ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New hospital rankings, UPMC #12

CrazyPaco

Athletic Director
Jul 5, 2001
UPMC Presby-Shadyside's streak of being listed in US New's honor roll of hospitals (top 15-20 of 5,000+ hospitals in the US) hits 17 years.

UPMC is up one spot over last year to #12, and back to where they were two years ago.

If Magee-Womens Hospital was included with Presby-Shadyside's rank (adding 14 points to UPMC's score), UPMC would actually be ranked #10 and a just a hair behind Penn's HUP. This also doesn't account for Children's Hospital's #7 ranking since pediatric hospitals are ranked separately.

Here's how UPMC did in the speciality rankings compared to the prior year:
Cancer #23 (up 2)
Cardiology & Heart Surgery #19 (up 11)
Diabetes & Endocrinology #32 (unranked last year)
Ear, Nose & Throat #6 (same)
Gastroenterology & GI Surgery #6 (up 1)
Geriatrics #12 (down 1)
Nephrology #33 (down 1)
Neurology & Neurosurgery #19 (down 2)
Orthopedics #11 (down 1)
Psychiatry #11 (down 2)
Pulmonology #7 (up 4)
Rehabilitation #11 (same)
Rheumatology #9 (down 1)
Urology #19 (up 13)
Gynecology #12 (down 3, Magee-Womens Hospital)
Ophthalmology Unranked (same)

UPMC also achieved High Performing status in all 9 evaluated procedures: Abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, aortic valve surgery, COPD, Colon cancer surgery, heart bypass surgery, heart failure, hip replacement, knee replacement, and lung cancer surgery.

Here's the complete ranking of Pennsylvania hospitals:
1. HUP (Penn) (11 specialties ranked, 9 high performing procedures)
2. UPMC Presby-Shadyside (14 specialties (not including Magee), 9 procedures)
3. Thomas Jefferson (11 specialties, 7 procedures)
4. Lehigh Valley (5 specialties, 9 procedures)
5. Lancaster (2 specialties, 9 procedures)
6. Penn State-Hershey (1 specialty, 9 procedures)
7. Abington (1 specialty, 7 procedures)
8. Reading (1 specialty, 5 procedures)
9. West Penn (1 specialty, 1 procdure)
10. Lankenau (9 procedures)
11. Pinnacle (9 procedures)
12. UPMC Hamot (7 procedures)
12. Bryn Mawr (7 procedures)
12. Chester County (5 procedures)
15. St. Luke's (6 procedures)
16. Geisinger (7 procedures)
16. Paoli (7 procedures)
18. UPMC St. Margaret (5 procedures)
18. Riddle (5 procedures)
20. UPMC Passavant (5 procedures)
20. St. Clair (5 procedures)
20. Lehigh Valley (4 procedures)
23. Excela (4 procedures)
23. Holy Spirit (4 procedures)
23. St. Mary (4 procedures)
23. St. Vincent (4 procedures)
27. Conemaugh (4 procedures)

other unranked notables in PA:
Allegheny General (unranked, 2 procedures)
UPMC Altoona (unranked, 2 procedures)
UPMC East (unranked, 2 procedures)
UPMC McKeesport (unranked, 2 procedures)
UPMC Mercy (unranked, 2 procedures)
UPMC Northwest (unranked, 1 procedure)
Jameson (now UPMC; unranked, 1 procedure)
UPMC Bedford (unranked)
UPMC Horizon (unranked)
Kane (UPMC Hamot affiliate, unranked)
Susquehanna Health (UPMC merger agreement, unranked)

Last edited:
I don't care. It is BS the bullying they do for patients and employees. I had to switch to AHN because of their petulance. I have BC/BS which is usually tops in any market, except here.

I see you're knee deep in the SEIU/Highmark consortia paid attack propaganda.

Ya it's all highmark 100%. ;).

It's funny I have family members on both side of the fence and it feels like politics.

Each side refusing to listen to the other and each side denying any culpability.

Ya it's all highmark 100%. ;).

It's funny I have family members on both side of the fence and it feels like politics.

Each side refusing to listen to the other and each side denying any culpability.

Didn't say that strawman. But if people followed healthcare, they might actually have an idea why we are where we are. And yes, it is largely on Highmark bucking the breaking of their decades long monopoly in insurance. There is a reason system after system has approached UPMC to merge. Google Geisinger if you want to see the view on Highmark from the other side of the state.

Last edited:
Didn't say that strawman. But if people followed healthcare, they might actually have an idea why we are were we are. And yes, it is largely on Highmark bucking the breaking of their decades long monopoly in insurance. There is a reason system after system has approached UPMC to merge. Google Geisinger if you want to see the view on Highmark from the other side of the state.

You implied it.

I've followed this issue just fine. Like I said I have relatives in high level positions at both health systems. Both sides have been wrong and greedy at times and anyone that is impartial would concede that. People want to merge with upmc because they offer superior health care. And long term those with a superior product almost always survive over those that don't.

Reactions: pittdan77 and bwh05
You implied it.

I've followed this issue just fine. Like I said I have relatives in high level positions at both health systems. Both sides have been wrong and greedy at times and anyone that is impartial would concede that. People want to merge with upmc because they offer superior health care. And long term those with a superior product almost always survive over those that don't.

No, I stated that there has been (not so much now but over the prior several years) a massive paid propaganda campaign run by Highmark in part through the SEIU. That includes paid demonstrators and paid web site news commentators. It's not even hard to follow if you click the links on the small print of some of the websites that they set up to oppose every UPMC affiliation agreement that comes up. Stating the fact of that propaganda campaign doesn't imply fault. There is fault on both sides which often happens when both sides are highly competitive and stand in the way of each other's long-term strategies. But this all started back in the late 1990s with the launch of the Tri-State Health System.

First, you have to take a step back and understand why there is so much consolidation in the industry going on throughout the entire country in the first place. Most probably know this, but individual hospitals and small systems now absolutely have to seek larger partners to gain leverage for their reimbursement and contract supplier negotiations. Otherwise they die because they are squeezed out of any meaningful operating margin that allows them to reinvest in their facilities and staff, and that became especially magnified when Medicare reimbursements were slashed over the last decade. That was especially true in Western PA because Highmark had a real monopoly...not the one made-up one espoused by UPMC opponents. Others that have lived in locations where there has always been insurance competition can testify to that. This is also why provider consolidation really first took off in Western PA, in the late 90s, because Highmark had free reign to squeeze local hospitals before it become fashionable elsewhere due to the lack of any free-market checks. It's always partly why Pitt spun off UPMC into a separate entity, in order to shield the university from financial dangers facing hospitals in that environment. And at this early time, people forget that there was very real competition between the nascent UPMC and AHREF, and the subsequent disaster brought about by AHREF own mismanagement that led to what is still the largest health care bankruptcy in the nation's history. The reason UPMC has a 60% market share in Pittsburgh (only 30% in Western PA) isn't because it went out and gobbled everything up. That is a complete mischaracterization of how it unfolded.

UPMC's system grew out of the before mentioned 1990s Tri-state Health System where many of the local hospitals that are in the current UPMC system banded together to counteract Highmark. Renaming it "UPMC Health System" (no longer used) just formalized the marketing. UPMC Health Plan was launched as a tool to try to chip away at Allegheny's monopoloy, and plans provided by academic providers was unprecedented at the time nationally and considered extremely risky (although now widely copied). But UPMC Health Plan has always been, and has never hidden the fact, that it is a closed health plan system. If you want to see how this is different than Highmark that was (and is) generally marketed as an open plan, just google articles about Exela, Geissinger, and even recently Jameson, to read about what non-UPMC providers go through when dealing with Highmark. The reason there is an abhorrence to contracting with Highmark, now that they are invested in their own provider network, is the precedent of their previous actions of playing games with reimbursement rates and patient steering tactics.

But to the point about why hospitals seek out UPMC, it isn't just because it offers superior health care or for benefits derived in reimbursement contracts. Hell, there are other health care systems out there with just as good of reputations or even larger systems that these hospitals can merge with or affiliate with: systems like the Cleveland Clinic, Duke Lifepoint, or Kaiser. All these hospitals, like Hamot and Altoona, have choices, especially given the consolidation-happy state of health care today. There is a reason that they fight tooth and nail to become part of UPMC like Jameson recently has, and before them Hamot and Altoona. There is a reason Susquehanna Health is the latest to have picked UPMC over choices in the East, including Temple and Penn.

The biggest is that UPMC allows the existing hospitals to maintain control of their boards...UPMC typically appoints 1/3 third of a local board which essentially allows retention of local control. The hospitals get representation on UPMC's board as well (which is divided up as 1/3 picked by UPMC, 1/3 system hospital representatives, and 1/3 Pitt appointees). And while UPMC manages the hospitals and that can cause some inevitable culture shock whenever change is implemented, the hospitals still truly remain responsive to their particular location because they are governed locally. The operational management is world class, and has been exported and copied across the world, so that expertise is generally welcomed by open arms by the existing hospital boards, but they retain local control that I've not seen any other system involved in these transactions offer. The second is that UPMC isn't absorbing them just to funnel patients to Presby. In fact, it is just the opposite. They make $100s of millions in investments in these hospitals' facilities and staff. The idea is to make them into significant regional medical hubs. They add advanced services, like the first kidney transplant program in Erie and a pre- and post- operative transplant clinic in Altoona. Other suitors promise upgrades too, but UPMC's are generally longer term and more significant operationally for the location, and as I said, UPMC allows these hospitals to retain significantly more local control than any other parent system I've ever heard of. These local and regional hospitals get major investments in facilities, faculty, and procedures. UPMC gets increased leverage to take to the negotiating table of insurers and increases its brand and access to clinical data (that is also a boon to Pitt, which also gets $100s of millions per year in direct support to its health science schools).

So while it is nice that UPMC does have a burgeoning world class reputation for care, it isn't like it is on the reputation level of Partners, Cleveland Clinic, or Mayo...which are UPMC chief competitors on the global stage. But what UPMC offers locally in building meaning health care networks for localities is essentially unmatched anywhere else in the country where consolidation is taking place.

Last edited:
Didn't say that strawman. But if people followed healthcare, they might actually have an idea why we are were we are. And yes, it is largely on Highmark bucking the breaking of their decades long monopoly in insurance. There is a reason system after system has approached UPMC to merge. Google Geisinger if you want to see the view on Highmark from the other side of the state.

As I get older I choose to spend less time arguing about things that don't matter day to day in my life. And I don't have the time and energy to write a ten paragraph retort.

You made down excellent points and really explained simply and eloquently why there is so much merger.

But you stated earlier that Highmark was the one that bulked when there monopoly was threatened which imho isn't true. Highmark and upmc had a joint monopoly. Highmark continuously "greased" upmc and both because of their networks kept competitors at bay. Not until Highmark upset the apple cart by purchasing west penn did the we see a rift jeopardizing health care for western pa and beyond. And while your "propaganda campaign" (commercials etc) might have been a low blow upmc has often times used threat and hostage techniques (seniors...cancer) at scare tactics to improve its position

Reactions: bwh05
As I get older I choose to spend less time arguing about things that don't matter day to day in my life. And I don't have the time and energy to write a ten paragraph retort.

You made down excellent points and really explained simply and eloquently why there is so much merger.

But you stated earlier that Highmark was the one that bulked when there monopoly was threatened which imho isn't true. Highmark and upmc had a joint monopoly. Highmark continuously "greased" upmc and both because of their networks kept competitors at bay. Not until Highmark upset the apple cart by purchasing west penn did the we see a rift jeopardizing health care for western pa and beyond. And while your "propaganda campaign" (commercials etc) might have been a low blow upmc has often times used threat and hostage techniques (seniors...cancer) at scare tactics to improve its position

There was certainly an uneasy co-existence that existed between the two before West Penn Allegheny collapsed. I wouldn't call it a joint monopoly because most of the collusion that was alleged in court was tossed, twice, and only a small group that involved a for-profit Highmark subsidiary was settled. And the term monopoly doesn't apply. Technically in economics, you have to have over 60% share before you can be considered to have market dominance (and that is not a synonym for a monopoly). Over 50% is considered to have market power. At the time (2010), UPMC had a 55% Allegheny County (30% Western PA) provider market share. For sure, Highmark had over 65% share back then in Western PA, and the lawsuit alleged that it had up to 80% market share. I'm not sure where it was exactly for Highmark and for what local region. Highmark isn't exactly what you'd call transparent (no Sarbanes-Oxley compliance like UPMC).

For instance, Nike has a 60% share of the running shoe market and Google has 63% of the search engine market. They aren't considered monopolies.

There certainly has been tit for tat and not always pretty. Big statements have come from both sides. But I believe specialty facilities like Hillman and Children's have always been excluded from talk about not renewing the contracts, at least by UPMC. However, statements that contracts for facilities like Presby not being renewed for Highmark were only not followed through on due to Highmark's legal maneuvers and court mandates. Eventually the divorce will come. I don't know if that is a threat rather than a statement of eventuality.

I will say this, the issue with Medicare Advantage was a low point in this back and forth and that was mostly on UPMC. Bad move by them.

Reactions: bobfree
So everyone is cool with UPMC closing its Braddock Hospital, then building a brand new one in Monroeville literally less than a mile from a perfectly acceptable non-UPMC hospital. I thought that hospitals were supposed to be non-profits looking out for the healthcare of all of the region's citizens, not just the wealthy ones who they can extort for large sums of money. I disgusts me at the salaries paid to non-medical executives at all of these hospitals. Non-profit my ass. Also why does UPMC refuse to make PILOT payments to the City of Pittsburgh, when I know many of their affiliate hospitals make PILOT payments in their respective communities. I know, greed, and it is disgusting coming from a hospital.

Take the insurance part out of the equation via universal health coverage, then let the providers compete based on service.

I don't care. It is BS the bullying they do for patients and employees. I had to switch to AHN because of their petulance. I have BC/BS which is usually tops in any market, except here.
Highmark is still the biggest insurer. They're giving up market share, justifiably, every year to UPMC Health Plan & the nat'l firms like UHC. Highmark service is awful....UPMC topnotch.

So everyone is cool with UPMC closing its Braddock Hospital, then building a brand new one in Monroeville literally less than a mile from a perfectly acceptable non-UPMC hospital. I thought that hospitals were supposed to be non-profits looking out for the healthcare of all of the region's citizens, not just the wealthy ones who they can extort for large sums of money. I disgusts me at the salaries paid to non-medical executives at all of these hospitals. Non-profit my ass. Also why does UPMC refuse to make PILOT payments to the City of Pittsburgh, when I know many of their affiliate hospitals make PILOT payments in their respective communities. I know, greed, and it is disgusting coming from a hospital.
Yes.
Old hospitals are too expensive to rehab.

Take the insurance part out of the equation via universal health coverage, then let the providers compete based on service.
LOL....because the gov't is more efficient???

I see you're knee deep in the SEIU/Highmark consortia paid attack propaganda.

No you manic depressive. I have to switch doctors and all of that because UPMC will not cover me anymore. Like I said, in most markets, Blue Cross is the best available usually. Not here. My company is based out of South Carolina, so they chose Carolina Blue Shield as their carrier. I am in sales, so I am a remote employee, and well that's how it works.

Sorry that sometimes everything Pitt does is not perfect and wonderful for all.

Without PITT & UPMC, Pittsburgh would not have been able to reinvent itself. If people believe otherwise, they are fooling themselves. It's sad that the natives take their hatred for Big Steel and U.S. Air out on UPMC.

That's not the point. Thanks for playing.

Highmark is still the biggest insurer. They're giving up market share, justifiably, every year to UPMC Health Plan & the nat'l firms like UHC. Highmark service is awful....UPMC topnotch.

I know and wish I was on UPMC. Not criticizing their services, criticizing this divide. I have no choice in my carrier. I explained my situation above. I don't want to switch, but I am forced to. In any other market, likely this is not a problem.

No you manic depressive. I have to switch doctors and all of that because UPMC will not cover me anymore. Like I said, in most markets, Blue Cross is the best available usually. Not here. My company is based out of South Carolina, so they chose Carolina Blue Shield as their carrier. I am in sales, so I am a remote employee, and well that's how it works.

Sorry that sometimes everything Pitt does is not perfect and wonderful for all.
It isn't UPMC's fault. But rant on.....

Yes.
Old hospitals are too expensive to rehab.

Then why not build the new hospital in Braddock? There is plenty of available, cheap real estate down there, and there isn't another hospital a mile down the road. That would make sense if UPMC was actually in the business of caring for the sick and needy. But unfortunately the only thing UPMC's non-profit board members care about is their out-sized bonuses.

Sure it is. At least partially.
They chose to battle the BC/BS monopoly by starting the Health Plan. If your employer was located in W. PA, maybe you'd have UPMC coverage.If you're not in NYC this weekend, you want see a Broadway show.
Just bad luck, no one's fault.

Then why not build the new hospital in Braddock? There is plenty of available, cheap real estate down there, and there isn't another hospital a mile down the road. That would make sense if UPMC was actually in the business of caring for the sick and needy. But unfortunately the only thing UPMC's non-profit board members care about is their out-sized bonuses.
Probably because that community can't support a hospital .
I'd wager upmc McKeesport is shut down soon too.

You can't give care to patients when you're losing money .
Patient payer mix is extremely important.

I know and wish I was on UPMC. Not criticizing their services, criticizing this divide. I have no choice in my carrier. I explained my situation above. I don't want to switch, but I am forced to. In any other market, likely this is not a problem.
Recruits - we are the complete opposite of you. We have a gold standard (nationally, not locally) Aetna plan that for years wasn't in the whole UPMC-Highmark universe. We made it out fine - there are plenty of other alternatives here. Don't despair.

The problem with UPMC Braddock is that more people in that area chose other hospitals, so they effectively made the decision for UPMC.

Now UPMC is a non profit, so closing one hospital because it was not profitable is another story.

Recruits - we are the complete opposite of you. We have a gold standard (nationally, not locally) Aetna plan that for years wasn't in the whole UPMC-Highmark universe. We made it out fine - there are plenty of other alternatives here. Don't despair.

Looking for a new GP. Frustrated with options.

My employer switched from BC/BS last year to Aetna. What a difference!!!!! Highmark was a pain to deal with.

They are saving that land to build the New Pitt Stadium.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: Pitt MD
"CrazyPaco, post: 1454462, member: 160"]

Here's how UPMC did in the speciality rankings compared to the prior year:
Cancer #23 (up 2)
Excellent! If Penn State has a losing season I can see the following Check Ins. after all PSU Franklin turned to a former Pitt Coach to create new offense??

Cardiology & Heart Surgery #19 PSU President Barron
Diabetes & Endocrinology #32 PSU OLC Limegrover
Ear, Nose & Throat #6 Many PSU Fans In Fights In Stands
Gastroenterology & GI Surgery #6 BWI Cultists
Geriatrics #12 Sandusky & Spanier
Nephrology #33 PSU Players After Games
Neurology & Neurosurgery #19 Franko
Orthopedics #11 PSU Running Backs
Psychiatry #11 Trustee Reform Meeting
Pulmonology #7 AD & Staff
Rehabilitation #11 Former Player Association
Rheumatology #9 Former Second Mile Board
Urology #19 BWI Cultists & Drunks In Stands
Gynecology #12 PSU OL Check Up
Ophthalmology Franklin's Vision

The problem with UPMC Braddock is that more people in that area chose other hospitals, so they effectively made the decision for UPMC.

Now UPMC is a non profit, so closing one hospital because it was not profitable is another story.

People need to learn that any non-profit that doesn't generate a positive operating margin (e.g. profit) is absolutely on the path to shutting down, and that is what has happened to 100s of hospitals across the nation. You have to generate positive revenue to reinvest in equipment, technology, and faculty, not to mention simple infrastructure maintenance. UPMC kept Braddock open for years longer than it otherwise would have, despite chronic problem of empty beds, plus they had another hospital less than a 6 mile drive away that they implemented free shuttle service to. No one remembers that UPMC offered a fully equipped Braddock for free to any takers, and not even the loudest mouth, Allegheny, took them up on it. UPMC's enemies like to quote big revenue numbers as something meaningful, taken out of the context of a 20+ hospital system with meaningful for-profit subsidiaries and international ventures (that yes, pay taxes like any other for-profit company) that are critical to offsetting UPMC historically dangerously narrow domestic operating margins.

In fact, according to Moody's, the average operating margin for non-profits hospitals & systems in 2015 was 3.4% and a 10.3% median operating cash flow margin. UPMC's operating margin in 2015 was 1.9% and a operating cash flow margin of 6.8%. As I mentioned, UPMC has always operating on a critically narrow operating margin that is only offset by the fact that they're so large of a system with a diversified operational portfolio (like its above-mentioned international division) and fairly good investment income return. Moody's calls UPMC margins "weak," even when including all of those components. Worse yet, when you eliminate investment income and IPO gains from its for profit divisions, UPMC had a 0.0% operating margin and 4.9% operating cash flow margin. Moody's latest assessment states that "these results compare unfavorably" to the rest of the similarly situated non-profit health care industry.

When I say people have to learn more about the health care industry, and not just gobble up the propaganda from Highmark and the SEIU, this is exactly what I mean.

Last edited:
Thanks Paco.

I am interested in all information relating to PITT or UPMC and rankings with respect to our peer institutions.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Now that is funny. From someone who works in healthcare there is no reason to have the government any more involved in anything. The Unaffordable Care Act is abysmal. General MDs are going away, if you want to make any money you have to be a specialist so now there is a shortage of primary physicians.

People need to learn that any non-profit that doesn't generate a positive operating margin (e.g. profit) is absolutely on the path to shutting down, and that is what has happened to 100s of hospitals across the nation. You have to generate positive revenue to reinvest in equipment, technology, and faculty, not to mention simple infrastructure maintenance. UPMC kept Braddock open for years longer than it otherwise would have, despite chronic problem of empty beds, plus they had another hospital less than a 6 mile drive away that they implemented free shuttle service to. No one remembers that UPMC offered a fully equipped Braddock for free to any takers, and not even the loudest mouth, Allegheny, took them up on it. UPMC's enemies like to quote big revenue numbers as something meaningful, taken out of the context of a 20+ hospital system with meaningful for-profit subsidiaries and international ventures (that yes, pay taxes like any other for-profit company) that are critical to offsetting UPMC historically dangerously narrow domestic operating margins.

In fact, according to Moody's, the average operating margin for non-profits hospitals & systems in 2015 was 3.4% and a 10.3% median operating cash flow margin. UPMC's operating margin in 2015 was 1.9% and a operating cash flow margin of 6.8%. As I mentioned, UPMC has always operating on a critically narrow operating margin that is only offset by the fact that they're so large of a system with a diversified operational portfolio (like its above-mentioned international division) and fairly good investment income return. Moody's calls UPMC margins "weak," even when including all of those components. Worse yet, when you eliminate investment income and IPO gains from its for profit divisions, UPMC had a 0.0% operating margin and 4.9% operating cash flow margin. Moody's latest assessment states that "these results compare unfavorably" to the rest of the similarly situated non-profit health care industry.

When I say people have to learn more about the health care industry, and not just gobble up the propaganda from Highmark and the SEIU, this is exactly what I mean.

And I'll add to this, just look at the recent expose on the charitably of Pennsylvania hospitals published recent by the unionized SEIU simpatico Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. I have little trouble imagining this was undertaken with the intent to be a gotchya article targeting UPMC. However, it ends up the the academic hospital system on the other end of the state landed in the cross hairs and there was nary a mention of how either UPMC or Allegheny compared. You mean, there was no comparison of how of either local major hospital system did in the local paper's big investigative story? Gee, I wonder why? You just have to sort the raw data posted along with the articles to figure that out.

But I'll provide it for you, because the PG really doesn't want people to take the time to look at it. The PG argued the best measure was charity care as a % of net patient revenue, so here are the 2014 numbers for 170 hospitals in Pennsylvania. Try not to laugh.

Selected most charitable hospitals in the state for FY2014 (latest available)
State rank #, Hospital, % charity care per net patient revenue
1. Shriners Hospital for Children 17.41%
2. St. Joseph's 10.60% (now closed)
5. UPMC McKeesport 4.98%
6. UPMC Mercy 4.09%
7. UPMC Northwest 3.70%
10. Temple University Hospital 3.42%
12. UPMC Hamot 3.08%
17. UPMC Horizon 2.76%
22. UPMC East 2.40%
24. UPMC Bedford 2.33%
26. Children's Hospital of UPMC 2.13%

NATIONAL AVERAGE 2.06%

32. UPMC Presbyterian-Shadyside 1.92%
34. Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC 1.85%
46. UPMC St. Margaret 1.55%
47. Penn State Hershey 1.54%
52. Geisinger Med Center Danville 1.36%
53. Jameson Memorial (now UPMC) 1.31%
55. UPMC Passavant 1.23%

PA STATE AVERAGE 1.19%

67. Jefferson Hospital (Highmark AHN) 0.96%
70. Thomas Jefferson Univ. 0.91%
78. UPMC Altoona 0.74%
99. Excela Westmoreland 0.56%
104. St. Vincent (Highmark AHN) 0.51%
108. Kane Community (UPMC Hamot affiliate) 0.47%
119. Hahnemann Univ Hospital 0.34%
122. Hospital of Univ. Pennsylvania 0.32%
132. Penn Hospital of HUP 0.24%
134. Fox Chase Cancer Center 0.24%
135. Allegheny General Hospital (Highmark AHN) 0.23%
138. Children's Hospital of Philadelphia 0.21%
141. Forbes Hospital (Highmark AHN) 0.19%
143. Penn Presbyterian Med Center 0.16%
153. West Penn Hospital (Highmark AHN) 0.04%
169. Canonsburg Hospital (Highmark AHN) -0.24%
170. Allegheny Valley Hospital (Highmark AHN) -0.41%

Yes, that is right, the PG focused on Penn's hospital system, all the way over in Philadephia, calling it out in a major way, but didn't even mention that local Highmark's Allegheny Health Network hospitals are collectively the absolute most egregious in the state. Surprising? No, not if you read news in places other than the PG.

Last edited:
Now that is funny. From someone who works in healthcare there is no reason to have the government any more involved in anything. The Unaffordable Care Act is abysmal. General MDs are going away, if you want to make any money you have to be a specialist so now there is a shortage of primary physicians.
Aca Is private health insurance Not government provided , let's be clear .

Reactions: OriginalEther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT