ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Lonzo Ball Sexist Rant

yeah, yeah I know he is an idiot (entertaining though) of the highest sort.... but could someone tell me what was sexist about this? I guess I'm a backward right wing neanderthal., but I don't see it.

http://nypost.com/2017/05/17/lavar-ball-attacks-fox-sports-reporter-in-sexist-rant/

oops, meant Lavar Ball

OK, it seems like Leahy said something like she wouldn't wear something that said Big Baller because it was offensive to women. Those weren't her words. I didn't hear her words but Ball took offense to that. I think he was mostly ticked off that Leahy was "hating" on his company so he didn't give her any respect during the interview and was mean towards her. You could say the "stay in your lane" comment was sexist. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

From this snippet, its tough to tell if Leahy being a woman had anything to do with the way he treated Leahy. He also ripped Jason Whitlock in that interview.

I do think the name "Big Baller" is going to turn off some women but I doubt that will be the downfall of this company.

Maybe there's some context that I missed, but it struck me as being similar to T-Rump versus Megyn Kelly,

People need to just call the hell down and stop being so offended. BTW I say that as someone who thinks Lavar Ball is an absolute moron and will wish his son I'll just to see the whole schtick crumble. The soon gets no sympathy because he could just tell his Dad to shut up and stay out of his business.

Maybe there's some context that I missed, but it struck me as being similar to T-Rump versus Megyn Kelly,

Maybe. I think some people are sexist or racist without really thinking it or knowing it.....its just kind of "in them." I don't know if that's Ball or not. Don't know enough about him. It seemed like Leahy being a woman triggered something for him. Would he have acted that way toward a man? Don't know.

Here's a quick story that kind of illustrates my point. A friend of mine is an elementary school teacher. He playes D2 football, is like 6'3 and well built. He's the nicest guy in the world but for whatever reason he deals with absolutely 0 parent complaints. He says the parents constantly hound the female teachers while he'll go a full year without even 1 parent complaint. Now, maybe he's the best teacher ever and those female teachers are terrible. He says its because he's a guy. I dont think any parent says to themselves "I have a problem but I'm nervous to say something to this male teacher" or "I'm not afraid of this 5'3 120 pound woman so I'm going to rip her a new one" but its that built-in "inherent sexism" that causes people to act certain ways.

Maybe. I think some people are sexist or racist without really thinking it or knowing it.....its just kind of "in them." I don't know if that's Ball or not. Don't know enough about him. It seemed like Leahy being a woman triggered something for him. Would he have acted that way toward a man? Don't know.

Here's a quick story that kind of illustrates my point. A friend of mine is an elementary school teacher. He playes D2 football, is like 6'3 and well built. He's the nicest guy in the world but for whatever reason he deals with absolutely 0 parent complaints. He says the parents constantly hound the female teachers while he'll go a full year without even 1 parent complaint. Now, maybe he's the best teacher ever and those female teachers are terrible. He says its because he's a guy. I dont think any parent says to themselves "I have a problem but I'm nervous to say something to this male teacher" or "I'm not afraid of this 5'3 120 pound woman so I'm going to rip her a new one" but its that built-in "inherent sexism" that causes people to act certain ways.
You are on to something here. Inherent sexism was a factor in the country making a huge mistake a few months ago.

Nothing sexist there! Good MARKETING by LaVar. People are so sick of PC Culture that just getting hard into a woman's face in an ugly manner will get people fired up and sell MORE shoes.

Hey, if she can't stand to take the heat on the man's terms, maybe she belongs in a kitchen?

Reactions: bschulter
I'd argue guilt of sexism made it even possible for her to get that far.

True, if it went by MERIT, who DESERVES some of these jobs, like sideline reporter.... SHOULD BE ALL MEN! In basketball or soccer, sure some women have CRED, women played those sports, but NFL? CFB? Only men can relate to those sports in a real sense.

True, if it went by MERIT, who DESERVES some of these jobs, like sideline reporter.... SHOULD BE ALL MEN! In basketball or soccer, sure some women have CRED, women played those sports, but NFL? CFB? Only men can relate to those sports in a real sense.

This is a terrible argument. You are dumb.

No, I'm right, I have no shame to say the truth, in the face PC culture's BS.

I mean ya the men are the ones that play Football for example but it still doesn't mean women can't ask the players questions & stuff. Whether they should be able to go into the locker rooms is a dif issue.

I mean ya the men are the ones that play Football for example but it still doesn't mean women can't ask the players questions & stuff. Whether they should be able to go into the locker rooms is a dif issue.
In the NFL, it's definitely like an affirmative action set aside position. I have nothing against it. But in reality, a former player is more deserving of the position.

OK, it seems like Leahy said something like she wouldn't wear something that said Big Baller because it was offensive to women. Those weren't her words. I didn't hear her words but Ball took offense to that. I think he was mostly ticked off that Leahy was "hating" on his company so he didn't give her any respect during the interview and was mean towards her. You could say the "stay in your lane" comment was sexist. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

From this snippet, its tough to tell if Leahy being a woman had anything to do with the way he treated Leahy. He also ripped Jason Whitlock in that interview.

I do think the name "Big Baller" is going to turn off some women but I doubt that will be the downfall of this company.
"You could say the "stay in your lane" comment was sexist." Other than having no sexual or gender connotations whatsoever, how so? That is the problem. The media drives the silly narrative and folks just line up and are beaten down to the point of thinking "stay in your lane" could be sexist. In their case it was not a "could be" it was an "is". He could have said the exact same thing to a dude. He told another person to stay out of this and that is all.

I'd argue guilt of sexism made it even possible for her to get that far.

Men watch sports much more than women, the reason there are many female sideline reporters is because men like looming looking at attractive women. Don't get me wrong, I think these sideline reporters are qualified but the fact they are women give them an edge over a man because most men would rather see an attractive 28 year old woman giving an injury update than some dude.

"You could say the "stay in your lane" comment was sexist." Other than having no sexual or gender connotations whatsoever, how so? That is the problem. The media drives the silly narrative and folks just line up and are beaten down to the point of thinking "stay in your lane" could be sexist. In their case it was not a "could be" it was an "is". He could have said the exact same thing to a dude. He told another person to stay out of this and that is all.
Political correctness is one thing. Sexism and bigotry are another. His comment was sexist. Like calling blacks thugs is just a different way of saying N.... Stay in your lane is another way of saying don't meddle in things that don't concern you woman.

Political correctness is one thing. Sexism and bigotry are another. His comment was sexist. Like calling blacks thugs is just a different way of saying N.... Stay in your lane is another way of saying don't meddle in things that don't concern you woman.
Did it concern her? I have no idea, I didn't watch the link.

last time I checked words have meanings... stay in your lane means mind your own business.(male female or whatever alphabet soup label may be out there)...sorry the gal and you and the rest of the world took it otherwise...Thugs also has a definition....Time to get back to definitions and not emotions....geez, isn't society so much better now that everyone perceives offense in everything?...

Reactions: KiwiJeff
For those who have seen the clip, is it true he turned his back to her and refused to make eye contact? Paired with the "stay in your lane" comment, that is a bad look. I think it's made worse when you consider plenty of other (male) media figures have given him plenty of grief and he's clapped back in a goodnatured way.

For those who have seen the clip, is it true he turned his back to her and refused to make eye contact? Paired with the "stay in your lane" comment, that is a bad look. I think it's made worse when you consider plenty of other (male) media figures have given him plenty of grief and he's clapped back in a goodnatured way.

It is Lavar Ball & she seemed to be attacking him first so he wasn't too happy with her to begin with.

as I stated to begin with the guy is an idiot.... but I am not sure if he has been in a situation where he was talking to one male media figure face to face while another male reporter was chirping in his ear from behind him... The suggestion seems to be he would have been nice to Bruce Jenner interrupting him from the back of the room while he would have gone with "stay in your lane" for Catlynn Jenner....but in matters of social justice always assume the offense first....

But there are blacks that really are thugs. Those particular ones, you should be able to call thugs.

Just like there are white men with power who are privileged and also white men with no power who aren't. You shouldn't make across the board generalizations by race or gender.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jpripper88
Men watch sports much more than women, the reason there are many female sideline reporters is because men like looming looking at attractive women. Don't get me wrong, I think these sideline reporters are qualified but the fact they are women give them an edge over a man because most men would rather see an attractive 28 year old woman giving an injury update than some dude.

I agree with that. Just saying that I'm sure a lot of men, ex players would like those jobs too. Personally I don't care about any of the sideline interviews, I'll fast forward past that stuff if I have it on DVR.

You are on to something here. Inherent sexism was a factor in the country making a huge mistake a few months ago.

snow-flakes-o.gif

Reactions: KiwiJeff
Everyone is on an equal playing field. To even argue something is sexist takes away a woman's power of defending herself am I right? She can handle it .

Reactions: upj87
Everyone is on an equal playing field. To even argue something is sexist takes away a woman's power of defending herself am I right? She can handle it .
Great, now that that is settled onto Kevin Pillar in our new Orwellian universe heretofore not infringing on the sports galaxy...

Great, now that that is settled onto Kevin Pillar in our new Orwellian universe heretofore not infringing on the sports galaxy...
Being part Dutch and half Welsh, I know I am always offended when someone says welsh on bet, or let's go Dutch. I mean, what are they saying, we are all cheap. On the other hand, I didn't pay the $9 to join the site. Carry on.

SMF - gotta admit your last sentence made me laugh out loud.

Really? Since when? And then what does it mean if you use the word "thug" for any other race? Is it out of bounds in that context? C'mon. Not sure of anyone else, but I have no problem calling anyone a "thug" where it's deemed appropriate. (Like, Dion Phaneuf is a thug. ;))

Lonzo Ball seems like a good kid, never causes trouble or draws attention, seems to have his head on straight, just focuses on basketball. Then there's his dad, he's the exact opposite of all of that and legitimately might be one of the worst human beings on this planet.

He's the kind of guy I almost wonder if lonzo or his brothers got cut from their high school basketball team and it seemed their career was over, that lavar would walk out on him and go find a single mother with a really talented son. It's really sad he was such a nobody in the basketball world that he has to try and live the good life on the tails of his son. This guy can not go away quick enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: freddietee511
LaVar Ball seems like a good kid, never causes trouble or draws attention, seems to have his head on straight, just focuses on basketball. Then there's his dad, he's the exact opposite of all of that and legitimately might be one of the worst human beings on this planet.

He's the kind of guy I almost wonder if lavar or his brothers got cut from their high school basketball team and it seemed their career was over, that lonzo would walk out on him and go find a single mother with a really talented son. It's really sad he was such a nobody in the basketball world that he has to try and live the good life on the tails of his son. This guy can not go away quick enough.

Lavar is the dad not the kid.

Whoever created this post NEVER EDITED the heading so people now think Lonzo is the dad! Sad! ;)

My only problem with Lonzo, who is the son, is that he wears his hoodie up like all the time, even on TV interviews. Ok, and the fact that he's related to Lavar lol.

Whoever created this post NEVER EDITED the heading so people now think Lonzo is the dad! Sad! ;)

My only problem with Lonzo, who is the son, is that he wears his hoodie up like all the time, even on TV interviews. Ok, and the fact that he's related to Lavar lol.
Oh geez you're right lol. I honestly just looked at it and didn't realize I wrote the same thing. I'm obviously familiar with Lonzo the player, his dad I sometimes just forget his name because well.... I'd rather forget he ever opens his mouth on tv lol.

I did now edit mine tho haha good eye

Lonzo Ball seems like a good kid, never causes trouble or draws attention, seems to have his head on straight, just focuses on basketball. Then there's his dad, he's the exact opposite of all of that and legitimately might be one of the worst human beings on this planet.

I just hope that, given the apperently bizarre parenting he has been subjected to, that there isn't a Marinovichian fall in this kid's future.

Reactions: Pittx9
I just hope that, given the apperently bizarre parenting he has been subjected to, that there isn't a Marinovichian fall in this kid's future.

I don't think Lavar would care all that much, he'd just move on to his next kid.

Really? Since when? And then what does it mean if you use the word "thug" for any other race? Is it out of bounds in that context? C'mon. Not sure of anyone else, but I have no problem calling anyone a "thug" where it's deemed appropriate. (Like, Dion Phaneuf is a thug. ;))
Funny story. So I'm helping my wife prepare one of several side dishes for a surprise 50th birthday for a friend YESTERDAY. The dish needed dry mustard. We were out. My wife asked me to go to the store to get some. I suggested we just use the Heinz yellow mustard that was in the fridge. She said, and I quote "STAY IN YOUR LANE." Please go get some dry mustard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT