ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jimbo Fisher

They can spend it where they want, and I can say that our priorities are out of whack. Or do you want to curtail my speech when you don't agree with it?
Why would I want to curtail your speech?

It's a shame Pitt doesn't have a bunch of donors with out of whack priorities so they could offer full scholarships to the 15k National Merit Scholars each year like A&M does. Wonder how they got their $18 billion endowment?

You think we'd be playing at a rented stadium? Our rich alumnus spend it on pro teams so they can make even more money.

It's like A&M beat them to the punch and stole their thunder... They weren't quick enough!

Better to fire your coach during the season, then to wait until the end when other programs already have their search up and running. The best OCs will be taken by the time PN gets around to letting Cignetti go.

They owe Jimbo $19 million within 60 days. After that, he gets another $7.2 mil due in March & $7.2 mil every year through 2031.

I thought I saw somewhere that the $19 million comes from the donor pool but the rest comes from the university. That's still a pretty big hit for any athletic department to take, but I guess SEC money is pretty insane.

Better to fire your coach during the season, then to wait until the end when other programs already have their search up and running. The best OCs will be taken by the time PN gets around to letting Cignetti go.

The best mercenary OCs (track record at a P5) are going to command $1.5 to $2 mil per year, and at least a 3 year contract. I don't see Pitt going that route.

When A&M hired Jackie away from Pitt, 1982, they gave him a base salary of $95,000. With bonuses and incentives it was about $280,000 per year.

At that point in time it was reported to be the most money ever paid out to anyone, at any university in America.

Insanity.

Hard to figure. A&M, Texas, Tennessee, South Carolina. Money, support, but pretty much average the past 25 years or so, save a couple good seasons scattered here and there,
You just answered it. If you have everything it takes to win but so does everyone else on your schedule, you go .500.

FWIW, the Athletic today had a chart of the ten highest buyouts in college football. Kirby Smart was number one at $92.6 million. Jimbo was second. James Franklin was 4th at $64.6.

I guess the good news is that Pat Narduzzi didn't make the top ten. Tenth on the list was Dan Lanning at $44.3 million.

The best DYNAMIC OCs will be gone for sure. The tired, much-failed conservative dinosaur hacks like Watson and Cignetti will be all that is left.

Which is precisely what Narduzzi wants.

So he knows just what he is (isn’t) doing.

It would seem such a great AD like Lyke would also know this pretty obvious tactic.

Yet she isn’t making him do anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT