ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL QB's

pittdan77

Athletic Director
Jan 5, 2011
The Vast Wasteland of Central Pennsylvania
It's pretty incredible how many clubs are heading into Week 3 with a QB with less than 2 years of experience as a starter.

Jacksonville last night (Gardner Minshew = Uncle Rico, btw)
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Cleveland
NY Jets
Buffalo
Miami
Indy?
KC
NY Giants
New Orleans
Arizona
Possibly Carolina
Garopplo doesn't have a full season of starts for SF
Add in that Mariota (Tennessee), Winston (Tampa), Goff (LA Rams) and Trubisky (Chicago) are all in in year 3.

Did I forget anyone? That's almost 2/3 of the league. It's pretty incredible for a league that puts so much emphasis on that position.

I don't like that BR was injured but frankly the disturbing trend of how things were going with the Steelers the past couple of years, his loss might provide a badly needed kick in the tail for this team from the coaches to the players. I'm not delusional that Rudolph is 'better' than BR ... but maybe his greenness will force the coaches and team to sharpen all their own focus and play with more discipline and urgency. They have seemed very very sloppy and almost indifferent to the obvious internal problems the past couple years.

And in general it's actually more interesting to see new blood at QB for many teams. The same old guys all the time is dull. See enough of guys like Rodgers and Brees in endless tv commercials...

It's pretty incredible how many clubs are heading into Week 3 with a QB with less than 2 years of experience as a starter.

Jacksonville last night (Gardner Minshew = Uncle Rico, btw)
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Cleveland
NY Jets
Buffalo
Miami
Indy?
KC
NY Giants
New Orleans
Arizona
Possibly Carolina
Garopplo doesn't have a full season of starts for SF
Add in that Mariota (Tennessee), Winston (Tampa), Goff (LA Rams) and Trubisky (Chicago) are all in in year 3.

Did I forget anyone? That's almost 2/3 of the league. It's pretty incredible for a league that puts so much emphasis on that position.

Actually Mariota and Winston are in year 5.

I like that so many of them look pretty promising. I think it's a good thing for the league.
Around 10 years ago, there seemed to be tons of crappy starting QB's. Now, it seems like the average starter is completing 2/3rds of their passes with 4 to one TD's to INT's. Is it the QB's, offenses or defenses? I used to love high scoring games but now the games have a totally different rhythm and tempo. It seems easier for young QB's.

I don't like that BR was injured but frankly the disturbing trend of how things were going with the Steelers the past couple of years, his loss might provide a badly needed kick in the tail for this team from the coaches to the players. I'm not delusional that Rudolph is 'better' than BR ... but maybe his greenness will force the coaches and team to sharpen all their own focus and play with more discipline and urgency. They have seemed very very sloppy and almost indifferent to the obvious internal problems the past couple years.

And in general it's actually more interesting to see new blood at QB for many teams. The same old guys all the time is dull. See enough of guys like Rodgers and Brees in endless tv commercials...

They promoted their OC because it's what BR wanted. Now we will see what this offense will look like without BR calling the shots. Maybe.

This is first time I've felt honest excitement for the Steelers in a while. They've been a high floor, low ceiling team for a while now. MR may not be the answer but he's new and I'll take it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT