Eagle. Chicken tenders and wings are delicious.
I still liked a Primante’s xtra meat Pastrami on rye with a dill pickle. Never disappointed me…..
Last one we got was for the 2019 Super Bowl in Greensburg before we moved south.
I was going to post the same thing about Publix a while back in this thread but never did. Whenever the wife or I are hungry for some good chicken tenders, Chic Fil A, Raising Cane or others never enter the discussion, it’s hands down a quick trip to a nearby Publix supermarket, of which there is one on every block down here in Sarasota. Life won’t be the same when we head back North for the summer next week.

Reactions: Pitt1975
Loved Publix. Man, they also made great MTO hoagies that were much better than say the Jersey Subs or places like that.

Reactions: OH Pete
I have not, but gas station chicken can be surprisingly good. We have Royal Farms here in MD and it’s solid. No idea how Coen compares. But speaking of Coen - anyone remember Cogo’s? Not sure how long they’ve been gone by now but I’ve noticed in the times I’ve come back to Pittsburgh they seem to be in spots where Cogo’s used to be.
Weird. I was just telling my wife that Coen is known for their fried chicken but I don’t remember where I heard it.

I was going to post the same thing about Publix a while back in this thread but never did. Whenever the wife or I are hungry for some good chicken tenders, Chic Fil A, Raising Cane or others never enter the discussion, it’s hands down a quick trip to a nearby Publix supermarket, of which there is one on every block down here in Sarasota. Life won’t be the same when we head back North for the summer next week.
Brings up another discussion…Publix or Harris Teeter? Both are good. I’ll always be anti giant eagle.

Publix. Not even close. HT is Kroger with a prettier skirt.
Not a bad choice.
Hilton Head is 15 miles. I live at the 8 mile marker.
I can ride my bike to Kroger, Fresh-markets, and Whole Foods.
There are 2 Publix, 2 HT, and a Piggly Wiggly.
No shortage of places to buy food.
Buy the fancy stuff at Publix….can get canned tomato’s anywhere. Generally Kroger for fuel perks..

Brings up another discussion…Publix or Harris Teeter? Both are good. I’ll always be anti giant eagle.
Can’t comment on Harris Teeter, haven’t been in them enough since they’re not down here in Sarasota. Publix literally has the market down here and that appears to be their strategy as they put them in everywhere so close to each other to keep most everyone else out. Publix is hands down the best compared to what other little competition they have (Winn Dixie) aside from one small local chain with a good bakery and produce section. Big knock on Publix is price but you get past that for most staples by just shopping their BOGOs, which they have several each week.

Do Giant Eagle among others up in Ohio. I’ll give the edge to Publix.

Weird. I was just telling my wife that Coen is known for their fried chicken but I don’t remember where I heard it.
Many of their stores have a "Our famous chicken" sign on the store; so you may have heard someone repeating that their chicken is famous. I don't know that it is anything more than a self-proclaimed thing. I haven't had it to date, but it looks pretty ordinary in this picture.

OIP.pRmAdlDKUHJcWSx4t4Y3cwAAAA

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Loved Publix. Man, they also made great MTO hoagies that were much better than say the Jersey Subs or places like that.
Was just going to post that. Good stuff. Was just in Florida. Not everyday was a beach day due to baseball and some work commitments. But on the beach days, I'd get sandwiches and pack them in a cooler with my favorite beverages and take them down to the beach. Better than Sheetz and (I know a firestorm is going to happen), better than WaWa. I do agree - even better than Jersey Mike's, which has gone down hill fast as they grow, IMO.

Was just going to post that. Good stuff. Was just in Florida. Not everyday was a beach day due to baseball and some work commitments. But on the beach days, I'd get sandwiches and pack them in a cooler with my favorite beverages and take them down to the beach. Better than Sheetz and (I know a firestorm is going to happen), better than WaWa. I do agree - even better than Jersey Mike's, which has gone down hill fast as they grow, IMO.
Sheetz uses garbage meats and cheeses. I want to side with them on the whole Wawa vs Sheetz (east PA vs west PA) debate…but I can’t. Sheetz food just isn’t good at all. Then if you were to compare their Italian to Publix, which uses Boars Head meats and cheeses…it’s night and day different. And that doesn’t even include the bread which is another discussion in itself. I think Harris Teeter uses Boars Head too, and if they don’t they use something comparable.

Sheetz uses garbage meats and cheeses. I want to side with them on the whole Wawa vs Sheetz (east PA vs west PA) debate…but I can’t. Sheetz food just isn’t good at all. Then if you were to compare their Italian to Publix, which uses Boars Head meats and cheeses…it’s night and day different. And that doesn’t even include the bread which is another discussion in itself. I think Harris Teeter uses Boars Head too, and if they don’t they use something comparable.
I'll say it. Sheetz food sucks and I have eaten maybe 3 times. I would seriously rather go to McDonald's. WaWa has a good reputation.

Reactions: jtownknowitall
The Coen tenders are good. And pricey. 14.99 for 5,around 25 bucks for 10.
They are pretty big though.
We liked the Coen Chicken breasts and were disappointed when we went in a while back and found out they no longer sold chicken on the bone.

Sheetz hot dogs are 2 for $1 and they arent bad. How can you beat that?

I'd agree Coen tenders are pretty good. Had to eat them a couple times in a pinch. Much better than Sheetz or WaWa for that one product.

At Sheetz, pretty much only the fried things are good (chix sandwhich, tots, mozz stix, pickles, etc.)....and it's not really hard to make fried food taste good. The deli meats, burgers, etc have low quality ingredients. Locally, GetGo has much better subs.

On the other side of the state, WaWa probably has better subs than Sheetz too, but not as good as GetGo, However, WaWa gets an advantage for having pre-made hot foods right at the registers. If I'm on a road trip and need a quick snack and fill-up, I don't really care that the chicken tenders or wings have been under a heat lamp for a while - they are junk food regardless - I just like the convenience of grab and go and get back on the road. Sheetz will cost you 30 minutes waitng for MTO.

No way those are hot dogs!! I wish they were good but you get what you pay for. It might be the worst hot dog I’ve ever tasted. I’m afraid to know what’s in it. The times I’ve gotten them I’ve had to load them up with so many condiments and toppings just to drown out the taste of the hot dog.

Last edited:
I mean, even the good ones are notorious for having all kinds of weird $hit in them. But the Sheetz ones? Beyond scary.

Btw…baseball game stadium dogs are still the best.

I will stop in and get a sandwich at Sheetz on occasion (there's one really close to me, so it's a convenience thing), but I am reasonably sure that I have never bought a hot dog at Sheetz.

And have never even had the desire to do so.

Sheetz is rancid. Getgo has way better food and coffee and there's usually a Getgo not far from any given Sheetz location, at least in PA.

The Borough of Pleasant Hills released the following alert:

"Please be aware that there will be heavier than normal traffic in the area of Rt. 51 North and South in Pleasant Hills due to the grand opening of Raising Canes starting tomorrow, Tuesday May 7, 2024. This traffic is expected to last for at least a week during operational hours of Raising Canes Restaurant."

What an amazing country we live in where the grand opening of a fast food restaurants has cities putting out public alerts. This Raising Cane's is directly across the street from a Chik Fil A. I dont know how Pleasant Hills will survive this.

Raising Cane's is pretty cool though. The one in Oakland has the vibe of a non-chain campus restaurant with some cool Pitt stuff on the walls. Some Pitt stuff (and no PSU stuff) in the South Fayette one as well.
Raising cane’s is fire

As Colonel Henry Blake once told Dr. Frank Burns . "You're always wrong Frank . That's what's so right about you" ...

My favorite was when Col. Potter was reading klingers file why he should be discharged.

After reading a bunch of either someone was dying or someone was pregnant Col. Potter said “ ahh my favorite half the family dying the other half pregnant”

You said that before. I love hot dogs. I just went to sheetz around the corner the other day, Coke bag of chips 2 dogs 7 something. I think the dogs are a buck a piece. The goddamn chips we used to pay .99 are 2.69 now crazy. But for a quick lunch hard to beat that. The Wendy’s biggie bag is 5.30 though Jr bacon cheeseburger fries drink and 4 nuggets. McDonald’s is coming out with a 5 dollar meal as well now. Look it’s all garbage but for the sake of convenience we have to sometimes eat it.

Will be interested to see what other deals come out. These restaurant's are pricing themselves out of the market. Sales are going down…

My favorite was when Col. Potter was reading klingers file why he should be discharged.

After reading a bunch of either someone was dying or someone was pregnant Col. Potter said “ ahh my favorite half the family dying the other half pregnant”
That was actually Henry Blake. Henry Blake was absolutely the single greatest character in SitCom history.

Reactions: mike 301
No way those are hot dogs!! I wish they were good but you get what you pay for. It might be the worst hot dog I’ve ever tasted. I’m afraid to know what’s in it. The times I’ve gotten them I’ve had to load them up with so many condiments and toppings just to drown out the taste of the hot dog.
It's a Sugardale hot dog. Low quality but 2 for $1, including a bun, it's a good deal.

That's what I do. Get chili and cheese on them. They're actually pretty good that way. Of course, I don't eat them more than a couple of times per year. I'm sure if I ate them on a regular basis, I'd find them pretty nauseating. Sheetz used to be really good. But like just about everywhere else, cost controls ruined the quality.

That's what I do. Get chili and cheese on them. They're actually pretty good that way. Of course, I don't eat them more than a couple of times per year. I'm sure if I ate them on a regular basis, I'd find them pretty nauseating. Sheetz used to be really good. But like just about everywhere else, cost controls ruined the quality.
That will cost you an extra $1 per dog.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT