ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jimbo Fisher

Also, some perspective on this buyout (and why Narduzzi isn’t going anywhere anytime soon):

Narduzzi’s buyout is approx. $35M after this season. If we fire him anytime in the next four off-seasons, it will essentially be the latest buyout of all-time for anyone not named Jimbo Fisher. Even firing him in five seasons would result in a near top-five finish on that list. Does the school have the financial backing to do something like this AND hire a strong successor? I wouldn’t bet on it.

Buyouts go up as salaries go up. You dont hold off on firing him because of a Twitter list. You cant go 2-10 and then 5-7. You cant have 3 losing seasons in 8 years. 6-6 next year or he's gone. If they need to get rid of the lacrosse program to do so, so be it.

Reactions: 303vND
$76 million just to fire a college football coach? Half a million homeless. Tens of millions without health coverage. Our nation's priorities are waaaay out of whack.

And Pitt has NO chance. Just pack up the tent and go home.
Those Texas billionaires put there cash where it really matters. College football. Homeless? Hungry? They don't give 2 f**ks about stuff like that.

Reactions: HailtoPitt
Pitt can buy out Narduzzi if they want. Will they is another decision, but they have to have his replacement. No one thought stallings would actually be let go and in hindsight they let him go and put up cash for his replacement for a much less profitable program.

Yeah, but they did that in large part because they didn't pay Sleepy anywhere near his full buyout amount.

Narduzzi can’t be fired and honestly should not be. In many ways his awkward doofus ways and his geographical background are great for us.

But literally EVERYTHING ELSE needs an overhaul, save perhaps a couple assistants who recruit ok. And we need to push out most of the players (and literally all the QBs) and bring in mega numbers of transfers.

Pitt boosters are cheap compared to just about every other P5 fanbase. They might blow a lot of hot air, but I’d say the odds of PN getting fired this year are less than 1%.
The boosters aren’t cheap, there just aren’t many of them left after the 80s and 90s Great Golden Purge. Pitt as usual totally is to blame for donor reticence. Donors rightfully expect their money to go toward football or basketball winning. Pitt wants to use it for the sports nobody cares about except their woke brigade in charge.

The boosters aren’t cheap, there just aren’t many of them left after the 80s and 90s Great Golden Purge. Pitt as usual totally is to blame for donor reticence. Donors rightfully expect their money to go toward football or basketball winning. Pitt wants to use it for the sports nobody cares about except their woke brigade in charge.
Pitt is near the bottom of the ACC in donations. Barnes was an a-hole, but he put a magnifying glass on how bad it was.

Reactions: ThePanthers
I would. Am I wrong?
Considering how highly rated some of A&M's recent recruiting classes were, I'm
not sure he would be the best choice. I think a younger, hungrier assistant from a
Power 5 program or head coach from a G5 program would be a better choice. Jimbo's
getting up in years and we saw what happened with Majors 2.

$76 million just to fire a college football coach? Half a million homeless. Tens of millions without health coverage. Our nation's priorities are waaaay out of whack.

You don’t have any savings you can donate?

Pitt is near the bottom of the ACC in donations. Barnes was an a-hole, but he put a magnifying glass on how bad it was.
And we should be reticent, until the school uses the money properly.
I’ve greatly diminished my Pitt GP to bare minimum and shifted to the NIL group. But even that is suspect; Pitt would not go for the balls-in spending on football players that is needed

There are always people willing to make excuses for people who refuse to donate.

And that is, in large part, why we are where we are as an athletic department.

Said that yesterday. A lot of our fan base have the pro mentality. College athletics, if you want change and to move forward more quickly, you donate, you support. Better recruits want to see full stands. Coaches and admin need more resources. And now with nil, you need that too.

Our fanbase jumps ship immediately or never donated in the first place. I used to try to convince people that’s what needs done but gave up. I can only do what I can control and just enjoy when we do have success in all Pitt sports.

Said that yesterday. A lot of our fan base have the pro mentality. College athletics, if you want change and to move forward more quickly, you donate, you support. Better recruits want to see full stands. Coaches and admin need more resources. And now with nil, you need that too.

Our fanbase jumps ship immediately or never donated in the first place. I used to try to convince people that’s what needs done but gave up. I can only do what I can control and just enjoy when we do have success in all Pitt sports.

That's exactly it.

"I don't need to donate any money to dem der Stillers and I can still wave my Turrible Towel on Sundays, why would I donate any money to Pitt?"

That's exactly it.

"I don't need to donate any money to dem der Stillers and I can still wave my Turrible Towel on Sundays, why would I donate any money to Pitt?"
I’m not sure that’s fixable for this fan base. I think the only way Pitt ever brings in any big money to the athletic department is through 1 or 2 super donor types. We’ve all pined for our own T. Boone Pickens for years, at this point someone like that is probably our only real hope.

crazy when you think that Grahams staff had Norvell and Lanning on it, two coaches of top 10 programs now. Plus top assistants like Tony Gibson and Calvin Magee. Kind of like the staff that Hackett had with Mike McCarthy, Marvin Lewis, etc.
Good point, Slick. And Todd Graham and some of his guys came from a Rich Rod staff, if I recall correctly. Todd the Fraud, and RichFraud had bad reputations. Tony Gibson too. But they had some recruiters and creative coaches.

I’m not sure that’s fixable for this fan base. I think the only way Pitt ever brings in any big money to the athletic department is through 1 or 2 super donor types. We’ve all pined for our own T. Boone Pickens for years, at this point someone like that is probably our only real hope.

I think that you are exactly right. It is what it is, and it is unlikely to ever change in a meaningful way.

Reactions: ThePanthers

Why is it on T A&M boosters to house the homeless and provide healthcare coverage.

They can throw their money away wherever they want.

Last edited:
I think that you are exactly right. It is what it is, and it is unlikely to ever change in a meaningful way.

The moment I gave up personally on trying to convince others and knew it was hopeless to get the casual fan invested is in 2021 when people were complaining about paying $40 for a ticket against Clemson in one of the biggest home games in one of the best seasons in a generation.

The moment I gave up personally on trying to convince others and knew it was hopeless to get the casual fan invested is in 2021 when people were complaining about paying $40 for a ticket against Clemson in one of the biggest home games in one of the best seasons in a generation.

Our tickets may be dirt cheap, but we make up for it by not donating any money!

As is solar electric and electric car industries. As is the lazy, I just want to get high and not work industry, as is the I just wanna make babies and stay at home industry, the bureaucracy industry, the defense industry, and about a thousand others. My taxes subsidize all of these groups.

Correct. I'm not disputing that. If they earn a lot of profit as a result, tax them appropriately. These people want to have their cake and eat it too. Enough.

Wealth tax. Oil industry is subsidized by us.

That's a lazy answer. Their are plenty of uber wealthy and all are in some way subsidized by "us."

This includes plenty to of folks who pretend to care about the same issues you referenced.

Narduzzi can’t be fired and honestly should not be. In many ways his awkward doofus ways and his geographical background are great for us.

But literally EVERYTHING ELSE needs an overhaul, save perhaps a couple assistants who recruit ok. And we need to push out most of the players (and literally all the QBs) and bring in mega numbers of transfers.
Narduzzi is a good head coach for this team, but as you said, he needs to overhaul most of his staff--especially the offensive staff. Along with this, he HAS to change his philosophy. The game is evolving and he continues to be stuck in his own ways and in slow, Big 10 football. Look at how Saban changed at Alabama. If the best in the game can modify his approach, then anyone should be able to.

That's a lazy answer. Their are plenty of uber wealthy and all are in some way subsidized by "us."

This includes plenty to of folks who pretend to care about the same issues you referenced.

Correct. You must think I'm partisan.

Narduzzi is a good head coach for this team, but as you said, he needs to overhaul most of his staff--especially the offensive staff. Along with this, he HAS to change his philosophy. The game is evolving and he continues to be stuck in his own ways and in slow, Big 10 football. Look at how Saban changed at Alabama. If the best in the game can modify his approach, then anyone should be able to.
There is nothing wrong with Duzz's philosophy.

The problem is his 2023 team is a complete dumpster fire.

It's hard to win football games when your offense can't execute a handoff and your defense can't tackle.

Those Texas billionaires put there cash where it really matters. College football. Homeless? Hungry? They don't give 2 f**ks about stuff like that.
Right on , this is paid with booster money .

If this was university or state money heads would roll everywhere .

Amazing that enough people would care 70 mil worth to get rid of a Fb coach ……crazy world we live in .

Why not just take that $76 million, keep Jimbo, and up the amount they pay palyers to buy the best team?

There is nothing wrong with Duzz's philosophy.

The problem is his 2023 team is a complete dumpster fire.

It's hard to win football games when your offense can't execute a handoff and your defense can't tackle.
I don't like that he begrudgingly allows his OC to throw the ball and would rather run the ball 50 times and win a low scoring game. I also don't like that they never deviate from what they do on defense.

I don't like that he begrudgingly allows his OC to throw the ball and would rather run the ball 50 times and win a low scoring game. I also don't like that they never deviate from what they do on defense.
He wants balance. Every coach wants to be able to run the ball effectively. That doesn't mean you have to be low scoring.

I just wish we could actually win a game. I really don't care how.

How much of does everyone think A&M will be paying to get rid of Jimbo’s replacement in a few years?

I'm sure it's not like they are going to write a $75 million check. I'm sure it will be paid out over the life of the deal. With what they get from TV and donors it's a drop in the bucket. It just helps every good coach in the country get more.

Nope, I just think you want to tell people where they should spend their money.

If A&M boosters want to throw $75m at football coach, that's their business.

They can spend it where they want, and I can say that our priorities are out of whack. Or do you want to curtail my speech when you don't agree with it?

I'm sure it's not like they are going to write a $75 million check. I'm sure it will be paid out over the life of the deal. With what they get from TV and donors it's a drop in the bucket. It just helps every good coach in the country get more.

Just read where $20M up front is coming from the Aggies donor fund, and then like $8M/year over the next 7 years is coming out of the athletic budget (which a lot is donor based).

Reactions: TD_6082
They owe Jimbo $19 million within 60 days. After that, he gets another $7.2 mil due in March & $7.2 mil every year through 2031.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT