ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jesse hired by Canada

AC Milan made the Champions League semis in 23, including beating Spurs, the 8th place team in that year's EPL.

This past year, they finished ahead of New Castle, the 7th place EPL team, in their CL group, beating them once and drawing the other game.

NC State made the Final Four. They werent one of the 4 or 20 best teams in college basketball. Funny things happen in tournaments. Just because AC Milan won some games in the CL doesnt mean they'd do better than mid-table in the EPL.

NC State made the Final Four. They werent one of the 4 or 20 best teams in college basketball. Funny things happen in tournaments. Just because AC Milan won some games in the CL doesnt mean they'd do better than mid-table in the EPL.

If you want to say you're not sure how they'd do that's fine, but, in spite of the available evidence, you suggest they'd be mid table at best.

Teams like Brentford, Brighton, and Palace have been mid table teams the last few years.

They're a big team and they do well when they have a chance. In America it's almost required that people overrate the EPL despite available evidence.

If you want to say you're not sure how they'd do that's fine, but, in spite of the available evidence, you suggest they'd be mid table at best.

Teams like Brentford, Brighton, and Palace have been mid table teams the last few years.

They're a big team and they do well when they have a chance. In America it's almost required that people overrate the EPL despite available evidence.

They'd have a mid-table payroll in the EPL. That doesn't guarantee they'd finish there but it means that there's a lot of average EPL teams who have players just as good as theirs. Serie A generally sucks. It never recovered from those match-fixing scandals and the 2007-2010 global financial crisis that hit Italy harder than most.

Hoping for a thrashing by Brazil tonight

I don't think tonight's game will matter to Burp's future, even a little bit. If they don't make it out of their Copa group the fact that they beat Brazil won't matter. And if they do make it to the KO rounds no one is going to care what happened in a friendly before the tournament.

The only way that he might, with emphasis on the word "might", get fired is a complete disaster at the Copa. Like lose to Boliva and Panama bad. And I'm not sure even that will be enough.

They'd have a mid-table payroll in the EPL. That doesn't guarantee they'd finish there but it means that there's a lot of average EPL teams who have players just as good as theirs. Serie A generally sucks. It never recovered from those match-fixing scandals and the 2007-2010 global financial crisis that hit Italy harder than most.

They had 2 semifinalists in the 23 semis and had more teams in the CL knockout rounds this year than England did.

I watch way more EPL than Serie A but this narrative doesn't make sense. EPL is more popular and spends more but the results aren't there in the only best vs best competition that matters.

They had 2 semifinalists in the 23 semis and had more teams in the CL knockout rounds this year than England did.

I watch way more EPL than Serie A but this narrative doesn't make sense. EPL is more popular and spends more but the results aren't there in the only best vs best competition that matters.

Come on now, what matters more, facts or SMF's opinion?

I don't think tonight's game will matter to Burp's future, even a little bit. If they don't make it out of their Copa group the fact that they beat Brazil won't matter. And if they do make it to the KO rounds no one is going to care what happened in a friendly before the tournament.

The only way that he might, with emphasis on the word "might", get fired is a complete disaster at the Copa. Like lose to Boliva and Panama bad. And I'm not sure even that will be enough.
My opinion is, his team loses to Bolivia, sacked before midnight. Bolivia is terrible.

My opinion is, his team loses to Bolivia, sacked before midnight. Bolivia is terrible.

Well you might do that, and I might do that (setting aside that neither of us would have hired him in the first place), but US Soccer isn't going to do that.

I really think that they could not get out of the Copa group and there would still be a better than 50-50 chance that they keep him.

• Sad
Reactions: Allan McMurray
I admittedly let my dislike for Coach Ding-a-ling cloud my thoughts. What an overall great result and match by the US. Turner was extremely solid. Great bounce back, great effort by everyone, including Derp a Derp.

End to End and they played like they belonged. Fun game, both teams easily coulda put 3 or 4 in. MOTM to Allison and Turner for keeping it 1-1.

I'm a bit more positive now.

It’s funny. We complained about playing out of the back the other night, and last night they put on a clinic doing it. And then the one time Turner tried playing it long, it resulted in a goal against. Just when you think you have the game figured out…you don’t.

Reactions: brdst11
Shout out to Turner, Scally and Ream who all put in great performances. We played open with one of the best teams in the world and didn't get shellacked, what an awesome match

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Shout out to Turner, Scally and Ream who all put in great performances. We played open with one of the best teams in the world and didn't get shellacked, what an awesome match
Yeah good call on those three. I’d have to agree. Christian was good too. Hard to imagine Scally having to deal with anyone tougher than Viny…unless we meet france at the World Cup in 26. And as far as Ream, if he comes to MLS will that be good for him and us if he wants to play in the next World Cup? Turner is limited. We know that, but what a match last night. He was good in every aspect. I would be surprised if his sofascore was under a 9. And is there a better guy and teammate than him?

Christian needed to finish that perfect pass McKennie fed him. If he would have, he’d have been a 9.0 too. And we’d have won. It was a good save from Alison no doubt, but I’m sure CP knows he should have scored there.

The Champions League is a 6 game mini-league followed by 3 rounds of playoffs then the final. Random stuff can happen in such a small sampling of games. If ACM had to play 38 EPL games, they'd finish somewhere around 10th.

Christian needed to finish that perfect pass McKennie fed him. If he would have, he’d have been a 9.0 too. And we’d have won. It was a good save from Alison no doubt, but I’m sure CP knows he should have scored there.

Really good effort by the US. I feel like we've been saying this for almost a decade now but that Brazil team is lacking. Still have a few stars but I think we are so used to seeing Roberto Carlos, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, etc and these guys just arent that. They didnt seem that much better than the US tbh.

Really good effort by the US. I feel like we've been saying this for almost a decade now but that Brazil team is lacking. Still have a few stars but I think we are so used to seeing Roberto Carlos, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, etc and these guys just arent that. They didnt seem that much better than the US tbh.
Endrick the 17 year old phenom is better than anyone we have offensively. Viny Jr is top 5 attacker in the world? He came on late. But just look at the center back position. They have Thiago Silva and we have Tim Ream. We rely on Ream whil Silva doesn’t make the squad and is home with his family.

USA should have won, when a ball hits the crossbar and then off the keepers back, how often does that not go in? :) That alone wins it. also, Pulisic and Aaronson had great chances as well,

They played pretty well, so it was the players talent showing through, but when they play badly it's Berhalter's fault :)

PS... I don't care about GB, but that's just the vibe I get from a lot of fans.

Reactions: 121rum
Deservedly so, I don't think he made a single mistake.
Yeah man I agree. It wasn’t just his shot stopping but it was his decisions coming off his line, his distribution, and his play on set pieces. Also, I can’t remember how he was in the back with possession and his feet and if he was involved on those occasions when our boys did such a brilliant job playing out of the back against the press. Pretty sure he had to be involved right?

Reactions: Pitt79
Yeah man I agree. It wasn’t just his shot stopping but it was his decisions coming off his line, his distribution, and his play on set pieces. Also, I can’t remember how he was in the back with possession and his feet and if he was involved on those occasions when our boys did such a brilliant job playing out of the back against the press. Pretty sure he had to be involved right?
He was involved moving the ball with his feet too, I remember hoping he doesn't get too fancy, he handled those plays well. It made me wonder about that guy that was supposed to be the upcoming GK star who went to EPL? i can't even remember his name now? :)

He was involved moving the ball with his feet too, I remember hoping he doesn't get too fancy, he handled those plays well. It made me wonder about that guy that was supposed to be the upcoming GK star who went to EPL? i can't even remember his name now? :)
Slonina. He’s at Chelsea and was loaned out to some club I’ve never heard of. Our goalkeeping at Chelsea is meh (the New England revolution keeper was our keeper for most of the year) and there is no discussion of bringing Slonina to compete at this point and time. So he may not yet be at Turners level.

Slonina. He’s at Chelsea and was loaned out to some club I’ve never heard of. Our goalkeeping at Chelsea is meh (the New England revolution keeper was our keeper for most of the year) and there is no discussion of bringing Slonina to compete at this point and time. So he may not yet be at Turners level.
Not him, this guy was a black guy, I think he went to Man City and rode the bench and was never heard from again, I don't remember where he played in MLS?

Not him, this guy was a black guy, I think he went to Man City and rode the bench and was never heard from again, I don't remember where he played in MLS?
Zack Steffen. He’s in MLS now I believe. Colorado maybe?

Reactions: Pitt79
Endrick the 17 year old phenom is better than anyone we have offensively. Viny Jr is top 5 attacker in the world? He came on late. But just look at the center back position. They have Thiago Silva and we have Tim Ream. We rely on Ream whil Silva doesn’t make the squad and is home with his family.

Thiago Silva is a billion.

And there were 2 Fulham players on the pitch. 1 for each side. Brazil isnt what it was.

Thiago Silva is a billion.

And there were 2 Fulham players on the pitch. 1 for each side. Brazil isnt what it was.
I get that. They had a bunch or Porto guys too, guys from Wolves, Atalanta, etc. but they still have multiple Real Madrid players and that’s all you need to be head and shoulders above the US.

I get that. They had a bunch or Porto guys too, guys from Wolves, Atalanta, etc. but they still have multiple Real Madrid players and that’s all you need to be head and shoulders above the US.

They have big club guys but are noticeably lacking them in the midfield. We'll see if that's a weakness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT