ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pearl Harbor Day

Sad to say this year I’ve seen and heard next to nothing either written or mentioned of it. I’ve not scoured lots of sources, but that actually makes my point (that it is an afterthought for most, now…heck even 9/11 mostly is too). Inevitable as years go by, I suppose. My uncles all served and two of them fought in the Pacific theater of WW2 (my dad was too young but served in the Navy for the Korean War campaign) so it continues to resonate with me. God bless all of those who gave all.

Sad to say this year I’ve seen and heard next to nothing either written or mentioned of it. I’ve not scoured lots of sources, but that actually makes my point (that it is an afterthought for most, now…heck even 9/11 mostly is too). Inevitable as years go by, I suppose. My uncles all served and two of them fought in the Pacific theater of WW2 (my dad was too young but served in the Navy for the Korean War campaign) so it continues to resonate with me. God bless all of those who gave all.
https://triblive.com/news/world/uss-arizona-survivor-honor-those-killed-at-pearl-harbor/

Yes, not much has been mentioned. I just wanted to briefly remember and honor those who sacrificed on that day for our freedom. My late Father fought in the European conflict and flew missions over Germany during WWII. He survived the conflict and obviously came home and had a family. But he was tortured throughout his entire life by the atrocities and killing and died with those memories. I can't imagine what it was like for the servicemen and women who were present during the Pearl Harbor attack. It puts everything else we obsess over (politics, sports, whatever) in perspective.

I visited the Pearl Harbor Memorial a while back. The oil that is still inside the hull of the U.S.S. Arizona can still be seen rising to the water's surface all day and night. It's touching to see that and understand the gravity of what happened there.

God rest the souls of all servicemen and women who perished there.

The NCAA just granted all the Seniors of Hawaii an extra year of eligibility in remembrance of Pearl Harbor attacks and having to put up with Todd Graham.

Yes, not much has been mentioned. I just wanted to briefly remember and honor those who sacrificed on that day for our freedom. My late Father fought in the European conflict and flew missions over Germany during WWII. He survived the conflict and obviously came home and had a family. But he was tortured throughout his entire life by the atrocities and killing and died with those memories. I can't imagine what it was like for the servicemen and women who were present during the Pearl Harbor attack. It puts everything else we obsess over (politics, sports, whatever) in perspective.

I visited the Pearl Harbor Memorial a while back. The oil that is still inside the hull of the U.S.S. Arizona can still be seen rising to the water's surface all day and night. It's touching to see that and understand the gravity of what happened there.

God rest the souls of all servicemen and women who perished there.
I had an uncle who was at Pearl, and later died at Leyte Gulf. Another uncle who survived being shot down in a B17, and was liberated from a German prison camp by the Soviets.
The USS Arizona memorial is a sacred site. The horror of those trapped is unimaginable.

There can’t be many survivors left.
I remember the years pat, when this was a solemn day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT