ADVERTISEMENT

OT: No fans at any NCAA games

So will they still play the Final 4 in a 70,000-seat football stadium? I guess.

Great idea so fans will stay home and go to the mall, restaurant, movie, concert, or other public events.

The " no fans stuff " sounds great but doesn't have any real impact since people will do other public things that may actually be worse.

The same applies to college closings.
Great they let the kids loose to stay in their off campus places or go home.
Instead of a controlled classroom those same kids will be on buses, airplanes, crowded malls, bars, restaurants concerts probably exposing them to more risk.

Not well thought out!

But it checks the sounds good media box!

Not many are confining themselves to their home.

Last edited:
Great idea so fans will stay home and go to the mall, restaurant, movie, concert, or other public events.

The " no fans stuff " sounds great but doesn't have any real impact since people will do other public things that may actually be worse.

Instead of a controlled classroom those same kids will be on buses, airplanes, crowded malls, bars, restaurants concerts probably exposing them to more risk.

Not well thought out!

This has nothing to do with disease containment and everything to do with risk management.

This has nothing to do with disease containment and everything to do with risk management.

If they expose themselves at home visiting malls, movie theatres, restaurants, other events in place of going to a game its exposure which increases risk in a different way!

Thinking some cardboard fans on a stick and pipe in some crowd noise and we’ll never know the difference

Not well thought out!

Stop talking so much

repeating the same drivel in every thread isn’t adding any insight

I get precaution but this is a little ridiculous, If you are sick then stay home, if not live your normal life. I was tested for coronavirus earlier this week (tests came back negative today) I have self quarantined until I got the results. Its just the flu. Guess what? I'm still staying home until I get better. Common sense should prevail.

I get precaution but this is a little ridiculous, If you are sick then stay home, if not live your normal life. I was tested for coronavirus earlier this week (tests came back negative today) I have self quarantined until I got the results. Its just the flu. Guess what? I'm still staying home until I get better. Common sense should prevail.

It's a number of days before symptoms appear where you are contagious.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Does this development help the favorites and hurt the Cinderella’s? Normally they have the crowd support (outside of BBN or Dukies). Or no effect do you guys think?

Does this development help the favorites and hurt the Cinderella’s? Normally they have the crowd support (outside of BBN or Dukies). Or no effect do you guys think?

I think maybe it helps? The majors are used to playing in front of 18K people. It's got to be stranger for them. Probably doesn't matter too much though.

Same here.

I wonder how much these arenas lose without concessions, parking, etc...
Everything. The way these venues make money is almost exclusively tied to concessions and parking. I could be wrong, but I doubt the venue gets to keep anything ticket-related aside from handling fees.

Exactly. I don't know why everyone is feigning such outrage. When everyone else is deciding to cancel events, choosing the opposite is leaving yourself wide open to legal action should something happen as a result. It's a negligence suit waiting to happen.

Plus, a lot of these events are probably insured against this type of catastrophe and they aren't actually losing a lot of revenue which makes it an easy cost-benefit analysis.

The big winner in all of this is CBS/Turner since there will be way more individual TVs tuned to the tournament since there will be no fans and less people watching in bars and parties.

Reactions: 33pitt99
Plus, a lot of these events are probably insured against this type of catastrophe and they aren't actually losing a lot of revenue which makes it an easy cost-benefit analysis.

I was reading something yesterday that said that most insurance policies for big events have clauses in them that basically excludes coverage for events like this. That was why South by Southwest (and some other events) is not offering refunds at all for people who already have tickets, they are only offering to trade for tickets to future years. Their insurance company is NOT covering the cancellation, and they claim that if they were forced to give refunds it would bankrupt them.

Sadly, common sense ain’t so common anymore.

Tell the kids to buy and use condoms.

Don't want to increase STDs while trying to prevent Corona.

This actually is very common sense
There is a pandemic which has no known treatment , is easily transmitted - and because there are so few tests it’s unknown how prevalent it is.

it’s only entertainment .
This is responsible public health

I was referring to people being smart and staying home.

I am fine with the NCAA’s decision.

It would be nice if they would allow some fans tho for the final four or championship game even if it’s played in a smaller arena of maybe 10k or less.

Thoughts on the title game/final four?

Sadly, common sense ain’t so common anymore.
Common sense has nothing to do with this situation, because people can be infected for a number of days before any symptoms show up. In that time, they can then infect others. If you do not know you are infected, then you will not stay home, and you will infect people.

This actually is very common sense
There is a pandemic which has no known treatment , is easily transmitted - and because there are so few tests it’s unknown how prevalent it is.

it’s only entertainment .
This is responsible public health
It’s not common sense, it’s good sense. Different thing. It’s common with the experts, not so with business leaders, certain politicians and self-centered citizens.

To be very frank, the NCAA should cancel the tournament. NBA suspended the season. Why are we putting even our student athletes at risk (travel, etc.). $???

Reactions: PhysicalOatmeal
There's a lot of information on this novel Coronavirus, but some dots aren't being connected. This virus is very contagious; its spreading is inevitable. A big reason for avoiding large gatherings is that it slows its spreading and BUYS US TIME.

1. There are only ~90,000 ICU beds in the entire USA (many already being used)
2. There are a very limited number of ventilators (many already being used)
3. Healthcare workers are already fighting flu season and taking care of "regular" patients.

If many of the people who eventually will get the virus all get it at nearly the same time, the number of patients needing life-saving treatment can quickly outnumber facilities and workers.

TIME is needed to get to warmer, more humid months (slows spread of many viral diseases).
TIME is needed to acquire more specialized treatment beds, more supplies, and better/reliable supply chains.
TIME is needed to develop a vaccine.

Last edited:
To be very frank, the NCAA should cancel the tournament. NBA suspended the season. Why are we putting even our student athletes at risk (travel, etc.). $???

It's a little different with a NBA player already testing positive.

I don't see where there is s big risk here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT