ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jagr

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
I’m surprised there hadn’t been an earlier thread (at least that I’ve seen) about him returning to Pittsburgh to have his number retired by the Panguins. He was larger than life; a critical member of the Pens’ first two Stanley Cup winners; and from everything I have read incredibly popular his 11 years here.

I still think the tying goal he scored late in the first game of the Stanley Cup finals against Chicago was the greatest goal I ever have seen.

My first memory of him was watching the NHL draft the year he was drafted. The Penguins had the fifth pick. Legend has it that Jagr wanted to play with Mario and told the 4 teams drafting ahead of the Pens that he wouldn’t/couldn't come to the US to play for them if they drafted him.

I don’t know why they all fell for it because another Czech, Peter Nedved, was drafted 3rd, but Jagr fell to #5 and the Pens got him. (That was the first broadcast of the NHL draft I ever saw — and the last.)

Whatever the reasons were, the Pens getting him combined with the astute trades made by Craig Patrick won them 2 straight Stanley Cups. And, they might have won at least two more but for the horrible behind the goal hit Kevin Steven’s took in the playoffs the next year. That seemed to sap a lot of life out of the team.

Living in California, I only got to see him play live 3 or 4 times, but he still is my all-time favorite Pen. Retiring his number is long overdue!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News