ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penn State and Uber...

this guy taught at pitt too.. just for the record..

uber is great until you get kidnapped and raped. as an avg looking male, im on the safe side. sure as hell wouldn't let my daughter/wife get in one of these unless accompanied with at least one, preferably more, friends.. really, think about this, it's strangers, contractors not employees, driving you in their car with nothing but a gps as your safeguard..

I used it for the first time in San Francisco when Masha and I went there. No problems. When I had the double bypass operation, I had to use it extensively for two months until I was cleared to drive. No problems. I tended to get the same two drivers probably 75% of the time because I would need to go places at the same time and I tipped well, so they would be on the lookout for me. Haven’t used them in LA since.

We used them in Santa Fe and that was the only place I ever had a problem. I know the downtown area there well — it’s small and I’ve been there a dozen times. We called to get a ride back to our hotel from a restaurant that was about 1.5 miles away.

Normally, we would have walked it but the weather was terrible with sporadic really hard rain. You can watch the car that is picking you up on their App as it gets closer. Our car kept making wrong turns and not getting any closer. It was very strange but it was Indian Market weekend where 100,000 visitors overwhelm a city of 90,000 and there are a lot of road closures, so I figured the driver was hitting street closures or dropping off another fare or both. But the car kept returning to the same corners. I would have cancelled and put in a request for another driver but the App didn’t show another Uber anywhere close. (Santa Fe pretty much rolls up its downtown at 10; many of the bars close then. It was after 10 when we finished dinner.) When the driver finally showed up, a good 15 minutes late, he had a woman with him in the front seat and he said he had to make a couple of stops before he dropped us off — but don’t worry, they were on the way. I could tell at the first stop that he was dealing drugs. The woman, who was wasted, got out, went up to someone on the corner and completed the transaction. I didn’t want to get out on that corner because it was dicey. He made another stop which was totally out of the way and the same thing happened. I was just looking for an exit.

We got a red light and there were some city workers there taking down traffic barriers on another corner of the intersection. We got out of the car. As we were exiting I told him if he wanted to call the cops I would be happy to let them know about his drug dealing. He just drove away. I wasn’t scared.

With Uber you pay by credit card in advance on the App so when we finally got back to our hotel I tried to dispute the charge. But you can’t dispute “pending charges” on my USAA card. So I waited two days and then disputed it. Got the charge reversed.

I never thought we were in physical danger. He was an aging hippie with a ponytail and probably was dealing pot and coke. But, of all the places I wouldn’t have expected any problems with Uber, Santa Fe would have been at the top of the list.

I used one in York pa a few months back, driver stunk of weed, glassy eyed, 99% sure he was as high as a kite.. I was with a few work friends and was annoyed but didn't make an issue of it. it was a short ride but I was a tad nervous..

it is what it is. you use uber, you are gonna get stuff like this sometimes. most often than not, it's an uneventful trip though.. beats getting a dui I guess.

Reactions: CCvNYC
I used one in York pa a few months back, driver stunk of weed, glassy eyed, 99% sure he was as high as a kite.. I was with a few work friends and was annoyed but didn't make an issue of it. it was a short ride but I was a tad nervous..

it is what it is. you use uber, you are gonna get stuff like this sometimes. most often than not, it's an uneventful trip though.. beats getting a dui I guess.
first trip to York? pretty sure that describes 92% of the populace there...

Uber was how I got around Ft Worth TX for a work trip about 3 weeks ago. Never had to Uber before. All drivers were fine and just ordinary folks (it seemed to me). I did take one from Ft Worth to Frisco TX so I could take in a MLS - FC Dallas/LA Galaxy match. This is just about an hour drive. The driver to the game was quiet, seemed very contemplative and relaxed. Just a chill dude. Me, on the other hand, am a talker....about anything. All was fine with me rattling off nonsense until we passed a large structure on the left....driver asked if I knew what it was. I said no, he said that's the Cowboys' practice facility. Went quiet for 5 seconds, then started screaming....(lol, I shat you not)...."HOME OF THE COWBOYS, AMERICA'S TEAM, PITTSBURGH!!! AMERICA'S TEAM!!! HOW YOU LIKE THAT!!! THE COWBOYS!!" haha....I quieted down with the talking a little after that...except to ask his opinion on Leon Lett/Don Beebe. I made it safe to Toyota Stadium and tipped him well, just in case I got matched with him on the ride home. lol

uber is great until you get kidnapped and raped. as an avg looking male, im on the safe side. sure as hell wouldn't let my daughter/wife get in one of these unless accompanied with at least one, preferably more, friends.. really, think about this, it's strangers, contractors not employees, driving you in their car with nothing but a gps as your safeguard..

While getting in any vehicle without knowing the driver is taking a risk, I'd suggest using Uber or Lyft is actually safer than getting in a taxi. There is a computer record of who picks you up, who the driver is, where they live, their license, insurance, where they picked you up and dropped you off, in addition to a record of the route they took, etc. if you get in an Uber or Lyft. Getting in a taxi, unless you photograph their tags and license...you have nothing. Food for thought. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
While getting in any vehicle without knowing the driver is taking a risk, I'd suggest using Uber or Lyft is actually safer than getting in a taxi. There is a computer record of who picks you up, who the driver is, where they live, their license, insurance, where they picked you up and dropped you off, in addition to a record of the route they took, etc. if you get in an Uber or Lyft. Getting in a taxi, unless you photograph their tags and license...you have nothing. Food for thought. Hail to Pitt!
interesting perspective. you are right, the idea of a taxi seems safer and im not sure why. I mean you think they are active W4 type employees but they are contractors too. all they are doing is leasing out the cabs, similar to an Uber driver except it's their own vehicles..

No clue if taxi companies or uber/lyft does MVR (driving records) or criminal reports on their drivers. COmmon sense says yes but who knows.

Thank God no cab driver ever had done anything bad.

Thank God no cab driver ever had done anything bad.
ok ok, I get it.. you are right.. they both suck.. when drunk, walk. or if y'all did what I did, stay home and just drink beer with the neighbors in the cu de sac.. you don't have to get a dui or get raped by an uber or taxi driver..

Food for thought..

I get the Penn State feelings as Pitt people, but amazing that the article went out of the way to mention Pitt. But hey they aren’t r rival and really don’t pay attention to us at all. Lol

Years ago my boss at the time and I were in a cab in Boston, from the airport to my hotel downtown - everything appeared to be fine until a bicycle messenger rode by us. The taxi driver hit the gas, and started swearing. Things like, "I'm going to kill that &^*$#^". And, "He cut me off last week for the last time, and I'm going to kill that @$#!÷%."

The driver was swerving in and out of lanes trying to hit the bike. I don't think the bike rider even knew the cab driver was after him, but he quickly made a left and the cab wasn't able to follow.

We made it to our hotel with no further problems.

I often wondered if the cab driver ever followed through with his threat.

I drove a taxi at night for Arlington Red Top in Arlington, VA for almost two years while I was in law school, 1974-75. The screening process was basically non-existent, other than to make sure I had a driver’s license. Maybe they figured that because I was in law school, I was safe to hire.

Driving a taxi was much safer back then. It probably was my favorite job ever. I had to focus on my driving and that got me off focusing on school. In the DC area you tend to meet a lot of very interesting people. I used to keep a couple of my law books on the front seat, but that was more of a prop for being a conversation starter than anything else. All of the major pickup points had designations: Arlington 1 was the Pentagon. Arlington 10 was my favorite: Wilson Towers, a high rise complex across the Key Bridge from Georgetown. It was full of young women who worked in the area, many on Capitol Hill. The law books often were very helpful in starting conversations with them.

Yeah - given all of that, you’d think the risk they would take in trying something to put you in danger is a lot greater than the risk we take riding in one.

Been taking it for years here and there with no real issues, sometimes don’t feel like talking, sometimes you meet some interesting drivers.

What’s scary is the story of the college girl trying to find her uber and ending up in a random car, and the driver ended up killing her. That’s why Uber is pushing people to check license plates before getting in a car, hell anyone could have an uber sticker even to try to fool a drunk girl.

I agree. I’ve used Uber for over 5 years. NEVER had an issue. Have used Uber in NYC, Philly, Boston, San Francisco, LA, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Chicago, DC, Baltimore, throughput NJ, Orlando, New Orleans, etc. and their suburbs.

Yeah - given all of that, you’d think the risk they would take in trying something to put you in danger is a lot greater than the risk we take riding in one.

Been taking it for years here and there with no real issues, sometimes don’t feel like talking, sometimes you meet some interesting drivers.

What’s scary is the story of the college girl trying to find her uber and ending up in a random car, and the driver ended up killing her. That’s why Uber is pushing people to check license plates before getting in a car, hell anyone could have an uber sticker even to try to fool a drunk girl.

If you think it is your ride, ask them what their name is instead of asking if they are “X” before you get in. Make THEM tell you their name.

Reactions: str61166
If you think it is your ride, ask them what their name is instead of asking if they are “X” before you get in. Make THEM tell you their name.
A lot of the time they ask what your name is, but this is a good idea too.

I use Uber mostly outside of the US. For some reason I don’t mind less than comfortable when I travel. But goodness, I don’t know how these guys make money in some of these places. Sometime they get $2 for driving 30 minutes.

It’s the same way with public transport. Seems much better when I am in other countries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT