ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kenny Pickett

what the f is weak sauce? What's weak? that's a gay ass saying too. weak sauce? Da phuck are you talking about?

you arent even making up a good point, you just say weak sauce. make a point or shut up..
What’s your argument that he’s doing great? “He’s a Pitt guy, derp.” That isn’t cutting it.

Look at his stats and the teams record. Neither are good. By any logical take, he’s just not very good yet.

There are many completely acceptable reasons, but Pickett isn’t playing well. It’s too bad, but hardly surprising. This season is a mulligan. I’m glad for him to win a couple and not mess up, to help his confidence. But he’s still missing more plays than he’s making. Hopefully it will come, but not this season. As mentioned he got a taste of a couple wins, which is nice. Now, frankly, they will be best served losing most of the rest, to maximize their picks.

Not sure what you are watching. Most "experts" who analyze QB play will disagree with you.

Keep in mind, even Peyton Manning completed only 56% of his passes and threw 28 picks as a rookie.

Not sure what you are watching. Most "experts" who analyze QB play will disagree with you.

Keep in mind, even Peyton Manning completed only 56% of his passes and threw 28 picks as a rookie.

nah he's looking at the box score and making his conclusions. That's fine, though. Everyone entitled to their own opinion. Really not worth arguing with posters who's only rebuttal is "look at his stats".

If we want, we can pull the top 10 QBs in the league and look at their stats and team record as a rookie QB's. That would settle this, but again, anyone who says "look at his stats" as an argument, will never concede and is here to simply argue.

Reactions: FireballZ
nah he's looking at the box score and making his conclusions. That's fine, though. Everyone entitled to their own opinion. Really not worth arguing with posters who's only rebuttal is "look at his stats".

If we want, we can the top 10 QBs in the league and look at their stats and team record as a rookie QB's. That would settle this, but again, anyone who says "look at his stats" as an argument, will never concede and is here to simply argue.
Yep. How dare I argue with stats, aka facts.

I acknowledged he is doing ok for a rookie QB. And that many of the problems are not of his doing. And that he’ll likely improve in coming seasons.

You’ll have to be satisfied with that.

He's missed some throws for sure. Just like every qb in history. He hits way more than he misses. His red zone play needs work, but that is usually last to come. He's better than half the qbs in the NFL right now.
That’s a reasonable take. There aren’t many great QB at this time, that’s for sure.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
What’s your argument that he’s doing great? “He’s a Pitt guy, derp.” That isn’t cutting it.

Look at his stats and the teams record. Neither are good. By any logical take, he’s just not very good yet.
The team's record ? It's 4-4 with him as a starter.
Considering he had to play at Buffalo , Miami and Philadelphia and against Cincinnati , I would say that is above average.

I acknowledged he is doing ok for a rookie QB. And that many of the problems are not of his doing. And that he’ll likely improve in coming seasons.

you're weak sauce..

jk Ole six-fiver. i just disagree a bit man, no huge deal. seeing progress every week.. and im loving his decision making and he's making really accurate intermediate throws. A ton of really good throws last two weeks on the outside and even hitting that seam pass well (#82 this week) and had an incredible throw last week too (Forget if it was pickens or someone else).

the miss to Pickens last week still pisses me off i will admit.

stats are facts but they don't tell the full story.

want some facts? man killed by man. welp, I guess the guy who killed the other guy is a real POS, isn't he?

not how it works. watch the games.

you're weak sauce..

jk Ole six-fiver. i just disagree a bit man, no huge deal. seeing progress every week.. and im loving his decision making and he's making really accurate intermediate throws. A ton of really good throws last two weeks on the outside and even hitting that seam pass well (#82 this week) and had an incredible throw last week too (Forget if it was pickens or someone else).

I will admit I’m uber critical because he’s a Pitt guy, because I can see the atmosphere in this town going toxic with him very fast if he isn’t good relatively soon…like, division champs next season soon. It happened with Conner, on a lesser scale due to the position, but things got ugly fast . And with the QB the stakes are exponentially higher. I just don’t want to see that happen.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Pickens is a rookie, too, so I'll cut him some slack but there isn't anyone acting like a playmaker on that offense. Pickett isn't embarrassing himself but he's also missing some plays that he has to make. A lot of it is still the play calling. It's not like running the jet sweep over and over is doing the offense any favors. Really tired of Johnson not making plays. Someone has to step up.

This is a really reasonable take. He’s been improving and playing well given the constraints he has. It remains to be seen what his ceiling will be. I think those gushing over his recent performances aren’t being particularly objective, just like those saying he’s garbage.

I’m reserving full judgement until this time next season.

Reactions: pittdan77
I will admit I’m uber critical because he’s a Pitt guy, because I can see the atmosphere in this town going toxic with him very fast if he isn’t good relatively soon…like, division champs next season soon. It happened with Conner, on a lesser scale due to the position, but things got ugly fast . And with the QB the stakes are exponentially higher. I just don’t want to see that happen.
i will admit i might be a tad (JUST A TAD) Bias as he's a pitt guy lol.

you're weak sauce..

If it makes you feel any better, Pickens didn't explode out of his break which caused the "overthrow". Imo, that's on George not Kenny.

Pickens is a rookie, too, so I'll cut him some slack but there isn't anyone acting like a playmaker on that offense. Pickett isn't embarrassing himself but he's also missing some plays that he has to make. A lot of it is still the play calling. It's not like running the jet sweep over and over is doing the offense any favors. Really tired of Johnson not making plays. Someone has to step up.

Unfortunately, his ego/psychoses are still in the rookie phase, too. He's a ticking time bomb, and I don't know if he's going to last long because of it.

This isn't years of pent-up frustration coming to a head. When an unproven dude in his 12th game ever is blowing up like that, well...
agree. he's gonna be a one trick pony anyways so just throw him a deep ball or two down the sidelines in the first quarter and maybe be catches one or gets an interference..

worst case, it shuts him up for awhile..

Pickett is in a weird spot as a rookie. Too many fans expected Ben Roethlisberger to come in here and for Pickett to light it up. The standards are ridiculously high. You also have an ultraconservative offensive philosophy that Ben, Kenny, Mitch, and Mason have not been able to overcome.

The Steelers also wasted an entire offseason pretending to give Rudolph a chance. At worst, Pickett should’ve been the No. 2 all offseason. They handed Najee a starting job and basically did the same with Green and Moore.

Pickett is showing glimpses and improving throughout the season, but is still leaving a lot of plays on the field. Part of that is because he’s a rookie and simply not seeing things and the other part is I don’t think the coaches want their QBs taking risks. They’re trying to win 20-17 every week.

Reactions: FireballZ
This WR room was overrated because there are/were guys that had each had an elite trait or two. But no great WRs yet.

DJ is a great route runner, but not a great WR. Scared of getting hit, too many drops, not enough size for congested catches.

Claypool had size and straight line spread, but no ball skills, hands, or quickness. Plays small because he doesn’t high point and slow because he is always stumbling.

Pickens will be the best of the bunch, but he has to show that he can be a volume guy too. You can’t live simply by the contested catch. Part of that could be he hasn’t been the first read, but has also missed some plays.

Austin was a never was this year. I know we are expecting a playmaker, but time will tell. How they address adding a WR in the off-season might give some clues there.

So my ultimate point is KP 8 didn’t start with an elite bunch - it’s still evolving and at some point will better support him.

Unfortunately, his ego/psychoses are still in the rookie phase, too. He's a ticking time bomb, and I don't know if he's going to last long because of it.
He wants the ball more and that's a good thing. I don't know that I would describe his outburst as a ticking time bomb. The Steelers knew the kid plays with raw emotion when they took him. What he needs is some veteran leadership to get him past his frustration. They don't really have anyone capable of providing it.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
He wants the ball more and that's a good thing. I don't know that I would describe his outburst as a ticking time bomb. The Steelers knew the kid plays with raw emotion when they took him. What he needs is some veteran leadership to get him past his frustration. They don't really have anyone capable of providing it.

What he did yesterday is not a good thing. And he's had this label for some time.

Kenny missed some throws he should have completed, but generally has played smarter and better, especially the past 2 weeks. Not sure what's up with Dionte Johnson but he's sucked this year.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Has he done anything more than just avoiding the turnovers and other mistakes that plagued him initially, even if a number of those initial turnovers were more bad luck than his fault?

His number’s definitely don’t pop of the paper, average at best w/r to passing yards and completion percentage. We still struggle to score points, particularly the all important TDs instead of FGs.

He's 5th in the entire NFL in completion percentage above expected. Also, avoiding turnovers and winning games is a pretty good barometer for rookie QBs. He also has a lower INT% than any other rookie QB drafted since 2021, including Trevor "Golden Boy" Lawrence. That includes all of his early picks.

Reactions: gary2
Pickett is in a very good group of players for CPOE. Obviously he needs to improve in EPA, but a lot of that is the conservative nature of this offense, which no Steelers QB has been able to overcome.

They’re not scoring enough points. He’s coming along but I think you’re overdoing it.
THIS^^^ He needs a game or two with MULTIPLE TD Passes, and some games where he has at least a half dozen chunk plays like 20+ yards downfield, especially in the middle of the field, not sure if it's the play calling, schemes, lack of confidence, lack of arm strength? NOBODY wins championships with a game manager, running the ball and defense anymore. He needs some games where he carries the game with his arm. I have to agree with those that say 4 TD passes in 9 games in 2022 is PITIFUL. Although I think he probably should have at least 6-8 when you consider catchable balls that where dropped.

we've had some head cases at WR lately, that's for sure.. hope he's not one but early signs arent promising..

Pickens is already acting like post-Burfict AB. People forget how relatively polite and respectful AB was early on. Yes he was a bit of a diva but it took him years and possible CTE to get to where Pickens is already.

THIS^^^ He needs a game or two with MULTIPLE TD Passes, and some games where he has at least a half dozen chunk plays like 20+ yards downfield, especially in the middle of the field, not sure if it's the play calling, schemes, lack of confidence, lack of arm strength? NOBODY wins championships with a game manager, running the ball and defense anymore. He needs some games where he carries the game with his arm. I have to agree with those that say 4 TD passes in 9 games in 2022 is PITIFUL. Although I think he probably should have at least 6-8 when you consider catchable balls that where dropped.
The lack of scoring can easily be attributed to drops, penalties and poor playcalling.

The Pickett results are governed by much more than Pickett himself.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
The lack of scoring can easily be attributed to drops, penalties and poor playcalling.

with our OL playing well (run blocking anyways) and Najee finally taking his skirt off and running the ball like he's not a 16 year old girl, i suspect our red zone offense will improve and Kenny will get some TD passes here in the last few weeks..

Pickens is already acting like post-Burfict AB. People forget how relatively polite and respectful AB was early on. Yes he was a bit of a diva but it took him years and possible CTE to get to where Pickens is already.
It’s not like the offense is cranking and he just isn’t getting his. Then you wonder. But he is watching DJ making $1MM per GAME to drop balls and run backwards. He was rightfully pissed in the moment. Just needs to express it differently

Here’s the fact. Pickens isn’t very bright. And I’m not sure his talent will ultimately outweigh that? Pickett can’t trust his routes. That’s a big problem.

Pickens is a passionate young man. He’s learning how to adjust to life in the NFL. Be patient.

Reactions: pittdan77
If it makes you feel any better, Pickens didn't explode out of his break which caused the "overthrow". Imo, that's on George not Kenny.
I was watching Pickens as close as I could on Sunday because I bet him. He didn’t look good in his route running. Obviously the camera doesn’t pick everything up but he didn’t look good. Then I saw him on the sideline for a series in the first half and I wasn’t surprised. Then of course his head exploded in the 2nd half.

Kenny missed some throws he should have completed, but generally has played smarter and better, especially the past 2 weeks. Not sure what's up with Dionte Johnson but he's sucked this year.
Yeah I think we are sensitive to his misses right now because we know detractors are going to rip him for it. He’s missed some doozies. But don’t they all? I thought someone said advanced metrics show that he’s still among the elite with his accuracy statistically. That said, that could be a product of not going down the field too.

And as far as stats, his QB rating would have been above average the last few weeks if those incompletions were TD passes. If he had better receivers, he’d have 4 more TD passes the last couple weeks.

And as far as stats, his QB rating would have been above average the last few weeks if those incompletions were TD passes. If he had better receivers, he’d have 4 more TD passes the last couple weeks.
Stats aside, he's 4-4 as a starter with the losses coming to teams that are all solid playoff teams, at the moment. Six of those teams he started against are in the top twelve in team defense. He's doing fine.

True, but it would be nice to see JUST ONE game where things went his way and he had impressive STATS.

True, but it would be nice to see JUST ONE game where things went his way and he had impressive STATS.
Pickett has played well enough to lead a decent team into the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT