ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lake Superior.

the Ohio river is much larger than the Mississippi river in terms of cubic feet per second of water flow where the two rivers meet in Cairo Illinois (almost 50% greater volume of water). The headwaters of the largest river in the USA is in Western PA..... not Minnesota (the headwaters of the Mississippi). Take a look on Google maps to see the size difference.

uh, no..... Man, I am being quite the Cliff Calvin on this thread. Headwaters are determined by distance to the mouth from the initial source (ie headwater). The headwater of the Allegheny is closer to the mouth of the Mississippi in New Orleans than the actual headwater of the Mississippi at the trickle that flows from Lake Itaska in Northern Minnesota...
The "headwater" of the Allegheny is in Potter Country. What are you talking about?

Lake Baikal sucks !!

Ruskie surface area wannabe...don't need 5,000 feet of depth of water to waterski, you need room and Gordon Lightfoot sure as hell wasn't going to name it in a song..
Well said.

The issue with both of course is that getting good weather for the beach is a lottery ticket. Nothing is worse than a beach trip that has constant rain IMO…the mind spins with vacation days and numbers of dollars wasted. So Presque serves that well, it can be done in a day, planned on the drop off a hat on a Sunny day, it doesn’t waste loads of time and money if there Is poor weather when the dates of the trip finally come along.
That's a problem on any beach anywhere outside maybe the Caribbean in non-hurricane season.

Generally the summer weather in the great lakes region is just fine for trip planning. As much as it can be in any 4 seasons climate.

AMAZING LAKE SUPERIOR FACTS
1. Lake Superior contains ten percent of all the fresh water on the planet Earth.
2. It covers 82,000 square kilometers or 31,700 square miles.
3. The average depth is 147 meters or 483 feet.
4. There have been about 350 shipwrecks recorded in Lake Superior.
5. Lake Superior is, by surface area, the largest lake in the world.
6. A Jesuit priest in 1668 named it
Lac Tracy, but that name was never officially adopted.
7. It contains as much water as all the other Great Lakes combined, plus three extra Lake Eries.
8. The Ojibwe name for Lake Superior is Gitchi-Gami which translates to “Great sea”.
9. The shoreline of Lake Superior is 2,726 miles (4,385 km) long.
10. There is a small outflow from the lake at St. Marys River (Sault Ste Marie) into Lake Huron but it takes almost two centuries for the water to be completely replaced.
11. There is enough water in Lake Superior to cover all of North and South America with water a foot deep.
12. It takes 551 billion gallons of water to raise the water level one inch.
13. The deepest point in the lake is 405 meters or 1,333 feet.
14. There are 78 different species of fish that call the big lake home.
15. The largest waves ever recorded on Lake Superior were 28.8 feet (8.8 meters) high and were recorded in October of 2017.
16. If you stretched the shoreline of Lake Superior out to a straight line, it would be long enough to reach from Duluth to the Bahamas.
17. Over 300 streams and rivers empty into Lake Superior with the largest source being the Nipigon River.
18. The average underwater visibility of Lake Superior is about 8 meters or 27 feet, making it the cleanest and clearest of the Great Lakes. Underwater visibility in some spots reaches 30 meters.
19. In the summer, the sun sets more than 35 minutes later on the western shore of Lake Superior than at its southeastern edge.
21. It is extremely rare for Lake Superior to 100% freeze over. The last time it came close was in 2014 when it had 91% ice coverage.
22. Lake Superior is the coldest of the Great Lakes with an average temperature of between 36 and 39 degrees Fahrenheit

Geez, I've lived in Michigan nearly all of my life and have spent countless summer days and weeks on Lake Michigan from north to south, and never knew it touched any part of Canada.

You learn something new every day online. Not necessarily accurate, but new.

For instance, I never knew the earth was flat until I read that online. I always thought it was round.
Lake Michigan and Lake Huron are technically one lake.

I love the fact some are actually arguing or getting defensive on bodies of water.

There are only four Great Lakes. Huron is only kind of OK. The others are great.
Huron is so blue. I used to do business with a company in Port Huron MI. I stayed at a hotel right on the water. In fact, my cell would pick up its signal from Canada (Sarnia across the river).

The water was just so blue. In fact the bridge (I69) that takes you to Canada over the river (forget what it is called) that Huron flows into before it gets to Detroit and then Lake Erie. But the bridge is called "The Bluewater Bridge". Also I was amazed at the current strength. But also, it is like the width of the Ohio River. So I ask, "wouldn't this be like an easy crossing for people coming into this country"? And they said it is patrolled pretty well, but obviously not 1/20th of the Rio Grande.

There are only four Great Lakes. Huron is only kind of OK. The others are great.
Huron is great, especially the Canadian side and the northern coasts. Georgian Bay and the North Channel are stunning.

Erie is the consensus redheaded stepchild of the 5. Shallowest, dirtiest, least scenic shoreline by far.

Yes, they are.
I suppose by your definition there is only one great lake, since they are all interconnnected.

You do realize that the federal and state governments, the EPA, DNRs, NOAA, etc. as well as the entire rest of the civilized world, agrees that there are 5 great lakes?

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
I suppose by your definition there is only one great lake, since they are all interconnnected.

You do realize that the federal and state governments, the EPA, DNRs, NOAA, etc. as well as the entire rest of the civilized world, agrees that there are 5 great lakes?
Huron and Michigan are directly connected. They are the same body of water. There is no river running between them. Newsflash! There is really only one ocean.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT