ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jerry Kill

Absolutely agree, said the same thing a few weeks back. We’re fortunate to have mutual friends; he’s the kindest person you’ll ever meet and has a fascinating mind. Actually very similar to Lance Leipold in that he brought up several D2 coaches rather than hire an all-FBS staff because they were winners.

Reactions: TFloss
I used to have a few of his split back veer videos on VHS

I think a school like Syr or BC or Indiana or one of the lower P4s (no more Power 5) should run a gimmick offense like the veer or triple option. As a Pitt fan, I despised watching us try to stop GT's triple option. We did farely well against it but that was a chore and the players and coaches hated playing against it.

I think a school like Syr or BC or Indiana or one of the lower P4s (no more Power 5) should run a gimmick offense like the veer or triple option. As a Pitt fan, I despised watching us try to stop GT's triple option. We did farely well against it but that was a chore and the players and coaches hated playing against it.
It is the only systemized offense I know that has stood the test of time that non-scholarship guys can compete with P5 guys.

One of the main attractions to it was that it was much harder to find a legit QB who could win games throwing the ball then it was to find and develop an option QB. That sounds like 90% of college football.

Urban Meyer said if it weren't for the UF boosters, he would've ran it at UF with no issue.

My buddy in Idaho who is considered an offensive guru, calls it the communist offense lol.

I believe they made some rule changes within the last few years about what constitutes a chop block, and it's made running the traditional triple option under center difficult. I know there are some modified versions of it, though.

I tend to agree that those teams should run something unique to help mitigate recruiting disadvantages, but man... it would suck being a fan of a team that was running a service academy offense.

Jamey Chadwell runs a spread option offense. He was great at Coastal with it and is now undefeated at Liberty. I'm not smart enough to dig into the X's and O's, but his system should probably get a chance somewhere. Willy Korn (former Clemson QB) is the OC with him. I imagine he's close to getting a P5 OC job.

Reactions: imrealangry
What was his excuse for not running it at Ohio State then?
I don't know, that's what he said when we were in Florida back when he had Tebow. I do know that he met with Paul Johnson on the regular and based many of his concepts around the things Paul was doing even if it wasn't under center.

I believe they made some rule changes within the last few years about what constitutes a chop block, and it's made running the traditional triple option under center difficult. I know there are some modified versions of it, though.

I tend to agree that those teams should run something unique to help mitigate recruiting disadvantages, but man... it would suck being a fan of a team that was running a service academy offense.
Chop blocks (high/lows) have been illegal in any offense for decades.

The block you're referring to is the perimeter or downfield "cut" block.

This excuse is what Monken used to switch his offense around and Army is paying the price this year because of it. It hasn't kept Air Force from dominating the past 2 years since the new rule has been in place and they've been running it 100% under center during that time.

Jamey Chadwell runs a spread option offense. He was great at Coastal with it and is now undefeated at Liberty. I'm not smart enough to dig into the X's and O's, but his system should probably get a chance somewhere. Willy Korn (former Clemson QB) is the OC with him. I imagine he's close to getting a P5 OC job.
I wouldn't mind seeing the offense at PITT. It's very similar to the Bob DeBeese/Willie Fritz offense.

I wonder why Chadwell didn't copyright his offense lol..

Chop blocks (high/lows) have been illegal in any offense for decades.

The block you're referring to is the perimeter or downfield "cut" block.

This excuse is what Monken used to switch his offense around and Army is paying the price this year because of it. It hasn't kept Air Force from dominating the past 2 years since the new rule has been in place and they've been running it 100% under center during that time.

Yes - I'm not talking about blocking below the knees of an engaged player, but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to block below the knees outside the tackle box or something now, and I believe it's a fairly recent rule. I remember reading that the teams that run a variation of this offense of out the shotgun (or the pistol or whatever) probably wouldn't be as affected as the ones the operate from under center. Not sure what the validity of that is, but it's what I've read. And I do remember reading that it should have a particularly significant effect on the service academies.

I wouldn't say Air Force has been dominating anybody. I just watched them lose to a pretty pedestrian 6-5 Boise State team, and they're 79th in total offense.

I wouldn't mind seeing the offense at PITT. It's very similar to the Bob DeBeese/Willie Fritz offense.

I wonder why Chadwell didn't copyright his offense lol..

Let's go for it. What's Pitt have to lose? Though, how would the defense get to practice against what 99% of other teams will do?

I wouldn't say Air Force has been dominating anybody. I just watched them lose to a pretty pedestrian 6-5 Boise State team, and they're 79th in total offense.
They're 28-10 over the last 3 years. They smashed Baylor in their bowl game last year.

The team you saw lose to Boise is the same team that lost to UNLV. They're playing with backups at QB and FB. They win those games if they have those guys.

They might be 79th in total offense but they're #2 in rushing offense. Teams that run the ball like that typically win. On the other hand, Washington State is #3 in passing offense, yet their 5-7 on the season. The crazy thing is Air Force does it with non-scholarship athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT