ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Miami Marlins forced to cancel game due to COVID-19 outbreak...

Exactly ! Now you have three teams involved. The marlins and Phillies and the Orioles who won’t have a game to play tonight and most likely tomorrow. Even if the marlins somehow are able to return to Miami and field a team there will be makeup games down the road. That’s the least of the MLB worries obviously but this type of team thing sets off an huge cascade of events. Yikes !

Reactions: TDinTheSnow
Was only a matter of time. This will happen in football too.

I had a game on the other night. I think it was the Pirate game but I’m not sure. The announcer said the manager of one team told his squad you can do your routines. If you wanna go out for coffee in the morning, go. Just be smart and wear a mask, etc. So this was bound to happen.

Not too confident in the NHL or NBA bubble either. They stand a better chance but I’d still bet there will be a breakout somewhere. Although things are certainly better off in Canada so maybe they’ll be ok.

Meanwhile the NHL announced zero positive tests upon arrival in the Toronto and Edmonton bubbles.

Reactions: HOF Coach
fl-hyde-marlins-man-column-1008-20151007-002

Reactions: ratking17
I had it in my head that there would be no sports until fall 2021. Then MLB actually started its season and I got some hope that maybe things are about to improve, but the Covid cloud has descended and will cancel the MLB season in perhaps the next week. I wake up every day hoping to read that a vaccine is developed, tested, and ready for immediate distribution.

Reactions: pierre93
How is MLB handling this? Forfeits? Marathon series later?

They have announced the games as "postponed". I would guess they try to make them up as doubleheaders somewhere down the line. There might also be a situation where two teams off days match up and they make a game or two up that way.

Incidentally, none of the Phillies tested positive (yet), so they may be in the clear. They are retesting everyone, and if they still get no positives they are probably going to play tomorrow.

They have announced the games as "postponed". I would guess they try to make them up as doubleheaders somewhere down the line. There might also be a situation where two teams off days match up and they make a game or two up that way.

Incidentally, none of the Phillies tested positive (yet), so they may be in the clear. They are retesting everyone, and if they still get no positives they are probably going to play tomorrow.

It presents an interesting problem, though. You had a team unwilling to play games, too.

The Marlins have been staying at a hotel in Philadelphia. Is anyone thinking about the hotel’s employees?

How is MLB handling this? Forfeits? Marathon series later?

What I've heard, and this is naturally still in flux but this is from a pretty good insider, is that all games until Sunday are postponed and will be made up as possible and that starting on Monday the Marlins will be forced to field a team from their pool of COVID negative players.

It's a nightmare scenario for the team and the league but I don't really know what other options that they have.

It's a nightmare scenario for the team and the league but I don't really know what other options that they have.

There's a reason that teams have 30 man rosters (for the first couple weeks) and another 30 guys training at their off site facility. And this is it.

No one expected a scenario where 15 Major League Baseball players on one team would be afflicted at the same time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT