ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Le'veon Bell

What's your opinion on no deal getting done?

• Bell is just greedy.

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • I don't blame the guy. He's playing it smart.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • James Conner time!

Votes: 25 33.3%

• Total voters
Mixed emotions.

I don't feel any of these guys in any of these sports are worth what they are being paid, but the market value is the market value and it is not my money so that is that on this front.

With that said, he is the best RB in the league and this position is notorious for having a short shelf life. He is trying to get the most amount of money he can, what is smart, but I think he is trying to get every last penny which I think is greedy.

With all that said I want to see Conner more. In today's NFL with the rules and how they are enforced, RBs is not the position it was in the 70's 80's and 90's. RB are not the high $ position it used to be so i would rather see Conner and another capable back split the carries and spend that money elsewhere on team needs.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Steelers playing it perfectly. Get one of Bell's last good years for the franchise tag, while their window is still open, then dump him like a spoiled fish with no strings attached.

RB is a position you can replenish quickly in the draft. As stated above, not as valuable in today's NFL.

I havent seen one Steeler fan that thinks we should pay him 17 mil that isnt a complete Pitt hater and doesnt want Conner starting.

Do I think Bell is better... definitely. I think Bell is better than Conner now, and probably in the future. However, I dont think 17 mil for a RB is smart money at all, not one bit.

Last season's two SB teams both had a running-back-by-committee approach and both running back corps totaled around $2 million against the team's respective cap. No way should the Steelers have multiple seasons with Bell making around $17 million or more.

In 2019, Conner can be the power guy, Samuels possibly the third-down back and the team would have find a speedy, shifty guy.

Reactions: Farnox
My thoughts on it:

- In terms of what Bell can do rushing and receiving, he’s the best RB in the league
- With that being said, he’s not worth what he’s asking. You should never commit that type of $ to a RB. Most expendable position in football
- He’s also not worth it when you factor in injuries, off-field headaches, etc.
- Like someone mentioned above, Steelers played it perfectly. Run him into the ground this year and let him go
- I think they prepared for this in drafted the RB from NC St. He is also a dynamic back that can run and catch
- Honestly, if he decides to hold out into the season, trade him and get something in return. Don’t need that type of distraction on a Super Bowl contending team

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Also, here's why you don't invest that type of money into a RB:

Of the last five Super Bowl-winning teams, only one has featured a running back in the top 10 league-wide in rushing yards. At one point, the Patriots won the Super Bowl featured a team-leading RB that finished 47th in yards.

Much better to invest that type of money into the defense. That's a much better indicator of team success. Of the past five Super Bowl champions, four have featured a top 10 defense, including three in the top five.

Dump the DumbBell!!

Add another up and coming young RB to work with Conner.

As much as I like Conner he hasnt proved that he can get through a season without injury.

"it's five o/clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
He should fire his agent. He’s going to end up signing a 4 year deal with the Steelers for even less money. No way any team offers him more than 10 a year with more than 35 mill guaranteed.

I’d like to see what our new OC is going to do with him. He’s an exciting player no doubt but we will have gotten his best years. Steelers played this one well.

He should fire his agent. He’s going to end up signing a 4 year deal with the Steelers for even less money. No way any team offers him more than 10 a year with more than 35 mill guaranteed.
His agent is tied up right now but he'll speak with him once he's available.
WV-man-with-Huntingtons-Disease-arrested-Justice-for-Jeffery-Bane-FB-800x430.jpg

I don't think Bell is greedy, but he is being stupid. Nobody is going to pay him what he thinks he's worth next year. He'll have 6 years of punishment and a lot touches on his body. Who is going to invest $85m over 5 years on that?

My thoughts? It scares the hell out of me. What does? Bell leaving you say? No. That the Steelers reportedly offered him a 5 year $70 million deal. Are they nuts?

Look nothing against Bell. But the position doesn't warrant it, and certainly a 6th year RB doesn't warrant it. Stupid. The Steelers are lucky that Bell is so greedy and misguided. He just did them a huge favor. A huge favor.

Nothing personal against Bell, I am not even talking about the suspensions or the budding rap career (ahem), just strictly based on a 6 year RB at 26 getting money when his production and output went down last year, which is a key metric. Running Backs don't fade away, they burn out quickly.

So.....than you L'veon, The Steelers will use you this year and then you can chase your big contract.

Also, here's why you don't invest that type of money into a RB:

Of the last five Super Bowl-winning teams, only one has featured a running back in the top 10 league-wide in rushing yards. At one point, the Patriots won the Super Bowl featured a team-leading RB that finished 47th in yards.

Much better to invest that type of money into the defense. That's a much better indicator of team success. Of the past five Super Bowl champions, four have featured a top 10 defense, including three in the top five.

To your point, Bell’s playoff resume is garbage due to injury.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
To your point, Bell’s playoff resume is garbage due to injury.
That’s why you almost want him to sit out first 4-5 games. Keep him fresh for December.

Steelers schedule is weak at first, back heavy. Hope he holds out for at least 4 games.

Pro atheletes = greedy pigs.
Pro atheletes = not rap stars.

They're not greedy.

They're paid what people or organizations offer them. Sometimes those people or organizations offering payment are wrong by alot and sometimes they're not.

If someone offered you $ 17mill for posting on this ridiculous free tootball board you'd take it! Right!

People will be paid what others think they're worth! It's called value. Value is sometimes quantifiable and sometimes it's preception regardless it determines how much money an organization will pay someone for their services.

Creat value for someone and they might offer you $ 17mill.

Last edited:
Reactions: vietvet1
Personally, I think that delay and wait for the hole to open up style of running only plays well in Pittsburgh anyways as they scheme for it and is conducive to a lot of the trap plays they are known for....I can see this guy being a flop of "Penn State running backs in the NFL" proportions should he go elsewhere...He stays in Pittsburgh he probably makes the Hall, he goes elsewhere he pulls a Gen MacArthur and slowly fades away..

I don't think Bell is greedy, but he is being stupid. Nobody is going to pay him what he thinks he's worth next year. He'll have 6 years of punishment and a lot touches on his body. Who is going to invest $85m over 5 years on that?

There are a lot of stupid franchises run by egotistical owners who think this could be a good idea. I mean think about it. It is a salary capped league. It has a draft where you have immediate help in many cases, the worst records always draft first. And the same teams seem to be always on the top and the same teams always seem to be on the bottom. Despite the bottom team's built in advantages. Think of it this way, when did Cleveland regain their franchise? Like 1998? 20 years? They have not won a playoff game. In those 20 years, every year, every round they have selected ahead of the Steelers.

RB is the most overrated position in sports. Yes, Bell is a great talent and one of the best in the NFL but I am not sure he gets the Steelers any more wins than James Conner or some other random RB. This country produces a massive oversupply of "good enough" RB's perhaps more than any other position in all of sports.

RB is the most overrated position in sports. Yes, Bell is a great talent and one of the best in the NFL but I am not sure he gets the Steelers any more wins than James Conner or some other random RB. This country produces a massive oversupply of "good enough" RB's perhaps more than any other position in all of sports.

I dunno about most overrated, but yeah I definitely agree with your take on the position. A great RB, truly great RB can elevate a team, but when you have a great OL, a great QB and a great WR, you merely need a "good enough" RB

Reactions: Jpripper88
I'm not too crazy about laying out $14.5 million this year for a RB. It's too much. But I don't blame Bell. The Steelers tagged him twice and he'd be silly to not try to set the market. NFL revenue is up 5% and he could easily see his career end before he even plays a down this year with a goofy injury.

Last season's two SB teams both had a running-back-by-committee approach and both running back corps totaled around $2 million against the team's respective cap. No way should the Steelers have multiple seasons with Bell making around $17 million or more.

In 2019, Conner can be the power guy, Samuels possibly the third-down back and the team would have find a speedy, shifty guy.

Precisely why you don't tie up that much cap money on a running back. In today's game, you cap money is better spent on other parts of the team. Let him leave and sure up the defense.

I don't blame Bell, at all. I think the Steelers are dumb to even offer what they have offered. This is a textbook situation for using the franchise tag and running him until his legs fall off. Then someone else can guarantee him $35M+. The Steelers will draft another RB next year and see if that player or Conner rise to the challenge.

They're not greedy. They take what people offer them. Sometimes those people are wrong by alot and sometimes they're not.
If someone offered you $ 17mill for posting on this ridiculous free tootball board you'd take it! Right!

People will be paid what others think they're worth! It's called value. Value sometimes quantifiable and sometimes it's preception regardless it determines how much money an organization will pay someone for their services.

What can you offer them in return for $ 17 mill.

Creat value for yourself and someone might offer you $ 17mill.

would this be value...
I'll run the length of a football field and you 100 yards away with a pistol and let you shoot at me twice...

The NFL owners pay Roger Goodell 29 million a year to do whatever he does, which is ???
It doesn't matter what you or I think about Goodell the NFL owners think he adds value to the extent of $ 29 mill per year or they wouldn't pay him that much.

Noone is ordering them to pay him $ 29 mill.
It's the free market.
Go out and do what Goodell does and see if you can get someone to pay you $ 29 mill.
One way to express your displeasure is to not patronize the NFL.
Write to Goodell and NFL owners and let them know what you think!

The NFL does not give a rat’s keister about what you or I think about them as long as the money keeps rollin’ in, but your suggestion about not patronizing the NFL is a good one.
Football is probably in a death spiral anyway, with CTE, so grab that cash while you can.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT