ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kenny Pickett

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
He has played well enough for the team to have been 7-2 during his stint as QB

Has he done anything more than just avoiding the turnovers and other mistakes that plagued him initially, even if a number of those initial turnovers were more bad luck than his fault?

His number’s definitely don’t pop of the paper, average at best w/r to passing yards and completion percentage. We still struggle to score points, particularly the all important TDs instead of FGs.

in his early years at Pitt I think whe. He was amped up he would sail the ball a bit high I noticed that at times today . But he is winning

Has he done anything more than just avoiding the turnovers and other mistakes that plagued him initially, even if a number of those initial turnovers were more bad luck than his fault?

His number’s definitely don’t pop of the paper, average at best w/r to passing yards and completion percentage. We still struggle to score points, particularly the all important TDs instead of FGs.
The biggest thing for him besides subtle improvement probably has been losing Claypool. Claypool was to blame for a few of his initial turnovers along with other drops.

Reactions: FireballZ
They’d have a better record if he started all year long.
I agree in a round-about way. I’m not sure he wins any of the games that Trubisky lost, but allowing him to get comfortable sooner helps to flip a game like, say, against the Dolphins.

They’d have a better record if he started all year long.

I agree in a round-about way. I’m not sure he wins any of the games that Trubisky lost, but allowing him to get comfortable sooner helps to flip a game like, say, against the Dolphins.

Purely speculation on my part but I think their record is reversed if the stillers would have practiced him at QB1 all along.

You got this about 80% right….

They absolutely could be 7-2/6-3. But some of the losses were on plays he left out there late in games. That has to tie into the assessment of how well he played.

He is playing well overall, and is getting closer to being that guy.

Reactions: USN_Panther
You got this about 80% right….

They absolutely could be 7-2/6-3. But some of the losses were on plays he left out there late in games. That has to tie into the assessment of how well he played.

He is playing well overall, and is getting closer to being that guy.

He and Joe Burrow have a lot in common. The only major difference at this point is Burrow's experience and understanding where he going with the ball pre-snap.

You can't blame Diontae Johnson for not catching a ball without blaming Kenny for missing Friermuth twice (2nd was a pretty easy touchdown if he hits it, and he needs to) and not seeing some guys open downfield. Dionate also broke up a bad pass into double coverage, so it was both giveth and taken. But they can't keep scoring in the teens and expecting to win.

He and Joe Burrow have a lot in common. The only major difference at this point is Burrow's experience and understanding where he going with the ball pre-snap.
I loved Joe Burrow in the Christmas movies when he was a kid.

a856f7beea244734b034113520433f68_md.jpg
ELSWgpNUwAAb8AM.jpg

You can't blame Diontae Johnson for not catching a ball without blaming Kenny for missing Friermuth twice (2nd was a pretty easy touchdown if he hits it, and he needs to) and not seeing some guys open downfield. Dionate also broke up a bad pass into double coverage, so it was both giveth and taken. But they can't keep scoring in the teens and expecting to win.

wait, what? why can't Johnson be blamed? who's the vet making $18M/year and who's the rookie QB? Isn't the vet WR supposed to help his rookie QB? 18 has been nothing but a bum for KP all year. He's helped in 0 ways.

Sure, KP has missed some guys. He certainly has left some plays on the field, but that doesn't excuse the insanely bad play of his highest paid WR. He's been a complete joke.

He’s become a very capable game manager. Not a knock as it’s a big improvement from where he was just a month or so ago. Hopefully this is his floor and he can continue to improve.

These two wins were also against two really bad teams.

wait, what? why can't Johnson be blamed? who's the vet making $18M/year and who's the rookie QB? Isn't the vet WR supposed to help his rookie QB? 18 has been nothing but a bum for KP all year. He's helped in 0 ways.

Sure, KP has missed some guys. He certainly has left some plays on the field, but that doesn't excuse the insanely bad play of his highest paid WR. He's been a complete joke.

I didn't say he couldn't be blamed, and I've been on him all season. But Kenny needs to improve, too. You can't miss passes like Pickens in the end zone last week and Friermuth this week. He almost overthrew Heyward, too. There's room for improvement from all parties.

Reactions: Parkview57
I didn't say he couldn't be blamed, and I've been on him all season. But Kenny needs to improve, too. You can't miss passes like Pickens in the end zone last week and Friermuth this week. He almost overthrew Heyward, too. There's room for improvement from all parties.

almost overthrowing Heyward is a criticism? That play resulted in a TD.

Dionte dropped a TD last week v. Indy. Dionte had a tough jump ball chance TD v Atlanta and wasn't close. Again, tough play, but make ONE play. ONE.

Kenny has missed some guys, but I have trouble getting on him when he has hardly any help. 88 is help. That's pretty much it.

FWIW, the play Heyward made was a much tougher catch than the play where KP "missed" Pickens v. Indy. I'll give KP the blame on the throw to Pickens.. but my goodness, would be nice to see a WR make a single play for his QB. He didn't need to 1 hand it. Kenny should've hit him in the chest.. but again, MAKE A PLAY. Next game you go out and cry when you're not targeted?

almost overthrowing Heyward is a criticism? That play resulted in a TD.

Dionte dropped a TD last week v. Indy. Dionte had a tough jump ball chance TD v Atlanta and wasn't close. Again, tough play, but make ONE play. ONE.

Kenny has missed some guys, but I have trouble getting on him when he has hardly any help. 88 is help. That's pretty much it.

FWIW, the play Heyward made was a much tougher catch than the play where KP "missed" Pickens v. Indy. I'll give KP the blame on the throw to Pickens.. but my goodness, would be nice to see a WR make a single play for his QB. He didn't need to 1 hand it. Kenny should've hit him in the chest.. but again, MAKE A PLAY. Next game you go out and cry when you're not targeted?

Hey, I don't disagree that the receivers suck. Pickens is very quickly becoming a one-trick pony. Reminds me of Baldwin in 2009, when he just wanted to jog down the sidelines and have the QB lob jump balls. Coming into the season, I thought we'd have one of the better receiving corps in the league, and we don't.

Still need to hit some of those passes, though, when points are at such a premium. Especially in a dome. And I'm not even saying it's just Pickett. I don't know that I've ever seen QBs look worse across the board than I have in the games I've watched this year. Mariota was beyond awful. Matt Ryan has as much business being a starter in the NFL as I do. Taylor Heinicke, Mac Jones, etc. Just lots of bad QB play.

There are many completely acceptable reasons, but Pickett isn’t playing well. It’s too bad, but hardly surprising. This season is a mulligan. I’m glad for him to win a couple and not mess up, to help his confidence. But he’s still missing more plays than he’s making. Hopefully it will come, but not this season. As mentioned he got a taste of a couple wins, which is nice. Now, frankly, they will be best served losing most of the rest, to maximize their picks.

There are many completely acceptable reasons, but Pickett isn’t playing well. It’s too bad, but hardly surprising. This season is a mulligan. I’m glad for him to win a couple and not mess up, to help his confidence. But he’s still missing more plays than he’s making. Hopefully it will come, but not this season. As mentioned he got a taste of a couple wins, which is nice. Now, frankly, they will be best served losing most of the rest, to maximize their picks.
one of the more ridiculous takes i've seen on here in awhile.. He's making a lot of plays and more importantly, making great decisions. Cowher said yesterday that he played great. 2 missed throws in 2 weeks when you win and have zero turnovers is pretty good..

how many bad throws did mariota make yesterday? About 10.. Ryan the week before? a hell of a lot more than 2 in 2 weeks. And these are nfl veterans..

The future is damn bright for Pickett and the present is looking pretty good too. especially now that Naj took his dress and high heels off and our OL can run block. Put Pickett in 2nd and 5 instead of 2nd and 9 and this is what happens..

You missed the NFL “expert” commentary and many sets of eyes that believe KP’s throw to Pickens was on the money in the endzone last week but Pickens was lazy in getting to the spot after making an all pro move. Any more air under the pass would have allowed the DB to recover. Little things, you know.

Reactions: Chaos and gary2
one of the more ridiculous takes i've seen on here in awhile.. He's making a lot of plays and more importantly, making great decisions. Cowher said yesterday that he played great. 2 missed throws in 2 weeks when you win and have zero turnovers is pretty good..

how many bad throws did mariota make yesterday? About 10.. Ryan the week before? a hell of a lot more than 2 in 2 weeks. And these are nfl veterans..

The future is damn bright for Pickett and the present is looking pretty good too. especially now that Naj took his dress and high heels off and our OL can run block. Put Pickett in 2nd and 5 instead of 2nd and 9 and this is what happens..
Geez. I said nothing about his chance to be good in the future. He just isn’t much of anything right now.

If it makes you feel better, Marietta definitely stinks and so does Matt Ryan … but that actually helps my argument … The Steelers won the last two games mainly because those guys stink too, not because Pickett was great. The best that can be said is he didn’t F up as bad as those two, but t that’s a pretty low bar.

As I wrote there are perfectly acceptable reasons Pickett is weak sauce, many not of his doing (his OL and WR, mainly). But the speed of the game is still too much for him right now, and his decisions and accuracy are all over the board, again, right now. He’s missing more plays than he is making, it’s just the way it is. Reasonable to expect all this for a rookie QB. But utter fact.

Pickens is a rookie, too, so I'll cut him some slack but there isn't anyone acting like a playmaker on that offense. Pickett isn't embarrassing himself but he's also missing some plays that he has to make. A lot of it is still the play calling. It's not like running the jet sweep over and over is doing the offense any favors. Really tired of Johnson not making plays. Someone has to step up.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Geez. I said nothing about his chance to be good in the future. He just isn’t much of anything right now.

If it makes you feel better, Marietta definitely stinks and so does Matt Ryan … but that actually helps my argument … The Steelers won the last two games mainly because those guys stink too, not because Pickett was great. The best that can be said is he didn’t F up as bad as those two, but t that’s a pretty low bar.

As I wrote there are perfectly acceptable reasons Pickett is weak sauce, many not of his doing (his OL and WR, mainly). But the speed of the game is still too much for him right now, and his decisions and accuracy are all over the board, again, right now. He’s missing more plays than he is making, it’s just the way it is. Reasonable to expect all this for a rookie QB. But utter fact.
I don't understand why the O line still gets ragged on. Other than #65 committing too many penalties, they have been pretty freaking good the last half of the season. They are making Benny Snell and Anthony McFarland look good! Most of the recent sacks have been the result of a rookie QB holding it too long or running into pressure.

Kenny has been fine. His biggest haters are completely out of their minds. There are a few homers hyping him up, of course, but the haters outnumber them. When a rookie QB isn't downright atrocious, that's a positive sign. Does that mean he'll be a star in 2 years? No, but he looks like he belongs, which is basically the bar you judge a rookie QB agaisnt.

That pass in double coverage should have been caught. Dropson had alligator arms. It was placed perfectly. Dropson only went up with one arm. He totally should have caught that ball. He was scared.

Reactions: Wanstash21
I see Kenny's ceiling as Roger Staubach, his floor as Billy Kilmer.

it's not an utter fact, at all. it's your opinion and a bad one at that. he has made some really good throws. The pickens miss was bad last week no doubt as was the Muth one. But he's made some tremendous accurate throws, is making great decisions and even tucking and running the ball when needed...

again, when he's not throwing on 2nd and 11 and getting any kind of run game at all, he's doing very well. Dionte dropping an easy crossing pattern for a first down doesnt help..

He's way ahead of the curve for a rookie QB and is looking better and better each week.

They've improved but there are some issues with picking up the blitz. Some of it is formation but I don't know if that's on KP for not recognizing it or what.
One of the OL can always be counted on for killer procedure penalties frequently right after a nice play or moving into the red zone, to derail the momentum. May not explicitly be the OL fault, possibly the play coming in late, not getting accurately conveyed by KP etc, but it is almost clockwork that it happens and the team is then looking at a 1st and 15 or a 1st and goal with a long way to get.

That pass in double coverage should have been caught. Dropson had alligator arms. It was placed perfectly. Dropson only went up with one arm. He totally should have caught that ball. He was scared.

announcer was blaming Kenny for not throwing it earlier but I was yelling at my TV saying the same thing. He barely made an effort to make the catch.

it's not an utter fact, at all. it's your opinion and a bad one at that. he has made some really good throws. The pickens miss was bad last week no doubt as was the Muth one. But he's made some tremendous accurate throws, is making great decisions and even tucking and running the ball when needed...

again, when he's not throwing on 2nd and 11 and getting any kind of run game at all, he's doing very well. Dionte dropping an easy crossing pattern for a first down doesnt help..

He's way ahead of the curve for a rookie QB and is looking better and better each week.
Tsk. Someone is in their extra tight blue and gold undies today.

Pat yourself on the back for being a a good Pitt fan.

But you’re wrong. As a rookie QB he has done fine. But just as a QB, with no other qualifications, not really. He is mostly weak sauce so far.

Wrong.

I would take Kenny over quite a few QBs starting RIGHT NOW. Not based on future potential... playing right now. Win a game tomorrow, I'm taking Kenny over

Mariota
White
Mac
Watson
Ryan
Lawrence
Mills
R. Wilson
Heineke
Darnold
Dalton
Purdy
Wolford

that's 13 NFL starting QB's I'd take him over right now. Again, not even counting future progress.. just simply win a game for me tomorrow.

My real list is a bit longer, and maybe I'm being a bit of a homer with some of the guys I'd to the list above, but I think he's playing at a high level right now. He's making an offense that looked dead in the water look half decent. Steelers scored on their first 5 drives yesterday. When was the last time that happened? Best part is that the FGs will turn to TDs.. the 0 TDs on his stat line will turn to 2-3 TDs/game. Kenny is a stud. Steelers got extremely lucky.

Reactions: jtbuba and gary2

But you’re wrong. As a rookie QB he has done fine. But just as a QB, with no other qualifications, not really. He is mostly weak sauce so far.
what the f is weak sauce? What's weak? that's a gay ass saying too. weak sauce? Da phuck are you talking about?

you arent even making up a good point, you just say weak sauce. make a point or shut up..

based on what? winning 3 of last 4? not turning it over last 4? Wr's dropping Tds? incompetent O Coordinator? Which part of his game is weak sauce?

not really sure how you can watch him play and think he's not playing well. The only conclusion I can come to is that you're looking at his box score after the game. The pretty stats have been empty.. but if he had some dudes that could make ONE play.. he'd have the pretty stats.

Rookie, undersized TE, made a better catch than any of his WR's have all year for him.

Reactions: gary2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT