ADVERTISEMENT

OT: IMO a very bad trend is starting

RaleighPittFan

Assistant Coach
May 12, 2005
Rutgers', yes, that Rutgers, starting QB and running back bailed on the season by asking for a redshirt within the four games played rule.

Sports used to be a way to teach working through adversity; playing for your team mates; pride; any number of things this trend is ignoring.

I half expect to have parents of pee wee players asking for a do over next season, if the team Jr. is on doesn't do well the first few games of the season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...k-to-redshirt-with-season-spiraling-downward/

Reactions: TheChair
Houston’s QB is doing this as well and might transfer out of the program when it’s all said and done.

I agree.

Contrast this with Jalen Hurts, who could have done something similar last year, instead stuck it out for his team and made a huge impact later. He sacrificed a year for his teammates, was always the first guy to congratulate Tua and kept his head in the game.

It is no wonder he could walk into another program and immediately command the locker room.

I do not have a problem with kids heading to better situations when not getting the playing time, but if you are a starter, it is hard to justify essentially quitting on your team in the middle of the season. Would you want to play with that guy? I would not.

These kids are doing this in situations that are not emotionally charged like with Kelly Bryant. That, I can understand some.

But just leaving when you are the undisputed starter or getting the big bulk of plays? Did not understand it in basketball with Khem Birch and especially do not get it in football.

College sports is a business. Good for the players for doing what’s best for them.
I'm glad you posted that, because I don't think that is best for the guys at Rutgers. There are life lessons to be learned through sports, and they both failed. What happens when they get in the 'real world' after football, and don't know how to fight through adversity?

College sports is a business. Good for the players for doing what’s best for them.
Yeah, but there is just an incredible amount of selfishness going on in the world of sports. All of this "brand building", you are supposed to be playing team sports, if you want individual glory on your own, try tennis or golf?

That being said, seeing the stupefying $$'s these coaches get and their ability to renege on a contract at a moment's notice, well you reap what you sow. So..........about that selfishness...................it starts at the top.

I tend to agree with the school of thought that says you don’t quit on your teammates once the season starts. I may ask the coach to consider me for the 4 game rule if it doesn’t impair his plans for the season, but quitting on my team isn’t in my DNA.

I'm glad you posted that, because I don't think that is best for the guys at Rutgers. There are life lessons to be learned through sports, and they both failed. What happens when they get in the 'real world' after football, and don't know how to fight through adversity?
They take a different job
Just like everyone else who decides they don’t like their job

ya know
Like how real life works?

It’s a job. They’ll take a new one like everyone in the working world does.

It starts in youth programs when parents shop around to get their kids in the best programs, cheat on addresses, say the kids live with relatives in the district.

It continues in HS when those same parents move kids around so they have the best sports program in the area for a kid. Again they may lie about an address, say the kid lives with relatives in the district, rent an apartment, or pay the district fee to move the kid in.

There was a kid in our area who played football in one HS district one of the best in the area and played baseball in another district again one of the best in the area all in hope of a college scholarship in one sport or the other.
His parents claimed he switched districts for academic reasons.

I semi understand the Rutgers argument due to them firing the coach mid season... but the Houstin ordeal, was simply... okay we are losing I dont want to try anymore this season amd just hope we start off better next year. I wouldn't even let that Houston QB have the job next year, either get out or your scout team.

It’s a job. They’ll take a new one like everyone in the working world does.
College sports isn't a job.
They're not employees of the college or University.
They don't get paid.
They have no job description.
They have no employment contract.
They're students first and athletes second.
They get a free college education.
They call them student athletes.
Employees are compensated/paid.
The University eats the cost of offering the sport they play and they have a chance to go Pro.
If student athletes get compensated / paid for playing a sport by the U today they lose their eligibility according to the NCAA.

Last edited:
Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
College sports isn't a job.
They're not employees of the college or University.
They don't get paid.
They have no job description.
They have no employment contract.
They're students first and athletes second.
They get a free college education.
They call them student athletes.
Employees are compensated/paid.
The University eats the cost of offering the sport they play and they have a chance to go Pro.
If student athletes get compensated / paid for playing a sport by the U today they lose their eligibility according to the NCAA.

That’s naive.

Yeah, but there is just an incredible amount of selfishness going on in the world of sports. All of this "brand building", you are supposed to be playing team sports, if you want individual glory on your own, try tennis or golf?

That being said, seeing the stupefying $$'s these coaches get and their ability to renege on a contract at a moment's notice, well you reap what you sow. So..........about that selfishness...................it starts at the top.
Selfish self-centeredness is at the root of ALL our problems; everywhere in humanity. It’s driven by 100 forms is fear, self-seeking, self pity and self delusion. Decisions made solely on self are doomed to fail in the end. That’s what this 50 year old man has learned so far.

You misspelled INCORRECT, Ski..

He doesn’t have a clue
Ask him if he figured out the difference between NCAA revenue and college sports revenue. Because as we all know, those two are one and the same...lol

I just wonder how many very good players in years past never got the chance to play because of a better player in front of them or because a poor coach could not judge talent.

Every time they meet adversity?

Quit a job to find another one?

Fun Fact: Every job has adversity, or there wouldn't be a pay check involved.

These two better get used to adversity, there isn’t an nfl paycheck coming in their future.

That’s naive.
Sports at PITT and most /80% of the 130 D1 programs aren't a business they lose money.
Most businesses don't lose money or if they're lucky break even.
Sports at PITT and most/80% of the 130 D1 programs provide the student athlete a free education for their future.
2% of student athletes go on to the Pro leagues.

After last night’s 33-30 win over Duke, Coach Narduzzi is now 16-14 in one-score games.

To put that in perspective, the last four Pitt coaches’ one-score game records looked like this:

Chryst: 4-10
Graham: 2-4
Wannstedt: 12-16
Harris: 17-22

Pitt has been historically bad in close games. SB Nation did an article on it in 2015. In fact, Narduzzi is the first Pitt coach to have a winning record in this situation since Jackie Sherrill, who was 13-2-1 (Foge Fazio was 9-9-3).

What’s different about Narduzzi than the last however many coaches is the fact that, more times than not, he’s about to pull off victories in tight games. Hopefully him and his cardiac kids can keep it up!

Rutgers', yes, that Rutgers, starting QB and running back bailed on the season by asking for a redshirt within the four games played rule.

Sports used to be a way to teach working through adversity; playing for your team mates; pride; any number of things this trend is ignoring.

I half expect to have parents of pee wee players asking for a do over next season, if the team Jr. is on doesn't do well the first few games of the season.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...k-to-redshirt-with-season-spiraling-downward/

Love it, love it, love it. I think Aaron Matthews should have redshirted after the UCF game and learned TE.

And if I was an employer , looking to hire a candidate that meets all requirements.....but bailed on his team to look out for his own self interest,

I would hire someone else.

Life works that way too, by the way.
You’ve never hired someone who left their current job to join your organization ?
Interesting -
Guess you don’t value experience and want to teach everybody

I agree with this, 100%. These sports make tens of millions for the University, for which the players themselves get jack shit. You think they're there to sit in a History class? No. They're there to make the school money, and it's insane to let coaches walk and for schools to sell jerseys with their numbers on it while at the same time telling kids that they're soft for demanding even 25% of the same flexibility.

Reactions: Ski11585

That is ridiculous. How much adversity and hard work do you think it takes to get to D1 in the first place? Do you think they just showed up on campus one day, and said hey, I want to play football?

Reactions: h2p_5150
Sports at PITT and most /80% of the 130 D1 programs aren't a business they lose money.
Most businesses don't lose money or if they're lucky break even.
Sports at PITT and most/80% of the 130 D1 programs provide the student athlete a free education for their future.
2% of student athletes go on to the Pro leagues.

Citing anything other the D1 football in the context of discussing leverage that D1 football players have is as irrelevant as it gets.

Reactions: Ski11585
You’ve never hired someone who left their current job to join your organization ?
Interesting -

Nah, Souf, you don't get it - every person on here is a paragon of virtue and hard work, fought for everything they have, uphill both ways and all of that bullshit. These millennials with their rap music and their Twitter - they're the ones who are wrong. How dare they try to make a better situation for themselves when administrators making seven figures make decisions which adversely and definitively affect their future?

Hardly,

My statement stands

So, let me ask you, because I'm curious. Let's say you work for Company X, and inside Company X, you work for Department Y. The CEO who makes 50x what you make decides that Department Y is going to remain in operations but be de-prioritized. That decision was completely out of your control, and now the financial security and upward mobility of your life and career have changed dramatically.

If you look for another job, are you not a team player? And if I were the hiring manager of a company who had a job that you applied for in the wake of that decision, should I tell you to hit the bricks because you're selfish and bail out?

I think it is hard to compare because of the seasonal element. If you have an on-going project at work where you are very, very central and you leave in the middle of it, that is somewhat questionable behavior based on the situation.

When you are the starting QB and you decide to RS 4 games in, your behavior is questionable. Just pointing out that someone can leave a job at any point is not exactly a fair comparison. I am completely fine with the 2nd or 3rd team QB leaving 4 games in, but that is a really different thing ...

If Rutgers doesn't like it, they can pull their schollies and kick them off campus.

With the internet warriors these days, Rutgers likely would have to shut down the school if they did that, let alone stop playing football (which they maybe should do anyway).

The classier move is to just let the kids do what they want now and move on after the year. Not make a bigger deal of it than it is with the individual members of the team.

Interesting -
Souf - like with everything else, there is a middle ground here. Our youngest graduated from Pitt in 2018 and accepted an offer as a software engineer. He's low on the totem pole and the job is a total grind - physically and mentally, but he knows he needs the experience and life isn't perfect.

It's ridiculous to think you should move on every time things get difficult.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
If they want to sit out, you pay back your scholly and lose all access to the team...you quit on them

Reactions: sonofabit
Souf - like with everything else, there is a middle ground here. Our youngest graduated from Pitt in 2018 and accepted an offer as a software engineer. He's low on the totem pole and the job is a total grind - physically and mentally, but he knows he needs the experience and life isn't perfect.

To me, it's ridiculous to not have Souf on ignore.

Reactions: Saboteur

Certainly
And if things don’t progress and he gets a better offer - he’ll take it, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT