ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Land Rover Discovery or other car recommendations?

anon_d97v9o3a8b6xr

Board of Trustee
Aug 3, 2010
Looking at a 2018 Land Rover Discovery HSE Luxury. 25,000 miles, absolutely tricked out. Is it really worth it knowing Land Rover just doesn’t get solid reliability ratings. The price is hard to pass up as it’s priced below recommended prices.

my options
Acura MDX
Infiniti QX60
Audi Q7
Land Rovers different models.

Looking at a 2018 Land Rover Discovery HSE Luxury. 25,000 miles, absolutely tricked out. Is it really worth it knowing Land Rover just doesn’t get solid reliability ratings. The price is hard to pass up as it’s priced below recommended prices.

my options
Acura MDX
Infiniti QX60
Audi Q7
I just went through this in the last month. I've been with Land Rover for 7 years now and stuck with them. What you hear is true about reliability, however, they really incentive you to stay with them, so it's hard to walk away. I always do 39 month leases. If you're buying beware. Make sure you get some kind of awesome certified warranty. I've had issues with my first two models right around the 24 month mark.

I’m not buying unless there’s a warranty. And I don’t want to have to pay for it. They should transferable. Car is expensive but under priced when comparing pricing for this model. But Jan I worry about a car manufacturer that is nearly the worst reliability rating.

Reactions: 303vND

my options
Acura MDX
Infiniti QX60
Audi Q7

If you like to blow money on stuff you don’t need to, then do it. There is a reason they are one of the lowest ranked car companies in the world. As someone mentioned, terrible reliability.

my options
Acura MDX
Infiniti QX60
Audi Q7
Mdx or Lexus RX

If you like to blow money on stuff you don’t need to, then do it. There is a reason they are one of the lowest ranked car companies in the world. As someone mentioned, terrible reliability.
Yeah, I know the 2018 got better ratings, but the company just doesn’t give me confidence. I have a friend who buys a new one every two to three years. He’s never had issues but never keeps them long enough to know.

Yeah, I know the 2018 got better ratings, but the company just doesn’t give me confidence. I have a friend who buys a new one every two to three years. He’s never had issues but never keeps them long enough to know.
Don’t buy. If your heart is set on LR for whatever reason, then lease one.

I brought it home for testing yesterday. Returning it today to keep looking. Family loved it, but it just isn’t practical to me to have damn massagers in the seat. I can appreciate technology and all, but I also know that stuff can become problematic down the road.

I just went through this in the last month. I've been with Land Rover for 7 years now and stuck with them. What you hear is true about reliability, however, they really incentive you to stay with them, so it's hard to walk away. I always do 39 month leases. If you're buying beware. Make sure you get some kind of awesome certified warranty. I've had issues with my first two models right around the 24 month mark.

Seems bizarre that anyone would sign-up for a brand with that track record.

Reactions: Chaos
There is a huge reliability issue, as well as a parts in stock issue, and your buying this because you are taking long trips?
Stay away. Yes they are pretty cool, but maintenance and repair costs will be high.
Might have trouble finding a dealership on the road, as well.
I’d go more mainstream. High line Honda, Toyota, Acura, Lexus...
I have a Pilot. Been basically flawless.

There is a huge reliability issue, as well as a parts in stock issue, and your buying this because you are taking long trips?
Stay away. Yes they are pretty cool, but maintenance and repair costs will be high.
Might have trouble finding a dealership on the road, as well.
I’d go more mainstream. High line Honda, Toyota, Acura, Lexus...
I have a Pilot. Been basically flawless.
We are buying to replace a car, but we happen to take long trips for daughters soccer. So we would obviously want space and comfort. Luxury on LR is without a doubt amazing, but at too many potential costs and issues. But I agree on the more mainstream. I’ve read about parts issues with Land Rover. My wife didn’t like the pilot. She loves the MDX and LR. Didn’t like the hinged back door on Lexus, but I think they’ve updated that on newer models.

Reactions: Pitt1975
Like you even need to ask.

il_1588xN.2548814076_pixg.jpg

My Acura MDX drives like a great set of tits. Third seat also. It’s a 2019. Just an observation from the wild and wealthy north hills of Pittsburgh. I see more range rovers at the giant Eagle than any other make of car. I am sure having the Rahal Range Rover dealership just down the highway is a big reason but they get poor reliability reviews.

between my wife and myself and three adult kids we have owned 7 Acura’s. RELIABLE !

I have a restored 1955 Jeep Willy's. It will out perform most new vehicles today for its purpose. Wife loves her Highlander.

A good friend bought a LR Discovery a few years back. Hated it and ended up trading it in for a Volvo XC90. (We have owned our XC90 for 4 years and love it.)

FWIW - we bought our kids a 2002 Acura MDX with 70K miles in 2010. It was donated this past summer with 187K miles and a bit of body rust. That car went from Pittsburgh - Raleigh - South Bend. We definitely were proactive with maintenance, but for the most part it was extremely reliable.

my options
Acura MDX
Infiniti QX60
Audi Q7
If you want a car that has high costs for maintaining it when it is not in the shop and low resale, that is the car for you. The best suv at the present time is a new Teluride or Palisade. It is not even close.

Reactions: CarolinaPittFan
Glad the OP seems to being going away from the LR. They are just junk in terms of build and it's not just the hassle of repair, but the cost. As someone else in this thread mentioned, can't believe so many people buy them just for some sort of status (in their mind).

Acura MDX and Infiniti QX60 are good options mentioned here, though maybe look at the QX80 instead. Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander will do well in reliability, but I don't like the look of either, too much like a station wagon. Miss the old Pilots. The Subura Ascent is a good option not mentioned here if you are looking for better value than say a LR. Also, don't laugh, but is we are talking straight vehicle for $$ value, the Kia Telluride is worth a look. Telluride is well built 3 row vehicle with lots of features at great price points. Only downside is the Kia will kill you on resale value compared to like a Pilot, but if you just want something affordable that looks good and plan to keep it for 5 years or more, check it out.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

my options
Acura MDX
Infiniti QX60
Audi Q7
I know it is not a luxury make but the Kia Telluride is an amazing vehicle. I’d you add the nightfall package in the SX trim you will be surprised how luxurious you can make it look and feel.

Reactions: TONY13
A favorite car term, is that;” there is an ass for every seat”
Buy what you like. But do your homework.
Volvo XC90, an awesome vehicle. Couldn’t justify the $15k difference over my Pilot Elite.
I traded a bunch of Hyundai’s and Kia’s. No thank you.

Have QX60 three years. Great so far. However this car depreciates greatly by the 2nd year. Great for the long haul as is our RDX if you can compromise a little space.

If you want a car that has high costs for maintaining it when it is not in the shop and low resale, that is the car for you. The best suv at the present time is a new Teluride or Palisade. It is not even close.
I’ve tried to push telluride and palisades but wife just hasn’t shown interest. I can get those at a solid discount too, have a friend who can hook me up. I even liked the VW atlas.

I returned the LR and will not ever consider it. Right now I’m trying a BMW X5, but it seems the real finalists are MDX, QX60, and Lexus. The QX60 does depreciate quite surprisingly, the MDX holds value better than any other. We just got rid of our 2011 Mazda CX-9, 203,000 miles and needed nothing but window motors replaced.

I’ve tried to push telluride and palisades but wife just hasn’t shown interest. I can get those at a solid discount too, have a friend who can hook me up. I even liked the VW atlas.

I returned the LR and will not ever consider it. Right now I’m trying a BMW X5, but it seems the real finalists are MDX, QX60, and Lexus. The QX60 does depreciate quite surprisingly, the MDX holds value better than any other. We just got rid of our 2011 Mazda CX-9, 203,000 miles and needed nothing but window motors replaced.
X5 looks cool but isn’t any roomier than a rx

Gee, that sounds like a vehicle I would get again. OF course I don't care about the nameplate.........

I have 2020 Cadillac XT5. My second XT5.
Loaded no 3rd seat. May want to explore new Cadillac XT6. A little bigger than the 5.
My last 4 SUV’s have been Cadillac.
I have been very pleased with the Cadillac suv.

the new Genesis SUV is great, I'm told. If you are going west, in serious backcountry though, Toyota is always the choice of the Outfitters

I have 2020 Cadillac XT5. My second XT5.
Loaded no 3rd seat. May want to explore new Cadillac XT6. A little bigger than the 5.
My last 4 SUV’s have been Cadillac.
I have been very pleased with the Cadillac suv.
My current XT5 is four years old and 55,000 and have had not a single issue. Has a caddie SRX before this XT5 and kept is 7 years and 92,000 and again not a single repair. The big plus - caddies are timed to take regular gas not premium or mid grade like most of the vehicles mentioned above. I think going forward though most will be EVs.

my options
Acura MDX
Infiniti QX60
Audi Q7

You’d be surprised at how “un” American some American Cars are in content. Will tell you on window sticker. Also some German and Japanese products are more “American” than you think.
It’s more of a question of what country gets the profits, and where the company is headquartered, that makes the difference for me.

Reactions: pitt90seven
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT